Foot issues post pregnancy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Foot issues post pregnancy?

Did anyones feet change substantially during their pregnancy, - like their feet got bigger or their arches fell - and did they eventually return to normal?

My daughter is 10 weeks old, and I had very bad swelling in my feet for a good portion of my pregnancy. Now, the swelling is gone but my feet really ache. I think I may have fallen arches and find myself walking on the outside of my feet.

Just wondering if this will go away or I need to start thinking about "special shoes." :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Foot issues post pregnancy?

My feet went up half a size and stayed that way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Many gals' feet stay slightly larger.

It's possible you have plantar fasciitis (not sure if that's how it's spelled).  It's a problem with the ligaments in the bottom of the foot.  I had it for a while after #2 but eventually it went away...there are exercises and such available, but what I did was sleep with my feet tucked in between the mattress and the foot of the bed to keep them flexed to stretch my feet and it helped.  Do your feet hurt the most when you get up in the morning, or when you stand up after sitting for a while? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

A lot of women have told me their feet grew a half or full size and stayed that way... I am completely in denial that it will happen to me!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

My feet also stretched.  After 2 pregnancies my feet are a size bigger.  Not to freak you out but I saw a woman on Ellen once that had one foot grow 2 sizes.  Poor girl.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I had really bad swelling after giving birth to my twins.I got something called neuropraxia - where my toes felt like they were "asleep" all the time.  You know that tingly feeling?
    It got better after about 6 months - but I hate to say it never went away totally.
    Lots of my friends feet grew 1/2 a size with each pregnancy.  Mine were huge at the end, but finally went back to my normal size 8.
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I actually just hit up a shoe store this morning because I'm thinking that with the LO now at 13 weeks, the problem with the shoes not fitting may be permanent... bummer.
    Purplecow, can you say more about plantar fascitis?  Does it hurt when you walk a lot?  Or just all the time?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

My feet would hurt a lot when I first got up--that first step out of bed was awful--but then as I walked around they started feeling better, not 100% but not too bad.  That's pretty typical of it, movement stretches out the connective tissue in your feet, but it tightens up when you rest.  A nurse friend who'd had it herself figured it out and suggested the stretching.  Hers didn't get better on its own and she went to an podiatrist and got some orthopedic slipper-brace type things to wear at night to keep her feet flexed. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I have plantar fascitis, and I wear orthotics (arch supports) in my shoes. I have a pair of braces to wear at night, but usually wearing the orthotics and doing stretches daily is enough to keep it from being bad. So I only wear them occaisonally (They are hot, impossible to walk in , and decidedly un-sexy.
    For me, the pain is mainly in my heels, and it is a throbbing pain that is worst when standing still - moving helps, and getting off my feet and flexing them also helps. I also found that while I was pregnant, I had a lot fewer problems. I would have thought that all the extra weight would make it worse, but I think some of the same hormones that loosen the tendons and ligaments for your abdomen help out with the ones in your feet. I went back to the podiatrist after having my daughter, because the pain got really bad after I had her. It was hard because I was still nursing, so I couldn't take a lot of the anti-inflamatories I had taken in the past. I was able to get a lot of relief with new orthotics, and being diligent about doing the stretches.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Not pg, but tons of foot issues. I have Morton's Neuroma [which is similar to what misslily has, but apparently much more painful b/c it's in both the ball of my foot and toes in both feet - I basically have either no feeling, or a hot, burning, stinging sensation throughout the day] and Plantar Fascitis.  I can no longer wear heels. I made the mistake of going to a podiatrist and getting injections.  Don't do this until you have exhausted all other possiblities.  He made it worse - I could wear heels before, now I can't. I also can no longer do high impact exercise b/c the injections messed it up so badly. I switched to flats, and got orthotics and arch supports. I have super high arches, but adding the supports helps w/ nerve issues.

Get your feet measured again. Like w/ bras, most women don't wear the right size shoe.  Your feet do get bigger, and arches can fall, over time, even if you don't have kids.  Orthotics from CVS work great - it's a 110% improvement. I just get ones by ProFoot.

I also found that adding vitamin E and fish oil made a huge difference in foot issues. As did soaking them in Epsom salt [b/c of the potassium].  Getting foot massages is a godsend as well. I was in sneakers for weeks, and have only been able to wear normal shoes for about 2 months now [my feet went nuts in August and I was in sneaks through Sept].  I only started going back to the gym last month after being out of commission for close to 2 months.

Good luck! Foot pain totally stinks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was going to say that my feet have gone from 7 1/2 to an 8 over the last few years.  I thought it was my imagination, or that shoe sizes changed or something.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

This has been one of my biggest fears since before we were even ready to have kids. I may be exaggerating a little bit, but I have been seriously worried about it. I know that sounds crazy, but I was already an 11, grew to a 12 when I was training for the marathon. My feet can't get any bigger! It's already impossible to find shoes!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Go to a podiatrist and get this checked out, they may be able to do something, or perhaps you should wait a little longer.

