December Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

December Infants & Toddlers

Sorry for everyone going through sleep issues.  We are also struggling with the move from 1-2 naps (and some days no naps).  We tried to be really consistent but it was turning into a battle so on the weekends we just take cues from DS.  Some days we do 2 naps and some days just one.  I've given up trying to figure it out!

DS, 18 months, has become a very picky eater.  I'm really struggling to get him to eat good meals.  Any tips?  He's definitely feeling better and eats relatively well at daycare but won't eat well for us.  Even things that he generally loves he's turning his nose up at.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Re: December Infants & Toddlers

In response to clc51510's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry for everyone going through sleep issues.  We are also struggling with the move from 1-2 naps (and some days no naps).  We tried to be really consistent but it was turning into a battle so on the weekends we just take cues from DS.  Some days we do 2 naps and some days just one.  I've given up trying to figure it out!

DS, 18 months, has become a very picky eater.  I'm really struggling to get him to eat good meals.  Any tips?  He's definitely feeling better and eats relatively well at daycare but won't eat well for us.  Even things that he generally loves he's turning his nose up at.

[/QUOTE]

My DD is a month younger and also has picky eater days. Some days she eats enough to surprise us and other days it seems like she barely eats at all. I know with toddlers, it doesn't really matter day to day but moreso in the long run (like a week at a time) that they eat enough. As long as you offer regular nutritious meals, your LO will eat what he needs/wants.

Has anyont taken their LOs to see Santa? Our DD sat on his lap last year but was only 6 months old so she didn't really know what was going on...fast forward to this year and we have a family picture of the 3 of us with Santa because that's the only way it was going to happen :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I asked our pedi about the eating thing recently, since our 15 month old who used to be a champion eater now refuses most foods. She said it's likely a lull in major growth and he just might not eat very much for a little while but to keep offering the same foods. She labeled this as the crucial time to try not to foster a picky eater by trying to make him happy by giving him only certain foods. She said he'll eat the other stuff if he's hungry.

We do not do Santa. My 3 year old DD is absolutely terrified of him, regardless of all our talk, books, pictures, watching him afar at the mall trying to convince her he is a nice man. It's not worth it. She even breaks down into tears if I suggest that her little brother might like to sit on his lap. She would rather sacrifice presents than allow him into the house.

Has anyone tried the "wake to sleep" method for naps? A friend mentioned it to me yesterday and I hadn't heard of it (well, it's a distant, fuzzy memory from when I last had time to flip through a sleep book). Thinking of trying it with DS who is habitually waking from naps after 15-20 minutes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Med - Just wanted to offer my sympathy on your last post in the November boards. Those days are awful, and I have them more of than I'd like! All you can do is forgive yourself and move on, but it still stinks!

Clc- I've been through the picky eating thing to varying degrees for awhile now. I think the best advice I've gotten is what Summer said -- don't obsess over individual meals or even individual days. Their eating can really vary at this point. And definitely keep offering the things he refuses, especially the stuff he used to like. Kids have to try some foods a ridiculous number of times before they'll actually eat them. As for continuing to offer stuff they refuse, I need to get better about that. I've definitely fallen into a rut of giving DS only the stuff he likes. I have so little time to prepare meals for him that I can't afford to be making a bunch of stuff he's going to turn his nose up at. Poppy -- has your pedi's advice been true to your experience? I wish it was true for me, but my DS will just melt down out of hunger/frustration rather than eat something he doesn't want...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks.  We have DS's 18 month check up today so I will mention it.  Hopefully it improves soon.

We had an awful night last night, DS was up from 12:30-2 crying.  No clue why.  He had a great day so not sure what that was about.  And he was happy as could be if one of us would rock him,  he just didn't want to sleep.  Needless to say both mom and dad are struggling today!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Arcain - it's been true at this specific age (he's just about 16 months). I'm not sure about other ages! (When DD was this age we lived with my in laws and my MIL was pretty much in charge of lunch and dinner during the week, so she would just make whatever DD wanted). And, also, like you said - our pedi said to think of eating in terms of "the week" not "today". That helped me stress less.

