I Know How Is Babby Formed, Thursday, questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

I Know How Is Babby Formed, Thursday, questions

We have been getting to know Christa Terry from the blog I Know How Is Babby Formed all week long. She's been kind enough to introduce herself, share 20 facts about herself, and share her favorite blog post of all time.

Here is our #FeaturedParentBlogger with her son, Hunter.

Today, she's taking questions from YOU! So don't be shy. Ask away!

Readers, feel free to stop by to say "hi" to Christa or ask her a question. We'll be chatting with her all week long in these forums so we hope you'll stay with us.

Also, learn more about our past Featured Parent Bloggers. Want to nominate a blogger (or yourself) for this series? Just post a link to the blog here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirkis. Show kirkis's posts

Re: I Know How Is Babby Formed, Thursday, questions

How do you plan to deal with "screen time" and the media in general?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christa-Terry. Show Christa-Terry's posts

In response to kirkis' comment:

How do you plan to deal with "screen time" and the media in general?

Great question! So far, our main strategies have been:

1. Not having cable or satellite TV in the house. It's Netflix or DVDs - both of which P. (our 4 year old) needs our help to put on - which means when there is going to be screen time it's up to us when and what it is.

2. We turned Sunday into Family Movie Night and typically don't watch TV outside of that. It's something to look forward to, we all watch together, and the mister and I can talk to P. while we watch about any quesitonable content.

3. In terms of games and apps, we look for things that are at least somewhat creative in nature. We like the Toca Boca series of games.

What's challenging is that because we do limit media, even for ourselves, P. typically doesn't see things like commercials so we don't have a lot of natural opportunities to discuss what advertising is and how it works. But when it does come up, I'm pretty frank about marketing since I've been in that business - I want my kids to know about all the tricks advertising people use to make us want things we don't need.

Bo does see the screen during Family Movie Night, but so far hasn't been interested.

Smile

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gecko315. Show Gecko315's posts

Hi Christa,

How do you handle working through awkward social situations?  For example, my son (4) and I were in a local lunch spot when a family walked in.  They had an adult child with mental retardation.  My son noticed right away, and said loudly that his face was funny.  Another time he remarked loudly that someone "talked funny" or that their skin was a different color than his.   

I am all for open conversations about these things, and at the same time I don't want to offend or make others feel uncomfortable.  Have you ever had situations like this?  What have you done?  

Today, she's taking questions from YOU! So don't be shy. Ask away!

Readers, feel free to stop by to say "hi" to Christa or ask her a question. We'll be chatting with her all week long in these forums so we hope you'll stay with us.

Also, learn more about our past Featured Parent Bloggers. Want to nominate a blogger (or yourself) for this series? Just post a link to the blog here.

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christa-Terry. Show Christa-Terry's posts

In response to Gecko315's comment:

Hi Christa,

How do you handle working through awkward social situations?  For example, my son (4) and I were in a local lunch spot when a family walked in.  They had an adult child with mental retardation.  My son noticed right away, and said loudly that his face was funny.  Another time he remarked loudly that someone "talked funny" or that their skin was a different color than his.   

I am all for open conversations about these things, and at the same time I don't want to offend or make others feel uncomfortable.  Have you ever had situations like this?  What have you done?  

I have to say, we've been unbelievably lucky in this regard... so far. Mostly P. has kept her questions quiet, but I don't expect that will be the case forever. And this exact topic actually came up at our Mommy's Wine Night last night because it seems to be something everyone with a 4 year old is dealing with to some extent!

As to how I'll handle it when it inevitably does become an issue, I think I'm going to first and foremost address the fact that it's just not polite to comment loudly about a person to other people. Doesn't matter about what - it could be anything from the shoes they're wearing to using a wheelchair. You don't point, you don't describe what you're looking at in your outside voice... and if you have a question, you can ask mama quietly. I'll answer as best I can.

So far, when P. has expressed curiosity regarding skin color or size or baldness (which was a favorite attribute to point out when she was much smaller) she's been satisfied by my explaining that people come in all shapes and sizes and colors and styles and some people are sick and some people can't walk, etc. etc. and diversity is good because wouldn't it be boring if everyone is exactly the same? It's a bit of a feel-good cop out, but hey, she's four ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Can you give moms tips for meeting new mom friends? :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christa-Terry. Show Christa-Terry's posts

In response to BDCKristi's comment:

Can you give moms tips for meeting new mom friends? :)

I totally got sidetracked by life and didn't see this, but YES! First, I could totally see why someone would want tips. Meeting moms can be more stressful than dating, for goodness sakes! And not every mom's group will be a good fit. Here's an excerpt from one of our blog posts dealing with this very topic that originally appeared at Mom Meet Mom:

Get out of the house.

Whether you’re a working mom or stay-at-home mom, when it comes to managing your kids, it is almost always easier to stay around the house. But the longer you stay in, the more isolating it will become. Get dressed, pack the kiddos up and get out of the house!

Stay local.

Whether you venture to a park, go for a walk or hit the mall, try to keep it local. The farther you travel from your home, the less likely you’ll meet moms that live in your area. It’s much more difficult to manage new mom friendships with moms who live more than 20 minutes from you, especially when you factor in naps, food, and activity schedules.

Keep your head up.

It’s easy to get caught up in your own world and your kids, but try to stay aware of the people around you. I can’t count the number of times I’ve walked passed another mom who was so trapped in what she was doing that she was completely unaware of her surroundings. When you’re out and about keep your head up and eyes open for other moms.

Break the ice.

This is where it starts to sound a bit like the dating scene. Most people have trouble initiating conversation with complete strangers. Remember that all moms share an unspoken universal bond with other moms. You immediately have something in common and something to talk about. Take a deep breath and leverage that commonality:

And once you do meet some awesome moms, here are some tips for keeping your new friendship going even if you disagree on some of the mothering fundamentals! Very few moms agree on everything but that doesn't mean you can't be besties :)