Convertible Carseats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Convertible Carseats

So we are currently in the market for our next carseat.  From other posts Britax is definitely the number one choice.  But the question is which one? Marathon? Roundabout?  What did other people get? Are you happy with your purchase or do you wish you went with a different carseat?  Are there other brands out there that people are happy with?

I feel like this is such a big purchase and they are so expensive. I read the reviews in Baby Bargains (thanks to a close friend!) and currently Albeebaby is having a sale on the 2010 models and they are great prices.  Is it recommended to use the convertible carseat for only 5 years like the infant seats? 

Finally, Lemon - had you known you were buying a previous years model would you still have done it?  (I saw your albeebaby post) 

Thanks everyone!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Convertible Carseats

In Response to Convertible Carseats:
    [QUOTE]Finally, Lemon - had you known you were buying a previous years model would you still have done it?  (I saw your albeebaby post)  Thanks everyone!
    Posted by LiveLoveLearnEnjoy[/QUOTE]
    ha ha, you beat me to it! I was just about to start ranting again.

If I was set on a britax, I would have bought the previous year's model but I would have gotten the Roundabout. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, and it doesn't seem to change in design from year to year, so you can still get extra covers and such. The Boulevard has this stupid extra flap thing that is the bain of my existance. I don't know about the Marathon, but everyone else I know has a Roundabout and loves it. It's not so  hard to change the cover, it's smaller profile, and kids seem to like it okay.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I have the marathon for my DD and I already have one waiting for my other DD to grow into it.  I love this carseat.  Its bigger than the roundabout and if they had an adult size, I would want one!  All I remember now is when I had my daughter I did a lot of research on carseats and the top one that kept coming back was the marathon and I have been very happy with it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

I've been happy with the Roundabout.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Great post.  I also have to get DD out of the infant seat.  Here's my problem though, I have a 2 door car, so I also need to upgrade to a 4 door wagon.  My DH loves buying cars though, so that's not too big a problem.

OK, so I know nothing about the carseats other than "get a britax." What is the difference between the roundabout and the marathon?  Can anyone give us a quick synopsis?  We also need to get 2, one for DH's car and one for mine.  Maybe one of each? Obviously they all must meet the gov't safety standards.

Also, anyone have recaro?  Those are crazy expensive, but DH is a car nut like I said and Recaro is well known amongst car enthusiasts for their excellent seats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I'm so/so on the roundabout.  It worked really well for my DD who was smaller than my DS, but now my DS at 7 months almost seems like he'll be grown out of it by the time he's 18 months old at the latest.  He's huge and he's the size of an 18 month old now, so I don't see it lasting too long with him.  However, it's awesome on a plane as it's pretty low-profile.  I would get a marathon if I were getting another one (which I need to anyway) just for the longevity of the seat.  I have a Frontier for DD who is almost 3 and I love that too, but it's not a convertible seat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Trouble your DH sounds just like mine!  He had an old VW with recaro seats and boy was he sad when he got rid of it!  We have been car shopping as well and I recommend checking out the subaru outback as a wagon.  I totally loved it but it's too small for us (2 kids currently and plan on one more).

This is what baby bargains basically says:  The roundabout weight limit is less (55 lbs. vs. 70lbs.) The marathon uses the hugs system ("harness ultra guard system - pads that cushion the child' neck and chest movement and work to reduce forward head movement in the event of impact") and then there is the price...marathon is more expensive.  Currently the roundabout and marathon are the same size height and width wise also according to baby bargains. 

Baby bargains also recommended staying away from the ones named classic as they are the older styles without the improvements.  We saw classics in target. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

We have two Marathons and have no complaints.  We decided to go with the Marathon because they seemed to take up less real estate than then Roudabout and Advocate.  I too spent a lot of time researching car seats and was torn between the Britax and the Sunshine Kids Radian seat.  The Radian is more narrow and I think would have worked better in my Camry (DH has a Tahoe so no real space restrictions).

