August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

August Infants and Toddlers

Posted in July and realized it's August -- eek! I'm officially into my last month at home. So, DS has become a champ at flipping from back to stomach, and he's now doing it in his sleep. He hates being on his tummy, so we were up several times last night to flip and comfort him. The kicker is that he KNOWS how to flip tummy to back but I haven't seen him do it in weeks. It's so weird. I'm wondering what to do. I'm going to give him more floor time during the day to practice, but I'm not sure how we should handle the sleeping thing. He started last night by crying a couple times and stopping, but silly Mama was worried so I went and checked on him and he was actually sleeping on his tummy. I flipped him back in his sleep, which I'm sure was the wrong thing to do, but it was 4a.m. and I wasn't in my right mind :). After that, he flipped back and eventually got so upset we had to go in. How have others dealt with this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

happy August!  Thanks for the happy birthday wishes on the July thread, and happy birthday to 2 year old Winter as well!  I agree with you that it's crazy that we've been "together" so long.

Arcain - my DD was not a big roller so I don't have advice.  But I read your post on the other thread about starting daycare before you go back to work.  I think that's a great idea, but I have an unsolicited recommendation.  Make yourself an appointment that morning at a specific time (hair, friend, whatever).  Give yourself enough time when deciding the appointment time that you don't feel rushed, but have some place to be.  That will motivate you to leave the daycare and then give you a purpose so you don't feel like you're just wandering around without DS.
    Then after that you can go home and take a nap.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

med-that's agreat advice for the transition into day care! With DS I had no such apt and sat in the car and cried. With DD I did have to go to work for a quick thing-so I cried at my desk  when my boss came to say HI. :) 

I'm at home today with a sick DS-summer colds really stink! We're scheduled to go away tomorrow for a quick get away for DH's birthday-now I'm going to see if I can delay our hotel a day. :(

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Arcain - as far as rolling over goes, it is a phase that will pass. He'll get the hang of rolling into a position he likes all by himself. Until then it is a bit of a drag, because they do roll, get "stuck" and cry for help. It doesn't last long though.
    BTW - once they can roll, make sure to clear the crib of anything except the baby. No more bumpers or stuffed animals - and no swaddles with arms in - switch to a sleepsack.
    If you feel you must have a bumper,because he will get little arms and legs stuck in the railings and cry for help, get one of the breathable ones - the others are a SIDS hazard. And I do know a mom whose DD rolled into the bumper and stopped breathing. She was only saved by an angel monitor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, Med, that's an excellent idea. It actually works out perfectly. My new boss just invited me to their staff outing to a Sox game on the Monday before my start date, so I will have someone take care of DS and I'll be able to keep myself good and busy while he's at daycare. Double win! Although, with the current state of sleep in our house, the nap sounds tempting...hopefully DS will have remembered how to roll over to his back by then :-).

Lily, thanks for the reassurance. As for clearing the crib, DS has been a major crib creeper so we've just never had anything in there. We do have a breathable bumper, since he was already getting his legs stuck. I'm questioning the usefulness of it, though. He now manages to pull it down (no matter how tightly I fasten it) and stick his legs through. He just wants to put his feet on anything! Fortunately he doesn't get as frantic as he used to, but still...what a little monkey I have already! That is so scary about your friend's DD. All the more reason for me to get a video monitor, which I think I'm going to do given the rolling issues and the fact that I think I'm doomed to have a climber in a few months. Most of my friends have recommended Summer Infant. Have others had good luck with those?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We had a Summer Infant and liked it very much. My son is a climber and it's been a real challenge. Now that he's three he is even scarier. Book cases, bureaus, the mullions on our bay window (like a tree frog!). I even had to take the drawer pulls of a row of drawers in my kitchen because he was using them as a ladder to get up on the counter. Yesterday I walked into the kitchen, he had pulled a chair over and was standing on the counter reaching into a top cupboard to get my car keys. (AARRGGHH!) He was out of the crib at 22 months so be prepared! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Good Morning.  We have successfully transitions DS to whole milk.  He is drinking the milk out of a sippy cup in the afternoon and before bed.  Although I dont think he is taking in as much as he would in the bottle, I am glad to have tranistioned that for now and I am pretty sure he will drink more as time goes on.  So this morning, was the first morning I was going to give him a sippy cup of milk instead of a bottle.  He always wakes up hungry so I assumed he would just drink it down.  No such luck.  As soon as he saw the sippy cup he screamed.  He was so mad, I ended up giving in and putting it in a bottle, he was much happier and drank the whole thing down. 

