cloth diapering

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

cloth diapering

Looking to see if anyone is using, or plans to use cloth diapers. 
    We are planning on it and I thought this would be a good place to share ideas, etc.  It can be very overwhelming!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: cloth diapering

This will be minimally helpful, I know, but my best friend is using cloth diapers, and she said it's not a big deal at all for her.  She loves the idea of not putting the chemicals on her baby (they feed all organic, have organic sheets, etc.), and insists that not only do they work to contain the messes, but they are easy to deal with (she doesn't utilize a service; she washes them in the washer).  Her baby doesn't have any problems with them, either.  However, she is a SAHM so maybe "easy" is in the eye of the beholder.  (She uses the old fashioned cloth with the covers, not gDiapers.)

Her baby is a year old and they've used them all along.  She is thrilled with the decision and cites no drawbacks.  I asked specifically all about it, and we're very close.  She knows I'm TTC and learning a lot from her (just in case!) so she'd have told me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Everyone I know who uses cloth diapers swears by the Diaper Lab in Somerville. They offer workshops, let you see and test different brands, etc.

http://www.diaperlab.com/index.php

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Yes, Diaper Lab is the best!! Totally worth the investment IMO. 

Diaper Lab can be pricey, but I'd recommend starting there for their cloth diapering class/seminar and to be able to touch and feel the different diapers. Then, as you get more used to cloth diapering, check online websites like CottonBabies.com or diaperswappers.com, you can also get 30% for your first few months with diapers.com (I think).

Oh, and cloth ususally works best with babies over 8 lbs. I'd recommend using disposables until your baby hits that weight rather than buying the newborn cloth diapers. They aren't worth the cost.

I find them just as easy as disposables (you toss your dirty diapers into a bucket of water instead of the trash, do a load of laundry a couple times a week) and WAY CUTER!

We use Bum Genius One Size, but I also like the Flip diaper made by Bum Genius ALOT and FuzziBuns. We use lanolin as our diaper cream (doesn't stain dipes and isn't petroleum based)and knock on wood we have not had a diaper rash in 6 months. We let DD have a little 3-4 minute "air bath" after removing a wet diaper, slather on the lanolin, snap on a clean dipe and she's off!

We also have some great micro fiber wipes from diaper lab that I recommend. We keep a spray bottle of water with just a couple drops of baby wash in it and spray it on her for big messes and those go in the bucket and laundry as well. It saves alot of money, we don't run out and have to make frantic trips to CVS and I think her skin feels better than if she had alcohol based wipes on her behind 6 times a day.
    When DD goes to her grandmothers for Nana day care Monday's and Tuesdays she always seems to come home a little red and I attribute it to the cheap disposable wipes and diapers my mom uses. I have no problem with disposables really, we just prefer the cloth for savings and convenience.

ETA - there are alot of places (including Diaper Lab) that will do a trial diapering month for you for around $150. They will send you a variety of diapers to try and you keep what you like and send back what you don't, and if you return everything and hate it, they refund you most of your money so you really can't lose! I know it's confusing and intimidating, you really just have to give it a try. Bum Genius is very much like disposable diapering and is a great place to start.

(sorry, it's one of my favorite baby topics and I don't get to talk about it alot!) I registered at Diaper Lab for my baby shower but no one believed I really wanted cloth diapers so I had to fund the whole thing myself. Buy a few diapers at a time and work your way up to about 24 ($432) and that will totally set up up for the 2+ years of cloth diapering!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

We have cloth diapers and have used them at times, but we also use disposables most of the time.  The reasons why the cloth diapers don't work as well for us all the time are as follows:

1.  I'm working too much these days to get to loads of laundry each day (or even once a week!!!)
    2.  My little guy is pretty big and we have a hard enough time finding pants to fit him.

