October -- Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October -- Infants & Toddlers

When I was growing up we didn't eat and drink in the car.  I don't remember feeling abused, hungry, or thirsty.  The sippy cup and McD's changed all that, but I don't think that means it's a human necessity to have food and drink on hand at all times.

ETA:  Misslily's post prompts me to add how thankful I am that I wasn't encouraged or allowed to eat all throughout the day.  If I had, I'm sure I'd be overweight, now, because I have access all day, every day, to anything I could want to eat either from our fridge or out at a restaurant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

It's either in "Super Baby Food" or "Child of Mine" (or both) but one specifically says not to let kids roam around with snacks and drinks.  It encourages grazing.  You should have set meal times - including snacks - that take place in the high chair and later at the table. Just as you need them to learn what it feel like to need "to go" when you potty train, you want them to learn what it feels like to be hungry or thristy. What you don't want is mindless eating or sipping all day long.

Let me just say that since I have 2 climbers and have to put my highchairs in the mudroom after every meal, we do not sit down for snacks.  But we do have set times.  I get watered down juice or smoothies and some sort of snack (goldfish, cheerios, cut up apples etc) mid morning and mid afternoon and we eat them in the playroom.  When they are done the snack cups and sippys go into the sink or dishwasher.

My parents are always commenting on people who don't seem able to function anymore without a bottle of water that they constantly sip from.  They are always like - "when did this happen? People didn't walk around with bottles of water for centuries. Now all of a sudden they can't leave the house without a liter of water. Are they going on a trek later?"  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Happy birthday little baby lost!  I can't believe that he's 1 already!!!  Poppy, how was your LO's birthday?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks for thinking of us, Lost, but it's not yet!  It's the 22nd.  :)
    Happy birthday to little Lost!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Congratulations, LLLE!

Misslily, what does it say about grazing on water all day?  I am one of the people who can't leave the house without a water bottle...
    I agree that people used to do just fine without it, but I love my water and so far the LO does, too, and I let her have it whenever she wants.
    Is water an exception?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I think water is the exception.  It says at meals offer milk, at snacks offer juice or milk.  The rest of the time offer water.  And offer it often. But she does say to offer.  I think what you want to avoid is a situation where your child sips all day long.  They won't be able to do that at school so you might as well teach them now to drink at certain intervals. But of course, it's up to you.

It's in Child of Mine - a wonderful resource for feeding toddlers and helping them learn healthy eating habits - and avoiding battles over food.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I second what Misslilly says about grazing, coming to the table hungry, and I've also read parts of Child of Mine (or her other one about food) - haven't taken the time to read the whole book, but it seems to be a good one to read to get your children on good eating habits (vs. what we have, which for many of us is NOT good habits)

We have parents who still are insisting on 3-6 oz bottles at 11am for their 15 or 16 month old who is healthy and eats regular table foods.  so after a bottle at 11am, is that child hungry at 12?  no!  so of course they don't eat... then they are really hungry at snack time at 3pm, and that's when we offer things less nutritious (fruit and goldfish vs. protein, fruit, veges at lunch)... so they eat lots of that...

it's a vicious circle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

so this raises another question for me- DS doesn't really love juice, and I haven't pushed it. we use a sippy in the morning and night for milk, and sometimes he will have milk at daycare before a nap or something- but really just drinks water all day.

happy birthday baby lost.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

He doesn't need juice if he doesn't like it.  Milk and water are just fine.
    Juice is full of sugar - I water mine down for my kids. My pedi recommended a 25% juice to 75% water mixture when I first started offering (9months or so?). I still water it down quite a bit. I've even got my DH in the habit of making his juice 50/50.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

med, I think any habit that won't be able to be maintained forever will be a problem.  pre-school and kindergarten will be difficult enough without having to pry a permanently attached water bottle from her fingers.  She won't get dehydrated if water is available even if she doesn't have it in her hand every waking moment.

And, juice is not a health food.  It's packed with sugar even if it's "no sugar added."  Fructose is sugar.  It rots teeth and gives anyone in the habit of drinking it a constant taste of something sweet.  Fruit, in moderation, is healthy.  Fruit juice doesn't have one iota of fiber - it's essentially sugary water.  However, those selling juice (Oceanspray comes to mind) go to great lengths and spend billions of dollars to convince moms otherwise.  If a child doesn't like juice, celebrate, don't fret.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

This thread is making me thirsty for OJ. 

We're not big juice drinkers.  Although, I almost became one out of spite b/c the nutritionist I saw during pregnancy was SO anti-juice, it was insane.  And no one is the boss of me. 

