I Know How Is Babby Formed, Tuesday, 20 facts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

I Know How Is Babby Formed, Tuesday, 20 facts

Our #FeaturedParentBlogger this week is Christa from the blog I Know How Is Babby Formed. Yesterday, she introduced herself and told us about her blog. Here is Christa with her son Hunter.

Today, we want to know 20 facts about you, Christa.

Readers, feel free to stop by to say "hi" to Christa or ask her a question. We'll be chatting with her all week long in these forums so we hope you'll stay with us. Find out more about each day's theme.

Also, learn more about our past Featured Parent Bloggers. Want to nominate a blogger (or yourself) for this series? Just post a link to the blog here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christa-Terry. Show Christa-Terry's posts

Re: I Know How Is Babby Formed, Tuesday, 20 facts

1. I've been dancing since I was in grade school. I tapped while pregnant. And now I'm getting ready for a new session of tap, ballet, and adult studio company classes to start in September. It's going to be awesome!

2. I lived in Berlin for a while when I was a teenager. Since I was staying with family who I didn't know all that well, I pretty much ran wild. Cutting classes, riding the U-Bahn all around the city without paying (sorry), and exploring all of the amazing greenspaces. Oddly enough, I'd call it a civilizing experience. I don't know if I could stomach letting my kids do the same thing, though.

3. I don't think being a mom is as hard as some people say it should be. Maybe it's because I just don't get that competitive when it comes to Kindermusic or birthday parties or extra-curricular activities or (eventually) test scores. Maybe it comes naturally. Or maybe I'm dropping some ball I never even knew existed!

4. I had a miscarriage between my pregnancy with P. and my pregnancy with Bo. Miscarriage is incredibly common, but mine was complicated in the medical sense by the fact that it began as a triplet pregnancy and then reduced to a twin pregnancy before both babies' hearts stopped beating in the second trimester.

5. I have a Roman numeral 3 (III) tattooed on the inside of my left forearm as a memorial of sorts. Someday soon I want to get P.'s and Bo's birthdates tattooed on the inside of my right forearm.

6. I'm shy. Like really super duper shy. As a grownup I've developed some strategies for dealing with my shyness but it's really easy to get me flustered in a situation where I have to talk to new people. Public speaking? Forget it. I'll do it, but I'm terrified the entire time.

7. I went back to being a WAHM so I could be home while my little ones are babies. But I also worked from home for years before I ever had children because I find it easier to write and edit without a ton of distractions. And considering how shy I am, having to do the whole water cooler chatter, going to lunch, "What did you do this weekend?" thing is the worst. I just work better in solitude.

8. P. was a preemie. Until her release from the NICU and for a few months afterward, I thought we had it SO hard. Then I started working for an organization that sends care packages to parents of preemies in the NICU and who've made the transition home – and I realized how good we had it with our 34 weeker. Now I'm a little embarrassed about how rough I thought we had it.

9. I consider myself a Christian but haven't found a church that really resonates with me except for the one my aunt attends in Vermont – and that's kind of a hike for Sunday services.

10. I have a love/hate relationship with the breast pump. I was so afraid that P. would stop nursing or start to lose weight that I pumped to keep my supply strong for her entire first year – even though at some point she had started to refuse bottles. Now I'm still paranoid about my supply, and I'm pumping again. *sigh*

11. I signed up for a one-day pass to officiate at my mom's wedding to her longtime girlfriend before it was legal in their home state. I felt incredibly proud to be a resident of MA, my adopted home state, that day!

12. I started my career as a journalist but could not take it. I truly don't understand how some people can be that thick skinned – I couldn't distance myself from the citizen who'd just lost everything in a fire or the mom whose son had been killed or the group whose community center was closing. I'd finish up an interview and then go cry in my car. Plus, remember how shy I am? That didn't help.

13. I used to write horoscopes for a living. I'm not an astrologer, but that apparently was not important to my employer.

14. I am nearly impossible to find online if you're searching for me using my maiden name. That didn't used to be the case, but my best professional writing and my use of my real name on websites post-dates my marriage. I like it this way, because it means less people from my past can Google me successfully.

15. Akismet thinks I'm a spammer :( I'm shut out of commenting on so many awesome blogs because my comments go straight to spam. 

16. I would never deny that being a mom is sometimes stressful and takes a lot of effort, but I hate when people call it a job or work or a career because in my head, that makes motherhood sound awful. I don't want anyone putting what I do for kids on the same level as what I do for income. The former is SO much more important than the latter. Equating the two devalues both.

17. I am a little crazy when it comes to making my little ones' childhood not suck because my childhood (all the way up to young adulthood) was kind of awful. That means I sometimes try a little too hard when it comes to stuff like dance lessons or presents or birthday parties or talking it out.

18. I think more grownups should try new things. When I talk about going to dance class or taking pottery or working on my memoir or DIYing some nutty project around the house, invariably I get someone going "I wish I could do that." And I always say, "Well, why don't you?" In this game called life, beginners are welcome!

19. I love classic Star Trek and ST:tng. I have seen every episode of both series multiple times. The mister and I spent the day after my water broke before I had Bo watching the original movies. And I took Bo to his first convention when he was just seven months old. You would not believe how the cast members open up when you're carrying a cute baby! I even got to hug George Takei while babywearing – how cool is that?

20. I love meeting new people, even as shy as I am. I'm not always the best at keeping up with the people I care about but I love being able to say I have friends all over the world! You can bet blogging helps with that.

Now tell me something cool about YOU!

Co-Founder of http://mommeetmom.com
    On the web at http://christaterry.com and her personal blog

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from momslifesavers. Show momslifesavers's posts

WOW! I love your list!

Pretty cool that we have a Berlin connection...we should see if our families know each other! And I totally get the running about Berlin thing...it was more fun when the wall was up, but REALLY fun when our entire family could finally be together when the wall came down!

I think we often replay our childhoods in our minds as we parent.  We want better.  I bet you're an awesome mom! THANK YOU for sharing your life with us!

Christine

www.momslifesavers.blogspot.com

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

#1 - I also took dance growing up. I love that you are doing it as an adult!

#10 - I hated pumping!

#11 - Cool! Where did you grow up?

#12 - Been there, done that. Ugh. It is hard not to get emotional sometimes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christa-Terry. Show Christa-Terry's posts

Thanks for the kind words!

At the time, I lived in Zehlendorf and went to the Droste-Hulshoff Gymnasium - ring any bells? My cousins went to the JFK School. Prior to that, my mom was actually born in West Berlin :)

In response to momslifesavers' comment:

WOW! I love your list!

Pretty cool that we have a Berlin connection...we should see if our families know each other! And I totally get the running about Berlin thing...it was more fun when the wall was up, but REALLY fun when our entire family could finally be together when the wall came down!

I think we often replay our childhoods in our minds as we parent.  We want better.  I bet you're an awesome mom! THANK YOU for sharing your life with us!

Christine

www.momslifesavers.blogspot.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christa-Terry. Show Christa-Terry's posts

In response to BDCKristi's comment:

#1 - I also took dance growing up. I love that you are doing it as an adult!

#10 - I hated pumping!

#11 - Cool! Where did you grow up?

#12 - Been there, done that. Ugh. It is hard not to get emotional sometimes.

I was born in Florida, but grew up primarily on Long Island and then moved to NYC in my early adulthood. I still think of moving back to NYC since it's so family-friendly now, but I love MA!