November Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

November Infants & Toddlers

I haven't been on the boards much lately, but I thought I would start the new month anyway!  Quick question for my almost 7 month old DS.  When did you all start finger foods?  I recall that my DD got good at actually feeding herself around 8 months, but I think I must have introduced them earlier than that.  But, I can't remember!  DS is a much better eater in general, so he could be ready sooner.  And what foods did you start with??  

TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: November Infants & Toddlers

Memes we started at 7 months with puffs and cheerios.  I was a little scared of the puffs at first because of their size but they were easier for my DS to pick up.  We offered them with most meals to at least practice with.  I think it took closer to 8 1/2 - 9 months until he had really mastered it.  That was also the time we started offering a sippy of water at meals.  He loved that and was so proud of himself when he would actually get a sip.

My DS, 17 months, has started in with tantrums, lots of them.  Most consist of throwing something or really dramatic flopping on the nearest couch or the floor.  We try so hard to keep a straight face and talk to him calmly.  When they are regarding something he's not allowed to do I try to distract which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  Any other methods that we could try? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Memes- I started with Cherrios, puffs, yogart melts, well cooked veggies, mum mums.  Target actually has a good selection. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    Memes we started at 7 months with puffs and cheerios.  I was a little scared of the puffs at first because of their size but they were easier for my DS to pick up.  We offered them with most meals to at least practice with.  I think it took closer to 8 1/2 - 9 months until he had really mastered it.  That was also the time we started offering a sippy of water at meals.  He loved that and was so proud of himself when he would actually get a sip.

My DS, 17 months, has started in with tantrums, lots of them.  Most consist of throwing something or really dramatic flopping on the nearest couch or the floor.  We try so hard to keep a straight face and talk to him calmly.  When they are regarding something he's not allowed to do I try to distract which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  Any other methods that we could try? 

[/QUOTE]

We also started around 7 months with puffs. I was scared of cheerios because they were harder, but the puffs dissolve very quickly.

And CLC, I came on to post about the exact same topic!! My DD is 16 months and has also started with real tantrums (we had a killer one this AM- throwing things, pulling on window blinds, trying to lock herself in the bathroom...yikes!). DH and I know we need to start some discipline besides just saying no, and we try to keep calm and not feed into the tantrum, but we need some discipline tips, too. What can you do to discipline a young toddler who won't sit still for time out?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from malw. Show malw's posts

It's so hard.  The only way to enforce a time out at that age is to hold them (which I've done reluctantly for hitting or biting.   But I don't want moms lap to be a bad place.  Same with bedroom - should be happy.  The high chair works, but it's not perfect.   Still looking for perfect solution.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

I personally think distraction works best at that young age.  As malw said, time outs are really hard to enforce.  Sometimes just being silly too will distract them from what they are upset about.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

It's important to seperate tantrum from bad behavior that needs to be disaplined. At that young age for the true things that need to be disaplined-our laps were the only place a time out could actually happen. Distraction for the smaller offenses. Tantrums I ignore (leave the room to laugh often) or silliness is my go to plan.

It gets harder when you have two kids! the other child will start disaplining the other...if DS (we use Magic 1-2-3) starts to act up DD will start counting. And DS tries to put DD in time outs all the time! It makes the situation so much worse!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Just had to share, DS has his first tooth breaking through! He had been waking a bit more in the middle of the night for a week or so, then he slept through the night the last 3 nights (8 hours!) I thought it might be because we gave him cereal starting this week, but we were poking around in his mouth last night, and he definitely has a tooth starting to poke through!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

DS (14.5 mos) is now officially walking.  I'm excited for him, but not for us, as he will no longer be containable!  And also sad, as it means my baby is really moving out of babyhood.  This is about the time the baby fever hit me after DD...I'm guessing it will start again soon!  Something in me thinks three is the magic number, but DH is not convinced.  :) 

Agreed on the tantrum stuff.  Sometimes a tantrum is a fit that merits discipline, but at that young age, it can also be frustration about communicating coming through...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Amy - Yay for teeth! Hopefully the worst is over for your poor DS. I think mine is getting one of his top ones soon. Not looking forward to that!

Luv - I hope you can convince DH to go for the 3rd! :-)

We had DS's 6 month appointment last week. He climbed up to the 20th percentile for weight and the 77th for height! I was so excited that I was almost giddy. Our pedi asked about his surgery and then told me that he doesn't feel good about missing DS's tongue tie when he checked either. I think it was the closest thing to an apology I've ever heard from a doctor! He also said that the doctors in his practice and the hospital they're all on staff at are having a little on-going debate about how to handle tongue tie, which I thought was really nice. I hate that it took so long for DS to get diagnosed, but I'll be happy if that brings about some change for the future.

Of course, now DS's weight has plateaued over the last week and a half. I swear he's nursing at least as much as he has before. I've read that babies slow down their weight gain after 6 months, but he still has so much catching up to do. I'm not sure if I should do anything differently to help him break it or just let him go and see what happens. I swear he feels heavier every day, but the scale disagrees!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Memes, we started with puffs, Cheerios, and Mum Mums around that age. I don't think he ever got more than a few tiny bites into his mouth until 9 mos or so though -- it was more just to practice the pincer grasp. 