Check out Babycheapskate's write up on convertibles.  It's under the "Essential Articles" tab.  I love this blog.

http://www.babycheapskate.com/category/essentials/car-seats/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

I have both the marathon and the Round about.  If  were to do it again I would just go with the Round About.  We got both because the Roundabout is used in my parent's car when they watch DS.  It is easier to use and just like Lemon said - the Marathon has side flaps that are so annoying.  I think the Round About is pretty reasonably priced.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I have to say I don't love the Britax.  With the 3 kids, we have had 7 car seats, two of them infant carriers, one of them is 3 in 1 which has the harness right now but when 2.5 y/o is big enought she can ditch the harness and just use the seat belt and then the back comes off to just be a booster and 4 convertible seat two of which were/are Britax.

We had a Roundabout and we have a Marathon.  I don't find them any better than the Evenflos the twins use right now. 

We retired the Roundabout because my then 2 y/o was fast approaching it's 40 inch, 40 lb limit.  It was a hand me down from my brother so it was a much older model and used in our back up car. 

Britax are BIG seats, both a good and bad thing but my biggest complaint with them was they sit so high, Both DH and I have knocked DD head into the car (a Cobalt) while trying to maneuver her into the seat and once she is in, DD's head is at practically the same height as ours. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTMum. Show CTMum's posts

We have the Marathon in one car and a Recaro in the other.  

One note: my nearly 3-year old daughter is still rear facing in both (she's a hair under 35 pounds, which is the maximum rear-facing limit for both seats). Further, she is still in the middle of the back seat in both seats, so my experiences are limited to that (e.g. it is easier to get her in and out, with the seat in the middle, without knocking her head on the car door frame).

I love both seats.  It is easier to get my daughter in and out of the Marathon than the Recaro because the Recaro has higher sides, so the clearance is less.  (Although, as she became more willing and able to climb in and out of the seats herself, that's become less of an issue).  But the Recaro is terrifically comfortable, especially for long rides, with its padded head restraint.

The Recaro is easier to adjust for height (an integrated knob that raises or lowers the harness and head restraint) versus the Marathon (you have to unhook the straps and rethread through one of five slots), but that is a nominal issue.

I have difficulty with both seats properly adjusting the tightness of the harness.  I have to wrap the adjustment strap around my hand and pull really, really hard to get the straps to budge. But I have long-suspected that is related to the fact that she is rear facing and we have rolled-up towels under the front portion of the seat to keep the seat level. 

I've had to clean both seats (removing the cover, washing, reinstalling, etc.) and had no trouble with either.

Long story short, if I were to do it again, I don't think I'd change my seats.  Hope this helps ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Yes, the britax are HUGE seats. But the Boulevard, which is one of the biggest Britaxes, did fit rear-facing (and now front-facing) in our Yaris. It wasn't comfortable, but it fit. Getting her in and out of it was pretty crazy though.

Not that you asked, but if I had it to do over again I'd go with a Graco. They're smaller, just as safe, and they have cup holders and storage.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

We also have an Evenflo Triumph Advance which was great as a convertible for DD, but we can't use it rear-facing in our current car because it only fits rear-facing in the middle seat (restriction on the belt-tightening device) and we can't put 2 carseats next to each other in our sedan.  I do like that seat though and we used it rear-facing with DD when she was the only one.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I just got the Britax Marathon (was 25% off on Amazon on Monday, so I took the plunge - another plug for joining Amazon Moms!).  We haven't installed it yet, but I bought it based on raves from parent friends.  I liked that it's convertible, and that it should last her a long time.  We're going to test it out in one car, and see if we want to order another of the same or try something else for our other car. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

capecod, the marathon does not have flaps

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I guess I missed the memo on the Britax - we have two Graco "My Ride 65" and I think they are fine.  Nothing to compare to since I've never owned another convertible car seat.
    They will do rear facing up to 40 lbs. and front facing up to 65lbs. 
    I've taken them apart on numerous occasions as my DD gets car sick often, so I can say that it's not too bad cleaning and re-installing them.
    Good luck with your choice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

My friends were devotees of Britax, but I just didn't like it that much - to me, it was bigger, harder to clean, and cumbersome to use (plus expensive!)