CLC that has happened to us a couple of times with DS. It's mystifying. Hopefully tonight is better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

We are in the same boat as all of you with sleeping and eating.  DS 17 months, sometimes has 2 naps but most of the time naps once a day, and they vary from 20 minutes to 2 hours.  I just go with the flow!  But I have had days were I needed him to nap and just keep him in his crib for an hour even if he is not asleep.  He has always been a great eater but has definitely slowed down in the amount of food he consumes.  He is not a big meat eater besides chicken nuggets.  Any one experience this?  

Saturday morning was eventful.  First, I he climbed up the stool and then onto the counter top.  Next, I found him sitting on top of my night stand and then he locked himself in his bedroom all before 8:30 AM!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Pugs - we also do mandatory quiet time.  Even if DS won't nap we do make him hang out in his crib for awhile in the afternoon.  Generally it turns into a nap but even if it doesn't he really needs that time to unwind (and so don't we!).  Also, sounds like you had quiet the Saturday morning :)

Thanks for all of the sleep sympathy.  We had DS's 18 month check up yesterday and he got 2 shots and is about to have another tooth pop through so I didn Motrin before bed.  Luckily we all got some much needed sleep.  The pedi wasn't concerned about his weight and eating habits so that was reassuring.  And of course after expressing all of that concern yesterday DS ate a huge dinner!

Poppy - what's "wake to sleep"?  Never heard of that one. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks for the sympathy, Arcain!

Re: eating - pugs, my DD didn't eat any meat for at least a year.  Now (age 3) she will eat chicken fingers (with ketchup) and occasionally plain chicken (with ketchup).  I figured plenty of kids are vegetarians so it's probably fine.  Also, I can't remember who said that their child was on the mend from an illness, but DD also has done the thing where whatever she had been eating before she got sick, she would never eat again.  She used to eat hummus every single day and then she got a stomach bug and never went back.  She has actually even tried it more recently and gagged!

re: Santa - there is no way we could have gotten DD to sit on Santa's lap from about 15 months on - didn't even try.  Would have been absolute hysteria and I can't say that seems unreasonable to me!  Poppy, I was interested to read about your DD.  She is so much like mine, but so far mine hasn't expressed too much Santa apprehension.  I'm curious to see what's going to happen as we get closer.  We haven't really emphasized Santa much and I don't think she totally gets the idea about him going into houses.  We have a party coming up where there will be a Santa visit (and each parent is supposed to bring a wrapped gift for Santa to "give" the kid - urgh), so we'll see how that goes.  If it helps, I remember someone on here saying when they were little Santa used to leave presents outside since they were so freaked out by the concept.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Med - that was me on both accounts, DS isn't eating well after being sick and when I was little Santa left my presents on the deck because I did not want a stranger in my house.  We tried Santa twice with DS this year and each time he's fine from a safe distance but totally loses it when we get too close. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Hello all, checking in with a newbie. DS2 is 3 weeks. Doing really well, so cute and cuddly and seems quite mellow and content. Forgot how much newborns sleep!  Starting to wonder if I should be attempting more awake time During the day. He's eating really well. Still just doing on-demand; no idea when I was on a schedule with DS1. Guessing probably closer to when he went to daycare at 12 weeks.  DS2 eats anywhere from every 1.5 hours or has gone as long as 4 hours (unfortunately not at night yet!). He's got one heck of a powerful s()ck, so I've had to pump a few feedings to give my nips a break. But he's taking a bottle of pumped milk really well since we introduced it last week. No nip confusion (DS1 didn't have either). And this has also allowed me to freeze about 10 bags so far, which is good as I go back way earlier this time around.  DS2 will be starting combo nana-care and daycare (same center where DS1 is at preschool at least) at just 7 weeks as I start back at 60% Jan 7th. Ugh. 

