Baby in a one-bedroom apartment?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Baby in a one-bedroom apartment?

I'm looking for some perspective from people who have done this before, namely starting off your family while still living in a one-bedroomed condo.

We do not have the space to turn a closet into a 'room' or anything like that, and our bathroom is through the bedroom, so I'm concerned that tramping through during the evening will disturb a sleeping baby.

Should we be thinking of putting up a screen or curtain around the crib to muffle noise/light?  Has anyone done this before?  Is this safe?  Any other ideas to make sure baby sleeps while we're in the very next room?

Hopefully our situation will improve (or we will move to a larger place) around the 1-year mark at the latest so it won't be forever (crosses fingers).
    Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Baby in a one-bedroom apartment?

I don't have kids, but being 40 I have many friends who do.  When we got a puppy, a close friend with 3 kids gave me one piece of advice she'd learned from her kids:  Do NOT be quiet or change your routine one bit for the sleeping puppy.  It will set you up to always have to be quiet when its asleep.  If you make your regular noise,  no matter how loud that is, the puppy will learn to go to sleep and stay asleep through it.  She was right.  Our dog falls asleep with the TV on, the mixer on high, etc.  I thought of her every time I was about to vacuum, use appliances, run the dishwasher, turn on the TV and tramp around the wood floored house with my heavy shoes on.  I'm SO GLAD for her advice, and I'd follow it for a baby, too.

All that to say, you live where you live and your baby will be fine as it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

In my experiance, kids will sleep through thing that are going on around them as long as that is the way it has always been. 

We live in a 2 bedroom condo and when we got pregnant the second time I had minor anxiety about both kids being in one room.  Then we found out we were having twins and it blossomed in to major anxiety. ;-) 

Turns out it was all for naught.  I moved the babies in one at a time as they started sleeping through the night.  My oldest never had any issue and neither did the babies.  And my son is LOUD!  He can wake me up when he starts talking in the middle of the night but so far so good with the other kids.

So I would not put too much effort in keeping things super quiet just normal life sounds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Baby in a one-bedroom apartment?:
    [QUOTE]In my experiance, kids will sleep through thing that are going on around them as long as that is the way it has always been.  
    Posted by dz76[/QUOTE]

We posted the same thing at the same time, lol!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

That means we must be right!!! LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Let me just add that at first, a baby will sleep anywhere. In the living room in the pack and play next to the TV while you're making dinner, in the car, at the park in broad daylight.  So having baby in your room and going back and forth to the bathroom shouldn't be a problem at first.
    The problem is that babies are noisy sleepers.  I know lots of new moms co-sleep anyway.
    And for the record - even now at 2 1/2 if my DD wakes up crying loudly in the middle of the night her twin brother sleeps right through it. Same goes for him - they never wake each other up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Check out the IKEA catalog.  They have a few set-ups for small apartment with baby living.  It will make you feel like you can do it, even if it's harder to make things look so pretty in real life than it is in the IKEA catalogue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh, you really want to check out Apartment Therapy. The guy who runs the site lives in a 265-sq ft apartment with his wife and kid:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/house-tours/inside-out-max-and-sara-kates-small-really-is-cool-019406

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Fuzzy, we actually have a three bedroom house and DD was in our room for the first 12 months, and still co-sleeps with us sometimes. We loved having her close by and she seemed to like being close to us.

Like others have said, you don't keep quiet and you don't even keep the lights off when you need it, baby sleeps without a screen or anything. My advice is to just get a co-sleeper at first, and then a pack and play as your crib and keep the baby in that until you move.

Our pediatrician like to comment "well, most the world lives that way." when we would talk about our voluntary sleeping arrangement. Yes, most of the world does live in more communal areas and families all of the world bed down together.

Honestly, she moved to her own room because we were tired of hearing everyone tell us she shouldn't be in our room anymore. She adjusted fine but my husband and I really miss her at night and it was a hard adjustment for us, the parents, to have her in her own room.

I have a co-worker living in a one bedroom condo with her husband and four year old. They make it work and have no complaints and no immediate plans to move (partly financial, mostly because they love their location).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, you really want to check out Apartment Therapy. The guy who runs the site lives in a 265-sq ft apartment with his wife and kid: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/house-tours/inside-out-max-and-sara-kates-small-really-is-cool-019406
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

I'm really wanting to downsize our house so I was very interested to have a look at this.  So I saw the changing table, but I couldn't figure out where the baby slept?  Do not tell me she sleeps on the changing table?!

I think you can totally have a baby in a one bedroom apartment.  I have a 4 bed old colonial farmhouse now and I'm totally kicking myself for not going for a smaller more efficently designed space.  We have so many rooms that go unused and I really feel like it's just more to clean and heat.  Hopefully as my kids get older we'll do some remodeling and start using the whole house.  That and I need to get a maid!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When it comes right down to brass tacks, your apt is a palace compared to many places lots of happy, healthy babies were raised in throughout human history.  Your baby won't know or care if it's an actual palace or a one bedroom apartment as long as its filled with love and his needs are met, neither of which are silence and darkness.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I think the baby sleeps in a Moses basket on the ledge next to their bed.  Frankly, this didn't look very safe to me for a 6 month old.  A newborn in swaddles maybe.  But not a 6 month old.
    That aside, I liked ML's suggestion to get a pack and play as a crib.  That way you can move it easily to find what works for you, and you also will have it for overnight trips and won't have to store an extra thing.
    There was also some discussion on Somerville Moms yahoo group about this, and I think someone said they had curtained off part of the living room (instead of the bedroom) so that is another option.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oceangirl503. Show oceangirl503's posts