DS is just 1.  So my question is, should I just let him cry and eventually he will drink it out of the cup because he is hungry, or just keep giving it in the bottle for now?  My concern is, the longer he keeps using the bottle, the harder it will be for me to take it away, but on the other hand, he is just 1 and still a baby so maybe it is ok to let him have 1 bottle a day?  Any advice?   I remember for DD that the nighttime bottle was the one that was hard to take away and she had that till 18 months when the doctor told me that was enough and I just had to take it away.  I cant remember it being that big of a deal at the time but that seems like so long ago that it is hard to remember exactly. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I know there are reasons why it might be beneficial to give up the bottle, however in our house DD is 21 months and still takes a morning and night bottle of about 6-7 ounces, sometimes less (she'll push it away when done).  The reasons I've heard for giving up the bottle do not apply in our situation, but I know in some families they do.  These are:

Child can walk around with bottle all day, eating on demand (DD does not even hold her own bottle, and certainly never walks around with it.)

Child has bottle in crib, which can lead to tooth decay and other issues (not the case with us).

Child relies too much on milk instead of eating solid food, therefore missing out on nutrients (not the case with us).

Child won't use a sippy cup or anything other than a bottle (not the case with us).

Are there other reasons bottle-feeding between 12-24 months (I do plan to wean by 24 months, one of the reasons I'm waiting another couple of months is that DD's baby brother will be arriving next week and I don't want to take the bottle away right when that happens, and also I feel I can prepare her for the transition when she's almost 2) is an issue?  I'm actually curious what other reasons people have been given, because I'm frankly tired of being told something is right or wrong without relevant evidence to back it up.

(not directed at you, Quadgirl!! this just happens to be something I've been thinking of anyway lately)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Poppy and Quad - I have no concrete evidence that using a bottle after 12 months is bad. My mother says I had one until I was 3 and my older brother took it away because "I wasn't a baby anymore."
    The only thing my pedi told me was that the longer you wait, the harder it is. They get really attached to it. A 12 month old will scream for a day and then adjust. At age 2 they have more self agency and will hold out or complain about it for longer.
    I think you should do whatever makes you comfortable, especially with #2 coming soon.
    I did take away the morning and night bottles in a day with my twins. My DD cried the SECOND morning - but that was it, they never looked back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Poppy, First I cant beleive your baby is already coming next week.  Time flies. Second, all the reasons you listed above do not apply to my family either.   And like you, I do not now what is right or wrong either, I can only remember that my doc said at 18 months no more.  Like lily, i think I had a bottle till about 3 and I dont still use one :-). 

Maybe it is ok for him to have one bottle a day in the morning, but I think I want to take it away because I am sick of washing them.  Maybe that is selfish but with 2 kids I have so much to do washing bottles just adds to the list.  We use born free bottles and they have a lot of parts.   I also feel like if I take it away it is one less thing for me to to have to worry about changing.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Poppy, when are you due?  So exciting!  My DS is turning 1 next Wednesday, so they might be exactly 1 year apart!  Too bad I don't really know you because it'd be the perfect hand-me-down situation!  LOL

As far as the bottles are concerned, I'm just as eager to get DS off of them as Quad is for basically the same reasons - they are such a pain to wash.  We started him on 1 bottle of cow's milk a day (yesterday) and I had meant to give him the milk in the sippy, but I haven't gotten a chance to get him a new one (DD chewed through the silicone spout ones she had).  We're also actively trying to wean him from the binky too, and now he only gets it for sleeping.  He's also consolidated to 1 nap now!  So exciting that he's growing up!  I'm looking forward to being out of the baby stage!!  

So Poppy, if it doesn't bother you, I guess it's okay, but it also might not bother DD to give it up and have her milk in a cup instead.  

I have a lot of catching up to do, I haven't logged in for a while, but I do see that Medford's DD turned 2, so happy birthday!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Lily, I just thought of a quick question that you might be able to answer.  Since you took the bottles away from your kids in one day, did they not take in as much milk as the pedi would like?  If not, Did you add in more foods with calcium to make up for the fact they were not drinking enough milk? 

