Red Shutters, Thursday, questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Red Shutters, Thursday, questions

We've been learning more about Kimberly and her blog Red Shutters all week long. Thanks for spending time with our readers this week, Kimberly!

She introduced herself on Monday, shared 20 facts about herself and her blog on Tuesday, shared her favorite post on Wednesday, and today she is taking questions from YOU!

So don't be shy, ask away! Or just stop by to say "hi" and let her know you are reading.

Go here to learn more about this series or to nominate a local parenting blogger (or yourself!).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedShutters. Show RedShutters's posts

Re: Red Shutters, Thursday, questions

Thanks so much for visiting the Featured Parent Blogger Forum here at Boston.com!

I invite you to take a look at my latest post at Red Shutters (http://redshuttersblog.com/2013/05/having-it-all-2.html). Perhaps it will inspire you to ask a question or two!

Enjoy the gorgeous weather!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

Speaking of the gorgeous weather, what are some of your favorite places to take the kids in the Boston area?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedShutters. Show RedShutters's posts

In response to LilMisBusy's comment:

Speaking of the gorgeous weather, what are some of your favorite places to take the kids in the Boston area?

Great question! We love the Minute Man National Park in Concord for walking, biking and a bit of history. The Children's Museum in Boston is always a sure-fire hit with our kids. We also like going to the Mass Audubon website to check out a new reserve or park, though Drumlin Farm in Lincoln is always a favorite. Speaking of favorites, I always enjoy taking the kids to the DeCordova Museum, also in Lincoln, which is a terrific way to expose them to great art and to get a chance to run around on their beautiful land.

What about you? What's your favorite things to do with kids in the Boston area?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Kimberly, can you share with us a tough parenting moment and how you handled it?

Also, how do you find the time to write? Do you schedule it or wing it?

It sounds like you've traveled a lot. What is your dream trip? Also, can you share some of your favorite tips for travel with kids?

What's your least favorite household chore and why?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedShutters. Show RedShutters's posts

In response to BDCKristi's comment:

Kimberly, can you share with us a tough parenting moment and how you handled it?

Also, how do you find the time to write? Do you schedule it or wing it?

It sounds like you've traveled a lot. What is your dream trip? Also, can you share some of your favorite tips for travel with kids?

What's your least favorite household chore and why?

Hi there!

Tough parenting moment? The challenge I'm facing right now is a very strong-willed and defiant 3-year-old! Whoever said 2 was rough hadn't made it to 3! My daught (the aforementioned 3-year-old) is being testing boundaries. The best strategy I have for it is to be patient and firm and remember that life can tough so a strong girl will be a blessing some day!

Finding time to write Red Shutters is one of my biggest challenges. I grab time here and there, planning ahead with posts as much as possible. Fortunately, my husband is very supportive of the blog and helps me out by taking the kids on mini-adventures (biking, fishing, etc.) so I can hide away to write.

Speaking of adventures... I do love to travel, though the frequency of these going overseas has decreased since the kids came along. Now that they are getting older, I am looking forward to more trips with them. My dream trip is Antarctica, and hope someday to make it a reality.

Any parent who has traveled with kids knows that it can be hard. Planning ahead is key: pack snacks, books, extra clothes, and surprises. Our latest must-have travel item is the iPad stocked with educational games (such the World Atlas game from Barefoot Books and anything from PBS Kids) and movies the kids have been looking forward to seeing (Madagascar is my son's favorite).

Household chore I hate the most? Easy: washing the floor! It gets dirty 2 minutes later. I am seriously thinking about getting a dog who will sit below my daughter at mealtimes to get all of the crumbs!

Thanks for the questions!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JD Honest Mom. Show JD Honest Mom's posts

Do you ever get writer's block? And when you do - what do you do to conquer it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedShutters. Show RedShutters's posts

In response to JD Honest Mom's comment:

Do you ever get writer's block? And when you do - what do you do to conquer it?

Such a good question, JD! Since I have to balance a career + family + Red Shutters, I have a limited time to write, which is challenging. I have learned to grab time to write whenever I can, to not post anything I don't feel good about, and to not to try to write if I am stressed out or super tired, as that most usually leads to writer's block. Thanks for reading!