Diaper Pail Foulness

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Diaper Pail Foulness

Holy Eye-Watering Goodness -- the diaper pail is off the charts bad.  Suggestions?  I've started letting it air out after we change the bags, but it's awful within a few hours.  Baking soda?  Lysol?  Napalm? 

Or is it just impossible to keep s**t in a bag inside without it smelling like something died?  I feel like it didn't used to be this bad ... maybe it's cumulative?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Diaper Pail Foulness

I used to Lysol ours occasionally.  Of course the only real solution is to put the BM down the toilet.  That was never an easy option for me. Trying to watch over twins and carry a dirty diaper to our bathroom simply didn't seem an option.  I used to empty the pail almost every day which also helped. We had a dedicated covered trash can in the garage just for diapers.
    You don't say what kind of pail you have. We use diaper Genie - and it works great while closed - I only thought I'd faint a few times when I opened it and the smell would waft out.
    Still - the whole business is a mess.  :(

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

You want a Diaper Genie! It's a diaper pail diaper bag dispenser....found it to control the "stink" pretty well. Worth the price - IMHO

Never could figure out how a baby could create such a stink as to burn my nasal hairs away!

Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

So I'll disagree with Roger and say that the diaper genie still stinks after a while, and then you're comitting to buying the stupid refills.  I think Lily's approach of moving the offending stench outside each day is probably the best.  Maybe just use plastic grocery bags to contain a day's worth of diapers and then transfer to a larger bag/barrel in a remote location?  As for making the pail more pleasant in the mean time... I've found that lysol works well on our kitchen barrel but I'll also mix bleach and water and leave the barrel 1/4 full of the bleach/water out in the sun for a bit and then air dry in the sun (a little hard to do this time of year, but my garbage stench is usually a summer issue).  Seems to help for at least a little while.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I must say that our diaper genie works very well.  After 18+ months (the last 3 of which has 2 babies worth of mess) it doesn't really stink except for the brief few seconds it's open to throw a dirty diaper in.  We only put BM diapers in it.  Wet go in a regular trash bin so we open it less and the bags last longer.Or maybe I have a bad sense of smell.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

We got rid of our Diaper Champ a long time ago.  What we do now is just put all the diapers in a plastic grocery bag and when it's full or when the odor gets to be too much, we just take it to the garbage cans outside.  I find it to be much less of a hassle than dealing with the giant stinking festering full-size garbage bag of diapers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Have you tried the anti-stink trash bags? I think Hefty makes them. They might help a little, but napalm may be the only permanent solution.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Lysol lysol lysol. But it doesn't last.
    I found little diaper baggies that smell like powder in the dollar store. I use those for the really bad ones.
    I will have to look for the anti-stink bags. Thanks redfishbluefish!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

We have the Arm & Hammer diaper pail w/baking soda and I have never noticed an odor - but you've been using yours longer, GC.
    We only put poopy diapers in it so that we won't have to keep buying the official refill bags.  DD is 8 1/2 months and we're still using the original box of 10 we got at the shower.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Diaper Pail Foulness:
    [QUOTE]So I'll disagree with Roger and say that the diaper genie still stinks after a while, and then you're comitting to buying the stupid refills.  I think Lily's approach of moving the offending stench outside each day is probably the best.  Maybe just use plastic grocery bags to contain a day's worth of diapers and then transfer to a larger bag/barrel in a remote location?  As for making the pail more pleasant in the mean time... I've found that lysol works well on our kitchen barrel but I'll also mix bleach and water and leave the barrel 1/4 full of the bleach/water out in the sun for a bit and then air dry in the sun (a little hard to do this time of year, but my garbage stench is usually a summer issue).  Seems to help for at least a little while.
    Posted by bostongrl[/QUOTE]

DON'T BE A SLOB!

YOU HAVE TO EMPTY THE THING!

LIFE LESSON #101: P00P STINKS! NO MATTER WHERE YOU PUT IT OR WHAT YOU PUT IT IN!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]Lysol lysol lysol. But it doesn't last. I found little diaper baggies that smell like powder in the dollar store. I use those for the really bad ones. I will have to look for the anti-stink bags. Thanks redfishbluefish!
    Posted by BDCKristi[/QUOTE]

I used these blue scented bags when travelling with the kids - they work too!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTMum. Show CTMum's posts

We found that after about a year or so our diaper pail smelled to high heaven, no matter what we did to try to remove the stink. (For the record, ours was the "diaper champ," used in conjunction with the anti-stink kitchen garbage bags.  It was as if the stink had penetrated the plastic.

