BF question (and apology for disappearing)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

BF question (and apology for disappearing)

Hello everyone- it has been quite a while... I think that I posted once or twice after DS was born- but I brought home a lot of work on leave (I know that you aren't supposed to) and tried to limit my computer time to complete work stuff in order to spend time with my son. Now I am back at work... (my how three months fly!!) and have regular access to the computer so I have started lurking again.  I missed everyone!!

little update on DS- I was induced because he was getting big and my blood pressure was intermittently high- he is now weighing in above 17 pounds (yes at 3 months), so I have been very interested in the car seat postings... his feet hang off the end of the bucket seat, so that may be what DH and I get for christmas...  we are all doing great (aside from the new separation with day care which I haven't gotten over yet.)

my question: breastfeeding has been fabulous- no problems with latching or anything (obviously with his size), no supplementing (except vitamin D), he has done fine with bottles of pumped milk... he has had a lot of gas, which started at around 8 weeks and really bad for a few weeks but the drops helped and he now seems to be growing out of it. However... starting like 2 weeks ago, he won't eat on my right side unless he is half asleep (early AM or late night feedings) or I hold him in a football hold (which is horribly uncomfortable for me given his weight and limits where I can feed him - i find the hooter-hider hard to maneuver in that position). He starts screaming like I am trying to kill him. It seems like laying on his right side is uncomfortable or something? Pediatrician looked at me like I had three heads... anyone else had this experience? I have wound up just pumping more from that side, but it limits how long we can be out of the house and I was hoping to breastfeed exclusively over the weekends in order to keep my milk supplies up. any ideas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Re: BF question (and apology for disappearing)

Has he been checked for an ear infection?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Yes, ear infection would be my first thought too. You may also want to read this:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Welcome back!  Can't believe it has been 3 months!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

well we just did the 4 month visit and the doctor looked in his ears- is there anything else they would do to check?  he doesn't indicate pain in any way, and is willing to nurse on those sides when more tired (we start there every morning because he is willing).

website made me feel a lot less crazy- thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I doubt this is the case because you said this is a new development, but sometimes babies will have a preference if you have one inverted n*pple.  My mom told me that this happened with her when I nursed as a baby.  She ended up lop-sided because I didn't like the breast with the inverted n*pple!

Have you tried a breastshield?  I saw lots of women using them at the BF support group I went to after DD was born.  You might try seeing a LC for help - that is, if you have time now that you're back at work! 

GL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Well, my daughter definitely developed a preference for Lefty, which is why I had that website on hand. She would really resist Righty. I don't know if it was cause or effect, but I ended up producing twice as much or more from Lefty as a result. Which meant that I had one huge buub and one relatively normal one for 18 months. So I would follow the tips on that site to encourage production on the spurned side, because you don't want to end up walking in circles until you wean. I found that always starting on the un-favorite side helped, as did night nursing on that side. Get the baby when her defenses are down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My first thought was ear infection.  But if that's been checked out, maybe he's teething early? 
    He probably just picked up a preference.  My daughter did too.  It really affected my production.  I had the most lopsided breasts for months it was ridiculous! 
    I agree with lemonmelon that starting on the less preferred side usually helps. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I agree that starting our baby on the non-preferred side helps.

However, I would also see if you can figure out if it's the position that's bothering him or the actual nursing.  Maybe put him in a similar position to the one he doesn't like?  Try it some time when he's not hungry and see if he acts uncomfortable.  I have no clue, I was just thinking it might help indicate whether it was a preference for nursing one side, or some unrelated physical discomfort that he's having.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

well- i tried many of these strategies... I think in general it was better (because I distinctly remember saying- honey he's doing it on the right side!!! during the day), but there are still times that he resists and I wind up pumping and he takes the bottle fine.  It just seems odd to me that it is only occasionally (but very vehemently)

lemon- you are hysterical. walking in circles was great.

thanks everyone

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

If it's any consolation, 4 months after weaning, they're the same size and shape again. I was afraid I'd have to start buying two bra sizes and sewing them together. So even if he never learns to love Righty, it will all work out in the end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Hi winter,
    I wonder if it has anything to do w/ a preference for tilting hid head/neck one way or the other.  I forget the term, but there is a condition where some babies start preferring one over the other and the muscles in the neck of the side they dont turn toward get weak. It can then be somewhat painful to use that side.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'm wondering if a tooth could be coming in on one side and giving him pain when he leans on it? Maybe this will go away in another week?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

ml- you may be right- he is only 3.5 months, but the drool has been intense lately. I will check that tonight.

however, another update- he now only refuses it maybe once a day, so we seem to be growing out of it. i have tried to be more conscious of how (the angle) I am holding his head, so maybe that is it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

i need a new icon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

My 4 month old DD prefers the left side too and will refuse the right at times.  If we're in public I just give in but if we're at home, I offer the right side...she fusses...I take her off and burp her...offer the right side...she fusses...I take her off and burp her...offer the right side...she complains but stays latched on.  I've read that the left side is the prefered side but I don't know why.