May Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: May Infants and Toddlers

I found filing with those nice big soft files at the CVS or similar to be easier than managing those little clippers.
    And a friend of mine just bites her baby's nails!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Crying it out question.  DS is 19 mths.  He is starting to understand stalling at bedtime.  One more story, point out the planes on the wall again, tuck me in with this blanket, no that blanket, no this blanket.  He has always been so good and in his lifetime so far we've probably only really needed cry it out 4-5 times.  Mostly when he was very young.  Last night, after switching the blankets 4 times, realizing he was just stalling and there was nothing wrong, I left the room.  Had blood curdling screams for abot 4 minutes - he was truly ticked off.  Then he settled down and went to sleep.  I seem to recall reading once on here that at some point cry it out isn't a good idea?  Was it at a certain age?  Did I dream that suggestion?  Anyone know?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IPW, I can't answer your question, but if it worked in 4 minutes, I'd say you had great success worth repeating that can't possibly be damaging him.  If it took 4 minutes the first time he'll give up even sooner the next...unless you play his game in the meantime.  Regardless of what the "official" guidance is of any expert, you had indisputable success with your LO (if you believe at all in CIO) that shouldn't be challenged by an age chart based on averages.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

IPW - I think you did the right thing. It's easy to fall into the "just one more..." routine. At a certain point you just have to say "no more, night night" and leave the room.
    I may have been the one who said it didn't work too well once they were two. At two, my son went through a phase where he woke in the night and needed me. Turned out it was better to go in and settle him for the 4 to 6 weeks it went on then to try and make him get over it himself via CIO.

But I would certainly try a little CIO in your case.  Pick a routine and stick to it. Choose a blankie, 2 stories, one song and nighty-night. Or whatever you decide.

Routines change over time as your children grow. We had to make changes to allow for last minute potty trips and when we moved to big kid beds.
    Right now, my son likes me to stay with him while he falls asleep. It's a new thing, but thankfully pretty easy as he's been drifting off in about 5 minutes at bedtime. The silver lining to a kid who has stopped napping!
    Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

IPW - sounds like a stunning success to me!  I find that if I really start giving in it gets worse and worse and then when you are desperate and need to CIO it takes much longer.  I think it is much better for you and your little one to nip it in the bud. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Thanks guys.  Last night he tried the same "this blanket, no that blanket."  I told him pick one, tucked him in, and said goodnight.  There was a small wimper, but no tears.  So I think not giving in is the right call, even if there are a few tears.

Another new question.  Rash/sun guard shirts.  I need to buy some new ones this year as DS has outgrown last years' shirts.  The real rash guards (slippery almost soft rubber like texture) are pretty expensive.  I got a catalogue that is selling "UV T-shirts".  They are cotton and claim to block UPF 50.  They are much cheaper.  Anyone tried these?  I'd imagine I would still put sunscreen on underneath, but guessing they may be cooler for LO.  We have a big camping trip in July, a week long.  So no washing machines.  Would love to have several of the T shirts rather then buying 3-4 rash guards for over $100.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There is NO DOUBT you are doing the right thing, IPW.  A wimper last night after a 4 minute cry the night before?  PERFECT.  Pretty soon he won't even bother playing the blanket game; he'll know there's no point.

Check out www.coolibar.com for SPF clothing of all sorts for the whole family.  I don't think they have "rash guard" stuff, but they have a lot of great stuff for reasonable prices.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW, good job.  Also, I remember that thread, and it was definitely *not* that it was bad to do CIO after a certain age.  It was more that it was not always the most effective option for kids after 2 years having a sleep regression.  Anyway, sounds like you did a nice job with the limits.

I don't know about the sun t-shirts, but I wanted to tell you that I have seen rash guards at old navy and carters for $10-12 each.  I also got a swim set (rash guard plus bottoms) at BJ's for cheap.  The brand was Osh Kosh and I saw the same one later in Kohl's, although I didn't check the price difference.  I have also seen some at Target, but again I don't know the price.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Just a post to say holy easy newborn.  DD is in daycare today and it is just me and the baby today.  Did I think having a newborn was hard the first time?   You wish you could have the perspective of the energy that a toddler takes when you have a newborn for the first time . DD #2 is so easy.  Actually, I think she is so much easier than #1 so I think that is why things feel so easy.  Not to mention she is healthy, not in the hospital and I had a smaller tear this time.