Other than that, we used Fuzzibuns and have bumgenius.  The sizing on them though is funny because the Fuzzibuns we got were small (up to 14lbs which we went through pretty quickly) and the bumgenius are supposed to be up to 30lbs, but my little guy (not so little) is already at the end of the snaps on them and they're a little tight.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

We'll be cloth diapering. We registered for fuzzibuns one size with the snaps (heard that the velcro ones don't last as long) and we'll use disposable until the little guy is big enough to fit into them. We'll also use the disposables when we're away.  I have to get a wet/dry bag for the wet diapers but don't really know what to do with the dirty ones after we wash them off with the diaper sprayer. I would think they would smell in a wet/dry bag.  Someone said in a pail with water?  How long do you leave them for and is it just water. What brand of pail?  
     Also i registered for the rockin green (or something like that) detergent. What brands do you ladies use?
     I went to diaper lab last weekend and it was a mad house so i didn't even get near a store employee to ask questions, I'd like to do a course but I just don't have time.  Hopefully it will be easy enough...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

AJuly, we just picked up a pail white 5-gallon pail with lid at Lowes and we leave it in the bathroom. We fill it up half way with water, and throw in some oxyclean powder if we have any. When it's time to wash them (twice a week), I dump the dirty water into the toilet and carry the pail down to the washing machine. We run the laundry load in hot, cold rinse with a 30 minute auto soak. Now that the weather is better we will probably hang them out to dry - but we live in the boonies. I spray any ugly spots with some non-toxic, childsafe/green spray if I think of it.

I remember stressing about figuring out cloth diapers, it seeming hard to figure out what to use and worrying about how to clean them and it's all really been easy and not complicated. Short answer, they are diapers as long as they keep po0p off your couch, they do their job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I did cloth diapering from when DD was born to about 1 year, using cotton prefolds ( the "old fashioned" kind) and diaper covers. I stopped when she needed the next size up in diaper covers, and I wasn't willing to make the investment when she spent most of the day at daycare in disposables. No need for pins with diaper covers, and once you get the hang of it (really after a few days) there were very few leaks/blowouts (I'd say similar to disposables, since I did disposables for travel/daycare.)

I had about 30 diapers and 8 diaper covers. I used a dry pail system - I had a plastic pail with a tight fitting lid (had clamps to keep it closed) and a nylon bag to line it (Amazon sells fancy ones, but I got 2 Stuff Sacks in the camping department at WalMart for less than one cute one on Amazon.) I would put pee diapers right in, and I had a diaper sprayer on the toilet that I would use on poopy diapers, then put them into the pail. I had a big container of baking soda by the pail, and I'd shake a little in on the diapers about once a day. It served 2 purposes - odor control and helps with cleaning.

Diaper covers only need to be switched out if they are soiled, so one cover ususally lasted from poopy to poopy, since DD was never a really huge wetter.

I washed the diapers about twice a week, more in the begining when she went through them like crazy, in a front loading washing machine, running one cycle on hot with ALL free and clear then a second cycle with just water, no soap. I then dried them in the dryer - NO DRYER SHEETS!!! The dryer sheets put a coating on the diapers that make them less absorbent (it is what gets rid of static and keeps your laundry smelling "fresh"). I never really had a problem with smelly pail, since I washed the diapers so frequently

There is also a diaper service that serves parts of the Boston area- I couldn't use it since they didn't cover my neighborhood, but you should look into it if you want to use prefolds.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

So glad to see that there are a lot of families on here using cloth diapers!  
    I have been to the workshop at Diaper Lab and have been there many times after.  I find the whole thing to be very overwhelming...way too many choices!  I finally went during a quiet Tuesday and had someone just help me pick out all the essentials for the first 3 months.  The class was really helpful and I went home with a packet of what to do/how to wash/etc.  They are also great if you call  of facebook with questions.   
    We are going the prefold route for now and I feel pretty comfortable that it will go well since I'll be at home the first 6 months.  When DS is older and I go back to work, I think we will buy more AIOs because he'll have different care takers.  I've already started purchasing some when I see a great sale (50% off) 

Right now I have thirstie covers...just 3 in the smallest size and then I think 6 or so in the next size up.   We also go the Bummis Bamboozle Fitted Diaper  for overnight. Does anyone else use those overnight??  We are planning to do a dry pail system, just throwing them in the bag in a trash can and then putting everything into the wash every other day. 
    ajuly - I did buy the Rockin Green and I LOVE it already!!  We had some stinky towels that could not be helped by anything...I washed them in rockin green and they are beautiful again! 

ml - I registered there too and no one bought anything from there.  I was pretty bummed.  the cost wasn't too bad though considering I bought everything...diapers, fitteds, bags, detergent, snappis.  And when I see how many diapers my friends with a newborn have gone through already, I am SO glad we decided on cloth!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I did not cloth diaper, but a friend who did sent me this informative email when I was pregnant. (this informative email actually scared me off cloth diapering -- it sounded like a lot of work)

Covers: Bummis Super Whisper Wrap

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/covers.htm#Bummisw

Flat prefold diapers

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm#flat

For nighttime I use two flat prefolds (one a smaller size) and a fleece liner/doubler with the regular cover. If the liner or doubler is really thick or the baby isn't a heavy nighttime wetter you could just use one flat diaper with the doubler.