I have Morton's Neuromas in both of my feet - and I have been very successful with the injections of ethyl alcohol, they are getting smaller and I'm in much less pain than I was for the last year.  First I went to a podiatrist who misdiagnosed, so did cortisone shots which are NOT the way to treat it, and didn't help it. Also you can't have too many cortisone shots.  Went to a different podiatrist and am finally getting relief.  I also have orthotics, and have been in sneakers for months.  I can put heels on, but for a very short time.  These have been growing and developing for years.

My friend has plantar fascaeitis (or however it's spelled, I'm too lazy to look it up on the web) and has had success with the foot braces (sold at CVS or other pharmacies) and orthotics and now she's doing physical therapy because she exhausted the # of shots she could do and really doesn't want to have surgery on her feet.  Also she has bone spurs. 

Our feet take lots of abuse, given we jump on them, run on them, pound them through exercise, squeeze them into tiny toe boxed shoes with high heels, putting lots of pressure on the balls of our feet, etc.  Poor women's feet!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

I wore closed shoes the entire summer before my first was born because I thought my feet would automatically spread to as big as they could get!  I was much more lax with #2 now, but haven't had any shoe size increase.  I am noticing that with number two I am getting crazy cramping in my feet and legs that I didn't have the first time around.  I am wearing more flats this time (how in 2 years have pg fashions changed so much that my pants are the same size but now much shorter and I can't wear heels?).  I'm a big high heel wearer for work attire, but maybe my issues are coming from wearing the flats.  I'm going to a wedding this weekend and am actually looking forward to some good night's sleep since I'll be in heels and standing a lot for 2 nights in a row (but also sharing a bed with my 2 year old, so maybe a good night's sleep is still far from attainment).  Anyway, yes, feet can grow and it's happened to most of my friends.  I believe my mom's arches fell during her 2nd pregnancy, but with the right shoe, you can make it work.  Good luck, foot issues are bad news and a major discomfort. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I read this thread yesterday, but it didn't occur to me until last night that I have had cramping in my left foot for a the past couple months.  Hope it isn't an early sign of something.  One of my feet is actually 1/2 a size bigger so maybe they will even out during pregnancy!

Funny you should say that hotcinnababy because all of my maternity pants are WAY too long, like 3 inches.  I bought some of that hem tape that you iron on, but have been too lazy so far.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Count me as another foot growing Neuroma sufferer... mine isn't Morton's, it's one toe over, but same deal. One round of cortizone didn't help much, better shoes did (lots of padding in the ball of the foot, and wide enough - I like Ariat and Keene) They aren't always sexy, but neither is pain.  I was TTC so I didn't get the other injections yet (now waiting until done BF!) so it's been a long time.  You can actually see mine when looking at my foot!  I haven't been able to run but the eliptical seems ok - been back on that for a few weeks.  Looking forward to a more permanent solution though!

For me, it was caused by wearing bare feet and flip flops during my pregnancy and mat leave (oops!) so I am now a BIG fan of better shoes, flats or otherwise

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

My feet grew by a half size, and stayed that way (my "baby" is 14). 

The best advice I can give you is buy quality shoes from now on.  Your Payless days are over (if they ever existed).  Arch supports can do wonders for you.  A decent breathable leather shoe is your friend.  Pointy toed shoes can be fine if you have long toes like I do making nice cushy shoes like Danskos and Born unwearable because of the toe shape. 

Try on quality shoes until you find a brand you like that fits you well from the start.  Good shoes don't have breaking in period -- if they are uncomfortable they will stay uncomfortable. 

Good luck and enjoy this amazing time in your baby's life!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

One more thing -- for stretching and arching your feet if you've been wearing primarily heels or primarily flats, put a full cold soda can on the floor and roll in back and forth along the arch of your foot.  It's wonderful coling and the stretching/arching required to push it out and pull it back relaxes your foot muscles. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kristen2678. Show kristen2678's posts

I also had lots of foot pain during and following pregnancy. I also gained 62lbs. Once the extra weight went away, so did the pain. I'm still a half shoe size bigger though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayanl5. Show mayanl5's posts

My foot seemed to shrink a half size actually. But I do seem to have major foot issues now. I have found the brand Merrell to be really good. I can't buy cheap/cute shoes anymore. I also starting wearing MBT's, though expensive, are supposed to be really good. Wow --I thought I was the only one with foot problems post-birth!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Superfeet insoles are pricey, but they do the job.  Highly recommend even in high end shoes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Superfeet are awesome, but you can't fit them in dress shoes.  I know; I've tried! :-(  Sneakers and maybe boots, but they don't fit in dress shoes unless you have really wide feet.  ProFoot [or ProFeet - I'm not taking off my boots to check] orthotics from CVS work just as well in dress shoes.  The ladies' ones are designed for dress shoes and boots. 

Another good shoe maker for sad feet is Sofft.  You can get them at DSW if you are lucky. Hushpuppies and Ann Klein Flex make some cute flats too. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'm so glad I asked this question! Wow, I had no idea this was so common.

I'm going to try the foot stretches and arch supports. I think I may need to buy new shoes for work very soon...I haven't attempted heels in a very long time and haven't missed them one bit!