Going from Bassinet to Crib

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Going from Bassinet to Crib

So I am hoping for some advice for transferring my DS from his bassinet to his crib.  He is 2 1/2 months currently.  Right now I am putting him down in his crib for one of his two daily naps.  However, he always wakes himself up after 1/2 hour to an hour either because he is kicking his feet or has lost his pacifier.  Usually he naps for 2 or 3 hours.  I'm not sure if right now is the best time to be doing this.  He has been very off this week (possible growth spurt?) waking up at night and crying for an hour, or just not going down at night like he usually does and eating a ton.  I'm also wondering if it is too early, maybe I should wait a little longer.  Currently I was just thinking of getting him used to his room and his crib.

What have some of you done with your LOs when transferring to a crib?  How old were they?  Suggestions on what to do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

Re: Going from Bassinet to Crib

My son was 2 months old when he went into the crib.  He slept there at night, but still took naps in the swing usually. He hated the bassinet, it wasn't very comfortable and not a lot of room. He just went from the bassinet one day to the crib the next with no problems and lucky for us he loves his crib. Except he is now at the age where he is standing and trying to escape.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

My daughter went into her crib around 3 months old.  She liked it much better than the bassinet because she could stretch her arms out to her sides and the crib was better for her "wingspan"!  One thing to try may be a mobile.  One of the reasons my daughter loves her crib is because she LOVES the mobile and loves to watch it spin around while the music plays.  Her bassinet did not have the mobile.  This lulls her right to sleep.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

We moved DD between 6-8 weeks old because she was out-growing her bassinet, once we moved her to the crib she started sleeping thru the night from like 11-7.  She loved the freedom the crib offered her compared to the bassinet. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We kept our daughter in a cosleeper next to the bed for six months and very reluctantly moved her to a crib in her own room when falling over the side became a danger. Every baby is different, and you are the expert  on your baby -- nobody knows him as well as you do. If you think it's too early, then I would go with that instinct. Are you breastfeeding? A breastfed infant can smell his mother's milk from 20-40 feet. For some, it's a distraction; for others, it's a comfort. It could be that the baby misses your smell. He could miss the sound of you rustling around nearby. Have you tried putting a shirt with your scent in with him? Have you used a white noise machine or fan?
    You also might want to consider that there's no real "normal" for  about 6 months. He'll do great for a couple weeks, then be a total disaster for a week, then great again but with a totally different schedule and set of conditions, etc. And every time it switches you'll think it's permanent. It's torture! But then all of a sudden he's talking and you're wondering where the last year went.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Everyone has already mentioned excellent suggestions.

I'm wondering ...is there a reason to switch him now or do you just feel like you should. If he's waking up every 1/2 hour and cries more than 5 minutes when his binky falls out I would think you would be spending half the night walking between his room and yours. I might keep him with me until this phase passes.

FWIW, we just set up the crib in our room for DD and she loves to spread eagle and wiggle around. She does need the extra wiggle room, but to be honest, I'm heading back to work and am bothered by how little time I'll have with her - so she's staying in our room until the spring (our house is old and drafty anyway).

Just wanted to give you another perspective or an excuse to keep him with you if that's what will work best for you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

ML -- I'd say that our decision to keep our daughter in the cosleeper for six months was as much about my needs as hers!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm loving all of these posts from you ladies with babies around the same age as mine!

I don't really have advice, but we're contemplating making the bassinette-to-crib change within the next month (baby will be 4 weeks tomorrow), partially because I cannot get any decent sleep with her in with us.  As soon as I put her in her bassinet after her middle of the night feedings she likes to have her pacifier to soothe her to sleep, and whenever it falls out she cries until I put it back in.  So I spend my nights with my arm slung over the side of the bassinet and just last night I started waking sporadically during the time she was asleep because my arm was aching so badly!  I'm hoping that her crib with a nice soothing mobile will alleviate her need for the pacifier.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Poppy, can you help her find her fingers? Maybe she can learn to self-soothe with her fingers and stop waking you for the pacifier.

By which I mean, sucking on her fingers. It was very comforting for my daughter, anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm trying that but it hasn't really caught on yet... her hands are still in fists so I think it's less satisfying than if she could get a couple of fingers.  A few times she's accidentally gotten her thumb and s ucks enthusiastically for about 5 seconds until she pulls it out again and it disappears inside the other fingers.  HOpefully within the next week or two her hands will start to uncurl?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh yeah, I think so! Once they get a taste of  handburger there's no going back. Delicious!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh my god, tiny little uncurled baby fists. I'll bet she's just as cute as can be.

I like when they wave their arms and get all freaked out like, "What the h3ll was  that?"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

She is awfully cute, but then again I'm biased. :)  We've been working on fingers-in-mouth all evening as she's needed soothing... but at the moment the pacifier is winning.  She's all wired like she's had a shot of espresso, and her arms are all tense so she keeps flailing and hitting herself and me in the face.  It is funny, but also upsetting because she's so bewildered about what's happening.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Have you tried one-arm swaddling?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Lemon--that's such a cute picture!!!

