January Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

January Infants and Toddlers

Happy New Year, everyone! How were everyone's festivities? DH and I were in our pajamas on the couch with sleeping pug and a sleeping baby, watching movies and drinking goldschlager with vanilla cream soda (which is DELICIOUS. You're welcome).

DD is 9 weeks and has had the most ridiculous diaper rash from the beginning.We've tried everything--changing frequently, switching to dry wipes, various types of diapers, butt paste, triple paste, A&D, and the pedi gave us bacitracin and clostra-something. Nothing has helped and I feel so bad; she must be so uncomfortable. MIL suggested having her sit in corn starch and water, so we'll try that tonight. Has anyone else dealt with persevering diaper rash?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from malw. Show malw's posts

Re: January Infants and Toddlers

Try dr smiths  if you haven't.  We had awful diaper rash that it cleared up in two days. After nothing else had touched it...   Only catch, hard to find - only place I've found is amazon.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from malw. Show malw's posts

Actually, another thingif you didn't try.  I wound up using seventhgeneration diapers.  My daughter was ridiculously sensitive to any other diaper.  Don't know what these didn't have but seventh gen and dr smiths became my "go to".  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Our pediatrician suggested using just plain water and soft cloth for wipes instead of any "baby wipe" product.  Sounds like you already tried that though?  

DD has not had a terrible rash yet, but what has solved her mild problems is putting the Earth Mama, Angel Baby bottom balm on after every diaper change.  I'm not sure it will solve your problem though--that sounds like a serious rash! I will note that it doesn't rely on zinc oxide, which is the active ingredients in the products youve tried, so it would be a different option.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

clotraminazole is for fungus/yeast (my eczema-prone daughter has had every type of rash and every type of cream known to man so far sigh), so if possible, airing out once in a while will probably help.  In addition to the corn starch bath, you can try baking soda in the bath, which works wonders on my dd's other skin issues.  If you use any zinc-based product make sure she's totally dry completely, totally dry, before you put it on.  In the summer it will get better because you'll be able to let her run around naked outside with a long tshirt on and air out a bit, maybe fertilize the yard, her skin will be so much better so much quicker. Winter is the worst. Good luck.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

WPP - our pedi has us make a little concoction for diaper rash: desitin, athlete's foot ointment, hydrocortisone, antibiotic ointment and Maalox. Mix it all together in a container and slather it on. I did a layer of that on DS then a layer of cornstarch and finally a layer of Vaseline on the diaper. It created a barrier so the diaper didn't touch his bum. the rash looked better after one day but took 4 days of that routine before it was actually gone. We also did baking soda baths and tried to do airtime. Good luck!! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

clotriminazole is the main ingredient in athlete's foot cream, so it sounds like that makes sense.  I wonder what the maalox is for? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Poor Baby WPP! My DS hasn't had too much diaper rash, but I've been really impressed with Aquafor and corn starch (not together). I put the corn starch on him at bed time. I couldn't believe how well it worked. I've heard about Maalox for cutting down the acidity in the urine. Kinda makes sense so she's not making it worse every day. I love those random home remedies! FWIW, I've also heard breast milk works wonders for diaper rash. I've never tried it but some mamas swear by it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks for all the diaper rash suggestions! I'll start going down the list. Something has to work!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

WPP, the only thing that cleared up my DS's horrible rash for good was switching to Seventh Generation diapers. No matter what combinations of creams we use, if he's in any other diapers the rash always comes back. Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

WPP - has the rash been seen by your pedi?  It could be that it's actually a yeast infection that would require an rx cream.  It is worth a look I would think.  We did bring my DS into the pedi because his was so bad.  He was bleeding and screaming every time we changed him but for him there was no yeast in the rash so they didn't do the RX.

Also, not sure what temp your DD likes her baths but I found when DS had the rash we really had to drop the temperature of the bath water.  He generally likes the 90-93 degree range but with the rash he was more comfortable with it around 86 or so.  (Obviously I have that tutle thing that tells you the temp, freaking love that thing!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

WPP - When DS diaper rash gets really bad, I use hydrocortisone then cover with A&D.  That usually helps.  I also agree with a baking soda bath and NOT using baby wipes.  Like CLC said - it could be a yeast infection...might be worth a call to the doctor.  Good Luck, diaper rash is the worst!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

My cousin used liquid Maalox too for her 3 (though her first got the terrible rashes).  She was told to try it by her doctor after all of the typical ointments did not work.  She swears by it.  Her pedi told her to apply it with a cotton ball and just like Chiclet said, it has to do with cutting down the acidity.

