It's Not Like a Cat, Thursday, questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCFeaturesEditor. Show BDCFeaturesEditor's posts

We've been getting to know our #FeaturedParentBlogger Julia Magnusson from the blog It's Not Like a Cat all week long.

On Monday, she introduced herself. On Tuesday, she shared 20 facts about herself. On Wednesday, she shared her favorite post(s) of all time.

Today, she's taking questions from YOU! So don't be shy. Feel free to ask her one.

Readers, check out Julia featured on Parent Buzz this week. And feel free to read about past Featured Parent Bloggers. Also, learn how this series works and nominate a blogger you enjoy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newtonmom2. Show newtonmom2's posts

Re: It's Not Like a Cat, Thursday, questions

In response to BDCFeaturesEditor's comment:

We've been getting to know our #FeaturedParentBlogger Julia Magnusson from the blog It's Not Like a Cat all week long.

On Monday, she introduced herself. On Tuesday, she shared 20 facts about herself. On Wednesday, she shared her favorite post(s) of all time.

Today, she's taking questions from YOU! So don't be shy. Feel free to ask her one.

Readers, check out Julia featured on Parent Buzz this week. And feel free to read about past Featured Parent Bloggers. Also, learn how this series works and nominate a blogger you enjoy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newtonmom2. Show newtonmom2's posts

Capability: Mom

Love your blog - your writing is beautifully honest and a joy to read. We all talk about life balance and I know may not feel balanced but you are amazing and work, have small children and manage to be in great shape...tips? Do you have any tried and true strategies? I'm seat of my pants over here :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhBabyBoston. Show OhBabyBoston's posts

I'm not a runner and I know you are...so here are some things I think about.  My husband runs as well and I live near Fresh Pond so I always see people running and wonder these things:

What are you listening to?  When I workout I don't have my own soundtrack.  I was always a dancer so the soundtrack is provided and when I walk or run I like to hear the world around me.

What are you thinking?  What I love about dance and working out is that I tune out my very verbose voice in my head.  Do you get that quiet disconnect from every day when you run?

As I've gotten older, I've learned that I can get that quiet calm not only from dancing but from cooking, sewing, and doing creative projects.  What other things do you love to do (but of course never have enough time for...we are parents after all) that let's you coast...you know what I mean?  Disconnect from the daily to do list?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not Like a Cat. Show Not Like a Cat's posts

In response to newtonmom2's comment:

Wow, thank you so much!! Sometimes it's hard to be honest (especially if I know that my parents, fellow preschool parents, and possible clients are reading!!). I have no tips. I run because otherwise I'd probably just die. If I don't keep moving, I end up in a huge funk and slow down and stop. And then I can't move anymore at all. So I need to keep moving, and running is the ONE THING I still have from before I became a mom. The one thing. I cannot let go of it; I have to keep doing it or (not to sound dire) I might sink below the waves (wow, aren't you sorry you asked??). :)

I don't know how I do it. I'm grumpy a lot and probably drink too much wine. My house is a huge mess, and I never fold the laundry. And I don't really socialize, so that probably gives me more time to work and run.

Signed,

Eeyore

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EvilJoy. Show EvilJoy's posts

Love your blog and very excited to see you here.  

I love to run.  I'm finding my biggest obstalce in running in my own self.  I want to be faster.  But when I push it I HATE it.  I am trying to learn to be happy with my pace and just run to run.  Not to beat my husband (which is impossible at this point in time), not to impress others.  But just to run because I love how I feel.

Do you have any advice how to get rid of this demon?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not Like a Cat. Show Not Like a Cat's posts

In response to OhBabyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What are you listening to?  When I workout I don't have my own soundtrack.  I was always a dancer so the soundtrack is provided and when I walk or run I like to hear the world around me.

I prefer to run with other people than alone, especially for long runs. It's my social time, and it distracts me on long runs. But when I run alone, I listen to pop music, stuff I like the lyrics to and the sound of. 

What are you thinking?  What I love about dance and working out is that I tune out my very verbose voice in my head.  Do you get that quiet disconnect from every day when you run?

When I run alone and don't listen to music, it's GREAT thinking time! One time I came up with a book proposal (still need to finish drafting it, etc.). I solve problems and come up with creative ideas. Sadly, I don't run alone and quitely often enough.

As I've gotten older, I've learned that I can get that quiet calm not only from dancing but from cooking, sewing, and doing creative projects.  What other things do you love to do (but of course never have enough time for...we are parents after all) that let's you coast...you know what I mean?  Disconnect from the daily to do list?

I'm not very good at the "quiet calm." I tend to avoid it at all costs lately. :( That's not so good, probably. I'm online way too much. I should get offline and resume knitting, book-making, and the other things I used to do and enjoy. I really need more "disconnecting." Thanks for that reminder. I find you really inspiring!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newtonmom2. Show newtonmom2's posts

In response to Not Like a Cat's comment:

In response to newtonmom2's comment:

Wow, thank you so much!! Sometimes it's hard to be honest (especially if I know that my parents, fellow preschool parents, and possible clients are reading!!). I have no tips. I run because otherwise I'd probably just die. If I don't keep moving, I end up in a huge funk and slow down and stop. And then I can't move anymore at all. So I need to keep moving, and running is the ONE THING I still have from before I became a mom. The one thing. I cannot let go of it; I have to keep doing it or (not to sound dire) I might sink below the waves (wow, aren't you sorry you asked??). :)

I don't know how I do it. I'm grumpy a lot and probably drink too much wine. My house is a huge mess, and I never fold the laundry. And I don't really socialize, so that probably gives me more time to work and run.

