Red Shutters, Monday introduction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Red Shutters, Monday introduction

Our Featured Parent Blogger this week is Kimberly Hensle Lowrance, who blogs at Red Shutters. Welcome, Kimberly! Please tell us about yourself and your blog.

Attention readers: Feel free to post comments and questions for Kimberly in this thread. Or just stop by to say "hi." And please come back throughout the week to learn more about Kimberly and her blog. We'll be chatting with her every day in this forum.

Go here to learn more about this series and to nominate a local parenting blogger (or yourself!).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedShutters. Show RedShutters's posts

Re: Red Shutters, Monday introduction

Hello! I’m Kimberly from Red Shutters. Thanks for visiting me here on Boston.com. I’m thrilled to be the Featured Parent Blogger of the Week, and look forward to your comments and questions.

I’ve been writing at Red Shutters since 2008. Back then, I started my blog largely to share updates about my new baby with my family. That “new baby” is scheduled to start kindergarten this fall, and my blog baby has grown up, too.

Thanks to my connections with networks like Boston Parent Bloggers and others, Red Shutters has evolved into a place beyond baby pictures; it’s where I write about parenting and family, as well as my personal interests (books, travel) and facing the big 4-0. It has been a joy to nurture the growth of Red Shutters and to have the blog as an outlet to explore the big and small issues of life. I have been grateful to my readers and to all those who shared their support for this effort over the years.

On Red Shutters, you’ll meet my beloved cast of characters: my husband whom I met more than 10 years ago on Match.com (thank you, Internet!); my 5-year-old son, R, who loves Legos, books, and superheroes; and my 3-year-old daughter, G, who loves her brother, music, and the color pink.

We live outside Boston (yes, in the suburbs!) and I work in the city, a mix that affords a best of both worlds—though the commute on Storrow Drive, I could do without. I work in the nonprofit field, where I have spent nearly 20 years at educational organizations. By focusing on mission-driven work, I've been able to develop a professional life that provides an engaging outlet for my goal of, hopefully, being someone whose life is marked with valuable contributions to others. It’s a lesson I hope my children learn, too.

My ongoing (or, never-ending?) challenge, of course, is juggling. Juggling family, marriage, career, friends, and life. This is the quest of every working professional, I think—parent or not—and while sometimes it’s overwhelming, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I hope you enjoy reading Red Shutters, and that you’ll tell me what you think by commenting on posts or reaching out. You can follow me on
    Twitter (@redshutters), where I try to be clever in 140 characters. And, you can find me on Instagram (@redshutters), Pinterest (@redshutters), and Facebook, too.

Thanks for reading!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

So happy to see you here, Kimberly! Have fun!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedShutters. Show RedShutters's posts

In response to LilMisBusy's comment:

So happy to see you here, Kimberly! Have fun!

Thanks, Cheryl! So glad to see YOU!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dennehypr. Show dennehypr's posts

This is a terrific blog and a super nice blogger to follow... congrats on the Boston.com spotlight!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedShutters. Show RedShutters's posts

In response to dennehypr's comment:

This is a terrific blog and a super nice blogger to follow... congrats on the Boston.com spotlight!

Thanks so much, Julie!!!