What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver1. Show madriver1's posts

Re: What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?

Rosen is a mother who has a job outside of the house.  She knows how hard it is to raise kids, but also knows that it is MUCH more difficult and stressful to do it while earning a living.  She made a bad wording choice but come on - no one can pretend they don't know what she meant.

Romney has announced that his wife will be his representative for women's issues.  That neither of them recognize that her experience with motherhood is not typical just adds to their disconnect with "normal" people. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver1. Show madriver1's posts

"Salary.com has estimated the earning power of a SAHM is somewhere upwards of $80K/year."

And yet, despite the Republicans' claim of the importance of motherhood, not a one of them is advocating any kind of Social Security credits for that work. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryjanecakebreadRN. Show maryjanecakebreadRN's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?:
    [QUOTE]maryjanecakebreadRN -  Of course you are going to be voting for Obomb - you're in healthcare ;) "you've never gotten any money for nothing" ... yep, Anne Romney's blessed life is because she did "nothing".  She didn't stay home, take care of the kids, the house - affording her husband the opportunity to EARN money for the FAMILY.  Salary.com has estimated the earning power of a SAHM is somewhere upwards of $80K/year. And guess what, what's good for business - can be good for women...
    Posted by southma[/QUOTE]
    You misunderstood me. I was not inferring that Anne R. did nothing. I was making the point that I have always worked and I have received no  money for myself or my family that I did not work for. Mitt and Anne have indeed been very fortunate but I do not think either one of them really understand what it is like to be in the working class and have to struggle to make financial ends meet. Anyone who thinks they do ,I believe is mistaken

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryjanecakebreadRN. Show maryjanecakebreadRN's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?:
    [QUOTE]"Salary.com has estimated the earning power of a SAHM is somewhere upwards of $80K/year." And yet, despite the Republicans' claim of the importance of motherhood, not a one of them is advocating any kind of Social Security credits for that work. 
    Posted by madriver1[/QUOTE]
    Ain't that the truth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryjanecakebreadRN. Show maryjanecakebreadRN's posts

[QUOTE]maryjanecakebreadRN -  Of course you are going to be voting for Obomb - you're in healthcare ;) "you've never gotten any money for nothing" ... yep, Anne Romney's blessed life is because she did "nothing".  She didn't stay home, take care of the kids, the house - affording her husband the opportunity to EARN money for the FAMILY.  Salary.com has estimated the earning power of a SAHM is somewhere upwards of $80K/year. And guess what, what's good for business - can be good for women...
    Posted by southma[/QUOTE]
    If what is good for business can be good for women why did it take so long for the equal pay for equal work law  to get passed?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from robot1022. Show robot1022's posts

Most mothers today.. DO work out of the home.. as well.. as hold down either a full or part time job.. by neccesity. It's been like that for a long time. It's often not a Choice.

Ann Romney's comments imply she doesn't get that. Her comments suggest that she thinks most working moms have some kind of choice .

That is my perception of Ann Romney's comments. It is what it is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from atigias. Show atigias's posts

uuggh. We have all gotten used to endless bickering over words. Splitting hairs and nitpicking over every little thing. Truth is Ann Romney - I am sure she is a wonderful person - has not had to deal with the pressure of working outside the home AND taking care of her family. Everyone doesn't have that choice to make. Some HAVE to work to take care of their family well. It is an individual choice based on individual circumstances. Some have to struggle to make that choice, and some don't. Ann Romney did not have to face a financial struggle in making that choice. Good for her. Don't demonize her, but don't demonize Rosen either! Words are often taken out of context, twisted around to make partisan points. Or whatever gets your stuff in a twist. 
    It is going to be a long hard year if this is the level of discourse we are subjected to. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Ann Romney worked, raising 5 boys.  I'm sure it was difficult.  She may have not to have to choose between work and staying home, good for them!  The Romneys have money, again, good for them!

Many SAHMs today (obvoiusly not all) do have a choice.  They may have to make some sacrafices, but they still have a choice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Armoredsaint24. Show Armoredsaint24's posts

[QUOTE]I think the comment directed at Mrs. Romney was unfair; it must be hard work driving a couple of Cadillacs. 
    Posted by kodimo[/QUOTE]

Yes, however that never stops you from voting for the Rolls Royce riding John F Kerry does it there cupcake?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Armoredsaint24. Show Armoredsaint24's posts

Stay at home moms, when they raise their kids right, work as hard as any laborer or executive in the job market. Shame on the Democrats for once again slamming women who sacrifice their own vocational dreams to ensure their kids will be raised by them as opposed to strangers in daycare etc.

Conversely, Michele Obama did work as an attorney...until she was dis-barred in disgrace by the State of Illlinois. We're still waitng for that record to be explained. The Obamas expunged the record to evade public viewing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from grumpysh0egirl. Show grumpysh0egirl's posts

People complaining that SAHMs work hard don't get it.  Moms who work outside of the home have to do everything that SAHMs do, PLUS hold down a job.  I'm a teacher, so in the summer I get to stay home with my kids.  There's a reason it's called vacation-- it's nowhere near as difficult as coordinating four schedules, looking and acting professional, and keeping up with everything.

