Your thoughts on Isis Parenting closing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristiP. Show BDCKristiP's posts

Your thoughts on Isis Parenting closing

Isis Parenting is closing. Read more.

We want to hear your reaction. And stories. What has been your experience with Isis?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from friendly72. Show friendly72's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Isis Parenting closing

Just like Boston Baby did about 8-10 years ago.  I had friends that bought stuff from Boston Baby and did not get any of their merchandise or money back.  Isis is located in same buildings as old Boston Baby.  Maybe someone should look into that business and owners.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asimplename. Show asimplename's posts

My wife told me about the closing this morning, and I was shocked and saddened.  We have a beautiful, happy 18 month-old daughter, and I truly enjoyed and appreciated the prenatal classes that my wife and I attended as well as the additional advice & support we received from the Isis staff over the past year and a half.  We have another baby due in May, and I'm truly disappointed that Isis will not be around to provide some of the same excellent classes and support from which our little family has already benefitted.

Isis Parenting, if this is indeed the end, you will be sorely missed by many families and expectant parents in the Boston area.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2weddingbelles. Show 2weddingbelles's posts

Very upsetting news!

Since the day I discovered Isis Parenting and the incomparable Nancy Holtzman on Twitter (because, what else do you do when you're up at 4 am with a one month old baby besides stalk Twitter?), this has been my #1 tip to new or expecting parents: visit isisparenting.com, listen to their webinars, go on Twitter and ask Nancy a question.. The knowledge, advice, and support I've received from Isis, Nancy, and the online group of moms who support them has been more beneficial over the last ~15 months of mommyhood than anything I ever read in a parenting book or heard in a class. This leaves a big gap in the lives of many moms, babies, and families, not just those who were fortunate enough to live near Isis and use their resources in person. Isis will be greatly, greatly missed!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EdLover75. Show EdLover75's posts

In response to asimplename's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My wife told me about the closing this morning, and I was shocked and saddened.  We have a beautiful, happy 18 month-old daughter, and I truly enjoyed and appreciated the prenatal classes that my wife and I attended as well as the additional advice & support we received from the Isis staff over the past year and a half.  We have another baby due in May, and I'm truly disappointed that Isis will not be around to provide some of the same excellent classes and support from which our little family has already benefitted.

Isis Parenting, if this is indeed the end, you will be sorely missed by many families and expectant parents in the Boston area.

[/QUOTE]

We're in the same position. They were invaluable for my wife and I. I'm also worried about the sense of community and the opportunity to engage with others. (Classes were a great way for moms to get together too).

Moms + Dads: What other things do you do to socialize and network with others (or what other classes or activities will you participate in?). I think there's a big hole for some in being able to get out of the house and meet with other parents.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cvh07. Show cvh07's posts

Having just had my first child last summer, Isis was a fantastic resource.  I attended the Great Beginnings class and truly feel I made lifetime friends.  I have recommended Isis to every new mom I meet - Boston is losing a huge resource for families. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JLee27. Show JLee27's posts

I was fortunate enough to work for this company for over a year. It's a shame new management and close-minded president turned this unique place into just another failed business. A combination of [extremely] poor inter-company growth, change of merchandising dynamics and, what seems like, little-to-no research on demographics on areas for company expansion (i.e, partnership with Babies'R'Us in Georgia & Texas) will be sure to drive any company into the ground. 

I can only hope that this business has inspired people to advocate for a new childbirth education/child development/specialty boutique that can hopefully be executed more successfully.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from abbyprk. Show abbyprk's posts

Sad, sad news

I have been lucky enough to benefit from Isis Parenting and baby guru Nancy Holtzman, even though we are hundreds of miles from Boston. The news of their closing is shocking, and my best wishes go out to those in the Isis community who are affected.

As a new mom, Nancy and Isis were such amazing sources of support, and the information and knowledge they shared and made available to everyone was an amazing confidence builder in the crazy newborn days. I am so grateful to Isis, and very sad that other new moms and dads won't have this resource anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothertotwins. Show mothertotwins's posts

I awoke to this very sad and very sudden news, and my first thought was, "The webinars!? Where will I refer new parents?"

Before my twins were born two years ago they were already Isis Babies. We took the tour of B&W through Isis, we took a childbirth class at Isis, and once they were born (prematurely) we went to Great Beginnings and Next Steps. 

Along the way I met and became friends with Nancy Holtzman, who still answers hundreds of questions for me about my now toddlers. She has even given me the opportunity to blog a few times about my adventures in premie-twin-land.

It's not just families in Boston who are affected by this closure - there are families around the world who turn to Isis for help and support, whether it be with sleep, feeding, or anything else child-related. I have met other parents and shared stories through Isis. 

For the past two years I have been on the Isis March of Dimes team. The day of the walk has been so fun, and full of smiles. 

