August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

I have brought my DS to my dr. every time I have gone for the past year.  They have been quick in and out appts though, just a quick check for strep etc.   And actually he's coming with me today to my annual.  I am going loaded with as many snacks as I can put in my bag.  If he's eating he's content.  Trying to figure out what other tricks I can pull out of my bag.  He is entertained by anything new so if the dr. gives him a tongue depressor or somehting he would be quite content for a while. 
     It's not ideal to bring a toddler, but I can't see making my parents drive 2 hrs to come baby sit for a 1/2 hr appt.    I never thought twice about taking him when he was in the bucket seat! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Boston: My DD was only 7 months when I got pg again and I brought her to many OB appointments.  I'd leave her in the stroller unless DH was there too, and then he could hold her.  A regular annual is only like 10-15 minutes, right?  I'm sure it'll be fine to bring her.  No one ever told me that it was wrong to bring her and no one ever gave me dirty looks, etc.

AJuly: I'm so happy to hear how well your trip went!  It's just amazing how resilient kids can be, isn't it?

Glad EOE seems to be doing well!

AFM: DD (27 months) has gotten really aggresive over the past week or so, and DH and I are realizing that she needs to suffer some consequences if we're going to nip this behavior in the bud.  She's been tackling her little brother (12 months), standing on his head or back, etc.  It's frightening to us parents, but to make matters worse, he thinks it's hilarious.  When we tell her no, she completely ignores us.  Also, if we tell DS no to something, she immediately goes and does it.  Like, "No, DS, don't go in that corner" and she runs over into the corner.  

So yesterday was the first "time out" we've done in a while.  I put her on a wing chair in the living room after she tromped over DS, and of course she was hysterical, but only got off of it once.  DH timed her for 2 minutes, and then came over to get her off and ask for an apology.  

So a couple of questions about time outs to other older toddler moms:
    1. Should there be no communication with the child while they are in time out? Like tell them why they are there at the start and then do not talk to them for the actual time out.
    2. Should the same parent who put the child in time out release her?
    3. What should be the resolution to the time out at 2yrs?  Ask for an apology?  Ask her to tell us what she did wrong? (I doubt that will happen)

I don't want my kids to turn into monsters, but I find discipline very difficult!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I'd definitely take the bucket... chances are she'll probably be sleeping (hopefully) and you'll be in and out quick.  But ALF makes a good point, a quick call to inquire wouldn't hurt.

So, I think I have birthed the next Jason Bieber.  My 22 mth DS absolutely LOVES the radio.  And it must be Pop (kill me now).  He wants Rihanna and even told me to stop on an Eminim song yesterday.  He totally sings along to the songs.  And it takes so much to not drive off the road as I try to catch a glimpse of him in the rear view mirror, he's trying so hard to get the words right.  Last night driving home from daycare... that song 'Somebody I used to Know' came on.  I think its his favorite.  I heard "maa ba da you to know...buddy...da ma to know"  It was priceless.  Its kinda like how my mother sings along - she knows about every 4th word :-)  Daycare teachers say he's the only one in the class who knows ALL the words to their songs (he sings Twinkle Twinkle to himself in his crib every night).  Does anyone know of music classes or something I could do to really harness his love of music at such a young age?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

IPW: Music together!  We've been going for about a year now and both of mine just love music too!  We asked the leader (who also does private lessons) how we could foster their love of music, and he said that younger than 6 or so is too young for lessons and the best thing to do is just listen to lots of music and do sing alongs.  DD sings all the time and DS dances... soooooo cute!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

KAM, I think if that woman had any sense of humor at all she'd just giggle at your son's misidentification, honestly. :) I had the most amazing day yesterday with the nearly 2 mo old triplets, 2 yo, and mom. Whoa, nilly, that's a lot of...everything!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

IPW DD dances to every song on the radio. its so cute to watch. Dances to the Diego theme song when DS watches. Dances to absolutely everything. DS is also a big music fan he's been known to sing Adele and the other day we heard him singing "moves like Jager." So much fun to have music lovers for kids.