Trouble, we are slowing do the same with the binky.  He only gets it in the crib and in the car although I should probably take it away from him in the car soon since he does not really need it. I took this approach with DD and it make it really easy to permentatly take it away.  Hopefully it will be the same with DS.    I still need the 2 nap a day break with DS so i hope he does not stop that anytime soon :-).  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Quad - I would not worry so much about the amount of milk.  There is no magic number of ounces that they need to take at one year .

As far as the bottles - one other potential supposed concern is with speech and also kids who drink from a bottle apparently tend to hold the milk in the mouth longer and can increase risk of tooth decay . I think this is much more likely to be an issue with juice which I would never give in a bottle (actually never give at all anyway).  I really don't know if any of these issues are really a concern with 1-2 bottles per day and the issues that Poppy talked about above are probably more pressing.

Attachment to the bottle may become more of an issue the longer you stick with it.  I think that would be my concern if any at all.

I am not sure, Poppy,, if DD will be trying to use your baby's bottles or not.  We still use a pacifier (Ugh!) with DD #1 only for naps and car times and she has NEVER put DD #2 pacifier in her mouth so I guess it completely depends on the child . DD # 2 does like to give her baby dolls bottles and clearly associates bottles with being a baby so if you were to try and stop (not advising you do one way or the other) I think it may be easier at this time because you can stress that the bottle is for the baby.

Sippy cups also can cause speech issues so it is not clear to me which one would be better. We still use sippy cups but try and use mostly the ones with straws since it can improve the muscles and DD is a drooler .

That being said, I can't stand cleaning bottles (now back in the thick of things) and I think DD # 1 stopped with the bottle around 12-15 months. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

we just did this to DS- who just turned 2. we talked for 2 weeks about taking it away- he was still getting them in the morning and at night- (he wears a brace, and it was the easiest way to get him dressed/undressed with it). the first day he was really proud, then we had a few rough days where we had tantrums. it is kind of hit or miss at night- mornings have been better because he has become a cereal bar addict and will wait for that.

he has not been taking in as much milk, and will refuse cold milk in a sippy in its place. we have tried to implement cookie time at night before the bedtime routine with milk as well.  I have been worried about fluid intake in general given how hot he is, but he lives off water and has seemed to do ok. appetite has picked up though.

i chose now, figuring his birthday was a "good time" to emphasize being grown up and since we have a baby due in 3 weeks (that would start bottles in another 6 or so?) that we could emphasize that bottles are for babies, giving him a 2 month window to accept it.)

I thought about him stealing them from the baby- but he transitioned to milk from breastmilk at 14 months of age, and I figured it would taste different enough it wouldn't become a problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My pedi said 16-24 ounces of milk - that's only 2-3 cups. I had a day or two where i offered nothing else when I wanted them to learn to drink milk out of the sippy instead of a bottle. After that we were fine. But I wouldn't stress about it. The milk intake will increase when he gets used to the sippy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Poppy - at my 15m appt, DD was still taking 2 bottles a day and my pedi did say there is evidence that extended bottle use past 12m can increase the rate of ear infections.  I have also heard the speech rationale, but that also applies to sippy cups.  I think in general, the preference is to have them on straw cups or regular cups as soon as possible.  We did not fully abide by that preference with either child.  We fully switched DD to sippy cups over the past month (she's 17m) and I was worried about her fluid intake at first and it was less initially, but now she seems to have caught back up.  DD can use straw/straw cups and can also drink out of a regular cup, but is a total mess disaster with all of those, unless it is one of those straw cups where the straw is very firmly attached... so that is why with both kids, we did use sippy cups for a bit. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I think I am just going to take the bottle away tomorrow morning, deal with him for a few days and move on.  Ill keep you updated. 

Now this is making me think that DD 3 1/2 should not be using a sippy cup anymore?  She has perfect speech and never had an ear infection so I am not worried about that.  The dentist nor the doctor every told me to stop using them.  Everytime I give her a reg cup she spills it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Quad - I was wondering the same thing. My DS does have speech delay - but of course with us it's probably because of his hearing loss. No one has every said anything to me about sippy cups. My house will be a total disaster if I have to go to open cups. My two have never been a huge fan of the straw cups - although they are getting better at them.