I'm doing this right now. So far, it's easier than I thought it would be. Someone mentioned above that it is harder for the parents to share a room than it is for the baby. I find that this is true. Babies are noisy sleepers. They breathe loudly, grunt, snort and squeak. Of course when he is silent and still I wake up and have to make sure he's ok! The best piece of advice I have for you is to make sure you are organized ahead of time. Go through every room and closet and throw out, donate or store anything you don't need. This has made all the difference making room for his swing, playmat, changing stuff, clothes, etc. Also, check out mini cribs. It fits perfectly next to our bed and as a bonus, was cheaper than a full-sibed crib and still converts into a toddler bed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

One more somewhat unrelated bit of advice (Oceangirl reminded me), use as many hand me downs and second hands as you can so that you aren't attached to all the baby clutter - the swing, the playmat, etc. As soon as your baby is through that phase, pass it on or donate it as soon as possible to save you space and storage fees. I would imagine if you bought everything new, you wouldn't be inclined to do this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Our dog snores, runs, and barks in her sleep, all of which used to wake me up, none of which does now.  Don't normal baby sleeping sounds get incorporated into your subconscious so it doesn't wake you up, too?  If my dog whines to let me know she has a problem, that wakes me up instantly.  Otherwise, I'm snoring (but hopefully not barking) along with her.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

[QUOTE]Our dog snores, runs, and barks in her sleep, all of which used to wake me up, none of which does now.  Don't normal baby sleeping sounds get incorporated into your subconscious so it doesn't wake you up, too?  If my dog whines to let me know she has a problem, that wakes me up instantly.  Otherwise, I'm snoring (but hopefully not barking) along with her.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

No, not in my experience.  I think it's another one of those biological mom things.  I wake up with the slightest noise/fuss and I swear sometimes I wake up RIGHT BEFORE LO starts to fuss (my almost 4 month old is still in our bedroom).  My DH, on the other hand, will snore through most cries/ fusses unless LO gets really loud.  I used to be a really heavy sleeper too.  I grew up with my bedroom window next to a NYC subway line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Right before she fusses - now, that's Mommy instinct!  

I didn't think I'd even wake up for her whining because I'm an extremely sound sleeper, but I do, and it's the quietest noise she makes at night.  The tiniest little, "Hrmph," and I'm awake, but her loud snoring and barking in her sleep don't wake me up.  I wonder how I'd be with an actual human child...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I believe I've read somewhere that there's a biological shift that happens post-partum where mothers are more sensitive to noises, which makes evolutionary sense, obviously. I am just like Trouble--I'll wake up at the slightest noise and, more often than not, before hand. And, I also wake up with a start when I realize that no noises have woken me up recently. Gah--you can't win as a mother!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I couldn't live in a one-bedroom apartment with my family -- I would Lose. My. Mind. Our daughter sleeps well but only if she has her own space and a closed door. This is something that's gone on since she was born, pretty much, although I tried my best to bedshare or cosleep. She just wasn't having it. But lots of people do well in a small apartment and I think most babies and kids LIKE to share a room -- they find it comforting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hi!  Not sure if this is feasible, but my friends in NYC always used to rent 1-bed apartments and then add something like this to create another bedroom space to share it and save on rent:
    www.roomdividersny.com/
    Even a few bookcases may help create some separation/privacy for you guys and baby

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

But if you do opt for something like this you HAVE to bracket it SECURELY to the floor, wall, everything.  As soon as the kid can reach, it'll be pulling up on those shelves and as soon as the kid can climb, it'll be climbing them like a ladder.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

We started off in a one bdrm unit with our baby. It was difficult because of the lack of space. We ended up putting his crib in the living room and pack and play in our bdrm. We did not have a changing table and didn't really need one. Changing tables are dangerous anyways because of the fall factor. We just put our baby on the futon and changed him there. More room to change him on!

At night, since he was still waking up at least once...he started off sleeping in the pack n play in our room. My DH and I could hang out in the living room to relax, watch tv, talk, etc. When DS woke up in the middle of the night for his feeding we would switch him over to his crib in the living room.

We didn't have the most ideal situation but it worked for us at the time.

Now we live in a 2 bdrm house so we have lots more room but it was hard with space when he was a newborn. You will make it work though. At least you have a one bdrm. If you had a studio it would be worse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Definitely, lissafro!  Good point!  Good thing furniture anchors and brackets are available.  Also, that site shows these full, but not permanent, walls.... not sure if there are comparable companies up here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Are you expecting now or planning for the future?  Either way, welcome!  :o)

I absolutely think you will be able to make it work in a one bedroom apartment.  My brother is actually in that situation now.  When their baby was first born, she slept in their room in a bassinet, but now sleeps in the dining room in her crib.  I had never really thought of it, but it might be better if the crib were in the bedroom, so they wouldn't have to be so quiet at night.

My experiences with my baby (9mos) seem to have been different from a lot of others.  She does not make a lot of noise at night, so sharing a room would not be a problem in that way.  She does start to grumble as she is waking up, so maybe for the last hour or so of her sleep.
    However, she does wake up/does not sleep through anything.  Maybe she did when she was a newborn, but not anymore.  My theory is that it has to do with what point of her sleep cycle she is in because for 5 nights I will close her door with no problem, but then one night bam! it wakes her up.  So I know people say you should go about your business, but we do have to be a little quiet at night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Well I'm hoping baby-to-be inherits my ability to sleep standing up..it will certainly help.  I think keeping the baby close at night will probably be easiest, I think we'll just have to keep the noise down with the TV and go the bathroom in the dark!  I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and we won't be a shoebox forever.  Thanks for the suggestions