Well, after all our craziness with a sick DD last week, we were back in the doctors office again yesterday with the rebound double ear infection. Hopefully this round of antibiotics will help her ward off anything else that's heading her way! It's been a solid 7 weeks of weekly pedi/er visits for the KAM house with DD.

Yeah, hopefully the ninja woman was smiling under that burka-prob is I'll never know! I know what it's like to have the little kids comment about your appearance, I've been in a brace from my chest to my knees-there was no hiding it under clothes. And the comments from the little kids were so sweet and funny. It was the stares from the adults that got old quickly!

We took DS to try and buy him a new bike last night. this will be his third! He's had a trike, a 12 inch bike and now he's totally outgrown it and needs a bigger bike-of course he's too big for a 16 in and slightly too small for a 20... He has simple demands in this bike: blue, hand brakes and a kick stand. Simple enough you'd think! We can't seem to find any that are blue-all are pink or purple in his size. But to get the kid to ride the girls bike to see if it's the right size is impossible. I got him to sit on one purple bike but he refused to pedal so the bike "expert" was worried about how much trouble he'd have learning on that bike. All the time DS was wispering to me "Mommy, I don't want a purple bike." He really looked like he was going to cry with the thought of getting a purple bike. It was soo sweet!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Trouble - I just got this email from Pampers about time outs.

http://www.pampers.com/making-time-out-work-for-you?utm_source=PPINewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PostnatalEmail

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

KAM, how tall is your son?  Isn't he 3?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Trouble, DD is a little younger (23 months) but already "spirited," so here's what we do:

1) Time out occurs in a chair in our living room.  Whatever the offense was (usually hitting, throwing things, or risking her life), we say, "[offense] is NO," and plunk her in the chair.  Whomever put her in time out then stands in front of the chair with our back to her for 1-2 minutes.  If the TV or music was on, we shut it off.  We don't speak to her or to each other. 

2) After the alloted time has elapsed, we turn around, pick her up, and sit down in the chair, saying, "we need to talk," and then explain, "Hitting mama in the face with a puzzle piece/climbing on top of the table/throwing your sippie with intent to injure hurts mama/could make an ouch/is wrong and extremely concerning and needs to stop."  (this is probably an exercise in futility, but I think the sitting in our lap/calm voice helps settle her down). 

3) We ask her to say sorry, but her language isn't all that so we substitute, "do nice" instead -- she strokes our cheeks.  Then we give a big kiss and redirect.  And make a mental note to up the therapy fund, because we're probably doing it wrong. 

So, to answer your questions, we stick with no communcation/stimuli during the time out; the parent who placed in time out is the releaser by virtue of also serving as the silent wall (keeps us from having to chase her around and put her back in time out), and we ask for an apologist gesture, but no admission of guilt.  But note that we are winging it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We all know that human behavior is to do (or at least want to do) exactly what we are told not to do. If anyone tells us even as adults,, "Dont do xyz," we're driven subconsciously to want to do xyz. So, the more you can replace "don't" with "do" the more you will garner compliance from a basic human nature perspective. My ex was a paramedic, and he got FAR more compliance when he said, "Stay still," instead of, "Don't move," for instance. Instead of, "Don't jump on your brother's head," say, "Be gentle with your brother." This definitely won't solve the whole problem, but it will give you a subconscious edge. It will feel awkward at first to switch it around, but will feel more natural after awhile.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Winer DS is a little over 40 inches tall, though he may be taller-he's 3.5 so the official measure was over 6 months ago...I've been researching how to size a bike and the starting point is inseam-That should be fun to get him to stand still for.

