Look for job first or daycare?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

Look for job first or daycare?

I am currently a SAHM and am going to transition back to work in the next year. I just have 1 child, almost 1 1/2 years old.

So what should I do first? Should I look for a job first, get the job, and then find a daycare? Or find the daycare first and then try to find a job afterwards?

Is there usually a waitlist for daycares? How do I start going about looking for one? Any recommendations (I live in Peabody, off 128)??

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Look for job first or daycare?

I would think that you should look for a job first. You have no idea how long the job search could take.  Generally, there are wait lists for daycare for newborns, not usually older children (but i am sure it depends where you go).  Some places are going to ask for a deposit and pick a start date for when you would start paying.  So you could end up with a daycare bill and no job...   Good luck in the job search. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

a lot of what you will pick for daycare will depend on your commute and which direction you are going. and some workplaces have discounts or inhouse daycares, so that would also be a good reason to wait as they can include discounts.

one other thought- you really need to know your hourly schedule to pick a place. Some open early but close at 5, some open later, some have extended hours, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

I would say start looking but keep options open ie: look at places in different locations, with different hours etc and get an idea what they have for spaces.  I think it would be a lot harder if you find a job and they want you to start in a week to then scramble to find a place you really like.  Where as if you have a few options in mind you can scope out availability etc and when you get your job offer you have a few to choose from.  
    The Mass Govt has a website for Early Education I think the initials are EEC and you can search for centers and home providers using your zipcode to start calling around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

We just started this week at the kindercare in Peabody. Great long hours, 6:30am-6pm, and seems to have space in the toddler and two's classroom. But in agree, narrow down the job location and hours first so you know your commute.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Get the job first - it will dictate where you want the daycare and what kind of hours you need.
    Who knows - you may find a job with in-house services!
    Good luck with both searches.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I would say the job first. Its pretty easy to find a spot for a toddler (defined as over 15 months) in daycare.  I also agree with the other the job dictating hours you will need, location, etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I don't see why you can't do both.  Interview at daycares and for jobs.  That way if you get a job offer you already know where your daycare preferences lie.