Cutious, when did folks start a bedtime routine...especially those with other LOs at home. DS1 (3.2 yrs) is in bed by 8:15 latest after teeth brush, stories and a song or two. Wondering if I should try DS2 before or after?  Last night I definitely missed the window and he struggled to sleep until almost 11pm. Torture for this sleep deprived mom!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

IPW -  Congrats on DS2! Also, I miss how much newborns sleep!  We started a bedtime routine around 3-4 months (pjs, books - sometimes, bottle, rocking and music, bed).  It took until 6-7 months for my DS to start going to bed earlier (7:30pm), before that he usually wasn't in bed until 9ish.  Of course I only have one so far so no clue how you would arrange it with 2!  Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

IPW - It took me awhile to figure out a bedtime routine with the 2 kids.  It was probably around 3 months or so.  Prior to that the baby would always go to bed after my older one so that I could be involved in both bedtimes (the older one would ask for me, and I needed to nurse the baby before bed).  But, I am done nursing now, so DH usually does most of the bedtime routine for the baby (almost 8 months old now), and we try to get both kids down at the same time.  Which is usually around 7:30-8:30pm.  So, if DH can do some of the bedtime for either of the kids, that may help speed things up!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Also checking in with a newbie! IPW, congrats on your DS2. :) My DD is 7 weeks tomorrow and, knock on wood, is a great, mellow baby. She's sleeping like a champ so far and just wants to be held all day. I'm figuring out how my ring sling works to help with that! She also loves when we sit on the yoga ball and bounce. Instant zen face. 

I'm interested to hear about sleep schedules too, like IPW asked about. One thing we're concerned about now is DD's flat head. I know that's normal up to a point but we're starting to notice that her head in really flat in back and started panicking after DH did some googling about this. I'm laying her on her sides for naps during the day, but keep checking on her because I'm worried about SIDS. 

Has anyone else dealt with the flat head thing? What do you do for tummy time? DD isn't a fan, but her neck is pretty strong. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to pugslove's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We are in the same boat as all of you with sleeping and eating.  DS 17 months, sometimes has 2 naps but most of the time naps once a day, and they vary from 20 minutes to 2 hours.  I just go with the flow!  But I have had days were I needed him to nap and just keep him in his crib for an hour even if he is not asleep.  He has always been a great eater but has definitely slowed down in the amount of food he consumes.  He is not a big meat eater besides chicken nuggets.  Any one experience this?  

Saturday morning was eventful.  First, I he climbed up the stool and then onto the counter top.  Next, I found him sitting on top of my night stand and then he locked himself in his bedroom all before 8:30 AM!

[/QUOTE]

My DD doesn't really eat meat either, save for the occasional chicken nugget and deli ham or turkey. She'll eat chicken or pasta with meatsauce at daycare, but won't touch it at home otherwise. I often worry that she doesn't get enough protein, but the girl eats enough cheese to keep Cabot and Kraft in business :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I was raised vegetarian and plan to do the same with DD, so I wouldn't be inclined to sweat the meat consumption. Protein deficiencies are exceedingly rare in the developed world, but if you're worrying, think about beans, lentils, soy products, and nuts. Some ideas of popular/common/easy veggie protein sources: hummus, peanut butter, plain tofu (kids tend to love plain tofu--you can serve it raw and it is so mild and kid friendly), lentil soup, beans & rice, bean tacos, minestrone (with beans).

DD is doing great. She has started rolling back to front, and eating solid foods.  Exciting stuff!  Now if only she would stop waking up twice every night, so her mama could get some more sleep!

Re. newborn nap schedules: DD needed a nap after every 90 minutes of wakefulness. Ideally, I would start soothing her down after being awake for 80 minutes.  It was like clockwork. She is just now starting to space out her naps further than that. If she was really stimulated, she would skip naps, but it would lead to a lot of crankiness and more trouble sleeping later in the day. 

Around 6 weeks of age, she started to fall asleep at her 8 pm "nap time" and staying asleep for 3-4 hours, so that turned into the beginning of her night sleep time.

