1st Birthday Gift

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

1st Birthday Gift

Can anyone recommend a good 1st birthday gift for a boy?  I am still pregnant, so don't have experience yet for what would be good at that age. 

TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: 1st Birthday Gift

I really love giving children of any age books for gifts.  One year olds are very tactile, so books with fuzzy pages or anything that they can feel, they will be drawn too.  Regular board books are great too.   You could even give a  few in a cute storage basket.

I am also a big fan of Melissa and Doug, a company that sells wooden toys. I am sure they would have something appropiate for a toddler (maybe not to use at 1 year, but 1 1/2 maybe) building blocks, puzzles with large pieces with the big handles.   Wooden pull toys are great for kids that are walking too.

I have 3 friends with babies turning 1 this spring, so i will be out shopping for these things as well!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I have a one year old and ajuly made the exact suggestions that I would have.  I really, really didn't want any more toys in the house since we were full up from Christmas (my son turned 1 in Feb).  I put a note on the evite stating that gifts were not necessary but we'd love some new books if people felt that they wanted to bring something.

If you do go the book route, ask for some advice at the bookstore.  You probably don't want the super popular books like Hungry Caterpillar or Goodnight Moon since parents are likely to have those already (or just get a gift receipt).

Melissa and Doug are great for wood toys.  We got two of the big knob puzzles for our son.

Finally, now that I've finally run through all of the shower gifts that we got, I am running out of clothes for my son in larger sizes. I really apreciated the few gifts of clothing that we got.  Generally you would be safe getting size 18 months or up depending on the child or just ask the Mom for advice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

We got a travel aquadoodle at my 2 yo's birthday and I think it is an awesome gift - at 1 they might not quite be into it, but they will be soon!  No mess, no worries about writing on stuff in the car or at grandmas, and we've had hours of fun with it already - it's my new go-to gift! It runs 10-15$ at Target

When DD was 1, I loved the Sandra Boynton Books... you can get a set of 4 board books for about $20 at Target or less at TJ Maxx/Marshalls if you happen upon them (I did quite often)  Also, the Matthew VanFleet Books are AWESOME - We have Dogs, Tails and Alphabet... also check TJMax etc for these... got one for 3.99 recently that I added to a shower gift!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I just went to a first birthday party for my niece over the weekend.  She received sippy cups, clothing/bathing suit, sand toys, a xylophone, the drum full of instruments they have at Target, a wagon, books, a savings bond, a pink fisher price lawn mower.  That is all I can think of at the moment.

ETA - Just read that you are looking for boy gifts...so the pink lawn mower might be out. :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EZola. Show EZola's posts

For her first birthday, our daughter received books, a blankie, a bunny, a pair of shoes, and a xylophone, all of which she loved. But her absolute favorite gift was this crazy ball shooter: http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Playskool-Busy-Ball-Popper/dp/B00007G39I (batteries required)

It plays insane music and funny voices yelling "HOORAY!" and shoots balls into the air and all over the floor. Other gifts might be sweeter and longer-lasting, but if you want to be an instant hero at the party, get this one. The kids were rolling around on the floor and screaming with excitement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

DD received that crazy ball shooter for Xmas and loves it to.  It def plays insane music, thank goodness it is has an on and off switch.

DD Birthday is right after the december holidays so when asked, I told people to get her clothes.  The house was overloaded with Toys.  People basically obliged.  The only issue I found with that was people that do not have children, 99% of the time bought the incorrect size for the time of year.  That was ok though, everyone included the gift receipts.

I think the items from Melissa and Doug are great. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

>>The only issue I found with that was people that do not have children, 99% of the time bought the incorrect size for the time of year. <<

The joke in our house is the people without children are also the ones who buy you stuffed animals.  Every single stuffed animal DS has came from childless friends of ours.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Books are always great! DS LOVES his flip book-though he's torn all of the flaps off by now, but he still loves that book. He also loves a magnet book.

Small little car toys are good, toy cell phones, etc are always helpful.

The busy ball popper is a hit-and thank heavens for the off switch.

Clothes are good, but tricky (DS's at 15 mo weighs as much as a 12 mo old, but is as tall as an 18 mo old-clothes are tough for him).

One of the cheap blow up beach balls-big hit with DS!

The biggest hit for DS when he turned one was a tent and crawling tube. The age says 4+, but a call to the manufacturer stated they expected 4 year olds could put it together. DS LOVES it. And ours is big enough for one of us to crawl in there with him which he thinks is the best.

Things we have too many of: the inflatable back yard pools!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!  Such great ideas to choose from!  I think I will go with the book idea, so that I am not adding to the ever-growing toy collection since the family lives in a smallish condo.  And, I am not 100% sure about the clothing sizes, as you all pointed out it can be tricky.  I particularly liked canukgrl's suggestion of the Sandra Boynton and Matthew VanFleet books....they seem to get really good reviews on Amazon. 

Thanks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Great ideas!  I would second (or third, or fourth) the nesting blocks and the busy ball popper.  My kids are way too old to be playing with these toys, yet I can't get rid of them because they still think they're fun!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I love giving and getting books.  For a first birthday I really like the hardcover "Wheels on the Bus" with tabs to follow along (approx. 17.95), as well as any Eric Carle book.