Bedtime feeding

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Bedtime feeding

DS is 10 mon and for the past few weeks has been not bf well before he goes down for the night.  I used to have to unlatch him because he would suck for so long and now I am lucky if he gets a few min. per side.  Tonight he only latched for 30 seconds on each side and cried and cried.  Sometimes when I switch sides he calms down and ends up falling asleep eating or eats long enough that he is calm and drowsy and am easily able to put him down in his crib.  Tonight because he hardly ate, I warmed up part of a bottle and he ended up sucking it down.   I am guessing it is a supply issue.  Maybe he's frustrated there is not enough milk. Also, he can get fussy feeding if he is really tired but it usually just takes a lot of snuggling and he'll eventually eat. Tonight I tried to no avail.  I figured the night feeding would be the last to go once he weans but maybe that will just not be the case.  Maybe I should cut out the 4-5pm feeding so that I have more before bedtime?  Who knows...any help is appreciated!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: Bedtime feeding

it sounds like it may be a supply issue. depending on bedtime, I may cut the 4-5 feeding. If bedtime is only 7 or 8, and he is eating more at each feeding, it could definitely be your supply. I think- I wish I took better notes- it was around this age that i realized I didn't have as much control over supply as I did in the beginning. I am assuming he is on a full array of baby foods? see if you can increase his protein intake at dinner instead, it helps them feel more full. (DS was also taking a sippy with water around this age, so he got that and not BM at dinner).

I also feel like there were some spikes in how DS was eating around this age- they get so much more mobile and work on pulling up. I am sure they are burning more off more calories.  so he may just need more than he used to.

many of us kept the nighttime feeding (and early morning) until we stopped- but if you aren't feeding/pumping all day, I think that supply in the evening is better.  I sent DS with BM for 2 bottles to daycare and kept up my morning and evening feeds from 10-12 months.  However, I was going through my frozen stash at this point, as my supply diminished as I started menstruating again (and he was taking 8 ounce bottles)

good luck-I know that feeling is really rough, but it seems like you are doing everything right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

But if he's hungry at 4-5, too, and you skip that feeding he won't have enough.  What about supplementing with formula?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

sorry I wasn't clear- if he is doing solids (baby food, cereal, cheese, etc.) then I would feed him more food (at 4-5) and less breast milk at dinner.  When you first start with solids, you typically nurse first, but by 10 months, i think that you can be emphasizing the meal part and just provide something to drink with it or to top off. 

you could supplement with formula as well- and our pedi had us start whole milk a few weeks earlier than 12 months, rather than transitioning to formula for 3 weeks and then milk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We started doing a more structured dinner around that age (I think) with water, as winter said.  It would usually involve yogurt, which was her main protein at that age.
    But I did have a similar experience, where she would want to nurse right when I got home (around 5 or 6) and then again at bedtime, and there wouldn't be enough at bedtime.  In my case, it had a lot to do with me getting home from work, though.  Not sure if you have a similar situation.
    How do you feel (physically)?  Does it feel like he's trying but there's just nothing coming out?  Or could there be something else bothering him (like an ear infection) that's causing him to unlatch and cry?  (We had that happen, too, a few months ago - I thought it was self-weaning but it was just her ears.)
    For me, I ended up moving my second pumping at work earlier in the afternoon so there would be more left if she wanted to nurse after work.  And I would also try distraction techniques when I got home, like playing something really fun, to ease her away from eating at that time and save it for bedtime.  Best of luck whatever you decide to do!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Not sure I have great advice, but I have some thoughts and experiences that will hopefully help :o)

I would not cut out a feeding.  Once your body learns that you don't need the milk at 4-5 pm, you'll have less for the later feeding and be in the same situation.

I would say around that same time DD stopped BFing as much right before bed.  She went through a stage where she'd do like 2 mins on each side, but now is back to typical 4-5 mins on each side.  The only thing is, she wasn't fussy at that time, she just didn't seem as hungry and I'd put her down as usual.  I wonder if there is something bothering him unrelated to supply - like teething, a cold, ear ache.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I woke up this morning and was leaking! Just that few minutes of him not eating before bed added to what I normally have in the morning.   When I get home from work I think it's more like a comfort thing, ,like mom's home, must bf! He will have just ate a few hours before so he doesn't really need it.  I think it's more of a comfort thing. Actally, he doesn't nurse for long at that session. I am thinking I'll let him bf right when I get home,  sometimes I let it go for a while and then it's probably too close to the bedtime feeding. 
      I wonder too if teething or something else is the culprit here too.  Maybe I should also try to put him down a little earlier before he is too tired and upset.   He eats solids very close to his bedtime so it's not like he's starving or anything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: Bedtime feeding:
    [QUOTE]When I get home from work I think it's more like a comfort thing, ,like mom's home, must bf!
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]
    This was the exact case for us.  It sort of eased off gradually, with the combo of increased solid foods plus reduced daytime nursing as she got close to a year.
    If you do feel like there's milk but he still can't get going, definitely consider other factors like teething or ears.