Re. flat head: Don't worry too much, and just keep doing back to sleep (for naps too).  SIDS is way worse than a flat head, which is a purely cosmetic thing.  And even with the flat heads, it's not the flatness per se that is the problem (hair covers that, and it is not noticeable on older kids & adults). Doctors worry if the head is asymmetrically flattening, not just flat in the back in a symmetric way.  Your pediatrician will screen for this at every appointment (even if they don't talk about it, it is something they check).

What you can do to help is tummy time and rotate babies orientation in the crib, to encourage her to look out to both sides to see into the room.  Favoring one side is what can cause the asymmetric flattening.

We had a lot of discussions about flat heads at my house bc my MIL became obsessed with the idea that DD had a flat head. DH is a surgeon who routinely evaluates babies for this problem and neither he nor our pediatrician thought that DD had the problem. But that didn't stop MIL from nagging us about it for a month or so... 

THis website has some great suggestions about tummy time, for the skeptical babies (which seems to be pretty much all babies when they are really little):

http://mamaot.com/2012/03/25/tips-for-making-tummy-time-a-little-less-um-miserable/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Pugs, I couldn't help but laugh at your post. Quite an eventful morning! You've got an adventurer on your hands!

IPW - congrats and welcome back to the world of newborns. I already almost entirely forget everything about that phase, despite having been through it twice. I do remember when DS was a newborn DD's bedtime was still very much an awake time for DS for quite a while. It was daddy time. I'd do DD's bedtime and DS would "play" with (e.g., sit and look at) Daddy. I want to say it was somewhere around 6 months that we started putting him down (earlier and earlier over time) in the ballpark of when DD would go down. Knowing that he'd be up by midnight or sooner for a feeding.

WPP, for what it's worth, I've never seen a baby who didn't have some flatness to their head. Your pediatrician will let you know if it rises to the level of needing a helmet. But all babies have flatness at some point. I wouldn't worry too much about it if your pedi isn't worried. I do have one friend whose baby currently is wearing a helmet, and although it's not ideal I'm sure, it doesn't seem to be a big deal to any of them.

Re: the Santa thing... if she continues to be freaked out by the idea of him coming into the house, I'm thinking of ordering this: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D2CJ7O/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A16117T88F7080 and putting the unwrapped gifts from Santa in there and putting it on the front steps for Christmas morning. I think it's cute.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW, hi!  I have been thinking of you.  I think with DS (now 7 months), we started around 6 weeks with a very simple bedtime routine (PJ's, swaddle, nursing, song) and then put him down, all before DD's bedtime routine.  Then, at least half the time if not more, he wouldn't stay down and it would end up that DH would hold him while I put DD to bed.  As he got towards 3 months, he started staying down more often and then once it was most of the time (plus he was alert enough to notice the TV!) we wouldn't keep him in the living room with us if he woke back up but instead would keep him in his room.

Now we do his bedtime (nursing, PJ's, story, song) starting at 7 and then do DD's bedtime starting at 8.  He's usually in bed by 7:30 and she's in bed around 8:45.  I don't love it because it seems like a long process and once he's done nursing I want to combine their bedtime routines a lot more.  On the other hand, he seems to really need to go to bed around that time, whereas DD does not.  And, she usually gets a little special play time without him around.  When she totally stops napping I think we'll have to put her to bed earlier, but I'm not sure how to do that while also nursing the baby.  Any suggestions welcome!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

p.s. Poppy, that's a great idea.

Siena, that's hysterical/crazy that your MIL was worried about the head even though your DH is a medical professional!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Was there something in the air yesterday? Everyone I've spoken to had a cranky baby on their hands yesterday! DS couldn't bear to be more than 5 feet from me all day. Any time I was out of his reach, he had a complete fit. He wouldn't let me put him in the jumper or anything. At one point, I considered asking DH to switch so I could shovel and he could watch DS! He has two teeth that are trying to poke through (you can see the white through his gums but they haven't cut yet) so I don't know if that's the issue, if the snow was bugging him somehow, if he didn't like not seeing DH for hours while he shoveled or what but I was at my wit's end. I know I should be grateful that he loves his mama so much that he can't stand being apart and it won't be long before he wants nothing to do with me. Right now, I feel like I'm running on empty. It's going to be a long week!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

DS is 7 months old, and we've been feeding him solids (purees) for about a month now. He goes to daycare from 8-5, and it seems like there just isn't enough time in the day for him to drink four 4oz bottles of breastmilk plus oatmeal for breakfast, a puree for lunch, and a puree for a snack. I'm wondering it we should send him with three 5-6 oz bottles instead.