We just started with the crib from day 1.  We moved into DS's room as we did with DD back in the day and never looked back.  We'll stay there until April.  I think that you can just try the crib and see what happens.  I don't think that the kids seem to care as much as we always think they will when you do some sort of transition (i.e. stop swaddling, stop the white noise etc.).  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Going from Bassinet to Crib:
    [QUOTE]Lemon--that's such a cute picture!!!
    Posted by Lostgrouse[/QUOTE]

I love it too. I have hundreds of swaddling photos because I was so proud of myself for mastering it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Lemon - It's good to hear there are other mothers completely obsessed with their babies! I can see why, cute pic!

Poppy - at 4 weeks I think DD loved her binky - like you said, curled and skinny fingers. Now, at 12 weeks she is loving the hand and makes the funniest slurping noises with her hands.

What I found to be the best way to get rid of the binky was...to order personalized pacifiers. I swear, as soon as she had them and I wanted her to use them because they were so cute, she lost interest!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

ML isn't that always the way!! Regarding your question about the thoughts of moving him. He is starting to get too big for his bassinet.  His arms hit the sides which kind of startles him and he wiggles so much (its a rocking bassinet) and so the bassinet moves and again I think that startles and wakes him.  I love that it rocks when I put him back in after nursing because it is soothing but then he moves and it moves when he is asleep and wakes him.  Unfortunately it doesn't have any way to stop it from rocking either. 

Poppy I had to laugh at the pacifier thing because it is the same with me.  Once he wakes for his like 2am feeding I am pretty much then awake a lot putting it back in.  Its like he just doesn't go back to sleep as well as he was before that feeding and when he loses the pacifier he starts to cry.  I do want to get away from the pacifier and he does have a lot more control over his hands now so I am trying really hard to let him get his hands to his mouth rather than give him the pacifier.  The cutest thing ever is when he uses his other hand to help him hold the hand he is sucking on in his mouth longer!!!  I can't wait for him to uncurl his hands more...currently at almost 11 weeks they are still pretty curled up but he is opening them a lot more!!

Thanks all for the suggestions!  Some friends also recommended moving his bassinet into his room so he can adjust to his room but like I said I feel like his bassinet is more the problem than anything else which is why I was thinking of making the move.  I really love having him beside me and we usually cuddle after is early morning feedings around 5:30-6am - not that I can't still do that.  I also am not loving the idea of having to go get him when he wakes to nurse as he still wakes to nurse a couple of times a night.  When do I get to sleep through the night again!?! Just one night of at least 5-6 straight hours would be nice!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

LLLE, can you move the crib into your room? Sounds like that could be the best of both worlds.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

Oh the binky...such a love/hate relationship!  The one thing I have found which helps with the problem of it falling out at night is to take it out myself once DD falls asleep.  I very slowly extract the bink and it seems to eliminate it falling out and waking her up.  Sometimes I do have to put it back in if she wakes and fusses, but then I just wait and take it out again! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Jewels it is funny you say that as I am currently doing that!!  He tends to drop his pacifier when he is asleep asleep and so I take it and put it on my nightstand.  I think I rely more on the paci then he does...I tend to stick it in his mouth before really assessing if he needs it which I need to stop doing! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

I hear you about trying to hold back on giving it.  I realize that when I give it to her and she pops it right back out!  The other day she projectile spit it onto the floor from her swing!  I'm also hoping my little one will eventually lose interest in the binky once she can keep her hands in her mouth. 

In terms of transferring into the crib, I'm planning to do it once I go back to work in a month, when she is three months.  It is going to be SO hard because I love having her beside me all night....plus we also cuddle in the morning :)  Right now she's taking occasional naps in the crib just to get her used to it.  That's a whole other issue though, as she is getting really used to napping with movement - ie. swing, carseat.  It never ends!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Lemon - so sorry didn't respond to you before unfortunately our bedroom is not big enough for the crib.

Jewels - I hear you on the movement thing and the binky thing!!  He loves napping in his swing...it's a go to when he won't sleep at night or wakes up and won't go back down.  The hands are getting closer and closer to staying in the mouth...it is so funny right now he s*cks on his left hand and uses the right hand to help hold it there!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

LLLE~ 
    Our little guy is 12 weeks, and we transitioned him to his crib at 8 weeks. I wanted to get him used to the crib so he'd have an easy transition when he goes to daycare.  He had been sleeping in a swing due to reflux up until that point in the same room as us.  We ended up putting the pack n play in his room first for a week (we thought it would be easier to start in a smaller crib and work up to the real one).  He did great in that, and then when we put him in his real crib it went great. 

As for sleeping, I'm right there with you...sleeping through the night seems like a pipe dream!  Last night was the best night yet since he was born though.  He was asleep by 8, woke up at midnight to feed, and then slept 1-6!  Crossing fingers it will continue.  He's been doing better sleeping overall the past week and 1/2, but before that he would get up at least 3 X a night.  Augh!