I think we are finally getting bf down too.  Pain is much better.  I am hoping that things are looking up to a much more enjoyable maternity leave this time around.

DD #1 is sort of breaking my heart with some of her behaviors i.e. hitting me at times but I know this is par for the course when there is a new sib around.  90% of the time she is great so I think that is more than I could ask for.

What I find is that I am sad that I cannot participate in all her fun activities just yet as we are getting the newborn thing down.  But, at a week out I think I am getting ready to bjorn the baby and go!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

LIL: Sounds like you're doing great!  Yay!  My DD was also very young when I had my DS (15.5 months apart) and I think that the first week was hardest for us - recovery from c-sec and just adjusting to the new member of the family.  After the first week we took DD out of daycare and I really enjoyed getting to spend my maternity leave with both of them!  Of course DS slept a lot and I got to spend a lot of time with DD - time that I otherwise wouldn't have had.  DD initially thought DS was a cat and liked to pet him, soon she started calling him bay-bay and loved to tickle his toes.  Now at 25 months and 9 months they are BFFs and are really starting to play together.  DS thinks DD is the funniest thing on 2 legs.  So my point is that it only gets better.  Enjoy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Congratulations, LIL!  It's great to hear insights from you (and Trouble) about the transition to 2 kids.
    LIL, I'd say if you're doing that well only a week out, you're really in business.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Medford... thanks so much for the suggestion.  Just went on Old Navy and found a few great swim items for under $10 each!  Just got about 8 items for $50! (that includes some socks :-)

LIL - yay.  Such a difference experience from DD#1.  So glad you are able to enjoy your first week home.  They always say if the first is hard, the second is easy... and vice versa.  Really seems to be true :-)  And this will be such a small blip on DD#1 radar... so no sad feelings from you.  You will all be doing such fun stuff together very soon!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yay, lil!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Just moved into a new house 2 days ago- whew! Moving with a 3yo and a 2.5 month old is no easy feat!  We hired movers this time around which made a HUGE difference but was pretty costly..

Just started using one of those playmat thingys on the floor for the baby, so fun!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

LIL - I'm so happy that you're having such a nice, relaxing time with your newborn baby girl. (and that you both are medically/physically in a better place this time around)  I'm sorry that DD1 is having some difficulty, but hope that it is short-lived. 

IPW - congrats on your success dealing with the bedtime stalling!  DD has also started to figure this out, and unfortunately I am not dealing with it as well as you are.

Hugh, Quad, and anyone else who has moved with a toddler - any advice?  DH and I are arguing about some points.  I want to buy DD a toddler bed/furniture and have her room all set up and just do the bed transition when we move.  He would rather her be in her crib (which will have to be in the bedroom assigned to DS because he'll be needing the crib around October or November, or sooner and I don't think we can move it from one room to another without dissassembling) in DS room at first, then moved into her room later.  I'm stressing about this.  It seems to me that it would be easier on her to just have 1 bedroom and do the transition once.  In general, I would like to make the transition as easy as possible on her and am looking for strategies to do this.  And ways to convince DH, if he doesn't agree.  He keeps saying, "it won't be that big a deal!" whereas I am the opposite, thinking - this is going to be a HUGE transitional time.  Not only are we moving into a new house where her Nonni and Papi won't be to shower her with additional attention, but there will soon be a new baby AND she will soon start daycare.  Am I overreacting/overthinking?  Is DH underreacting/thinking? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When women err they err on the overreacting/overthinking side, and when men err, they err on the underreacting/underthinking side.  So, maybe a little of both is going on.  Of course, you can't do things both ways at once, but both ways has its pros and cons and will work out.

I liked Marathon Movers a LOT.  Very reasonably priced, professional, and quick.  I hired them to move my things from our house to my apartment post-divorce.  I was a mess.  Had a headache in the morning and a full blown migraine by the time I got to the apartment (15 minutes ahead of them).  I was literally on the floor when they arrived.  They took my diagram/floor plan (which I recommend drawing for where you want your furniture), one said, "We'll put the bed together first," which they did and picked me up and put me in it.  They found the blankets and covered me up.  They moved the rest in total silence and FAST.  Everything was where I wanted it, and I was able to get up by the time they were done, and pay.  They said that if I hadn't been able to do that they'd have called an ambulance.  Anyway, long story, but all that to say that they are the best there is imho.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Thanks everyone!
    Poppy -  No real insight here but personally, I want to keep DD # 1 in that crib as long as humanly possible.  She loves it and can't get out.  I am not sure though, given your circumstances which would be more disruptive. I think I would really consider keeping her in the crib for now and transitioning after the move.  Oops.... did I just side with a husband????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Did I forget to say "Husband-siders need not reply"?  LOL!  No, I would love any and all advice.  I'm so anxious about all of the changes that I'm having difficulty determining the most rational courses of action.

