Bumpers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

Bumpers

Hi All,

I am a lurker making my first post. I have learned a lot from all of you during my pregnancy and the last few months, so thank you.

I have a 5 month old at home who just in the past week or two has learned how to roll. I am now finding him all over his crib in all sorts of different positions. Just this morning I heard him squealing around 5am and went in to find him on his tummy with both legs hanging out stuck between his crib rails. He is not a good sleeper to begin with (still up 2 or 3 times a night) so I'd love to not have to go in more often to free him from the rails. Is it ok to put the bumper on? We have one but never used it as I was terrified about SIDS. I'm really not as concerned about SIDS anymore but still not sure if a bumper is still a no-no. Also, I have heard mixed reviews about the breathable bumpers and that babies can still get their limbs stuck and bump their heads. I had a dream the other night that he bumped his head and got a black eye! Thoughts??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Bumpers

We never used bumpers with our twins.  If they got hands and or feet out the rails we just untangled them and put them back in the center of the mattress.  My pedi is a big "naked crib" guy so that's what we followed. But I'd say that many parents have a lot of success with bumpers - but they need to come out again once baby can stand up - they use them to get a little higher and climb out. :)
    SIDS is actually a risk until age 2 - although the risk does diminish with each passing month. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

The bumpers have been in my son's crib since he went in there at 2 months and there still on and he's 17 months now. We've never had any problems with them. My son tends to move around a lot and I didn't want him hitting his head against the bars or the back of the crib.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We've had bumpers in for a while (DD is 7.5 months).  It's a personal decision - go with what makes you most comfortable.  Although I have to say it's a pain in the behind to change the crib sheet when you have bumpers!

ETA: I will say - I thought crib rails were supposed to be close enough together so arms/legs couldn't fit through...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I wouldn't worry about the bumped head... the other day when I was putting my 10 month old in, she lurched to one side and bonked her head on the way down.  She didn't seem to care, so I bonked my head on the side to test it and it didn't hurt at all!  I think you'd have to hit with a lot more force than just rolling or squirming for it to hurt.
    The getting limbs stuck is more annoying.  We use sleep sacks (not swaddles, but the armless kind) and she can move her legs freely, but it makes it harder to really stick them far out between the bars.
    I know lots of people use bumpers and have no problem, but I had to decide which side of the issue I would worry less about, and came down on the side of no bumpers.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMcW. Show JMcW's posts

The Breathable Bumper is wonderful. I was terrified of SIDS as well but my DS (26 months) was a mover and always would end up with his feet out. It didn't really protect his head from bumps but kept his feet and hands in. b/g twins on the way and will be using it in their crib too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Bumpers:
    [QUOTE]W I thought crib rails were supposed to be close enough together so arms/legs couldn't fit through...
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    no, they are supposed to be slightly less wide than a can. I remember that because I made an A+ joke about it and I'm going to reuse it some day when the time is right.

I would say not to bother with bumpers. You're supposed to take them out when the baby starts cruising anyway because they can climb on the, so it just seems like one more thing to store after using it for two weeks and wondering why you bought it in the first place.

I kept putting bumpers in and then taking them out again because I was afraid of sids, and now I can't remember why I thought I needed them in the first place. The crib instructions said not to use them. The ped said not to use them. The baby books said they should be banned. And yes, my daughter's arms and legs were always hanging out of the crib, but it really didn't seem to bother her, and there was such a short amount of time between when she was mobile enough to dangle them through and when she became dexterous enough to pull them back in -- surely no more than a few weeks. I just think they're kind of pointless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Also -- I would say just as a rule of thumb to buy as little baby gear as you can, and spend as little as possible on the stuff you do buy, because you use it all for such a short amount of time, and then you have to store it forever, and you look at it ruefully all stacked up and bagged in the attic and wish you had that money for all the toddler stuff instead, because that stuff is actually fun and they use it for years.

* I did not follow this advice, by the way. I bought EVERY item that promised sleep, peace of mind, more effective positioning, better grooming, etc. And now it's all binned up in my attic and I am rueing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My twins still sleep in sleepsacks at 23 months.  Those helped keep the feet in the rails.  And as lemon said - they figure out how to get their arms back in pretty quickly by themselves.
    The rails have to be narrow enough to keep the head in - not the arms and legs.  The rule of thumb is that if a soda can is able to be passed through the rails, they are too far apart.
    The one thing to buy new is a crib - don't go borrowing any drop side cribs or any older cribs.  They aren't up to the new standards. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Bumpers:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bumpers : no, they are supposed to be slightly less wide than a can. I remember that because I made an A+ joke about it and I'm going to reuse it some day when the time is right.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok.  I am obviously not well versed in my baby 411.  And now I want to hear the joke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

We have bumpers, it was a fashion choice more than anything. And when she was small, she slept in our bed mainly (still does quite a bit).