On a high note - the MA house and Senate both passed House Bill 52 which will require health insurance to cover hearing aids (up to $2,000 per ear every 36 months) for children up to age 21. This will save the Lily household about $40K over the next 18 years. Let's just hope the governor signs it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Omg, lily, he HAS to sign it. What, are they considered optional?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Quad, I'd start giving your 3 yr old a regular cup with an itsy bitsy amount of liquid, when she is sitting down for meals/snacks, and emphasize that she is big enough to start drinking like a big girl like mommy.  Any child attending a childcare center is most likely not on sippy cups at snack and lunch, we get them onto regular cups by 2 yrs old -and, yes, we fill those cups up a zilion and a half times, and we know that spills happen, but....

Then you'd have your 3 yr old use a sippy only when at the park like you'd use a travel mug/water bottle.  Yes, the constant sucking from sippy cups overworks various muscles that aren't necessary for speech...  and because they are sippy cups and "won't spill on the couch" we tend to give children those sippies all day long whereever they are, vs starting at 3 yrs old to encourage them to sit down when drinking, drink at meals but not all day (and drinking all day can kill their appetite when they do sit for meals/snacks, which means they don't eat as much, which makes us nervous they aren't getting enough nutrition so we amp up the milk drinking... so it's a vicious cycle.)

Look, many women continue to nurse their toddlers once or twice a day (usually first thing in the morning and at bedtime) and are we worried about it? I view Poppy's use of a bottle as the same thing.  Now, if a child is wandering around with a bottle or sippy cup, drinking/nursing all day, or TALKING THROUGH the pacifier (you know, where they talk while holding on to the binky with their mouth/tongue/teeth and therefore cause themselves to lisp), then I'm concerned  and it's gotta stop for speech issues.  But as long as when they are in the carseat they aren't talking through their pacifier (you can always say "I don't understand you when your paci is in your mouth - take it out and ask me again"), or talking through the paci during book reading before bedtime, it won't kill them unless it's already changed their bite, in which case your pedi should have noticed. 

Of course, I think sometimes parents give/offer the paci, bottle or sippy as a habit - that is, you pick up your child from childcare and your child is happy, thrilled to see you, etc.  And you pick up your child and pop that paci in... and your child accepts it... but did the child NEED it?  Nope!  So you are just continuing the habit, and eventually your child will develop a "need" for it at pickup, so I do think as parents you can sometimes be unconcious about paci/bottle/sippy use.

But that's not what you guys are talking about. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks CT - I think you make some great points.   Giving DD a sippy is just that, habit. She needs a drink, I fill up a sippy.  Your right though, she is probably old enough to start using an open cup at meals at the table.  Ill give it a try.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

WE do open cups at meals sometimes. It can be messy. Why or why do they have to stick their hands in the cups?
    At least we didn't have the paci issue. DD never would take one and DS was weaned at 12 weeks because he didn't seem to need it.

Since DS finally potty trained this week we can start moving on to the next thing -  big kid cups. He was totally resistant the other times I tried potty training, so I backed off. A few weeks ago I asked his preschool teacher for some tips. She told me to send him to her in undies (with lots of extra clothes). In a week he was accident free. And the last 3 days he's been waking up dry too!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Quad - I was wondering the same thing. My DS does have speech delay - but of course with us it's probably because of his hearing loss. No one has every said anything to me about sippy cups. My house will be a total disaster if I have to go to open cups. My two have never been a huge fan of the straw cups - although they are getting better at them. On a high note - the MA house and Senate both passed House Bill 52 which will require health insurance to cover hearing aids (up to $2,000 per ear every 36 months) for children up to age 21. This will save the Lily household about $40K over the next 18 years. Let's just hope the governor signs it.
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]
    Lily, I HOPE and WISH that they sign it!!! My mom is half deaf, so I have a lot of empathy for the hearing impaired. I will cross my fingers and toes!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Quad, you might find it encouraging to know I do have one friend who skipped sippy cups altogether and found it fairly easy. Her dd was not allowed to walk around with a drink, and mom had to keep adding to the cup at the table so it was never very full, but it worked that way for them. I was pretty surprised by it until she reminded me that sippy cups are a fairly new invention, lol. I'm not suggesting it's a good idea, per se, just offering anecdotal evidence that it could work great!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

OK I need some support ladies...my poor DD has reflux issues that are making her absolutely miserable. Details are on the thread I started...long story short I just made her an appt for tomorrow morning at 9am. I know she is in pain for/after some of her feedings and I can't stand seeing her in pain anymore! She's so helpless, I feel helpless, I've nearly cried along with her...