Carseats in certain cars

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Carseats in certain cars

Good Morning.  When DD was born, we drove an altima and when DH sat in the passenger seat it was really uncomfortable for him or even me because the seat was so far forward because of the infant seat.   Since then, we have bought a smaller SUV and still have the same issue, even worse with the convertible car seat.   When DH is in the passenger seat, his knees hit the dashboard which cannot be safe.  Now with #2 on the way, we were thinking that once the other car seat is installed DH will not even be able to drive. I am short so I really dont have an issue.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Is there a solution besides buying a suburban?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Re: Carseats in certain cars

We have the same issue and I drive a Subaru Legacy.  We're just hoping that when we're in the convertible seat that the passenger has more room.  Our 2.5 y.o. is forward facing behind the driver and that gives us enough room on that side.  Let me know if you figure something out!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

We had the same issue in my Subaru Forrester.  DH is 6'4".  We did not have the issue in his Toyota Camry so that was the car we would use as a family.  Maybe a different kind of seat that is lower profile would work?  I agree with Lost that when the kids went forward facing it was much better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

It is worse with the forward facing seat for us right now but I do have it reclined so DD can sleep.  Also we have a britax marathon that is very big. I dont think we will get the same seat for #2 when he moves into the convertible seat.    Did you move the older kids behind the driver when the infant was born?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

quad, I just went through this with our infant seat and our Mazda3 Hatchback. DH and I are both tall (5'9 and 6'1) and I was up against the dashboard. We ended up buying a Mazda5 microvan...now I am comfortable in the passenger seat, and I think DH would be OK, too but he always drives if we're together so that's not an issue. All this and the baby isn't even born yet!

I know the van isn't the  "cool" option...but it was the most practical and best way to make sure all of us are safe and comfortable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from paul0. Show paul0's posts

We are expecting #2 in a month and are planning to replace our Mazda 3 with a Subaru Outback.  We went and tried the graco snug ride in the middle, and the Britax Marathon behind the passanger.  Worked perfectly!
    good luck,
    Michelle

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Since we have twins, we've always dealt with two seats.  When they were infants, we had them installed in the passenger side and middle of a Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla, allowing my 5'8" husband or me (5'3") to drive w/o any issues.  The person in the passenger seat had to have the seat pulled all the way forward, but it was do-able.  As the kids started to outgrow their infant seats, we realized that 2 rear-facing convertible seats was not an option in either of those cars.  We went out SUV/minivan comparison shopping, and brought the convertible seats with us to install and test how it would work.  The small SUVs (Rav4 and the next one up...can't remember now what it's called) were ok...not great in that no one would be able to get by the seats to sit in the middle (seats wouldn't fit next to each other), but they did both fit without squishing the driver or passenger to far forward.  The minivans (Odyssey and Siena) were much better and we ultimately decided to go that route.  We actually found a lease deal through Honda where the monthly payment would be less than on for a small SUV, so it made financial sense as well.  Now that the kids are forward-facing, we can get away with installing them in the Mazda or in rental cars when we've gone away.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that if a bigger vehicle like a minivan is an option for you, then I'd recommend that route (keep in mind that double strollers (joggers in particular) can take up ALOT of space, so you'll appreciate it more than just for car seats).  BUT, remember that the rear-facing convertible seat is a somewhat temporary issue.  You can turn the seat forward facing at 1 year AND 20 lbs.  With the minivan, we had the flexibility to keep the kids rear-facing until 18 months and 23/25 lbs., but many parents turn the seat around as soon as they can.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

We did move the forward facer to behind the driver.  I went from a Forester to a Sienna minivan.  SOOOOO much easier with the seats!  We have a Britax Marathon (I think that is what it is).  Our age differences are such that the older one went into a booster seat just before DD was born.  That gives a ton more room.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I was loathe to turn my 20 month old forward facing - current research has them rear facing AS LONG AS POSSIBLE - but he would SCREAM bloody murder until he started choking.