Fleece doublers

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/doublers.htm

I haven't used Cotton Babies, but this is the diaper pail we use:

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=338

We line the pail with one of these bags (extra large):

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=270 

We have two bags so we can wash one along with the diapers. We use the small bag to tote dirty diapers, wet clothes, etc.

I don't soak the diapers, just throw them in the pail. It doesn't stink at all. (Before the baby's eating solids, you don't need to do anything special, just wash it all off because the p**p is so loose. After you can just dump the p**p into the toilet first.)

I wash the diapers twice a week like this: one cycle in cold water with a little bit of Target baby laundry soap, one cycle in hot water with a regular amount of Target baby laundry soap, and then a second rinse cycle. I dry them on hot or hang them to dry.

I had to buy new diapers for DD, but I think that if I had line dried them, they would have lasted longer.

I wash the covers separately with Target baby laundry soap on delicate in warm water and air dry them. You don't have to wash them every time -- just air dry them -- wash them when they get stinky or soiled.

For wipes we use small squares of towels we cut up with a spray bottle full of something Darrell mixes up (has dr. Bronner's soap, water, a little tea tree oil, a little aloe juice, something else ... I can get the recipe if you want it.) They go in the diaper pail with the diapers.

When we're out for a long time or traveling, I use whole foods brand disposables with their wipes. Amazon has a subscription service with really good prices on 7-Gen disposables but they are made with wood pulp and I found that they gave DD a rash. Other people I know use them with no problem.

Some babies don't like to lie down for diaper changes when they get bigger -- I bought some Kissaluvs fitted snap diapers at that point with pull-on nylon pants so I didn't have to struggle so much. They are expensive but I bought seconds from the manufacturer.

Too much information? If you need more, there is a great website called diaperpin.com where people submit reviews for all different brands.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

I do both - cloth diaper and disposables. I prefer cloth, my husband prefers sposies. We use sposies when we travel. When I first started I used Thirsties with Indian Prefolds but my son hated them. Once they got wet he would cry and cry! So I switched to Fuzzibunz OS and magic happened - he loved them. I haven't had any problems with them and the snaps are awesome - esp now that my baby rolls around when I'm trying to change his diaper.
    I don't use a wet pail either. I just have a regular laundry bag that I bought at Walmart and wash the diapers along with my baby's clothes every 3-4 days. No smell issues. When he poops in the diaper I rinse the stool off and then put in the bag. Pee diapers I just put in the bag directly.
    We still use regular disposable wipes. Some cloth mamas use cloth wipes.
    I change my baby's diaper often (cloth and sposies). He had a diaper rash around wk 2 and 3. Then never again. Woo-hoo!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We are also in the no water in pail camp.  We have a regular plastic trash can with a loose fitting lid, and we use a washable bag in that.  Occasionally when all the p**p was just from breastmilk, you could smell if it was due for a wash.  Now that the p**p is solid, we roll it into the toilet before putting the diaper in the pail and it is fantastic.
    For detergent, we use Country Save.

We have been using the prefolds (aka old school) as well as some fitted diapers with covers.  We are now moving up in size and I bought a couple of FuzziBunz pocket diapers.  SO comfy seeming and very easy to use.  But then I blanched a little when I thought of the $$$ to buy enough to use all the time.  However, I ran the numbers and even being very conservative it came out on the side of the FuzziBunz.  So I was all set to go forward with them.
    But then I had our baby out in the car seat for awhile in one and it leaked in the front.  I don't think it was over capacity; I think it wicked from the interior part onto her pants with the pressure from the carseat belts.  So I would be interested to hear if anyone has other recommendations for pocket or AIO diapers.  Otherwise, I am still going to go with the FuzziBunz and just use the old school ones when we're going to be in the car for a long time.

