February - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: February - Infants and Toddlers

re the humidifiers- kids are supposed to have cool air. that is all i remember, and have no idea where i read it. we had to buy another one for DS's room, because we only had warm.  we don't have wallpaper, but haven't had a problem. the crane series (look like animals) have a continuous dial, so you can turn it down. in the instructions it said that the stream should be going up- if it goes down, there is too much water in the air. sorry about the wallpaper. that stinks.  lemon's automatic shut off sounds awesome.

trouble- we had a distracted BFer too- he did get better- mostly because he learned if he focused and ate he could run away faster. and, around this same time, he also started to refuse the nursing cover. so I really did have to find a quiet place or sing while I did it. that way, he focused on my voice/mouth and kept nursing. help in crazy places where there was no place to go.

quad- if your sister doesn't have a girl- you should consign the clothes at one of those yearly sales...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I had a nurse tell me that many humidifiers cause more problems than benefits because of the mold.  It lives in places we can't even see or get to when cleaning.  We use them sparingly I must say.  They do kinda gross me out, but when it is super dry, I notice a huge benefit when I turn it on at night.  Our house has a built in humidifier into our HVAC and my husband absolutely won't let us use it because he says he's seen some really nasty stuff in those systems after only a very short time.

I'm starting a new post about tantrums.  Need some advice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks for all the great advice!  I will definitey try some of your suggestions with DS (Amy the nursing necklace sounds like something that might be really easy and effective!), and I hope that DD gets on with being a big girl soon.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

This is very timely, because yesterday I found mold on the blinds in the LO's room.  It was gross and I feel like a horrible parent.  How do I know if it's a deadly mold???  I think I might take part of the time when she is at daycare off from work to bleach her entire room.  (Because my paranoia extends to bleach fumes as well.)

Needless to say, I emptied out the vaporizer and banished it for the time being.  Although the thing itself seems to be mold free.  I am kicking myself for being cheap and getting one without a shut off for humidity or time.  But I really can't understand why they are SO expensive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: February - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]This is very timely, because yesterday I found mold on the blinds in the LO's room.  It was gross and I feel like a horrible parent.  How do I know if it's a deadly mold???  I think I might take part of the time when she is at daycare off from work to bleach her entire room.  (Because my paranoia extends to bleach fumes as well.) Needless to say, I emptied out the vaporizer and banished it for the time being.  Although the thing itself seems to be mold free.  I am kicking myself for being cheap and getting one without a shut off for humidity or time.  But I really can't understand why they are SO expensive.
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

The expensive ones have an ultrasonic silver technology thingy that does something about mildew control.

But seriously, check Job Lot and other cheap places, and check Amazon and overstock for late-season dealz. The guardian ones are always coming out with new models and then the older ones go on sale. They're all pretty much the same.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Ugh, yes I found mildew on our crane cool mist humidifier.  I now know that I have to clean it more often. We just bought it and it was working great, until I saw the pink stuff on the bottom.  yuk! 

So I also won parent of the year award yesterday.  DS fell off the changing table.  DH was changing him into his pjs and DS was sitting upright.  DH turned to tell me something about DS and DS basically dove right off the table. His toy was on the floor so I can only guess he was reaching for it.  DS was fine, very scared, but fine. He fell on his back/shoulder and had a big red mark but nothing else.  We both felt awful and know it can happen to anyone.  We also know it could have been much worse if he landed on his head.  We checked on him all night and he was just fine snuggled in his bed. It was scary for sure.  Glad there was no late night trip to the ER!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

ajuly - OMG, so scary!  I'm glad DS is okay.  That is a huge fear of mine.  Though DD is only 11 weeks and not rolling yet I am probably too lax on the changing table.  I turn my back to get a new pair of socks from the dresser a couple of feet away, or open the closet that is next to the changing table to grab a new outfit all the time.  I am still really close, but I know I need to be more cautious, especially once she can roll.  She's not there yet, but what if her first time is off the table??? 

Does anyone use the strap on a regular basis? We've used it a few times, but not often, and only if I am alone and need to spend more than 30 seconds over at the dresser.   But I don't know how much good it does. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Would adding vinegar to the humidifier water help with the mold issue?

AFM - My almost 18 month old peed on the toilet 2 times in the last 13 hours and don't know what to make of this. Her cousin is 3 and training and she's very interested, so we recently got her a potty at home. She likes to strip down and sit on it when I go, and last night and then this morning (with a dry overnight diaper) she peed. We cheered and hugged her, but aren't making this anything more than a fun thing to do in the bathroom. Should we be more encouraging than that? I don't know, I am not ready to train, even if she is and I can't quite figure out if I should push the training a bit, or not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

ML - That is fantasic!  Don't think of it as a chapter ending, think of it as a new and even better beginning.  Personally, I think it just gets better and better the older they get.  (and I can't wait to have diaper changing done with)

AJuly - Very scary!  Glad DS is OK!!  

Jenn - I never use the strap, and I also walk away from the table on occassion.  Terrible I know, but knock on wood... 2 kiddos and 0 accidents.

