Planning for Second Child

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Planning for Second Child

Lemon, gosh, I feel bad for the singletons you know who are disappointed with it having been that way.  I was an only child and enjoyed it but at 16 I aquired 4 step-brothers (ages 12, 17, 21, and 22).  So, essentially, I've had it both ways.  Pros and cons, man, pros and cons.  That's all I can tell ya. :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I'm an only child and like IPW I always feel the need to defend too.  I had some close cousins that I grew up with, but I loved being able to go home to the quiet of my own house so I could read or decompress after a crazy day.  I had very close friends growing up.  I also loved the closeness that I had with my mother.  She passed away several years ago when I was 34.  I had a lot of friends comment that I must have missed having siblings at a time like that so that we could share our grief and support each other.  I don't know...maybe it's that "selfish only child thing", but I did love having my mother to myself during that time.  We definitely had a special bond that only the two of us shared.

On the other hand, since I've had my son I now wish my DH and I had larger families/more siblings so that my DS could have a larger family and network to lean on (especially as my DH and I are of "advanced age").  I think we're leaning towards keeping him an only, but I do wonder at times whether he would miss having a sibling, or like me, grow to appreciate being an only.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nburdzel912. Show nburdzel912's posts

My daughter and son are 14 months apart (19 mos & 5 mos).  It certainly has presented many challenges having 2 children so close in age, but we are already seeing how much they both truly love and care for eachother. Its crazy to see this, especially considering how young they are, but you can just tell in how they look at eachother.  Financially, it has been challenging, but our daycare provider did provide a 10% discount, which doesn't sound like much, but every little bit helps.
    I definitely think having 2 kids close in age is great.  There will definitely be lots of fights, but it is great knowing that they will always have eachother and hopefully they will be the best of friends.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted comments!  I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back and respond.  I have been MIA for awhile with a lot of personal and work related stuff keeping me busy (nothing bad).  But I really appreciate all the feedback!!  We actually decided to go for it and I'm 13 weeks in!  Were very excited and are trying to still figure things out and have some time to do it but we are refinancing our home which will go a long way with the financial aspect of it.

So thank you all again!  I did read all your comments and they really helped put things in perspective.  I think it's one of those things which a lot of you said - if it's in your heart that it's what you want to go you will find a way to make it work!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

I'll also add that apparently when I first posted this thread I was already pregnant (though I didn't find out for several weeks after that) so I guess it wasn't a choice I was going to have anyway!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsJay. Show MrsJay's posts

I am glad to see people sticking up for only children.  I have only one - not planned but that's how it worked out.  I love her with all my heart but am so conscious not to turn into a crazy helicopter mom.  She is in daycare, spends lots of time with family and friends and is very well grounded, shares well, and happy.  Her life is wonderful and she is a joy!