Chiclet and anyone else with a baby around this age, how many bottles of breastmilk does your baby drink at daycare?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

JL - D is at daycare for roughly 8.5 hours and I send him with a 4 oz bottle for the morning and a 5 oz bottle for the afternoon. BUT, I nurse him at lunch, so add another bottle in there for that. I was sending in 3 bottles, but he was eating too late in the day. Then he'd want to nurse when he gets home, which would be fine if he was hungry, but he wasn't. It was super-frustating for both of us. That's when I dropped the last bottle but added the extra ounce in the afternoon so he can make it until I get there. He doesn't get solids at daycare because we're BLW and I don't think they would know what to do. His teachers haven't said anything to me about him being hungry during the day and I'm more than happy with his weight gain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

JL--My DD is almost 6 months old, and has been eating solids for a few weeks now.  She is at daycare from 9-6 some days.  We do three bottles of 4 oz each at daycare, because I can't pump more than that. They give her a bottle roughly every 2.5 hours, and solids are interspersed between bottle feeds.

She gets 1 serving of oatmeal (i.e. 1 oz of milk + ~ 1 tbsp oatmeal) and sometimes 1 jar worth of pureed food at school. We give her 1 puree before she leaves for daycare in the morning most days, because we introduce new foods at home for a few days first. 

Our pediatrician suggested I could make the bottles bigger and space them out more, so I think 5-6 ounces at a time would be fine.  It's just that I know my baby will need those three big meals at daycare, and I can't pump more than 12 ounces at work (and that's on a good day). My DD is in the 80th percentile for weight, so she doesn't seem to be suffering. If I get a little extra and make the bottles 4.5 oz, she chows that down without a problem. 

...I think her relatively low milk consumption at daycare is fueling her 3 overnight feedings (9 pm, 1 am, 4 am), but since that's what I can pump, that is just what it will have to be until I get her taking in more solids. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I'm so glad I just read these most recent posts... my DS2 will be starting daycare at 7 weeks for a few days a week.  I've been freezing milk in 4oz bags... and I'm thinking that is going to be way too much for such a little guy.  I'm trying to feed him a bottle a day so he can learn better... he still spits out a fair amount and its torture watching that pumped gold end up on the bib instead of his belly.  Although wondering if its me he does it with only?   My MIL was over last week for dinner and gave him a 3oz bottle and barely had a drop on the bib.  Think I'm going to freeze a few more 3oz bags and have those at the ready for the first few days.  I'm trying not to over pump so my supply doesn't go nuts.  So I'm ususally just pumping in the morning... around 6am and LOs last feeding is usually between 4-5am.  I'm getting either 4-5 ozs... which I am thinking is decent for LO being 4-weeks today.  I was such a bad pumper with DS1... and had to add in formula bottles starting at 4 months (he started daycare at 3 months).  I'd really like to make it again to 4 months exclusive breast milk if at all possible with DS2.
    DS2 is 4 weeks today... getting so big.  Our 1 month apt is this week too... can't wait to see how much he has grown.  We've only had one apt so far, which was when he was 6 days old.  He was only 2 oz under his birth weight (after having lost 8 oz in the hospital) so the doctor was pretty happy with his gain in such a short time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

IPW - I didn't start feeding DS 4 oz bottles until after he was 3 months old. When he started daycare he was taking 3oz, then I started sending in 2 3oz and 2 4oz bottles for maybe a month. I didn't up him to 4oz bottles until after he had his tongue released at 4 months old. He kept spitting up (another lovely symptom of tongue tie) so I couldn't see having him drink a 4 oz bottle only to see half of it again. I'd rather feed him smaller bottles more frequently.

FWIW, I think pumping 4-5oz is amazing!