AFM, with 2 under 2 DH and I had been going through a bit of a rough patch.  But now we've both made a pact to take better care of ourselves and our marriage (if you know what I mean).  What a difference!  I thought I was too tired for that stuff, but it turns out not doing that stuff was making us tired and depressed.  So now we have 2 happy kids and 2 happy parents!  :)  And of course all has been facilitated by a new, earlier bedtime for the kids.  I love them, but I also love when they are asleep!   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Woo hoo, Trouble!  Misslily just posted about this a few months ago and posted a great update in the Superbowl v Sex thread (Go Lilies!).   I just read a little blurb about this in Shape (one that's been lying around a few months) about how it can fall to the wayside so easily after kids, but that it's essential to the marriage that it doesn't for long.  YAY!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

trouble- good for you and mr. trouble!! congrats!

ML- 18 months is really young to be potty training. Maybe she is really advanced... but my DS (same age) is not capable of notifying me in advance, but may go if prompted.  I think that I would do what you are doing- if she wants to pee in the potty fine (when you pee). DS has taken to checking his diaper when I go to the bathroom. However, i think that she is young for the "normal" training routines- including punishment/correction for accidents. and I certainly wouldn't take her out of diapers yet. 

jen- i used to cheat and open the top drawer- our changing pad is on a dresser. sounds ridiculous now that I am writing it, but in my mind it was safer than the hard woods.  I never got into the strap after DS peed on it the first time we used it.

lots of talk about pee this morning- now fully in my second trimester, i need to take my own trip to the potty!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ML - that's awesome!  You're inspiring me to get a little potty for DD sometime in the next couple of months to see what will happen.  I have absolutely no experience with this obviously, but maybe you could see what happens if you're not near the bathroom and she has to go... see whether she indicates she wants to go to the bathroom, or doesn't think of it because it's out of sight.  Do you have a 3-day weekend coming up?  (I can't recall if you work)  Maybe see how it goes this weekend and take it from there?

Just a little funny story: yesterday DD was playing with her little kitchen.  SIL bought her this package of pretend foods and utensils and things.  Included is what looks like a hard-boiled egg.  Well, DD (15 months) took the egg, brought it over to the sink of her little kitchen, rapped it on the counter and put her thumbs to the middle of it - like she was cracking it open!  I continue to marvel at what they observe and internalize!  she has an egg for breakfast pretty much every morning and I guess she's been paying attention to the preparation!

ETA: Trouble, that's great!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ml, ride the potty training wave, go where she takes you.  If your 18 month old has started waking up in a dry diaper and waiting for you to take her to the toilet to pee in the morning, that's a great, natural start on her part. That's not to say that diapers should immediately be abandoned as you jump whole hog into full on potty training.  Go where she's leading...forward.  You don't have to run, just be sure to celebrate and encourage the strides she's making on her own from her own sense of wanting to be dry, comfortable, and to immitate others she loves and admires.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Oh - ok.  I will edit my post!
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

I've sanitized mine, I think.  But, ml, I hope my original response to your original post was helpful, and that's the last I'll mention it here.  If you want to talk my email is kargiverbdc @ gmail . com.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

ML - I totally get you not being ready to train.  My DD was showing interest at 18 months too and I totally ignored it.  Of course she wasn't watching someone else train so it was easier.
    I finally started when she was two and she trained in 18 days. Most of the time it's great - but there are times I hate it. When she wants to go potty in a store, or the last time we went to a restaurant and she asked to go 3 times. Of course everytime I came back to the table DS then asked to go too so I made 6 trips to the ladies room in about 50 minutes.
    BTW - as another poster said - it just gets better and better ask they get older. And for the most part I love not changing diapers

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

ML- My DD was 18 months when she started to get interested in the potty as well. We kept it very low key, getting her a little potty, and letting her use it when she wanted to. I think it was the peer pressure from daycare - At the time she was one of the younger kids, so when all the older kids went to use the potty she wanted to go too. 
    And her interest in it waxed and waned- a few days of her being all about going potty on the potty would be followed by a few days of wanting nothing at all to do with it. But we kept offering trips to the potty when she was into it, and she was keeping up with the potty thing at daycare. In fact, they were the ones who suggested we move her to real underwear during the days, since she was pretty much dry all the time (at around 2 years old, not 18 months). 
    I think 18 months is a really good time to introduce the potty, with no pressure to "train" because your LO will start to get comfortable with using the potty, and you can slowly figure out what works and doesn't for you and your family, without the pressure of "Must potty train NOW!" 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - too cute.  It's true; they are like little sponges.  And little copycats.  :)
    ML - that's great!  Our LO's diaper is like a thousand pounds of pee in the AM!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]ML- My DD was 18 months when she started to get interested in the potty as well. We kept it very low key, getting her a little potty, and letting her use it when she wanted to. I think it was the peer pressure from daycare - At the time she was one of the younger kids, so when all the older kids went to use the potty she wanted to go too.  And her interest in it waxed and waned- a few days of her being all about going potty on the potty would be followed by a few days of wanting nothing at all to do with it. But we kept offering trips to the potty when she was into it, and she was keeping up with the potty thing at daycare. In fact, they were the ones who suggested we move her to real underwear during the days, since she was pretty much dry all the time (at around 2 years old, not 18 months).  I think 18 months is a really good time to introduce the potty, with no pressure to "train" because your LO will start to get comfortable with using the potty, and you can slowly figure out what works and doesn't for you and your family, without the pressure of "Must potty train NOW!" 
    Posted by amy-lynn[/QUOTE]
    I was going to post and then I realized amy-lynn had written pretty much exactly what I was going to say. 
    Good luck with the potty training!  It sounds like she'll be the exact perfect age to start in earnest during the warmer months, which makes everything a lot easier.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