For about 4 years, we used the Evenflo Tribute.  When comparing it to the Triumph, the padding was a bit cushier, even though it was much cheaper ($50 instead of $150). Whatever brand and model you choose, you may want to get your hands on it and make sure it seems like it will be the right fit for your child.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

Oh wait maybe I have the Boulavard then.  Whatever I have has side flaps that can be annoying taking kids in an out of the car.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

We have the 09 roundabout which goes up to 50lbs.  No complaints!  It is big though.  But, we have flown with it and it flies great.  I was expecting DS during the previous edition of Baby Bargains and at the time, I believe some of the bigger Britax models were hard to fly with or not FAA approved b/c of size or something.  I don't remember exactly, but that played into my thinking.  We also knew we would likely try for another one within a few years after DS, so I figured when #2 outgrew the infant seat, i would move #2 into the Roundabout and get a bigger 5-point booster for DS.  There's a Graco one that gets decent reviews that I will likely move up to which also eventually turns into a backless booster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I haven't read all of the posts but I would also recommend that you check out the Sunshine Kids Radian seats.  They are more narrow than the Britax and claim they can fit three across and it folds to make it easier for travel.

http://www.skjp.com/country_selector.php

We bought one and DH is putting it together.  We bought it at Isis after I was set on getting a Britax.  However, I changed my mind because it seemed like a less bulky but equally safe option.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I registered for the First Years True Fit convertible seat.  It was also recommended by Baby Bargains and I just couldn't make sense of all the Britax options!  Lazy much?  But we're still using the infant seat, so I can't recommend the True Fit myself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I have a marathon in my car and roundabout in DH car.  My only complaint is they are HUGE.  I posted a while back about how unsafe it was for the passenger because there legs would hit the dashboard.  Since they DH, traded in his truck and got a car and it actually fits better but still is big.  DD sleeps in the car so we do have it slightly reclinded.  When we need to buy one for DS I think we will probably look into other brands that are smaller just to make it more comfortable in the car for everyone.   They are expensive to, I got the marathon for my shower and the roundabout from my sister in law so I never had to buy one but if I did have to buy one I would have looked into other brands.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Thanks everyone!  This was very very helpful!  With all the sales going on I want to get something  now.  We are also going to be getting a minivan soon and this will be the seat that goes into it and we will say bub-bye to the infant seat for now!

Fram I read a lot of reviews for the first year true fit that were very positive and it is a good price.  (not just baby bargains) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

CTMum,

The more I read about the Recaro the more interested I am in it.  I've read lots of reviews and they all say exactly what you said - that the seat is extremely comfortable.  We do quite a few long trips to see family, so comfort is also very important to me.  Since the pricepoint is so high, I think maybe get one Recaro and one Britax.  We could always swap the seats around depending upon who's car we take on longer trips.  I also like that the frame is steel.  Which model do you have?

One other question about the Recaro, since you are a "Mum" :)  I assume you have traveled with it on the plane?  And it's FAA approved?  I'm wondering how it worked out on the plane if you did take it. 

Thanks!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTMum. Show CTMum's posts

Hi Trouble,

Your thinking is exactly the same as my thinking when I was looking into the Britax and Recaro.  We ended up getting one of each, knowing we could swap, as necessary, for longer trips, etc. 

We bought the Recaro sometime in the spring or summer of 2009 and the model we selected was the Signo. Now they now only seem to have one convertible model, the Proride, which looks to have all of the features of our Signo and then some!

We actually haven't taken the Recaro on the plane.  Every time we've traveled to Europe we've taken the Britax. The first time we were faced with the decision, my husband worried about the Recaro getting damaged and since then we've just fallen into the habit of plane travel with the Britax.

Hope this helps ...