Mom Jewelry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Mom Jewelry

I want to get some type of charm bracelet or necklace with my kids names or initials.  I've seen a lot of this type of jewelry advertised in magazines, but nothing has really struck my fancy.  I'm not a huge jewelry wearer, so I'm looking something simple and subtle that I could wear everyday.

Does anyone have any recommended vendors or pieces that they love?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: Mom Jewelry

Trouble - I have 2 very simple necklaces with charms with a "Z" on them (one is in print, one is cursive).  One my SIL basically made at a bead store - it's a beaded chain with a simple round disc with a typewriter-style Z, and it used to have a little pink bead also on it but somewhere along the way it fell off.

The other one I have I asked my husband to order for me from a jewelry vendor on Etsy.com.  It's a round silver disc with a Z inside a circle of silver.  I found tons of options on etsy - I would recommend browsing there.  I could give you the name of the vendor I worked with if you like, but if you spend even 5 minutes on etsy browsing you'll find lots of possibilities.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I LOVE Blue Nile.  You can get far more there for your money on "fine jewelry."

This heart tag bracelet can be engraved with 2 names 8 characters or less each.  

And, they carry just the heart tag itself separately.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

This is kinda a fun site.  Timely post as I am planning to ask for a pendant for Mom's day from DH and DS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I got a Pandora charm bracelet for the first mother's day after DD was born, and I love it.  I have a charm that has the first letter of her name on it, another charm that is a pair of baby shoes with a pink stone on them (for a girl) and various other charms that reflect my own personality, (ie one charm is the animal representing the mascot of the college I attended, another i have is the  symbol for breast cancer, another is a symbol having to do with my profession etc.).  I love it because a)I can add to it and it is ever growing and changing and b) it represents the total picture of me, and not just the fact that I'm a mother.  It's casual enough to wear every day but also can be dressy - especially if you play around with the order of the charms.  It's also very sturdy, which is a must-have in jewelry with a little one around :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

They have a lot of nice stuff on redenvelope.com as well.
    There is a section labeled "motherhood", but they don't have all of the initial/engraved stuff there.  If you just go to "necklaces" you'll see lots of simple initial options.
    Etsy is a great idea, poppy!  I'm going to check that out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I too have a Pandora bracelet with a little boy charm as well as other charms.  I recently got this.  However, about a year after DS was born I received a sapphire ring for Christmas. It's is birth stone and I love it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Oh how I WISH either my or DS's birthstone was a sapphire!  What a treat for you Winter!  DS and I (October) are either opal (uck!) or pink tourmaline... which is so very hot pink.  I don't suppose if I created one of these necklace pendants or pandora charms I can just pick a stone I like and prefer?  Is that tacky?  I've never worn something that was my birthstone because of my dislike of the choices.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My birthstone is garnet and I admit I'm not a fan, but I do like sapphire.  My DS knows it's his brithstone too and if I ever switch rings he says where's the ring that makes you think of me.  :) For my birthday he got me the dangling boy charm for my Pandora bracelet.  You could also just pick a blue stone since he's a boy. :) 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IPW, there is no gemstone police.  Buy what you like.  Go to Blue Nile if you're looking for heirloom quality and want to save about 20% over a place like Barmakian.

Mine's the same as yours, of course, Winter, and I don't like garnet, either.  In fact, DH doesn't even know it's my birthstone.  He bought me a pink topaz ring for Christmas that I adore.  (ETA:  And, no one has ever asked if it's my birthstone.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

ps. not a local company, but all their stuff is online, is a company called James Avery. they also have a lot of religious stuff- so I have shopped there/online for christening gifts too. they have a cute set of charm bracelets at more reasonable prices (and very sturdy).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

When my twins were born DH got me a guard ring with diamonds and rubies (ruby is the twins birth stone). He got it at Blue Nile. I LOVE it and wear it every day that I wear my wedding and engagement rings. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

I asked for a Pandora bracelet for my birthday. I love the idea of getting beads with the birthstones of my kids. rama8677, you are getting me excited to shop for other types of beads.
    Good luck with your search, Trouble30!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Wow!  Thanks for all the great ideas!  I've never heard of Pandora before, but I think it might be just what I was looking for.  But I'm torn between that and a classic style like Kar recommended.  Decisions, decisions!