It is exciting and encouraging to hear of all your LOs interested in the potty at around 18 months.  My DD is 19 months and is definitely interested and we have a little potty for her.  She hasn't sat on it yet without her diaper on, partly because I was hesitant to start the "process", but she is really aware of the whole potty/diaper thing.  She has also been telling me when she has a p00py diaper or is about to have a p00py diaper, so that is all good (she'll pat herself on the behind and says "p00 p00").  She does wake up with a dry diaper sometimes too.  Glad to hear that this behavior is within the same age range as some of your little ones.  I am hoping this sets the stage for training this summer when she turns 2!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Those children who tell you when they have a BM in their diaper, or who tell you as they are going, or who hate having a BM diaper, are usually easy to train.  And if she wakes up with a dry diaper, I'd see if she wants to sit on the potty sans diaper and see what happens.  And see if she wants to sit on the potty sans diaper when you draw the bath, I'll bet she pees!  I'd agree that you let it ebb and flow (NO pun intended, yikes!) at this age, but if they are reallly interested I do think you want to follow their lead so that you can see if she' ready for underpants in the summer when there are fewer clothes to take off/on.

Misslily, soon you will be able to set more limits with your kids re: going to the potty.  "We are going to order our meal, then go to the potty.  You both need to try because once our food comes we aren't going to make any more trips until after we are all finished eating."  Especially your daughter is probably ready for this type of limit setting, not your son quite yet.  But by the summer when they are really quite proficient, I'd start with some limits. 

AND make a habit of listening to see if the kids 'do anything' when go to the potty - sometimes kids sit for 3 seconds, then 10 minutes later ask to go and they DO have to go... but if they were very productive the first time around, they usually just DON'T have to go 10 minutes later.  AND given you have twins, I'd insist that they both go together so you can eat your meal.  In a few years you'll be dividing and conquering - your DH takes your son and you take your daughter, but for now you take both kids at the same time (into the same stall, of course, and they take turns).  

Children do need to learn that their parents have needs, like wanting to eat their lunch/dinner when it's hot, and sometimes they do need to conform - like sitting longer at the table than they might want to, or only visiting the potty two times at a restaurant vs 5 times because it's fun to use the cool sinks, etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

And expect a kid who tells you if there's p00p in her diaper or asks you to change her because she's just gone is going to next week take that diaper off as soon as she's p00ped.  We had a couple rough weeks of AM messes thanks to a girl who would wake up at 4 or so when she went, take her diaper off, roll over, and go back to sleep. yuck. 
    Just take a deep breath and tell yourself it's a sign you're almost out of diapers (and buy a few extra sheets for the rotation).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have you seen the Clorox ad where the little boy runs to his mom all pround and says he went #2, and she gets all excited, goes to the bathroom, looks in the toilet and confoundedly asks, "Where?!" and he points to the tub.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

re: public bathrooms, I have to share something cute.  We were in a few this weekend and I was washing the LO's hands after.  I usually lift her up, get the soap, coat her hands in it, and then rub them under the water.
    Well, the next day I kept seeing her go over to the end table by the couch, press the side of the couch, rub her hands over the end table.  Then after a while, she pressed the couch, came over to me, and rubbed all my fingers.  Then went back to rinse and repeat.  :)  It took me a few minutes to figure out what she was doing, but when I did my heart kind of melted.
    I have to share this because she spent a lot of the rest of the weekend being SUPER cranky.  Good grief.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Poppy, I totally agree about them being little copycats.  A couple weeks ago my DD (18 months) kept saying two words throughout the day and I couldn't figure out what she was saying, until the next day when I told the dog to get off the couch and then said "good girl" to the dog, which DD then immediately repeated (sounds more like "goo gir").  I suddenly realized that I must say that to the dog all the time and DD noticed!

We also have a bit of daddy obsession going on in our house, which I don't mind at all.  She is still very much into mommy, but is constantly asking for Daddy and pointing to pictures of Daddy.  Very cute!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Those children who tell you when they have a BM in their diaper, or who tell you as they are going, or who hate having a BM diaper, are usually easy to train.  Posted by CT-DC[/QUOTE]

I'm curious if you have found the opposite to be true.  DD has never fussed when her diaper is dirty, whether it's liquid or solid.  Does that make her more likely to tolerate diapers longer?  (Obviously, there is no hard and fast rule, just curious about your experiences!)