We have a 2009 CRV with an Orbit Baby toddler seat in the middle and we don't have any issues.  Rear or forward facing.

As for baby seats, we had the Orbit Baby infant seat in the base in the middle and no problems either, it is also one of the narrower car seats.  Not the actual size of the seat but the way its constructed makes it take up less real estate on the back seat.

And our toddler son will move to the driver's side when baby#2 is born.  I may be able to fit baby in the middle and toddler on the passenger side but if not, baby gets the passenger side and toddler gets the driver side.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks for the Ideas.  A new car at the momment I dont think is an option.  Maybe we will put the infant seat in the middle if it not too diffucult to get in and out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

Combi makes a super small car seat called the Coccoro.  We were able to get two of these in the back of my husband's Audi A4:

http://www.combi-intl.com/Products/Item.aspx?Item=12

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

paul0 what kind of snug ride do you have?  When the baby seats were configured like that how much room was left?  Could a person then sit behind the drivers seat?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I have an altima and Im 5'8 and DH is 6'5 and we have no isses with our snugride or Britax Marathon fitting fine in the car without compromising our leg space.  Our DD who is 15 months and 33 inches also has plenty of legs space with the seat being all the way back.  Our double stroller (baby jogger) also fits great in the trunk and still gives us room, plenty of room actually for other things.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from smithie02. Show smithie02's posts

We bought the new Combi Coccoro for our Subaru Impreza and it is great.  We have a Graco rearfacing in our Nissan Rogue.  The Combi gives plenty of room and my commuting friend who is 6'2'' can sit comfortably in the passenger seat of the Impreza with the Coccoro rearfacing.  Our daughter also likes it and seems very comfortable in it.  Its padding is impressive!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chelleindot. Show Chelleindot's posts

In Response to Re: Carseats in certain cars:
    [QUOTE]paul0 what kind of snug ride do you have?  When the baby seats were configured like that how much room was left?  Could a person then sit behind the drivers seat?
    Posted by LiveLoveLearnEnjoy[/QUOTE]

It is the 2007 version, I believe just called the snug ride.  The britax is forward facing as my son is almost 4. with the infant seat in the middle there was an inch or two that the front seats could have gone back from where I was comfortable.  Yes, there was a "full" seat behind the drive. 

They also fit in my Matrix, obviously a bit tighter.
    Michelle

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Thanks Michelle!  We are currently looking at cars to replace my volvo s40.  We have a 12 yr old, a 6 month old and want to go for the next one starting this summer.  I'm totally stuck on not wanting a minivan even though the space is amazing.  I just don't feel ready but may just have to do it!  We looked at the outback and I really liked it but didn't think there would be enough room for 3.  Decisions decisions!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chelleindot. Show Chelleindot's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Michelle!  We are currently looking at cars to replace my volvo s40.  We have a 12 yr old, a 6 month old and want to go for the next one starting this summer.  I'm totally stuck on not wanting a minivan even though the space is amazing.  I just don't feel ready but may just have to do it!  We looked at the outback and I really liked it but didn't think there would be enough room for 3.  Decisions decisions!
    Posted by LiveLoveLearnEnjoy[/QUOTE]

We also really liked the Mazda CX9, has the third row, but still feels fun and sporty.  
    Good luck!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

The Honda Odyssey is pretty sweet - my bro has one, its like a rocket ship. It does everything. It is way cooler than your average minivan.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

We really liked the odyssey silver.  It did have a lot of awesome features that are standard!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE] I know the van isn't the  "cool" option...but it was the most practical and best way to make sure all of us are safe and comfortable.
    Posted by SilverFestiva[/QUOTE]

The first time you leave the house with vomit down your back, you realize that "cool" is no longer in your vocabulary, no matter what car you're driving.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Incidentally, we have a Yaris. Whose big idea was that? (mine)