Plus, if you don't think the Romneys hired people to take care of cleaning, yard work, and home repairs you're delusional.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fukowi. Show Fukowi's posts

Rosen is a lesbian gay activist.  She loathes married woman who assume traditional roles.  She loathes Republicans. She loathes devout Christians.  What else is new?  She is a Democrat.  There is nothing out of character in her remarks whatsoever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icpshootyz. Show icpshootyz's posts

I know very few SAHMs any more, and those that do often recite how thankful they are to be able to choose that.  So, no, Anne Romney is not the victim here.  She was blessed with an absurdly rich husband and most likely many paid-for caretakers who assisted greatly with her children.  Working moms, those who still have to earn money outside the home just to put food on the table, have a very different and challenging life than Anne Romney.  Let's not start equating the wife of a multi, multi millionaire to your averaging SAHM or working mother.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from singlemomofcollegeapplicant. Show singlemomofcollegeapplicant's posts

I believe I heard the quote in context and think that it is being blown up out of proportion. Raising a family is hard work and no one said it was not.
    However, women who must work in order to raise a family face a host of issues that SAHMs do not face. For example: Is there day care available next week during school vacation? Do I have to call in sick when my child has a fever? Can I get time off to meet with my child's teacher? Do I have to cook  when I get home or do I get to collapse on the couch? What do I do with the anger I feel toward my coworker when I walk through the door at home? If my children are in scheduled sports all weekend, how will I get all the errands done? Will someone come clean my house so I can invite friends over this weekend, or are we going to have another "just us" weekend? How can I take on more at work so that I can make more money when just doing what I do now seems so impossible?
    Some people want to turn this into a women against women battle because they love to stand back and watch cat fights. I would invite you to be more empathetic instead. I don't want to speak for the SAHMs but I'll bet they have their list of questions as well.
    However, I think everyone would agree that when financial worries are removed from a woman's shoulders, the burden is lighter and the issues have to be fewer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Everyone wants to be a victim.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

So glad to see so many people making comments about which they know nothing about.  I feel so warm and fuzzy knowing that our voters are so educated by what they read in the media.

I wish I could LIKE Lily's comments... twice!  I loved Obama's comments yesterday "Michelle and I didn't have the luxury of her staying home."  Too bad earning $500K+ combined wasn't quite enough if staying home is what she really wanted to do.  She chose a career... which is fine... own up to it.

There are 5 million SAHMs... which make up for a little more than 25% of families.  So that does not equate to "Most mothers work outside the home...."  Many, yes... but Ann Romney is not the only one in America.

I actually choose to work outside the home - even though my family would be fine on one salary - because SAHM is WAY TOO HARD.  You never get to go home and be done at the end of the day.  You don't get your weekends off or 2-3 weeks vacation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from doonkue. Show doonkue's posts

Just another attack by the liberals of this country. Feminist movement originally was for the rights of all women, especially their right to choose. Now the feminists are usually left leaning and tend to attack women that don't agree with their political point of view.  The attack on women is not from the right but from the left - especially vicious against those who are conservative leaning and hold christian moral beliefs. Rosen is just one of them who is spearheading this attack.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rambo438. Show Rambo438's posts

I think it was out of line.  I worked in financial Services and traveled to Wall Street.  I had a stressful job at times but nothing prepared me for bring a full time Dad for the last year and a half after being laid off.  I had a lot of respect for moms prior to my full time responsibility but it has increased dramatically.  I worked with a lot of women like Hilary.  They were all miserable but wanted to balance things with career and family.  An old uncle I have somes it up best when he talks to women....he says "you can have it all, you just can't do it all".  I think women need to make choices and be comfortable either way.  Most women try to do both and it usually does not work well.  I think all of us have a rich friend or 2 that we all know that life is not a struggle..you know the minivan Mom that stresses out over Starbucks being closed.  It is not that uncommon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quasimodo. Show Quasimodo's posts

Ann Rosen and the Deomocrats pissed off every mother in the country. Look for Joe Biden to condem apple pie later in the campaign.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm a SAHW, and I often use the phrase, "When I worked..."  And, guess what, I work my butt off now every day doing all things domestic and would never say or imply I don't work as a housewife.  Even without kids, it's hard work.  I obviously use the phrase to mean "when I had a 9 - 5 job outside the home," and I think that's what Rosen meant, too.  To turn it into a slam against SAHMs is an unfair political attack imo even though I'm politically conservative.

If someone asked me about something regarding the time when I worked I wouldn't get all in a huff and say, "Hey, I WORK, now, you dimwit!"  How inappropriate a response that would be when I know they mean when I held a job outside our home, and they are not implying in the slightest that they think I sit around eating bon bons all day, now, because I "don't work."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from grumpysh0egirl. Show grumpysh0egirl's posts

IPWBride: If 25% of families have a mother who stays home, 75% of families don't.

In what universe is 75% not most?

Also, your family, and the Romneys, might be fine on one salary.  Mine isn't.  It takes both my and my husband's paychecks to cover the mortgage on a modest ranch and put food on the table.  I suppose I could have sought another husband, married for money, instead of marrying someone who shared my values and loved me, but I didn't.  And that shouldn't be the remedy for women's economic issues.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Grumpy... are you saying that me and Ann Romney married people that don't love us or share our values just because they make money?  

3/4 is certainly more than half, but it is not "almost all women" as I have heard so many people say.  People are making it out that if you choose to SAH, you must be rich.  I would certainly bet that the 1/4 who do SAH are not all millionaires.

Women make choices.  Some are very hard, some are easy.  Some involve children, some don't.  We need to give ourselves a break and stop hating people who we "think" have it easier than us.  

Would you trade your life as you have it now for a bunch of money in the bank but a potentially fatal, slowly incapacitating disease like multiple sclerosis?  A choice she certainly didn't make.

If we all let the media and the candidates (on both sides) make this a campaign about the rich vs. the poor, we are really foolish.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WineGuy1969. Show WineGuy1969's posts

Regardless of Ann's choices and status - is someone an expert on economic issues only when they are struggling to make ends meet or juggling jobs/family?  Ann is educated and smart and just might have some insight in these matters.  My biggest issue with Rosen's comment is dismissing her as some dumb housewife that has too much money and time on her hands and doesn't care or know about anything else outside her "silver spoon" life. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I wish this had been posted in the Politics section and not the Parents section.  All these posts do is draw all the name-callers here.