July Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: July Infants and Toddlers

ALS - that was *exactly* how I had thought I'd feel.  I didn't love DD's newborn time, and would always say how great it was from 18 months up.  I was so shocked when all I wanted was for my beloved two year old to go away so I could be with DS.  Both your feeling and mine are captured to a T in that book!

I do thonk one factor is DD only goes to daycare 2 days.  Normally my mom watches her another two days at our house.  Even though my mom still came one day a week while I was on leave, DD was still around a lot.  So it was nothing like leave with DD where it was 5 days a week, 7 to 7, of just us.  It's really two days a week, 9 to 5, that is my real alone time with the baby.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ha, Medford, I need to get that book.

I won't chime in too much on the 1-2 kids transition because I'm sure you've all heard enough about that from me. But, IPW, I am also an only child and I *absolutely love* watching the sibling bond between my two. It's SO cool. You are going to love it. One other tip and then I'm done: anyone who has recently had a new baby (especially a second baby) or will be in the fall, give yourself a break over the holidays. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to make them perfect.

Did anyone else have a 1 year old suddenly start waking up in the middle of the night after transitioning specifically from *formula* to whole milk? DS has been on formula exclusively for about 3 months, and we are transitioning to whole milk and I'm wondering if it's not as filling. I'm rather bummed since he *just* started sleeping through the night about a week and a half ago, and now we're up again. I am going to try holding strong and not giving him that feeding at 4am, but this morning he was crying on an off from 3:30-5am. That is too long. I went in twice to hold him, and gave him some water, but I wondered if he truly was hungry. He's not screaming; just fussing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to poppy609's comment:

Ha, Medford, I need to get that book.

I won't chime in too much on the 1-2 kids transition because I'm sure you've all heard enough about that from me. But, IPW, I am also an only child and I *absolutely love* watching the sibling bond between my two. It's SO cool. You are going to love it. One other tip and then I'm done: anyone who has recently had a new baby (especially a second baby) or will be in the fall, give yourself a break over the holidays. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to make them perfect.

Did anyone else have a 1 year old suddenly start waking up in the middle of the night after transitioning specifically from *formula* to whole milk? DS has been on formula exclusively for about 3 months, and we are transitioning to whole milk and I'm wondering if it's not as filling. I'm rather bummed since he *just* started sleeping through the night about a week and a half ago, and now we're up again. I am going to try holding strong and not giving him that feeding at 4am, but this morning he was crying on an off from 3:30-5am. That is too long. I went in twice to hold him, and gave him some water, but I wondered if he truly was hungry. He's not screaming; just fussing.

My DD didn't do that, and she also transitioned from formula to milk. I know the amount goes down a bit (my pedi says no more than 20 oz/milk per day), so maybe he's not eating enough solid foods? I know it's hard on days when they eat like birds and it seems like they'll wake up hungry, but I think they adjust...

Could it be teething? Is he starting to stand/cruise/walk? Those could be affecting him, too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Summer, we have the same thing happen from time to time - on and off crying/whining around 4am. If I go in to check on her she is almost always still asleep. Usually it coincides with a tooth, and I know consider it to be part of what I call her "teething pattern."  Not sure where you fall on the binky scale, but that usually does the trick for DD and she settles.  If I go in and she is actually awake, that's usually hunger (or occasionally but not very often a p00p) and she'll take about 4 oz and go right back to sleep.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

thanks, Summer. My DD didn't do this either. He has recently become a more picky eater, and I do suspect it could be because of teething (fingers always in his mouth, lots of drooling). I think I'll try giving him some whole fat yogurt (plain, if he'll eat it, with some fruit) just before bed and bottle.

Nov - I'm not sure if your post was in response to mine or not, but DS is fully standing, fussing/whining when he wakes between 3-5am. Throws the binky on the floor. Clearly wants the bottle, but I'm not sure if it's actual hunger, or a habit he recently got out of but seems suddenly to want again, hence my wondering if milk is less filling than formula. Going to try to stay strong and not give the bottle, but it's hard when he keeps me awake from 3:30-5am, like this morning! (and that's with our door closed and no monitor)

This too shall pass...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Is his pooping schedule thrown off from the formula/milk change? I feel like sometimes it's the digestive stuff that is waking them up more than hunger, they just think "eh, what the heck, I'm already up, I might as well see what I can get out of this."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Yep, poppy, I meant you.  sorry...