Also, I am a *HUGE* fan of cloth wipes.  I looked idly at the ingredients on the "natural" disposable wet wipes and it's pretty crazy.  I wouldn't use something like that on my own, ahem, area.  So we use cloth wipes with a container of water.  And use the disposable wet wipes when we're out of the house.  I'm not a fanatic.  ;)

Okay, so, I have gotten a *lot* of great info and help from Diaper Lab.  But we got a piece of bad advice, too: one woman recommended that we dry our covers on high heat the first time to close up the stitching holes -- this was a big mistake.  It damaged the lining.  With the new batch of larger diapers we just started, I did not do this and it is much better.  So don't follow that advice!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

We did cloth diapers exclusively for the first 5 months.  We did the old fashioned trifolds with the pins and vinyl covers.  Then when DD went to daycare and I went back to work we had a transition period where she would be in disposables at daycare and still do cloth while at home.  That lasted a month or so.  Then for a month or so we had cloth overnight and disposables during the day.  Once she was 9 months she was eating so much solid food that her p*p was decidedly grosser and when it was time to buy a size up for the vinyl covers we just didn't and switched to disposables. 
    We saved sooooo much money!  With solely breastfeeding at the beginning, a newborn p*ps like every 2-3 hours.  The disposables seemed to contain the breastmilk p**p better than disposables, with fewer blowouts.  We didn't have any trouble with diaper rash until she was in disposables.  We had a bucket we threw the diapers in and I did a load of laundry every other day.  We saved a lot of money.  It was easy to do the math because we had 48 cloth diapers.  She went through a LOT of diapers in the beginning.  Later, of course, when she was bigger she p**ped less.
    We saved a LOT of money, something like $600 in the first 6 months.  If you factor in utilities it was probably closer to $525, but still.  We also did our own wipes for a while, just wetting paper towels.  Because we started with cloth diapers and did only cloth diapers it didn't feel inconvenient at all.  Before she started solid food I didn't even pre-rinse them, I just threw them in the bucket and then did a load when it was time.  We used detergent without and perfumes or dyes and I would throw a cup or so of baking soda in and do them on hot with autosoak.  I tried line-drying them in the summer to save on energy but they weren't as soft when they were line-dried so I went back to the machine dry. 
    I highly recommend it.  I would say that as soon as she started on solid food her p**ps got a lot more exciting so I had to prerinse. 

You won't save as much money if you do a diaper service or do fancy diapers.  I have a friend who did the fancy velcro inserts and she ended up supplementing with the old-fashioned tri-folds because they were easier to clean especially after super-duper blowouts. 

I think when we have another kid I'll do the same thing.  It worked really well. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

I have used cloth diapers on both of my kids, and I LOVE them! It makes me so happy to hear from a bunch of other families who are also using or planning to use cloth. I started with BumGenius 3.0s a few years ago on my DS, and I still use those on my DD now, but I also use just about every other style under the sun now too. I find there is a right time for just about every diaper.

Somebody asked about the Bummis Stretch Bamboozle - it is a fantastic overnight diaper, especially if you pair it with a wool cover. I always used pocket diapers overnight and was hesitant to switch to the bamboozle b/c I thought you *needed* the stay-dry fleece against baby's skin overnight, but with a wool cover her skin was totally dry in the morning. Such a great surprise. Sustainablebabyish|Sloomb in Framingham makes some of the best wool covers you'll ever find, and the owner Erin will show you how it works and how to care for it. They are pricey but worth it. The Bamboozle will work fine overnight with a regular waterproof cover too, but if you go that route I definitely suggest using a fleece liner to keep the baby's skin drier overnight.

For newborn diapering I always recommend buying the smallest size prefolds and covers (I like Bummis superbrites for newborns b/c you can wipe them clean if a spot of dirty business gets on the cover) and a few Snappis. For a lot of babies you only need the tiny sizes for such a little while - I just don't think it's worth buying fancier styles.  If you care for them well, the covers will have some resale value, and the tiny prefolds can become your cloth wipes when your baby is ready for a bigger size diaper.

For bigger babies, I always recommend building your stash just 2 or 3 diapers at a time so you can try out different styles - fitted, AIOs, etc. - and decide what you like best. Every baby is different, so you really have to see what works for you.

Also, I never use a pail (wet or dry) - just a large wetbag that goes right in the wash. I am at best a lazy dirty diaper sprayer, and I have never ever had a stink coming from the bag.

