Viola Cay, Monday, introduction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCFeaturesEditor. Show BDCFeaturesEditor's posts

ViolaCay, Monday, introduction

Happy Monday, everyone! Our #FeaturedParentBlogger this week is Sharon Reilly at the blog ViolaCay. Please join us in welcoming her!

Sharon, can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your blog?

Readers, stay with us this week as we learn more about Sharon and her blog. Feel free to say hi and ask questions throughout the week. Each day's post will have a different theme. We invite you to read about past Featured Parent Bloggers and nominate a blogger you enjoy as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ViolaCay. Show ViolaCay's posts

Re: Viola Cay, Monday, introduction

Hi everyone! So excited to be the featured parent blogger this week. We're going to have some fun.

My name is Sharon and I blog at ViolaCay - Not Your Grandmother's Blog.

I live just outside Boston with my husband and three kids. They are all 2 years apart 3, 5, & 7! I am very lucky to be able to stay at home with them and also work part time blogging and video editing.  My husband is an architect and works out of a studio in the backyard. My kids are all so close in age that for the past six years there has always been someone napping so we stay pretty close to home. We all spend A LOT of time together. I joke that it’s a good thing I not only love my husband, but actually like him too.

I remember the first time I ever heard the word blog. It was in 2005. My wedding photographer told me I should start a blog for my business. I said "What the heck is a blog?" About a year later I started that blog and I have had some sort of blog going ever since. 

ViolaCay is my latest project. I wanted something sort of retro and fun. Hence the tagline Not your Grandmother's Blog. Viola is my paternal grandmother's name and Cay is my maternal grandmother's name. I feel like I'm a combination of the two of them in many ways. I write about parenting, kids, family, travel, cooking, fitness, everything and anything really. I'm what they call a lifestyle blogger :-)

But we're all here under the moms tab on Boston.com aren't we? So let's talk momhood! 

I love being a SAHM, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss working at all.  I'm a soccer, gymnastics, hockey, drama and dance mom. 

In my house we have a hodge podge of issues going on: ADHD, food allergies, and Chronic Motor Tic Disorder. I can't get anyone to eat their vegetables, or put their shoes on in a timely fashion. I struggle to keep a tidy home. My own inability to leave a horizontal surface clear of clutter doesn't help much.

Mommy wars bore me. Unless you're beating your kid I don't have time to judge you. We've all got much more important stuff to do than judge each other don't we? We practice mostly gentle discipline with some yelling thrown in for good measure. I breast fed and formula fed. I had a csection and then two natural VBACs.  I buy frozen nuggets and also make them from scratch. But sometime dinner is pancakes. I used cloth and disposable diapers. I'm all about what works for me, not you. I've also learned that it's all about what works for my particular kids. What works with one won't necessarily work for the other.

Also I should take this moment to publicly thank my own Mom and Dad for just being awesome :-)

I'm excited to spend the week with you here. You can also find me on

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ViolaCay

Twitter https://twitter.com/violacay

Instagram http://instagram.com/violacay

Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/violacay/

& YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB07SWhetkM_Jno6VRK-otQ

So there you have it. I'm going to get some more coffee because I'm perpetually tired. See you 'round the internets!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newtonmom2. Show newtonmom2's posts

Great intro and I agree, I hate the mommy wars, too -

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheHelloLadies. Show TheHelloLadies's posts

I love this line, "I'm all about what works for me, not you."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

Great start, Sharon!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ViolaCay. Show ViolaCay's posts

In response to TheHelloLadies' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love this line, "I'm all about what works for me, not you."

[/QUOTE]

Thank you! That's was a last minute edit. It rang SO true for me that I knew I had to keep it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ViolaCay. Show ViolaCay's posts

In response to LilMisBusy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great start, Sharon!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cheryl!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ViolaCay. Show ViolaCay's posts

In response to newtonmom2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great intro and I agree, I hate the mommy wars, too -

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Nancy! It's just so tiring. Let's lift each other up instead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macsprat. Show Macsprat's posts

Great introduction!  Off to follow you everywhere :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ViolaCay. Show ViolaCay's posts

In response to Macsprat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great introduction!  Off to follow you everywhere :)

[/QUOTE]

How nice are you?? See you 'round the internets for sure then!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dennehypr. Show dennehypr's posts

Sorry I'm late to the party, here, but I'm a big fan of yours Sharon and love your vibe. Keep on keepin' on... and keep being the funny, fabulous blogger that you are. And more videos! They make me laugh too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ViolaCay. Show ViolaCay's posts

In response to dennehypr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry I'm late to the party, here, but I'm a big fan of yours Sharon and love your vibe. Keep on keepin' on... and keep being the funny, fabulous blogger that you are. And more videos! They make me laugh too.

[/QUOTE]

Aw I didn't see this until today! Thank you. I heart you too :-)