DD is now 9 months and standing, so actually the bumpers are around the top of the crib to prevent her bumping her head when she's trying to sit down again and to keep her from chewing on the edges of the crib (it's new, but it's from Walmart so I'm sure it's full of chemicals).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

Thanks All!

He was up again a few times last night shrieking with his poor little legs hanging out. I ended up ordering a breathable bumper from Amazon so we'll see how that works out. It seems like using a bumper comes down to how comfortable you are with it. My husband does not want to put the regular bumper back on, although I think he's trying to teach me a lesson about needless purchases more than anything! It was so cute I had to have it but realize now it wasn't necessary. Will not be buying another if/when we have a 2nd.

On another note - is 5 (almost 5.5) months too soon to allow sleeping with a lovey? He has one of those square, blankie type ones with a head. We give it to him in his swing and when we go out and he's in his carseat. Wondering if it will help comfort him at night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Crackers - We started a lovey around that time.  It's small enough that it couldn't possibly wrap around her neck or her body, and it's light, slippery satin material so if it ends up on her face it won't be heavy on her, and will slip off.  I don't see an issue with her having it, but again - personal decision based on comfort level as well as reason.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I used bumpers, always did, never was a problem.  I think I took them out when she was two.  My sister used the breathable ones and loved those to so I just think it is your preference.  I am looking at bedding now for DS who is on the way and will buy bumbers again most likely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DD is 15 weeks and we took her bumpers off about a week ago.  She has started moving all over the crib at night (even though she's swaddled) and I planned on taking them off once she started moving around or rolling over.  They were on purely for aesthetic reasons.

DH was funny.  He said, When do we put these back on - when she's a year old?  I said no and he said, So basically you paid $300 for something we used for like a week?  a) We used them for 14 weeks and b) Who does he think he's married to?!  I did not spend $300!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I flip flop on this constantly, but when we did put DD in her crib at 8 weeks I took them off. I hadn't thought about her legs/arms eventually hanging out...she's a chunky monkey in the making so I may consider buying the breathable ones or just putting the originals back on. 

Lesson learned that crib bedding sets are completely useless. The only thing you can actually use is the bedskirt and you can't even see the dang thing. 

I think my SIL used bumpers with all 4 of her kids, and they're all doing OK.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I used bumpers on my son's crib.  That was some time ago, so I'm sure it wasn't as big of an issue as it is now.  He'll be 11 in the next few months.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RebeccaB. Show RebeccaB's posts

I had bumpers in my daughter's bed until she was 6 mos old and she snuggled up in the bumper and STOPPED BREATHING.

Thank God I had still had a SIDS monitor on the bed and it went off since there was no movement.  I was able to do rescue breathing quickly and she was fine.

I highly recommend removing the bumpers once your child can move.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

I was firmly in the nothing at all in the crib except a fitted sheet camp. My mindset was that I wanted to know that any possibility of SIDS, suffocation or injury was minimized, but many people seem to use bumpers and loveys w/o a problem. I am on the neurotic side and was even nervous to use a swaddling blanket when he was a newborn, fearing that it would come loose and suffocate him.

You may find that your baby will stop getting his limbs stuck in the rails in another week or even just a few days. My son had that issue when he first learned to roll. It only lasted a week or two and then he seemed to figure things out for himself. He did insist upon sleeping on his tummy, though, which caused me quite a few sleepless nights (staring at the baby monitor and sneaking into his room).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I think anyone reading RebeccaB's post wouldn't think twice about tossing the bumpers in the trash.  Just because "so and so used them without a problem" doesn't make them safe.  Do you really want to go through what RebeccaB did?  It must have been terrifying.
    RebeccaB - thank heavens your LO is safe.
    To everyone else - naked crib is best. Why take a chance?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Coincidentally, I saw a thread on this on the Somerville Moms Yahoo group today and one person mentioned they are considering *banning* the sale of crib bumpers in Illinois.
    I googled it and found out that they are considering it in both Illinois and Maryland.  Link to news article below.
    I like to be all "hey, everybody does things their own way; whatever works!"  ... but I think the decision for no regular bumpers is pretty clear cut.  The risk is small, but it seems to exist.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-parenting/post/could-selling-crib-bumpers-be-banned-in-maryland/2011/05/24/AFtaRrAH_blog.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Things like this always make me wonder why they even make them anymore!!  Like why do they still sell cigarettes?? (Obviously because they make a katrillion dollars, but you know what I mean.)