As for punishment-we did a bear hug time out. DS would never stay in the time out corner/chair. so it always turned into the battle of wills. I've started to implement Magic 1-2-3, though I don't always agree with all aspects of it, and less than 2 years is young to implement how they do time outs (they recommend leaving along in their bedroom). But we do not talk to them when in time out. I think that's the true torture for DS.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Wow KAM he's going to be nice and tall. :) Good luck with the bike measuring.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Yeah, the height predictors are saying he'll be 6 ft 6 inches...I'm guessing he'll level out at 6ft-considering that's what all the men in my family measure in at-even his great grandfathers. He's long and lean, gets it from me, though I'm short and wide. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My DS doesn't have a chance at 6 feet.  I'll be happy with 5.7 or 5.8, but we are a short stock.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW, my daughter is similar with the music and singing (although she likes all genres).  She started doing Music Together this summer with my mom and it has been a huge hit.  Huge.  She loves it.  From what I can tell, it's a good set up for kids who can walk and who can go get the instruments, put them away, et cetera.  (They advertise it starting younger, but personally I think that would be a waste of money.)
    She likes it a lot and my mom likes having a structured/mandatory thing to do with her, so we signed up again for fall even though it is not cheap.  When I was home more days, though, I took her to singalongs at the library and at toy stores and book stores.  So definitely scour your area for things like that.  And I made her own dance party playlist on our iPod.  That's the only exercise I get!  :)

Interested in the time outs.  So far most of DD's infractions involve an object that we take away so we haven't done real time outs.  I definitely agree that the removal of your attention (i.e. not talking) is a good strategy, though.  Once DD was touching the outlet and my husband kept giving her a long winded explanation while sitting with her about how she shouldn't touch it.  Obviously she kept doing it - she got rewarded with extra attention!  Silly DH.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Does anyone else have the FP SpaceSaver High Chair and use it as a booster?  We lost the instruction manual (seriously must be the only one I don't have!) and I wanted to be sure we converted it to a booster correctly. 
    We basically just removed the back.  Anything else that needs to be done?  It seems so awkward.  DD was using this booster while we were on vacation and I liked it so much more.  In the SpaceSaver, it now seems like the seat doesn't go up straight enough and the tray is too high.  We'll probably switch to the other booster, if there is no way to adjust the SS.  It's lucky that we have it, but disappointing that we couldn't use the SS longer.  Thanks!

ETA: Found these instructions (guess I hadn't looked long enough).  It doesn't look like the types of adjustments I would like to make are possible.  Maybe if I adjust the height and push DD up to the table it'll work better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

All your discussions about discipline have me worried how we'll figure it out when the time comes. What books did you all read to prepare you for toddlerhood?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram - we have that high chair and still use it for DD (just turned 2).
    We left the back on, but did what you described - adjusted the height and pushed it up to our dining room table.
    Also, to get it all the way in to the table, we had to angle the arms down, which looks kind of weird but really doesn't matter since the tray is off.
    We also took off the shoulder straps and just left the waist/crotch strap, so she's able to lean forward to eat at the table more easily.

We have a booster similar to the one you have (we leave it in the car for travel or friends' houses) but I like the SS better because it adjusts higher up for her to reach the table better.
    My two eating-at-the-table caveats are (1) at first she kept putting her feet on the table which was both annoying and dangerous since she could theoretically push herself backwards.  So we did have to move it down a notch in height.  I think this actually helped her be more comfy, too, because she could rest her feet on the chair instead of dangling.  And (2) with the shoulder straps off, if she gets mad she can WHAM her torso back against the back of the SS chair.  With that we just decided to go the discipline route, and take her out if she doesn't listen.  :)

