more pumping realted questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

more pumping realted questions

i have found that if i take DS out, it's easier to bring a bottle (if i have enough of a supply) but i'm running into a few problems:

- how do you all warm up bottles when you are out at the mall or something?

-can you combine milk from different pumping sessions?

that's all i can think of now.  these may have obvious answers, but right now i can't seem to find them.  thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: more pumping realted questions

If you are feeding breastmilk, don't worry about warming it - room temp is fine, and heating it too much can actually negatively affect it, by destroying some of the antibodies that make it so special. I often defrosted frozen milk (stored in lansinoh bags) by holding it under warm running water until it was liquid/slightly warm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

My daughter would gag if the milk was too cold, so I always had to heat it at least until room temp.  There is a bottle warmer that plugs into the car cigarette lighter.  I think Munchkin makes it.  That, or you can submerge the bottle in hot water if you're near a sink.  As a last resort, one time this winter I blasted the heat in my car and held the bottle in front of it for a few minutes!  Oh the things we do for our LOs!

And yes, you can mix pumped milk.  Just remember that the freshness of the mix is based on the oldest milk in the mix.  So if you mix today's and yesterday's milk, it's two days old. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

My LO does not need his bottles warmed up anymore, but in the beginning when he did and I was at the mall, I would go to the food court and ask for a cup of hot water. I never had any problems. Just be sure to go to places where you are sure they have hot water...like DD, Au bon pain, McD's, etc.

Like the previous post said, yes you can combine milk from different sessions. If you do decide to combine milk though be sure to use that bottle first.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

In a jam, you can just tuck the cold bottle between your breasts for a few and let your body heat warm it up and take the edge off. Of course, it might not be particularly attractive at the mall in Spring and Summer, but worked really well hiking in the woods last Fall.

Are you going to a lactation support group? I totally advise finding one as it was so helpful and good for me, and I learned so much (not just with regards to BFing) - I even met IPW at my BF group!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I agree about asking for hot water at the mall - but beware, it's often WAY hotter than your tap water and will warm that milk VERY fast (or, as in our case, make it too hot for screaming baby....)  McD and DD have been good spots, also Starbucks (bonus if you can get a comfy chair too!)  and make sure they only fill it part of the way... also a lesson learned the hard way :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

good ideas ladies!  we discovered the other day that DS doesn't mind it a little cold - he just wants it right away!  Guess I don't have to worry about that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

my daughter somehow LOVED a steaming hot bottle of milk.  I didn't really find this out until she was getting formula around 9 months and it drove me nuts having to warm and warm and warm those bottles.  If it wasn't hot enough she'd spit it out and refuse to eat.  She'd rather be hungry than drink a too chill bottle  I found the best places for hot water was any coffee shop and I'd as for a large cup filled 1/4 way with the hottest water they have.  I also found that if I brought the bottle to the counter with me they were more willing to help, but lots less willing to give me the hottest water (safety I guess??).  Anyway, on a day trip to Martha's Vineyard I saw a woman on the ferry pull out a baby bottle and then a thermos of hot water to put the bottle in and I was like "oh my God, why did I never think of that??!!!"  So now I have a thermos, I went with the 10oz size and it is perfect for taking the chill off a bottle.  I've tried it a few times and even the hot water from the tap 1/4 full works great for getting a just out of the fridge bottle just right.  And once #2 is done bfing, we're going to work on going to chilled bottles (becaues it was a royal pain when #1 transitioned to the cup and cold milk - she'd wait until it was room temp to drink and it drove me nuts!!)