CLC - You might want to check out Harvey Karp's Happiest Toddler on the Block. His big thing for dealing with tantrums is reflecting back to the kid that you understand why he's upset, and not in the calm, flat way that a lot of parents do - "You want to stand on the couch! You want to! You're mad Mama won't let you!" and, once they see you understand, move on to "But you can't because..." and then find something fun to distract. Your DS is most likely too young for it to really work (still doesn't very well with my 20 month-old), but I've heard that it can work. 

I definitely wouldn't do timeouts for tantrums -- I only do them for bad behavior like hitting, and even when I do, it's only after trying a couple times to say no firmly and distract. Again, at this age, I find them minimally useful but I'm still trying :-). 

I still try the Karp tactic on DS when he's freaking out, but if it doesn't work I just ignore briefly and keep coming back to try and distract. He eventually tires of it :-).

Chiclet - they definitely do slow down after 6 mos. Does your pedi still say he needs to gain a lot? 20th percentile is fine (where my DS was I think until 9 mos or so), as long as it's not a drastic drop from where he's been (i.e. if he was in 90th for weight and dropped down). If he's eating well, unless there's a specific issue your pedi still wants you to watch for, I wouldn't worry. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Oh DD has been getting lots of time outs lately. As soon as she gets seated on my lap she starts saying "I listen now, I listen now." lol. Reminds me of the time I had to give DS a lap timeout at the mall. Some guy sat down on the bench next to me (what what that guy thinking!) and DS turned to the guy and repeatedly said "help me, help me please." I nearly fell off the bench laughing. The guy felt sooo awkward!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Last week I almost posted that DS hasn't needed a time out in several weeks.  This weekend DH was away and oh man did DS have multiple time outs.  Generally I like the distraction method but trying to run the dog over, repeatedly, with the Cozy Coup or hitting her required a timeout (or 4).  DS's tantrums have been more related to not being able to do something that he wants to do.  He didn't do anything wrong so no need for a time out but he's stubborn and not getting his way really sets him off.  It also doesn't help that he has his first cold of the season and got in 3 molars in the past two weeks.  I'm sure the 4th is on its way.

On a completely different note, for those that have flown with their kids should we get a seat for DS (17 months)?  We are planning a February trip to Florida.  Our original plan was no, that he would sit in my lap but MIL is insisting on us getting him a seat and has offered to pay for it.  Thoughts?  My only issues with getting the seat for him is we would need to lug the car seat through the airport and my thoughts are that he's going to want to be in my lap anyway making it a huge waste.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

clc - I have always purchased a seat for DD, (now 5, and we have to) and bought a seat for DS (6 months) for Thanksgiving. It is a big added cost, but I am more comfortable with the kids having their own seats for safety- in the event of turbulence they are much more secure in their own seats. Also, I don't want to have to hold them for a multi-hour flight if they will most likely sleep through all or part of it. And DD was always happy to be in her car seat, she never really wanted to hang out in my lap when we flew. Can't say how DS will take it, but he is a great car traveller, so I think he will be OK in his carseat on the plane as well.

The other thing is that you will most likely need a carseat once you get to where you are travelling, so might as well have it on the plane. When DD outgrew the bucket, we did switch to travelling with a Cosco Scenera http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-5-Point-Convertible-Car-Seat-Black-Santee/13004563 which is a highly rated by consumer reports, but much cheaper and lighter seat (the rest of the time it lived in our friend's car, she is our back-up kid transporter).

One other thought on having a seat for a baby - if you are stuck because you miss a connection, or the plane is delayed, each ticketed passenger will be eligible for whatever they are offfering as far as food vouchers - It got us an extra $10 for food at the airport when we got stuck overnight. Still had to shell out for a hotel room, since the delay which made us miss the connection was weather related, though.

As for lugging carseats through the airport - yes it sucks! but going through the airport with small kids is no picnic no matter what, since you will have a million things to carry/deal with, so what is one more?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

we just got back from flying with DS (3 years) and DD (14 months) and we got seats for each of them, and lugged their car seats. We tried 6-7 months ago to skip the car seat for our then 2.5 year old, and he did not fit in the seat even with CARES system - kept sliding under the seat belt and was visibly uncomfortable. The return trip in his car seat was so much better for him. So we decided to lug both seats both ways this trip, and it was so worth it - both of them sat in the car seats for landing and takeoff and DD slept for at least half of the flight - in her seat. I did bring some of her favorite snacks and favorite activities (markers/paper), and that helped a lot too, and walking around when she got restless going out there.

The reason we wanted their own seats is that if there is turbulence or any issues, the seat is safer than hoping you can hold on to them and DH is very safety conscious. I know we flew with DS at 18 months too, and found it helped to have the car seat especially when he was sleeping (he was not nursing then, and the only leg that I recall issues with was the one leg we tried to skip the car seat). But that is just our experience. Getting the seat in and especially get it out was a pain with the seat buckle, but for me, it was worth the headache for a fairly uneventful trip.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

It's been so quiet, how's everyone doing? 