It is with all of these memories that my heart sinks to learn of this news. I am so thankful for all that Isis has done for me and my family.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsMinor813. Show MrsMinor813's posts

I'm so devastated by this news. I found Nancy Holtzman almost exactly a year ago when I was right in the thick of those hardest early months with a newborn. Her advise and humor helped me beyond measure back then and to this day. Everything from sleep support to breastfeeding and pumping and everything in between... My experience with Isis forever changed the trajectory of our family and helped me grow into motherhood a little less clumsily. This is such a loss for families everywhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinmom2012. Show twinmom2012's posts

Isis Parenting and Nancy Holtzman (as well as the sleep team including Meg) help new moms and families way beyond Boston, thanks to their innovative and around-the-clock online advice. I truly hope that there is a path forward for all of the wonderful people there to keep helping new moms. My entire approach toward parenting has been shaped by their knowledge and advice, and they have made me a better mom. Thank you to Nancy and everyone at Isis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lauren_d. Show Lauren_d's posts

Despite living in Seattle, I have depended on Isis Parenting since the birth of my second child 13 months ago.  My only regret is that I didn't know about it when my first was born. From breastfeeding, pumping, transitions and sleep issues, Isis (and Nancy H.) have made my life easier. I will miss their place in the parenting world so much and was heartbroken to read they were closing. If not for their sleep webinars and sleep consults, I'd probably still be going on less than 4 hours sleep a night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lizzabette. Show Lizzabette's posts

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Was treated terribly by Isis after the birth of my first child. Not fitting in with their narrowly defined parameters of "mother" made the organization incredibly exclusionary to many mothers.

When I voiced my disappointment, I didn't even get a response --- that is how little they thought of me. Not even an acknowledgement they had received my complaint.

Horrible organization run by self-centered people. I won't miss them. Nor should anyone else.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from titzilla. Show titzilla's posts

Never heard of the place....looks like most folks don't care either judging by the modest number of posts....why has this been at the top of Boston.com all morning long?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3648364. Show user_3648364's posts

I am just devastated. My son and I have been going there since he was 4 weeks old. He is now 29 months. Between Great Beginnings, all the child development classes, and webinars, I learned so much and am a better mom because of them. I don't know what I would have done without them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

This is such a loss for the greater Boston moms community.  I am in shock and disbelief.  Isis was an amazing and invaluable resource to me as a new mom; I still refer to their webinars and blog for tips on raising my preschooler and toddler.  I have met so many wonderful people through Isis.  Cannot believe its gone.  Can anything be done to save such a wonderful business?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aaron05. Show aaron05's posts

Where is Lana Lane going to work?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from akiram17. Show akiram17's posts

In response to titzilla's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Never heard of the place....looks like most folks don't care either judging by the modest number of posts....why has this been at the top of Boston.com all morning long?

[/QUOTE]

Problem with boston.com not letting you log in. This is a huge story for parents in Boston. Over 700 comments from customers on FB about the news.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from eod1281. Show eod1281's posts

So very sad about this news. Isis has provided invaluable resources and community as a new mom. From infant CPR, to their Great Beginnigs Class, to a place to rent a hospital grade pump, to tweeting with Nancy Holtzman in the wee hours of the nice nursing my newborn to their sleep webinars that gave me tips and put everything into perspective... I cannot imagine starting my parenting journey without Isis! This is a great, great loss to mamas and babies alike. Thank you for everything you have done... and I sincerely hope the company can be saved! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamiemeier. Show jamiemeier's posts

I'm heartbroken.

Nancy Holtzman and Isis parenting have been such a huge help to me in my first year of parenting. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would have been getting through some of the obstacles we encountered without them. I am truly saddened that these amazing and invaluable resources will no longer be available to those in the Boston area, as well as the internet community as a whole! Please please find a way to keep the doors open!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

Wow this is shocking.   Most hospitals and OB/GYNs in the city refer their patients to classes there.   Wondering what will fill the void!!!

I will add that classes were extremely pricey and certainly served the upper-middle and upper class.   I hope that whatever fills it’s place will consider a non-profit model and aid area women in terms of breastfeeding support, etc without requiring extremely pricey classes. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mymoonn. Show mymoonn's posts

There are many many comments from parents about this on their FB page....this news was released last night, and it is a big deal to the parenting community. Isis was a huge contributor to the parenting world around here.

I took my prenatal classes here, met with consults, and brought my son to many classes. He met some of his first friends and I met some great people that we still keep in touch with. It was a great resource for many moms/dads...it is a great loss for the community.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seg526. Show seg526's posts

This is terribly sad news for moms across the country who have benefited from Isis's online support. Nancy Holtzman and Isis have been invaluable to me. Words can't express my gratitude.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nekman. Show nekman's posts

I have two young children and I am shocked........shocked I tell you, that I never heard of the place.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EdLover75. Show EdLover75's posts

In response to JLee27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was fortunate enough to work for this company for over a year. It's a shame new management and close-minded president turned this unique place into just another failed business. A combination of [extremely] poor inter-company growth, change of merchandising dynamics and, what seems like, little-to-no research on demographics on areas for company expansion (i.e, partnership with Babies'R'Us in Georgia & Texas) will be sure to drive any company into the ground. 

I can only hope that this business has inspired people to advocate for a new childbirth education/child development/specialty boutique that can hopefully be executed more successfully.

[/QUOTE]

That's good insight, I think it will be interesting to hear more about what led to this failing. In addition to trying to figure out how we can fill the void, I'm wondering how someone could screw something like this up...this seemed like a "lay-up" easy business to grow.