Good luck!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

well, i'm happy to report that we are now 18 days with cloth diapers and things are going great! 
    we are using prefolds and covers during the day and www.diaperlab.com/shop/bummis-bamboozle-fitted-diaper-size-1.html" title="Bummis Bamboozle Fitted Diaper - Size 1">Bummis Bamboozle Fitted Diaper  with a cover overnight. 
    the only trouble is that sometimes we get a side p00p explosion b/c i can't get the prefold around ds's leg tightly enough. any advice there?  i tried two ways to fold the diaper, but both have seen blowouts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Bostonslp- newborn p00p os very hard to contain, so you will get a mess inside the cover, even with the best prefold fit. Are you getting blowouts outside of the cover? that happened very rarely for us, but it can happen from time to time. It also can happen when your LO starts to outgrow a size, but at 18 days that is probably not the case. My DD was really skinny, so getting a tight fit around her legs seemed difficult. One way of getting a good fit for us was the bikini twist. - See the link below for pictures of 3 ways to fold prefolds. (We found that if you have Snappis they help get a tighter fit, but you don't really need them if you have a good diaper cover.)
    http://www.diaperjungle.com/folding-diapers.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

Hi bostonslp - What kind of covers are you using? I don't think the prefold itself will ever hold in all the p00p around the legs - although google "fan fold" if you haven't already tried it, it's supposed to be great for tiny baby p00.

You may already be using these, but often covers with leg gussets (kind of a stretchy seam within the seam) will hold stuff in better. Two covers that I can think of with gussets are the Bummis SuperLite (my favorite) and Thirsties wraps.

Good luck! Glad you are mostly having success!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

thanks for the info ladies!  good to know that they may be unavoidable at this point...I just thought I was doing something wrong. 

amy-lynn - DS is really skinny too so I think that's part of the problem  we do use the snappis (love those!) .  That link is very helpful - thanks.  I don't know what I would do without the internet/youtube b/c I find that watching it is more helpful than having someone describe it.  I guess I'm just a visual learner. 

marriedmom - We are using the ones with gussets and the p00p has not yet gotten past that.  I think we use the thirsties, but I can't remember right now. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

what do you all use for diaper cream?  So far I haven't needed it, but DS seems to have a very small diaper rash (although not sure if that's what it is).  I was putting lanolin on it b/c I am pretty sure that is safe to use with cloth.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

We use lanolin mostly, butt paste is great, but leaves stains...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We use Aquaphor for diaper cream.  Works well, and can use the same stuff for the rest of her.

We also had the newborn p00p on the covers all the time.
    As she got a little older, but still all b-milk, it would sometimes escape even the gusseted covers, so we would often use a fitted diaper if we were going out.  These (with leg elastics) always held even the most dramatic "events".
    On the other hand, in disposable diapers it went right up her back, so I guess sometimes there's no containing a baby!  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

Since there are so many moms interested in CDs here, just wanted to throw out that the Great Cloth Diaper Change is taking place this Saturday. There are a bunch of Boston-area locations where you can participate. (The event is an attempt to set a world record for the most babies changed into cloth at once, and a lot of locations are doing cloth swaps/giveaways/etc.)

North Shore: Merrimack Valley Diapers
    City: Diaper Lab (Somerville) and Hatched (JP)
    MetroWest: Sloomb (Framingham)
    South Shore: Cutie Booties/Mamas Move (Norwell)

You can find more info at greatclothdiaperchange.com.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Hello, I was going to start a new post and then remembered I had read something about Cloth diapers here a while go so I thought I'd bump this thread up instead.

We are going to the Diaper Lab tomorrow morning to buy cloth diapers.  I am due in early September and I want to have time to wash everything and get it ready.   

I was hoping for some advice:  What does everyone recommend to start?  Should we start with the prefolds?  Buy the newborn size or don't?  I think the consensus here was to only buy for the first 3 months and then assess the situation.  I was thinking we’d start with mostly prefolds, but should we also buy some AIOs?  We are going to use disposibles for travel or long trips … not that we plan to take any trips in the 1st 3 months, but I was thinking that would negate the need for all in ones?  How many prefolds and covers do we need? above some one said 24 prefolds and 8 covers i think? ... should we get something different for night time? 

Also, is it worth buying the super green  detergent for prewashing or should I just buy baby laundry detergent like dreft?

I am sure they will help us at the Diaper lab, but they also have an interest in us buying more stuff so I wanted to get the real scoop from you ladies before we go.  Thanks in advance for your help!!  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fun!  You are correct, they will definitely help you at the Diaper Lab.

