Daycare costs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Daycare costs

The easiest thing to pack for lunches is leftovers from the night before.  When I put the food away at night, I fill lunch serving glass reheat containers.  Then, in the morning, voila, lunch is packed.  Oh, and as aforementioned, I cut up an apple to go with.  Trader Joe's has great snacks, too, and I put single servings of those in resealable snack bags.  Instead of buying "lunch items" just essentially buy enough for a couple more meals of whatever you usually cook for dinner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I will definitely second that that the easiest and cheapest lunch is left overs from dinner.  If I've already bought all the ingredients for 2 people to eat.... it is generally no more expensive or time consuming to make 4 servings (and in fact that is what most recipes are designed for).  If I know we're having a meal that does not reheat well (grilled salmon, etc) I will make something like Lasagna the day before so that there are still extra left overs for 2 days.  I very rarely buy food specifically for lunches.  As I'm cleaning up from dinner, I just toss what is left into our lunch containers. 

I bought the nice glass reheatable containers for myself ... DH on the other hand gets the cheapy gladware since he has a bad habit of leaving containers at work, in the car, in the garage, etc.  I occaisionally will get a big bag of them returned to me in some stage of biohazard status.  Those just go in the trash.  If it is summer... he will sometimes hose them down in the yard, and even then I will usually toss them.  So to say the least, no expensive glassware for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Unless you have lots of willing family nearby, don't deduct too much from entertainment expenses - babysitters run about $10/hr, and you'll need to go out every once in a while. We made the mistake of not trying to find a sitter for far too long, and once we had a nice evening of adult time, we kicked ourselves for not getting on the ball sooner. 
    I also agree leftovers make the best lunches, but I always like to add a yogurt or piece of fruit as well. I have a chest freezer, so I also stock up on lean cuisines when they are on sale super cheap (January is usually a great time, since all the grocery stores put then on sale for people who made losing weight a resolution). They are perfect for days when we don't have leftovers, or when I want to change it up a bit. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

I was just going to add, you can remove some from your entertainment budget but we did not spend a lot on that to begin with and it balanced out with the cost of babysitting now with a baby.  Everytime we go out it is an extra $40 - $60 bucks.  Plus when the baby is an infant going out to eat is EASY!  It is when they are out of the Bucket seat that it gets tricky.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

luv--I sent you a message through BDC. Let me know if you got it...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

My center (not national chain, but about 30 kids + another location) runs $220/week for 4 days. That does not include diapers, wipes, food, etc. I originally had home based that was $200/week and did not include anything. We are south of Boston. My sister is in Somerville and pays $250/week for 5 days for a home based that includes snacks, but not diapers.

Looking at what other people pay I guess I should consider us lucky. Scary.

Another thing that changed for us significantly (and I think we are probably in the minorty for this) was our commuting costs. We both work in Boston and prior to the baby we commuted together. We did not want the kid at daycare from 7-5:30 so we now commute separately to make drop off time later and pick up time earlier. So he still pays for parking in Boston and now I pay for a commuter rail pass + parking at the station. We also had to purchase another car for this reason.

Kids aren't cheap to be sure! But well worth the expense.Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

In Response to Re: Daycare costs:
    [QUOTE]luv--I sent you a message through BDC. Let me know if you got it...
    Posted by kiwigal[/QUOTE]

I just sent you an email.  Thanks!!!