Mom Style Blahs - Help?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Mom Style Blahs - Help?

Hey, Fram, a gentle lip exfoliant really is the answer to peeling on your lips or elsewhere on your skin.  If you didn't have luck with it before, maybe you tried a bad one.  Honey and sugar work well for me, and then at night I put a generous amount of olive oil on my lips while they are healing.  I don't care about my sheets, though, so maybe that wouldn't work for you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram - maybe Aquaphor or the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Unscented?  They are skin creams but I use them on my lips (and nose when it's chapped from lots of blowing).  Not sure if they would be better than vaseline or not.  I have heard that sometimes things like carmex can make it worse in the long run; not sure why.

Question: does anyone cover their grays with a drugstore wash in thing?
    Since my hair has filled back in, a lot of the new ones at the temples are gray!  I don't want to do a salon thing that requires maintenance frequently - I won't keep up with it and it's too much $$$.  Any recommendations??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Fram - I use Burt's Bees lip balm during the day and Aquaphor at night.  Also, when my lips are really chapped I will rub my toothbrush across them to remove some of the dead skin.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

Fram - I fight peeling lips all the time, especially during the winter. I love make up, but I hate and refuse to put lipstick over lumpy bumpy lips! 

Mary Kay puts out a good exfoliate for lips and hands...I believe it is called Satin hands and lips? But yes, honey and sugar works and tastes good too. I am a big Vaseline girl I know you said it didn't work, but I use it consistently through out the day. A small container at work, at home and in pocket book/diaper bag.

But also, you may need to up your water intake and if you drink a lot of caffeine...that can also lead to drying you out...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Three cheers for Burt's Bees lip balm. 

Also for a basic gray coverup go with the NatureColor line available at Whole Foods.  It's a milder treatment so it may not completely hide your gray depending on how much you have and how dark your hair is--it comes out looking like highlights.  It only costs about $15 (and touch ups only need half a package) and doesn't have all those harsh smelly ingredients.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the tips ladies!  As I was finishing up typing my post, I realized I should probably try exfoliating again.  I will try some of your suggestions!

I also wanted to recommend a new hair product I've been using.  I used to use some kind of Frizz-Ease serum to smooth my hair, but it really wasn't strong enough.  I recently tried their Finishing Creme and love it!  It makes my hair look smoother and shinier without blow drying, without being too heavy or looking greasy.  (But be careful because I can imagine it looking too greasy if you use too much.)

This is day 2 of wearing a little powder and I don't know how y'all do it!  My skin is crawling by 5:00... but I'll keep trying :o)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

I agree with the scarves. It's amazing how a scarf helps me feel more put together, even when I throw it over a T-shirt. For shoes, cute ballet flats always look and feel good. My lips are always chapped and I don't know what I would do without good old vaseline. That's the only thing that makes them feel better. I really need to keep up with my haircuts because my style grows out and then I wind up just pulling my hair back every day and I feel so boring.
    lissafro, I switched from a diaper bag to a large purse a while ago and I love it that you can't tell I'm lugging wipes and dipes and diaper cream around with me. It's so true how it makes you feel better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, if you are using just regular powder (not a true mineral makeup), it will be drying and uncomfortable.  Only products like BE "melt" on your skin into a weightless, creamy feeling, "barely there" foundation.  It's like it becomes part of your natural oils and disappears.  Regular "loose powder" on the other hand is really meant to go over a liquid foundation to set it, not go directly on your skin.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

This post inspired me to do just a little bit of "pick me up" shopping last night, just the nearby TJ Maxx for a new mom blazer, some flats and a couple of cartigans - followed by a trip to CVS to try some form of bare minderals - I chose L'Oreal Bare Naturale and we will see how it goes, but what a difference it made to my spirit!

Thanks for all the great ideas ladies, keep them coming!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fabulous, ml!  What a Spring pick-me-up!!!  Enjoy every bit of it.  And, let us know how you like the L'Oreal mineral makeup - I'd like to find a cheaper way to go if possible even though I'm very happy with BE, that is if I ever actually run out.  It lasts sooooo long.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Thought of y'all last night at Target-they have these long shorts that are slack/jean material that look sharp. Dressy and comfy. I think they will look nice with the drool stains from DD on my shoulder. :)  It was a little pick me up as I went there to pick up some reading glasses...sigh. no fun!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Similar to Kar, I also really like the Bare Minerals makeup.  But, I usually only wear that on the weekend, because it does take me a bit of time (I am not as skilled as Kar apparently!).  During the week, I use a tinted moisturizer that gives me good coverage and also takes two steps and cuts it down to one (moisturizer + foundation).  I like the Smashbox brand (from Sephora), but there are many that are available in drug stores, etc.  I don't think anyone has mentioned tinted moisturizer yet, but I like it a lot.  Also, a quick application of mascara and a little blush makes a big difference for me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks; I will try the NatureColor gray coverage this weekend!

I'm also going to hustle to Target to look at the shorts.  These posts have definitely been inspiring.  I even put on eyeliner this morning!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I'm pressed for time, but for the chapped lips: pull out the old Medela lanolin ointment.  I swear it works, and much better than Vasoline.  Just don't leave it out on your desk. 

I also agree with: ballet flats or fun Converse sneakers rather than "trainer" sneakers; scarves, scarves, scarves, investing in good (DARK) jeans, good makeup -- I prefer tinted moisturizer to powder, but all it takes is five minutes to cover up any uneven-ness, smack a little concealer on my eyes, then mascara & lip gloss.  I do more if I have more time, but that will get me out the door without concerned comments. 

