Milk production slowing down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Milk production slowing down

I definitely noticed a drop in production when I got my firts post-partum AF (around 8.5 months for me). It did bounce back (lots of water, oatmeal, etc.), but then decreased again everytime I got AF. I'd try the things you mentioned--certainly can't hurt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

When you pump, are you pumping until you're empty?  If not, you may need to start so that your body is getting the signals to make more milk.  If you don't pump until empty, your body gets signals that it needs to make less milk (this is fine if your supply is good, but not if you're having supply issues).

I can't speak to the AF issue, but it's possible it has something to do with it.

Any/all of those things are worth a try.  There are other, more powerful supplements available if your supply doesn't bounce back.  You can talk to an LC or I can recommend what I took, but it doesn't sound like you're there yet.  Another thing to keep in mind is that parsley, sage, basil, and mint can all contribute to decreasing milk production.  I ended up avoiding those as much as possible while I was exclusively pumping b/c of my supply problems.  If you've been eating anything with any of those ingredients recently, you may want to back off of them and see if that helps too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

You need to research galactogogues.  There are too many to go through here but the big one is fenugreek.  Take 3 capsules three times a day until you start to smell like maple syrup (that's when you know you are getting enough). lso make  ure you eliminate stuff from you diet that will hinder production like mint and parsley.  There are TONS of online resources and two good ones come to mind:

kellymoms.com
    breastfeedingonline.com

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

The LC at my moms group said milk production does drop when you get your AF.  I eat oatmeal but can't say if I feel it actually does help my production or not.  DS is happy and growing but I haven't gotten AF yet.  People in my group say they felt the fenugreek (found in the mothers milk tea by the way) does work but again I have not tried it myself. 

Oh and for those who don't know do not take sudafed ever while BFing it can totally decrease your milk supply.  A woman was crying at group because she took it without knowing not to and her supply dropped to almost nil...she was devastated.

HTH

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Until you smell like maple syrup??  That is SO interesting!
    Can maple syrup itself help?  Because I am definitely down with increasing my pancake and waffle consumption.  :)
    And thank you LLLE for the sudafed info -- I had no idea.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

AF can make your supply go down, but it should come back up when AF is over. I tried fenugreek, but I only took 3 capsules/day, I never smelled like maple syrup, and I don't think it helped much, so maybe I didn't take enough. Unfortunately, real maple syrup never seemed to affect my milk supply. Too bad, I would have preferred that to the fenugreek.
    I have also heard that oatmeal (and beer) can help, but never tried those suggestions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Thank you all so much!!  I've bought the fenugreek and I'll start with 3 capsules, 3 times per day and see if that boosts it up.  I've also got the oatmeal and I'm increasing my protein intake.  We'll see if that helps & I'll post back in a week.  I have been eating a lot of basil and mint so I'll cut that out as well.  Thank you again, I'm an older mom so I don't have any close friends with babies and God knows what I've forgotten because my next youngest is 11.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Make sure you're getting enough fluids.  If you'd back at work and stressed out you might be getting dehydrated and not realizing (especially with the heat on and drying everything even more).  Fenugreek will work.  I don'[t know about the capsules, but the tea worked really well for me (though I didn't like the taste -- tasted like fennel/anise/licorice, yuck). 

I should add I noticed a decrease in production when my girl started on solid foods.  I think she might have been drinking less at feedings without me realizing.  So maybe she's getting enough, despite the reduction.  It is tough because less each pump means more pumping sessions.  Have you tried replacing the valves on your pump?  If you haven't done that yet, you might need to.  It might be the pump.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

All great suggestions. Also, are you massaging your breasts while pumping to get every last bit? I did this to avoid blocked ducts, and it was usually good for another ounce or so. The lower outside of the breast always seemed to hold back for some reason.

Sarah mentioned this but I want to second it -- watch out for seemingly innocuous herbs, particularly in herbal teas. And any antihistimine can decrease your supply. I had the kellymom.com "is it safe" list bookmarked and consulted it constantly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

There's some good info here about pumping and supply, as well as how much milk the baby needs:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

There's a calculator on there to determine how much milk a baby needs, but it's for exclusively breastfed babies, and you say that yours is taking food.

"What if baby is eating solid foods?

Sometime between six months and a year (as solids are introduced and slowly increased) baby's milk intake may begin to decrease, but breastmilk should provide the majority of baby's nutrition through the first year. Because of the great variability in the amount of solids that babies take during the second six months, the amount of milk will vary, too. One study found average breastmilk intake to be 30 oz per day (875 ml/day; 93% of total intake) at 7 months and 19 oz (550 ml/day; 50% of total energy intake) at 11-16 months."

There's a page about decrease in pumping too -- from what they say, your output sounds normal, but they also have info on increasing supply:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html

I'd check with the ped before starting to supplement, because that really could make your supply drop, if the baby gets formula and isn't nursing as much. There's nothing wrong with supplementing or with formula! But you don't want to start the ball rolling with that if you don't have to. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Yes, fenugreek is actually similar to cumin I think and used in Indian cooking so you will smell like maple syrup if there is enough in your system.  Your pee and BO will make you smell like breakfast.  But a regular deoderant will mask it, don't worry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I found oatmeal did help me - and it doesn't have to be oatmeal in a bowl either - it took me about a year and a half to be able to look at oatmeal cookies again!  LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

MMMMMMM...lactation cookies are the best!

http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-lactation-cookies-by-noel-trujillo-192346

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Sarah, Does cumin also help increase supply?  I'm down with eating tons of Indian if that's what it takes! 

I've also found my supply decreasing (my DD is almost 9 months).  I think she's just not taking as much.  With the holidays and her being sick I've been around a lot more to nurse and have been doing less pumping and I think it's affecting my supply.  When I do return to work after being out for a while I notice a decrease in output.  I read exactly what Lemon posted, so I worry that maybe she's filling up on cereal and fruit and veggies and consequently not taking enough breastmilk and therefore not getting proper nutrition. 

I'm also pg again and I see that fenugreek is not good for pg mothers :(  I'm hoping that my CNM will have some ideas when I see her this week.  If not, I think I might schedule with a lactation consultant.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

So many good tips here! Kind of a funny story, but a few months back I was drinking Mother's Milk tea two and three times a day to increase my supply. I could constantly smell mapble syrup and thought my DD diapers smelled syrupy and I became convinced we were both diabetic due to all the Halloween candy I had eaten.

So I called the pediatrician frantically asking for an appointment because my DD was diabetic because she smelled like maple syrup. I gave the receptionist quite a laugh, they were like "Hon, you drinkin' that Nursing Tea?" Afterwards, I looked at the box. Sure enough, it says right on the box "will make you smell like maple syrup."

Wish someone had mentioned that to me!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

I want to thank you all for your help!  Milk production has increased by a good 50%.  Taking 3 capsules of fenugreek 3 times a day (need to go out and buy more today), bowl of oatmeal everyday, yogurt every morning and staying hydrated.  I've also been aware of trying to "relax" while pumping at work.  I've begun to listen to my ipod while I pump and I swear I now sometimes get a second let down that I haven't gotten in months.  I thank you all again, breastfeeding my kids is one of the greatest things I've ever been able to experience in my life and I'm grateful to be able to extend it for as long as possible!