Easiest question first: definitely do NOT use Dreft.  Dreft is full of fragrances and whatnot.  Honestly, I wouldn't even use it on baby clothes until you know if you have a baby with sensitive skin.
    I use unscented detergent that is not baby-specific for all the baby's clothes (like All free and clear or whatever).  Even with the free and clear detergent, when the diapers accidentally got washed in it one time, it gave her a terrible diaper rash.  So we use Country Save, but there are other options, too.  They will discuss them at the DL.

We bought newborn size prefolds, with separate covers, and I thought they would be too tiny, but they were actually perfect and we used them for a couple of months.  We bought a few fitted ones that we thought would be easier for middle of the night, but once we became adept at prefolds, it didn't really make a difference.  We used the Snappi fastener with the prefold and practiced a few times on a stuffed animal before she was born.  I could actually do it faster than I could do a disposable diaper!
    Now that she is older, I prefer pocket diapers (FuzziBunz) because they seem to give her better mobility than a diaper with a separate cover, but when she was newborn it didn't matter.  And the advice you mention to just buy for the first stage is right on.

One or two other notes -- our daughter was on the small side, and even the newborn size prefolds came up over her belly button when she was first born.  So we used disposables until her umbilical cord fell off.  I wanted it to get as much air as possible.

Also, the people at Diaper Lab are great, but keep in mind that different things work for different people.  Most of the differences are just opinion, but the one piece of really bad advice was to dry all my covers and wet bags on high heat the first time around (they said it would close up stitching holes).  I don't know if my dryer is just hotter, but it melted little spots of the plastic lining.  Still usable, but the bags definitely leak now.  :(

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SweetCheeksME. Show SweetCheeksME's posts

Great questions Krystabel and MedfordCC did a really good job answering them.

The folks at Diaper Lab are very knowledgeable and great to deal with and they can walk you through the pros/cons of each style.

I switched to cloth about 6 months ago and haven't regretted it a bit. My son's bum is much happier (he was constantly having reactions to disposables) and once I got the routine down with washing it really isn't that difficult.

Some things I found:
    • Figure to go through 6-8 diapers/liners per day - calculate how many you need by how many times you do laundry. 24 diapers would be about a 3-4 day supply.
    • I've had better luck with diaper specific laundry soaps like Rock-n-Green and Charlie's Soap. No perfume or dyes and they keep the liners fresh.
    • Regular laundry detergent will "clog" your liners and adversely affect their absorbency. Try to stay away from them. Dreft is OK but the other's are better. They're not that expensive and work well for all laundry.
    • A good pre-soak in the laundry does wonders. My machine has a Pre-soak setting that lets 'em sit for about 20 minutes in hot water then does a rinse. I do this every other load or so.
    • You can bleach the liners -BUT- don't use a lot and don't do it often. Don't bleach your covers.
    • Laying your liners out in the sun (bright direct sun) for a good portion of the day will help lighten & freshen them. It does work, but it has to be an unobstructed area that gets a full blast of sun for a good 6-10 hours. An hour or two in a semi-shaded area isn't going to deliver.
    • Don't dry your covers on high heat. Most have a material called PUL which is a liner material that keeps the outer shell dry. Over time the high heat setting from the dryer will cause it to pull away.
    • I like the bamboo/hemp liners more than the cotton/micro-fiber. I find they're more absorbent (especially handy at night). But, they are typically more expensive and that's just one gals opinion.
    • The debate rages over snaps vs. velcro at my house. My husband likes velcro because it's easy to get on my wiggling 18 month old dressed and off the changing table. He says the snaps are too fussy (especially on a one size or all-in-one) and he always (and I mean ALWAYS) mis-aligns them. I, on the other hand, like the snaps because they don't pick up dryer lint and stand up better over time. Try 'em both just know that if you go velcro you'll have to pick them clean for threads and lint and stuff to keep them grippy.
    • Stay away from diaper creams (Desitin, Triple Paste etc) as they will clog your liners. When liners clog they lose absorbency. Grovia makes a nice ointment (that looks like a deodorant stick of all things) that goes on clear and works well with cloth. 
    • Get yourself a couple of "wet bags" to store your dirties in. They are convenient, water resitant and washable. Most zip close and I end up bringing the whole thing to the wash and tossing it in with the rest. 
    • Get crazy with the colors and patterns. Gosh, the manufacturers are doing a great job with style and selection. There's nothing like a fresh baby bum in a bright colored cloth diaper!
    Good luck. Karen O.