Kar - what a sweet (and sad) story about your movers!  If we hadn't already booked movers I would call them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I have alot to catch up on with these posts, but LIL so happy (and a little jealous) that Bean #2 is such a good adaptable baby!

Poppy, FWIW, my husband owns BluelineMovers.com, a moving company in Rowley, MA with 18 years in the business - fully licensed and insured. We'll give you the same discount we give my Mother's Club, waive the deposit and the three hour minimum, and give you a reduced hourly rate. Just put "mother's club" or better yet "I'm Poppy" in the referral section. :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

OK just wondering what other moving companies charge. I cant figure out if we got ripped off or not.  We went with Able Movers simply b/c my husband worked for them back in his college days and knew they'd do a good job.  But, no discount whatsoever from them, which I was kinda hoping they'd do.  They didn't come give us the estimate until the day before the move and by then I felt we were cornered into picking them even though the pricing sounded high.  We moved from a 2700sf house to another 2700sf house (3-4 bdrm, etc).  They charged $143/hr, used 3 guys, and had a 4 hr minimum, but then added 1 hr onto whatever time they worked for "travel".  So we had them 5 hours, but they charged us for 6, so it was nearly $1k!  Still worth it and I guess its just money we have to brush under the carpet at this point.

Poppy- We used to be renters and moved yearly, so this was the 3rd move for my 3yo daughter.  I've found kids are really resilient.  This was the first move she even "questioned" (asking if we can "go home") but with a quick explanation she has been fine. I would make the bed transition now, it will be easier for you in the big picture and ultimately your free time will be a better tool for her to get over the transition!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I paid $900 to move one person's stuff from a house to an 800 ft apartment.  Plus tip.  A big tip for what they did.  I don't think you got ripped off at all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I have had horrible log in problems over and over... have basically given up trying to post regularly.

Poppy... few other things to think about. although some people swear that their kids don't escape their big kid beds for months... DS started doing it immediately. I am not sure if you guys will be on the same floor with DD? I know you are now in the same room, so even moving to another room will be a big deal for her.

whatever you wind up doing, I would suggest you start talking about it now. we found some great books on "big boy beds" which i think really helped.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy... I know you'll need a crib for the new baby in the fall, but is there any other option?  pack and play for him?
    If you can, I would put DD's existing crib in her new room.  She's pretty young to finish with the crib, and it could be a source of consistency and security in a new place.
    But also, whatever you decide, it'll be okay.  The transition could be hard, but in retrospect she will be totally fine and so will you!  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Congrats LIL on the new baby!

IPW- it sounds like you found a solution, but for everyone else, Target also has kids rashguards, and they are on sale this week (UPF 50, which blocks 98% of UV radiation according to the tag). I actually bought a boys XL for myself since we are going on vacation to Texas, and plan to spend all day at Schlitterbahn, a waterpark. It was $10 for a 3/4 length sleeve mock T-neck in an aqua color that matches my swimsuit. I combed the mall earlier looking for rashguards for women, and the only ones I found were at North Face, and they wanted $35-$50 for ones that didn't even go with my suit Frown  
    As an aside - The sun protection clothing at places like coolibar is great, but make sure that if you want to be protected in the water that you go with something like a rashguard, because I have noticed that many of the "normal" shirts have a caution that the UPF factor goes down when the fabric is wet, so I wouldn't want anyone to think they were protected and get burned.

AFM, we have switched DD to childrens Allegra, which is 12 hours non drowsy, and so far it seems to be working great. She is awake for the day, it hasn't kept her up at night, but if it did, the dosing is 12 hours, so I could go back to benadryl at night if I needed to.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So happy for your DD and family that you found her allergy relief that works great for her in every way.  What a blessing.