Arcain - I don't read books, I just post here and people tell me what they say.  :)
    In seriousness, though, I also have been reading parenting columns for a couple of years and that helped me learn things over time - although obviously not an immediate answer to a particular question.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Arcain - I read 1-2-3 Magic, Positive Discipline and the No-Cry Discipline Solution. I'm now reading one about "Sprited Children".
    Discipline isn't easy - and is one of the least pleasant parts of being a parent.
    I find timeouts to be useless for the most part. I have better luck putting the toys in timeout than the kids. Maybe I'm just bad at it - but I find it totally stressful to try and keep them on a chair or in a corner for 3 minutes. I feel like those moms on Supernanny.
    We use lots of things from all the books above. But my DS still climbs everything - no matter what I do. So I just keep taking him down off of stuff and saying "we don't climb the counters, we don't climb the bureau etc., etc., etc.
    And I thank my lucky stars he hasn't fallen and hurt himself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There are a number of very different discipline philosophies, and I think you first need to find out what discipline style you believe will fit your personality and overall approach to general parenting so you can get a book that "rings true" to you. Amazon's reviews are immeasurably helpful in figuring out what books would help you the most or, conversely, present ideas totally contrary to your general idea of how you want to approach things.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

misslily - everything I have ever seen about time outs for young kids (like yours) requires you to stay with them to keep them there.  So I don't know how that would even be possible with two.  Plus I've read a bunch of stuff saying they don't work for every kid.  So I don't think you're going to get supernannied!

kar - good point about philosophy.  I wish I could get some kind of philosophy primer!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Med, I agree! What do you think of this list? http://empoweredmommies.com/blogs/notes_from_ivanna/archive/2010/04/23/parenting-philosophies-and-discipline-techniques-101.aspx

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Too cute IPW about the singing. 

With regard to time outs we do them but thankfully not often.
    Last night DD put her shoe on the table while she was sitting in the high chair.  Not a big issue but I told her we don't put shoes on the table because we eat from the table.  She did it again.  I warned her if she did it again she would go to time out.  The little stinker put her foot half way on the table and half off.   Well, clearly this was a battle of the wills so I put her in time out.

We do time out in a pack in play in a spare bedroom. I walk out of the room and leave for about 1 minute.  She certainly can say sorry but doesn't always.  HTOTB says don't get into a battle of wills over sorry.  However, if she is not acting nice and remorseful I will leave her in there for another minute.

I don't like discipline either but I also think that if I did not reign in DD occasionally she would act up a lot more.  I have noticed that a solid time out gets a lot of mileage.  I ended up putting her in time out after many conversations about how saying "stop it" is not nice.  Well, since doing so, I think I have only heard her say it once and that was to the dog!

Warning about time outs seems very effective as long as we follow through if the behavior continues .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm having the same trouble with DS. I tell him to stop and he does it again just to test me. I did give him a time out for throwing rocks yesterday. Right upstairs into an empty bedroom with a gate. DD wanted to "do a time out, too" (sigh). Often, I can get him to react with a warning like "Do you want me to take your truck away?" or "Do you want a time out?" "No." "Then stop that behavior." DD is so much easier than DS. Must be a personality difference since they get treated the same.
    I've had such a hard time lately. Getting through August with 2 three year olds who no longer nap isn't easy. Having no back yard due to a landscaping project gone awry doesn't help. (It's almost done...but what a hassle!). I totally lost it today when I found him in the bathroom standing in the pedestal sink. He could have broken his neck if he had fallen (not to mention the sink). I was screaming "Stop climbing, stop, stop stop. I can't take it anymore!" Poor kid must think his mama is a lunatic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Aww, Misslily...<hugs>

I don't know much about discipline just yet, but I can imagine how frustrating it is to get a three year old to stop climbing. My friends one year old gave himself a little shock after chewing on some laptop cord. My friend told him about a thousand times to leave it alone (It was on a desk and couldn't be moved) and he didn't listen, well until he was in pain!

AFM, DD was just smiling big time at me. After I fed her she laid in her crib and smiled, so I kept her going. It was awesome, even at 4am!

I start thre Great Beginnings class at Isis today. Looking forward to meeting other moms and babies. I really hope DD is in a good mood. She has been acting a little weird the past couple of days. Very fussy inbetween feedings and yesterday she had no interest in taking her whole bottle. But of course, was up every 3 hours last night gulping down 4oz. I think she gets really mad when she can't p00p, which causes her to shy away from eating until she does.

Anyone else have thunderstorms for about an hour last night?? When do babies start noticing them?