What I don't know is if it was applied with anything else - as that would make the most sense.  Good luck!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTMum. Show CTMum's posts

You have lots of good suggestions here and I'm sure you will find a solution.  But I'll add one more to the list: We dealt with a horrible recurring yeast infecton diaper rash with my older daughter.  We tried every type of diaper, ointment, three different types of prescrptions (and multiple visits to the dermatologist).

Ultimately, for us, what worked was a combination of hydrocortizone ointment (when the rash was really red, angry, bleeding, and raw - to clam the irritation) and TriplePasteAF - a special antifungal version of diaper ointment. The TriplePasteAF is tough to find. You can ask your pharmacist to special order it. You can order it from Amazon. Or you can order it directly from SummerLabs.  And it is expensive.  About $20 for a 2 ounce tube.  But worth every last cent for the relief it offered our daughter.

Good luck. Diaper rashes are wretched.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

I agree with everyone who's mentioned the baking soda baths. My DD doesn't get terribly bad rashes, but when she does, it's the only thing that will actually heal it. I've also discovered that she breaks out in rashes when she wears Pampers diapers. We use Target brand and otherwise never have an issue, until I get a coupon for Pampers and give them a go...within days, it's rash city! I've learned my lesson.

New Years for us was pretty boring...DH and I had mediocre Chinese food (mass orders for the restaurants means they can't keep up the quality...boo!) and some wine, and watched the ridiculous New Years TV. We had all of our parents over for a nice New Years Day dinner of turkey and pot roast, a tradition which I hope we will continue.

It's only January and I'm dying for winter to be over...I miss playing outside, going for walks, and doing fun outdoor things with DD. There's only so many episodes of Barney to watch and pretend meals to make in the play kitchen...!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

WPP, so sorry to hear that.  My DD had one from the beginning as well and air time helped immensely.  It was easier because it was summer, but maybe some sort of baby leg warmers??  I feel like there are so many different types of rashes... I have heard that if it is fungal, barrier creams (like with zinc) can even make it worse because they don't let the skin breathe.  The good news is that once we solved DD's, it didn't recur often.

DS is 8 months now and his teeth are making the whole family miserable.  At least I think that's what it is.  I can't find any other problems with him.  He was sick with a fever on the 31st-1st during the holiday and improving during the snowstorm, so we never went to the doctor, but then he seemed to be healthy again.  But he has been waking up a ton at night and was even cranky during the day yesterday.  Does this seem extreme to anyone?  I am thinking of taking him to the doctor, but I already have missed a lot of work since daycare was closed for holiday break and then Thursday/Friday for snow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Med - that actually sounds about right to me but it's worth a call to the pedi to see what's going around.  The last time we were in that situation I called and they said to give it a few more days.  They suggested motrin and said if that seemed to help then to consider the issue to be teething but if Motrin wasn't effective then it was probably sick and needed to be seen.  They were right, two days of Motrin and a new tooth came through and he was back to his happy self.

I found out on Dec 30th that I'm newly pg with #2 so NYE was spent fake drinking with another couple at our house.  Luckily for me the wife had worked all day and was beat so they left at 10:45.  I was in bed asleep by 11:15.  I don't remember being this tired when I was pregnant with DS but man I'm wiped!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I know I already said it but CONGRATS - clc!!!

DS had his 18 month appointment today!  Cant believe that he is already a year and half! He grew 1.5 inches since Oct. and is 97% for height.  And gained 2 lbs for a total of 25lb 13 oz - 70 %.  Believe me I can tell...luckily he is very active and doesnt want to be carried all that much.    

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

CLC - Congrats again! :-)

Pugs - Yay for a good appointment. How tall is your DS now? The way mine is growing, I'm afraid I'm going to have a 3 ft one year old! I totally need to move him up to the convertable car seat but I'm so sad to be giving up the convenience of getting him all warm and snuggled in his bucket seat and just plopping him in the base. I don't want to be buckling him in the car in the freezing cold!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks ladies!! Pugs, sounds like a great appointment. Congrats! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I found out on Dec 30th that I'm newly pg with #2 so NYE was spent fake drinking with another couple at our house.  Luckily for me the wife had worked all day and was beat so they left at 10:45.  I was in bed asleep by 11:15.  I don't remember being this tired when I was pregnant with DS but man I'm wiped!