Signed,

Eeyore

I have to move physically as well (even if I don't want to) to stay sane/nice, too and it is smart to keep up something that so defines you and makes you feel good. Walking is my daily routine and I walk with friends who helo me keep things in perspective.

The years you are in are highly physical and hands on - hats off to you for not folding laundry (biggest waste of time...ever) and making your house family friendly (read not pinterest ready).

Can't decide if I'm Piglet or Kanga today.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JD Honest Mom. Show JD Honest Mom's posts

You're really honest on your blog, which I love. What's "the line" that you won't cross? Are there subjects you won't go near?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCFeaturesEditor. Show BDCFeaturesEditor's posts

Please tell us the best parenting advice you've ever been given.

And please share with us a parenting challenge and how you overcame it.

Tell us something unexpected that's happened to you because of your blog.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not Like a Cat. Show Not Like a Cat's posts

In response to EvilJoy's comment:

Love your blog and very excited to see you here.  

I love to run.  I'm finding my biggest obstalce in running in my own self.  I want to be faster.  But when I push it I HATE it.  I am trying to learn to be happy with my pace and just run to run.  Not to beat my husband (which is impossible at this point in time), not to impress others.  But just to run because I love how I feel.

Do you have any advice how to get rid of this demon?

That can be a tough one. What about running with others--with friends or a local running group? Would that help? Or doing an occasional track workout with a frind who is of similar speed? Or running some races, which might motivate you to be faster (e.g.., let's say you finish a 5K in 24 minutes, so you determine to beat that time by 10 seconds in your next 5K).

Or, you could be happy with your pace! If running makes you happy, keep doing what you're doing! If it's not fun anymore, you might not run anymore. So then what's the point of the speedwork? :)

Also: Someone's always going to be faster than you. And plenty of people will always be slower than you. Ultimately, running should be fun. I implore you to keep it that way. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KathyRadigan. Show KathyRadigan's posts

I think it's so cool that you are a carpenter, I know you said you don't want to fix up a house but is there a project you would break out your tools to do?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not Like a Cat. Show Not Like a Cat's posts

In response to JD Honest Mom's comment:

You're really honest on your blog, which I love. What's "the line" that you won't cross? Are there subjects you won't go near?

Hahahahaha. Ahem. The line I won't cross is admitting anything that ... Let's just say that in the past when I was extremely honest about what I was going through with depression, several people became concerned. Deeply concerned. I also avoid sharing thought that will have anyone pointing and screaming, "Unfit mother!!" even though I think many other moms share those thoughts sometimes. ;)

Marital stuff is also private. And I try very, very hard not to violate my kids' privacy (which is why so few pictures and stories about my older child get posted anymore; he wants his privacy).

If I were anonymous, I'd delve much further into topics such as depression, marriage, and the challenges of motherhood.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not Like a Cat. Show Not Like a Cat's posts

In response to BDCFeaturesEditor's comment:

Please tell us the best parenting advice you've ever been given.

And please share with us a parenting challenge and how you overcame it.

Tell us something unexpected that's happened to you because of your blog.

Best parenting advice: "This will pass." It's so true: cluster feeding, sleep issues, behavioral stuff, nap problems, pinching....it all passes. It sure can be hard to wait it out, though!!

Parenting challenge: This is a tough one! Honestly, it's hard to admit, but I can be really irritable sometimes, due to depression. I mean, REALLY irritable. My biggest parenting challenge is keeping that in check (or trying to!!), especially when I myself am tired, stressed, impatient, and frustrated. So I guess I am my own biggest parenting challenge. *sigh*

Something unexpected because of my blog: The most recent thing was yesterday's appearance of the Pretzel Crisps truck, of course! Or strangers telling me I threw them a life buoy. Those emails are always a surprise and always a reminder to stay honest and keep blogging.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not Like a Cat. Show Not Like a Cat's posts

In response to KathyRadigan's comment:

I think it's so cool that you are a carpenter, I know you said you don't want to fix up a house but is there a project you would break out your tools to do?

Yeah. OK, I'd break out my tools to....fix up an old house. As long as I didn't have two little people underfoot fighting each other with hammers, and if I didn't have editing and writing deadlines and there were no Facebook and I didn't have to cook all of the meals or do the laundry. And if it weren't urgent, if I were working with a smart and friendly crew, and if time and/or money weren't an issue. Then I would happily get back into carpentry!!

I guess I just cannot imagine trying to fit it into my current life/lifestyle. And maybe I don't quite want to resume it as a career.

How about you--is there any former career you had that you cannot imagine yourself doing again?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beacon4551. Show beacon4551's posts

Hi,

I've been struggling with some "darkness" that past week or so. It is also the same week that I was planning to get back to running and I just find myself on the couch watching movies instead. How do you snap yourself out of the "dark times?"

Thanks!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not Like a Cat. Show Not Like a Cat's posts

In response to beacon4551's comment:

Hi,

I've been struggling with some "darkness" that past week or so. It is also the same week that I was planning to get back to running and I just find myself on the couch watching movies instead. How do you snap yourself out of the "dark times?"

Thanks!

I don't know. I usually make commitments to run with my running friends/running group, but this time I'm not even doing that. I'm having a really hard time right now. I guess we just wait it out and try not to be alone to much and hope things improve.

I'm sorry I'm not more helpful. This feels like the worst week for me to answer questions about anything, actually!

I really hope you feel better. You know what--we should plan to run a 5K together!! Let's do that! hugs to you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not Like a Cat. Show Not Like a Cat's posts

Actually, one of the most unexpected and coolest things that happened to me because of my blog was getting to sit down with Gary Hirschberg, founder of Stonyfield Yogurt, for a chat about the yogurt industry, GMOs, and farming in general. That was great!