Also, I find I look/feel better if I carve out a couple times a month to go get nails/brows done.  Just at a cheap-y place, but good grooming will take you far.  And I am ruthless about weeding out stained/faded pieces (I'm still losing weight so I've been buying on the cheap, but they don't last as long) b/c that looks sloppy. 

And, if you can pull off the skinny jean/leggings into boots look, I think that looks awesome and is just as comfy as yoga pants/sneakers.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Tinted moisturizer is a lovely thing!  Use it every single day.  And a trick to concealer is finding the right shade.  As a (former) makeup artist, I can't tell you how many times I see people looking like raccoons (too light) or way too dark or orange.  The Target brand, Sonia Kashuk sells a concealer trio so you can find the right shade, or mix quickly with your fingers.  One trick with concelear is not just putting under eyes to cover circles, but also on the lids.  As we age, your lids will get more red and dark and you'd be shocked how alive you look when your lids are bright and match your skin tone.  A light colored cream eye shadow would do the same trick and would just need a quick swipe with your finger... no brushes needed.  But these need to be good quality or else they will just melt into your creases by noon.

Brows!!  I cannot say enough about treating yourself to a brow wax or shaping.  A brow wax is really not painful and literally can make you look so polished and alert (like you actually got 8 hours of sleep instead of 4!!)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

getting my brows shaped/waxed + putting on mascara for once = feeling like a glamorous movie star

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

a tip for chapped/peeling lips ... lansinoh or any other lanolin cream.  If it is safe for nursing and possibly baby eating some, I figured it had to be safe for my lips and works great. 

Also, I love the Body Shop's Cocoa Butter lip care stick (my absolute favorite), Burt's Bees berry flavored chap stick, and the Aveeno chap stick. 

You have all inspired me to actually wear makeup the last few days :o) Though I am still enjoying my last week in yoga pants ... next week I'm back to work and will have to dress decently ... but this week is comfort all the way!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

It seems like you all wear foundation daily, I currently wear nothing except mascara and eye shadow.  I wonder if I need to start adding in foundation.  My biggest issue is I don't like the feeling of makeup on my face.  I actually just added in a moisturizer for the first time in my life once becoming pregnant and dealing with skin problems. Any recommendations for foundation if you're just starting out?  I do own some tinted moisturizer from ELF but I think I can count on my hands how many times I've actually worn it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lissa, you go, girl - you ARE a fabulous star!

clc, the mineral makeup we've been talking about is THE way to wear foundation.  It melts away into the natural oils of your skin and, as far as the wearer is concerned disappears, but to onlookers it appears that you have perfect, dewy skin.  Liquid foundation might not be as bad as it was in the 80s, but I tried some not long ago and it's still far inferior to mineral makeup's feel imo.  The mineral makeup dusts on with a big, fluffy brush and becomes a flawless finish in mere seconds with no goofs (aka, streaks).  As for brands, I've only ever tried Bare Esscentuals, but I've learned here that there are now more options.  I, however, do recommend BE for how it's served me and my mom exclusively for over a decade.

As Fram discovered, not any old tinted face powder will do.  Setting (or finishing) powder is not mineral makeup powder foundation that does the creamy magic on your face.  It's meant to go over liquid makeup to set it, not be used alone.

ETA:  Foundation really does go a LONG way in creating a polished look.  Things like liners, mascara, and lip gloss do something, but if you do those after dusting on a quick application of mineral foundation you'll really get a lot of glam bang for the makeup buck.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

bostongirl, you're not alone. I put mascara AND eyeliner on for my wedding, it was epic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In a wild move, I bought an eyeliner at Sephora the week before my wedding.  I was so incompetent that the lady gave me her card so I could call her and she could talk me through it on the big day!  She looked really worried.

CLC, I don't wear any makeup either on a daily basis.  I haven't tried the mineral foundations everyone likes (although I'm getting interested!) but the tinted moisturizer could be another nice option for you.  Does anyone know of an unscented one?  I hate scent on my face.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

CLC - I was using some foundation in a tube from Almay. I can't remember the name but I got it at the CVS - it has a red cap. It's supposed to be "true match" or something. It comes out of the tube white and then blends into your skin. I found it really easy to apply.
    Recently I've been using Loreal Infallible Advanced Never Fail makeup. I can slap it on in seconds and it looks great all day.
    If I were you I'd give that tinted moisturizer you have a 2nd try. They are such a great 2 for 1 product.
    I never notice a makeup feel on my skin with either of these products - but then again - I'm one of those people who won't even venture to the grocery store without foundation, blush and some lipstick or gloss. 
    I did buy some Loreal mineral makeup yesterday since Kar was raving about it. It looks very nice, I must say, but I didn't personally find dealing with the loose powder all over the place much quicker than blending a liquid on my skin. I'm sure you'll find what works for you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Medford, Neutrogena makes an unscented tinted moisturizer. I mix it w/ my regular moisturizer and apply it to my face in lieu of foundation.  I'm super pale and even the lightest color of tint makes me look too brownish, so I dilute it w/ regular moisturizer.  Another trick if you want to look super polished but not use foundation [hate it and especially hate the mineral stuff b/c it makes me insanely itchy] is to use clear primer [Sephora can help again] and then apply the tinted moisturizer/regular moisturizer foundation.