[/QUOTE]

Congrats!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Chiclet - he is 34.5 inches tall.  He had to change him into the convertible seat a long time ago.  He was way to heavy to carry in the bucket seat!  But I know what you mean...its cold outside!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Pugs - He's so tall! They say that babies grow half of their birth length by their first birthday. If that's the case, my DS will be 33 inches! He was 27.5 at his 6 month appointment. I can't wait to see what he'll be at his 9 month! With his daddy's height and his mama's French-Canadian thighs, the NHL is going to be knocking on our door in a few years! Smile

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

CLC- Congrats!!  Exciting holiday news for you!

I'm back at work.  Ugh.  DS2 is only 7 1/2 weeks, and started daycare today.  I was SOO SAD...weeping in the parking lot.  I didn't think it would affect me this much.  He's just so little.  I'm working part time in Jan... T,W,Th... so he'll be with my MIL on Tuesdays and daycare Wed and Thurs.  Then in Feb when I'm back full time my MIL will add Mondays and daycare will add Fridays.  Figured that was a nice balance, and still allows my MIL to get to know him like she did with our first.  My MIL had DS1 5 days a week for the first year, but we all thought that was too much for her now, and driving to two different places 5 days a week would be too hard on me (DS1 is at preschool at the same center).  She has become my hero grandmother since my mom is just a huge fail in that role.  The close relationship that DS1 has with her (and my FIL) is just so awesome now - they do sleepovers and he has no fear about staying away from home.  And I really want DS2 to hopefully be as close with them. 

I have my "6 week" appointment today, even though its a week after.  I feel totally back to normal, and looking forward to trying to get a gym workout in on Friday.  BFing is going really well.  We'll see how he does today with the bottles.  He's had plenty before and does ok... he likes them as warm as safely possible so we'll see if daycare is able to do that.  Otherwise he spits it out (unlike my DS1 who would drink any temp... even straight from fridge).  Pumping has been good too.  I'm very proud of my frozen stash, which I started early since he was going to daycare so early this time around (I had 13 weeks off with DS1).  Just finishing my first morning pump and looks like I've got about 9oz.  I'm guessing DS2 will take between 12-15oz during daycare (he's on-demand so its a guess right now).  So let's see how long I can keep up with this :-)

And, I got my first 4 hour stretch of sleep last night - I was smart and went to bed immediately after he fell asleep!  The night before he was miserable for some reason and was up every hour.  That was unbelievably hard.  I think just an upset belly as I changed many diapers through the night.  But 9:30pm-1:30am last night was true bliss. (and then a 4:30am and 6:20am... but that's ok).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Congrats, Clc! So exciting! 

IPW, hugs to you! The first week will be the hardest, and just remember your DS is in good, loving hands.

My DS is going to be 2 next month. On the one hand, I can't believe it. On the other, as DH says "It seems like he's been 2 for awhile now." He's talking up a storm and starting to put rudimentary sentences together. He's got a great sense of humor and is super energetic. He's also super impatient -- e.g. if he's in his high chair for more than 5 seconds before I put his food down, he starts whining and then full-out crying. It's this way with pretty much anything he asks for, including when he's ready to leave somewhere and repeats "Bye bye!" with increasing franticness/whininess. Oof. Time to start introducing some of Karp's "patience-stretching." DH and I also realized we've been catering to it by preparing his meals sneakily so he doesn't know it's coming until it's ready to serve. This helps us avoid whining, but we realized we need to start showing him that he DOES actually have to wait for some things. Hopefully it'll start to work! 

We're going to start "trying" for #2 in a month or so. I put that in quotes because I have every intention of relaxing this time around and just letting it happen when/if it happens. It's pretty ridiculous for me to even think I can be so relaxed about...anything...but, new year, new you, right?

One of the side effects of the decision to start trying is a total loss of patience with my work situation. I'm not crazy about my job, I have an hour+ commute, and I have to get up super-early in order to be home to pick up DS. I can't see this working for me at all with 2 kids, but we're also not in a position where I could just stop working, so I'm going to need to start looking at other options.