I'm looking forward to a short week and a few extra days with DS.  At 17 months he's been just the most fun little kid lately.  He's been learning a lot the past few weeks, between new words and new ways to communicate with us through signals.  It's been awesome.  I can't wait for a few extra days with him and DS.

Also, it took until 17 months but I had to do our first middle of the night bed stripping.  DS has had diarrhea since Friday and 4am on Saturday he had a complete blowout.  I started him on Pedialyte on Sunday so hopefully he's on the mend.  Luckily this is the only symptom so far.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I know; it is really quiet.  CLC, enjoy!  I definitely remember it was right at that age with DD when I just wanted to freeze her and enjoy her like that forever!  (Of course, with DS, I've been trying since he was born with no success!)

Sorry to hear about the diarrhea... have you tried the BRAT diet?  I think it's bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.  Bananas definitely helped us in the past.  One of my friends also swears by culturelle, but I'm not sure if that's effective when they have a virus, or just for diarrhea caused by antibiotics.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks Med!  We've been trying BRAT but he really isn't eating.  He will take one to two bites at a meal and be done.  I even tried a bunch of his favorites just to get him to eat something and it was a no go.  He just looked at me and shook his head no over and over again.  I know something is wrong when he won't eat cheese!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! DS decided he needs a third tooth to chew his Thanksgiving dinner with. I saw the corner of his top front tooth this morning. It hasn't quite popped through yet, but it's coming. He's doing so good right now. He's the happiest baby! Yesterday, he couldn't stop smiling long enough to eat. His weight gain is back on track too after a few weeks of a plateau. He's gained 22 oz in 26 days since his last appointment. To Arcain's point, the doctor never gave me any guidelines for weight gain between 6 and 9 months, so we're just going to go with what we've got. He's doing awesome with BLW too. The only thing he hasn't gone after is applesauce. I'll keep trying it, but every time I give it to him, he makes the worst face.

CLC - Sorry that DS isn't feeling well. I hope he's back on track for the holiday!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Hey any tips or tricks for dealing with awful diaper rash? Poor DS is suffering and everything I've tried isn't helping so far. Thanks! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

CLC - DS had a horrible rash (I suspect an allergy to the diapers) recently. We eventually were prescribed something that of course now I can't think of the name of... nyprasteen? Something like that. It is an anti-fungal because the pedi thought the diaper rash had a possible fungal aspect. We did the nyprasteen, or whatever it was called, in combination with triple paste and the rash that had been persistent for a week or so cleared up within 24 hours or less. I hope your DS's stomach bug has cleared up!

Happy thanksgiving, everyone!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Nystatin, maybe?  We had a similar situation.  I can't remember the exact name.  It was antifungal.  They had us alternate with every other diaper change the nystatin and something else. It cleared up right away.  My sister is a nurse and she said they use the powdered form on elderly, obese, and otherwise bedridden patients to prevent bedsores and rashes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

clc-as hard as this is, don't worry about not eating, offer often and just let hims choose, if it's only diarreah anything he wants to eat is okay. Throwing up is different! Of course there are things that stop him up more than others...but I say, if he will eat ice cream-give him ice cream! Any time the kids get a stomach bug, I slip them culturael in their yogurt. I buy the target brand at half the price though! as long as it's capsules you can open and mix with anything. We've had many stomach bugs where I've begged the kids to eat anything! anything they wanted I'd give them! want a cookie for breakfast-no problem have two! So tough to follow their lead though. the only thing I get on them for is drinking, and then I'll give them a popsicle if that works.

We moved DD to her big girl bed and boy have things gotten better at bedtime! the first week was an adjustment, but since then it's been so much nicer. Though she has snuck out of bed a few times when we'e thought she was a sleep. But at night we put a no climb gate up and that at least keeps her contained. Only one night did we think she tried to escape-found her at hte foot of her bed.

My guys are getting so excited for Thanksgiving! Driving to school DD kept saying "I go Gammy's house! I go Gammy's house!" Grammy lives about 2 hours away, so we don't go that often and the kids are always excited when we do go.

Hope everyone has a safe Thanksgiving weekend!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I am also looking forward to 4 days off with DS.  At 16.5 months, he is getting so big and starting to say a lot more words.  The newest word is apple and has says it so clearly.  Then of course he want to eat an apple!  so cute!

clc - The only diaper rash cream that works for DS is A&D.  We have tried every kind but that seems to work the best for him.  Also, when DS was sick with diarrhea, the doctor recommended culturelle and Gatorade. 

chic - glad to hear DS is gaining and doing so well!

Kam - That must make gammy so happy to hear how excited DD is!  So cute! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

CLC - Have you tried cornstarch? DS's day care teachers recommended it because he had a little rash that wouldn't go away. I put the cornstarch on him and it practically healed overnight. We use Butt Paste and Aquaphor interchangably during the day. I think Aquafour works a little better. From what I read, usually a kid responds better to zinc oxide or petrolatum, so if you find one doesn't work, it's worth trying the other.