I didn't know my kids birthstones, so I just looked it up.  DD is diamond!  How lucky for her (and me :) ).  DS is peridot which is very fortunate since he is a boy and probably will not want any birthstone jewelry.  Growing up birthstone rings were all the rage amongst my group.  I had an emerald ring that I adored... hhmmmm maybe then I'm not so lucky that DD is diamond!Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh Trouble a diamond and peridot ring would be fantastic :) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Trouble, it was all the rage when I was little, too, but I think it's fallen at leaset somewhat out of favor because of the reasons mentioned here.  Some people just don't like their birthstones or those of their kids.  And, diamonds, lucky you, are expensive as are emeralds and rubies.  I know it's all a matter of 100% personal taste, but allow me to suggest that you can get any piece of jewelry you want to be "for your kids" and to remind you of them every time you look at it.  My grandmother passed away and left me an inheritance, and I'm looking to buys a piece of jewelry to remember her by, and my choice will have nothing to do with her birthstone or anything like that - I don't even know what it is.

If you want a diamond for this, though, consider CZ.  QVC's line of Dimonique (sp?) is truly exquisite (imo) and look just like the real thing IF you buy a piece in which the stone is the equivalent of less than 1/2 carat so no one would suspect it's not real.  I was looking for a copy of my engagement ring there and it was hard to find realistic sized stones.  Found one, though, for about $30 that fooled people when I brought the two in and played "choose the real diamond ring" game with my friends.  Many people chose the fake.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

This is the real thing so very expensive.  I'm not suggesting it, per se, because of that, but if you're looking for an heirloom piece that will be passed down, etc., maybe - it might not even be your taste.  But, here's something I think is gorgeous:  Blue Nile Peridot Diamond ring.

ETA:  Here's one well under $100 at QVC:  Peridot and diamond stackable ring

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Birthstones were all the rage, weren't they?  Mine is peridot and I hated it when I was a kid.  I wanted emerald!  I have to say, though, now I love peridot.  It goes with a lot of other colors and it's not expensive.  I agree with winter2011 - diamond and peridot would be really nice!

Poppy's Etsy idea was a great one.  I am seeing loads of really nice stuff, very reasonably priced.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I remember thinking how unfair it was that I got the lowly garnet and others got things like diamonds, emeralds, or rubies.    The fad was so in vogue I assumed all those kids were getting their birthstones, too, LOL!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I second Red Envelope!  Forgot about them.

Wish I could afford Pandora!  I love them, but they are so pricey.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Trouble, I just saw this company on Groupon (although the deal is sold out) - I think these are the cutest mom pieces I've ever seen, and they are inexpensive to boot!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

etsy.com has tons of jewelry options that you can have personalized or engraved. I asked for a necklace from there for mothers day! I have a pandora but I have had it for years, I got the baby carriage charm when I was pregnant (I did not find out the sex of my baby so no pink or blue stones) and most of the other charms just represent my personality so I wanted to keep that just as a bracelet and get something personalized with my daughters name or initals. I love the idea of an inital ring, I saw one on etsy i fell in love with. If you have an iphone there is an etsy app!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeeba14. Show zeeba14's posts

We have super cute matching necklaces at Tiny Hanger in Brookline.
    The mom has a bigger version of the child's.  Some moms wear both charms until their daughter is big enough and then takes the charm off her necklace and gives it to daughter which makes it all the more special.
    Here is one style.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I just wanted to thank those that suggested the pandora charm bracelet.  My DH, DD and DS got it for me for Mother's day and I just adore it!  They got me the dangly boy, dangly girl and a dangly heart (symbolizing my DH).  It was just what I wanted!