Our solution, which as worked so far, was threefold.  As many BMs as we could manage were flushed down the toilet. If we coudn't manage to flush the BM, for whatever reason, that diaper went inside one of those little blue diaper baggies, knotted and then put into the diaper pail.  And our replacement diaper pail is the Arm & Hammer one.  A year into the new process and we've managed to avoid a return of the stink (knock on wood). 

Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

We chose the Diaper Champ because it doesn't require special bags.

We also recently tried the Glad Odor Shoeld w/ Febreze.  I have to admit, I was skeptical, but they work pretty well.

I also spray some deoderizer in when changing bags.  

It's just a stinky business!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I use the little blue bags when we travel. My friend who has a baby and a dog mentioned that they are cheaper at the pet store. I haven't checked it out yet since I don't need any refills. This may be the one joy of living in a condo. We can do daily drop offs at the dumpster!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

OK, I come from cloth diaper land so excuse me for being obtuse, but what about just rolling the po0p into the toilet and flushing it? 

Alternately, it's totally non-environmentally friendly but put the stink bomb in a grocery bag, tie it at the top, open your back door and toss it in an conveniently placed outdoor garbage bin?

I cannot imagine their is a single product that is going to solve your problem. FWIW, we have a wet bucket we put vinegar and hot water in. We roll the po0p in the toilet (or hose it in if necessary) and toss it in a wet bucket. No smell, everything is under water. 

BTW, glad to hear there's po0p stinking up your home! I know your DD was having a hard time with that recently! :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

GC- I do the same thing that micromom said. works ok, and our diaper champs were used hand me downs.

of course, the other saving grace is that most defication occurs at daycare :)

seriously?? another message with change the following words (with no words) this is so annoying!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I found the odor blocking trash bags to be useless on regular kitchen trash, and we compost our garbage.

However, in my experience (not on poopy diapers, granted), the new Febreeze Air Effects spray works like it shows on the ads, you know the ones, "I think my nose touched that."  lol  Anyway, I spray our trash can with it before I put the bag in and then liberally spray into the bag itself, and it does a very good job of preventing foul kitchen trash odor.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]We got rid of our Diaper Champ a long time ago.  What we do now is just put all the diapers in a plastic grocery bag and when it's full or when the odor gets to be too much, we just take it to the garbage cans outside.  I find it to be much less of a hassle than dealing with the giant stinking festering full-size garbage bag of diapers.
    Posted by Daisy75[/QUOTE]
    We never had a diaper genie.  We started with a bucket for used cloth diapers and when she started on solid food/daycare and we switched to disposables we kept the bucket, we just lined it with plastic supermarket grocery bags and took it out to the trash every day or so.  If she had an especially epic bowel movement (seriously, p00p is a swear word now?! that's stupid) we'd just take it right outside and throw it in the barrel.  I think it worked because the diapers fill up the little bag quicker than the big diaper genie and so they get thrown out earlier. 
    But now she's potty trained during the day and she hasn't even been pooping over night so I am living a life of luxury!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

defecate
    release the hounds
    clog the toilet
    sh1t a brick
    take a dump
    cleveland steamer
    diarrhea
    poopy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

[QUOTE]defecate release the hounds clog the toilet sh1t a brick take a dump cleveland steamer diarrhea poopy
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]
    LIKE!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

We have a Diaper Dekor.  I try to roll the brown business into the toilet when I can and we empty it pretty frequently.  I think we're going to add an air-out day to the regime, as well as baking soda in the bag and generous Febreze-ing.  

For something so cute, she creates a lot of unholy foulness.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]defecate release the hounds clog the toilet sh1t a brick take a dump cleveland steamer diarrhea poopy
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

Dropping the Brown's off at the pool!

Hot Tootsie Roll!

Bringing the Brown's to the Super Bowl!

Lincoln Log's!

Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Febreze Air Effects really works better than the original Febreze, I think.  I was never too impressed with regular Feb.