My issue with grazing isn't so much about future obesity or whatever ... it's fear of choking and ants.  DD is simply not coordinated enough to be trusted with the responsibility of moving around AND keeping Cheerios out of her windpipe and my carpet, respectively. 

I give my daughter a sippy of H2O all day, Medford.  I will do any and everything to deal with the Hard P**p Issue and she's not super-adept with them, so for me I think that access is half the battle.  There are so many changes and things to phase in and out over the next few years, this is just one of them.  I'd keep offering the water, but that's me. 

Winter -- as part of the Great P**p Issue of 2011, I've been doing quite a bit of research on dairy.  Turns out, 8-12oz is the recommended amount for a "toddler".  I'd ask your pedi (or maybe LIL would know) but I think you'd be OK swapping out one of those with yogurt or some other dairy source.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

GC - when my kids were 12 months old my pedi said, "Don't let them walk around and snack." Not because of grazing, but because of choking.  he says that's when most kids choke - running around with a goldfish in their mouth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Our daughter gets take-n-toss straw cups now too, like lissa's. I don't see it causing any sort of speech delay -- she's more articulate than most adults I know. I suppose it depends on the kid. I'm pretty into dental hygeine and I'd always heard that it was better to drink from a straw than an open cup because it keeps the sugar and staining stuff away from your teeth. There's no way I'm giving my daughter an open cup anyway. She's way too clumsy and distractable. And I wouldn't restrict her intake -- she's not a big eater or drinker and needs to be reminded to refuel.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

See?  And I didn't even go to medical school.  I have Inherent Mothering Skills.  And I dislike both vacuuming and ants.  And choking, obviously. 

The straw cups are next on my list of Things to Try, actually.  The Open Cup Experiment resulted in a mess, both literally and emotionally.  Left to her own devices, she got soaked.  When I helped, she acted like I was waterboarding her.  We're not ready to go back there. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

The take-n-toss straw cups are pretty awesome -- I find them less spilly than sippy cups once the kid gets the hang of them (my daughter always seems to leave the sippy cup nub-down on the leather sofa in order to most efficiently drain it of its contents). There is one trick to the t-n-t cups, though -- you have to put the cover on and THEN insert the straw. If you try to refill the cup without removing the straw it squirts all over the place. Science.

I just don't think you can get too worked up or rulesy over eating and drinking. I mean yes, I read Child of Mine, and I seek the advice of our ped over obvious problems, but you also have to respond to the needs of your actual child instead of a hypothetical child. And if you get too wound up over parenting in general you end up like that person who wanted us to tape our kids's mouths shut to keep out night fevers or whatever.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

(removing tape from DD's mouth)

Good tip on the straw, Lemon!  DD also enjoys storing her sippy upside down. She uses the nub as kick-stand, kind of.  It's part of her larger plan to drive me slowly insane. 

It's totally working. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Happy birthday baby lost.  My DS's is tomorrow... we had his party this past Sunday.  The weather was the best guest of all!  DS totally avoided the cake.  You'd have thought we put dirt on his tray (although he would have eaten that!).

I'm nervous about the drinking issue.  Funny to say that an not be talking about a 19 year old.  My DS is just not a big drinker, like Lemon's DD.  He'd have no interest at all walking around with a sippy or if I leave it on the floor, wouldn't go check it out.  I just started doing 50/50 milk and formula this week to his 3 4oz bottles a day.  So far so good... he usually drinks about 10oz out of those total, and perhaps 2-4 oz of water or juice during the day.  That just sounds so low.  Going to drop the afternoon bottle next week and replace with a snack but then he'll be getting even less fluids.  Ugh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: October -- Infants & Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]DS totally avoided the cake.  You'd have thought we put dirt on his tray (although he would have eaten that!).
    Posted by IPWBride[/QUOTE]
    Totally know what you mean.  We had the exact same experience.

GC, I also fear p00p trouble, so I will keep doing frequent water.  I have even trained her to say "mmm!" after taking a sip.  Her new thing is that if she is done with something she wants me to take it AWAY (not just put it aside), so it's not constant; it's intervals, albeit short ones.
    She was such a frequent nurser, and now that bf-ing is just at wake up and bed time, I feel like she needs fluids.  Whole milk is not a huge hit.  Although she guzzled it the other night when she also ate an enormous cookie.  Apparently, cookies and milk really do go together.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Of course it would be so nice if our children slept like the angels in the sleep books and ate like the kids in Super Baby Food.  We all know that they don't, or we wouldn't need these boards! :)
    I hope no one thinks I was saying not to offer water.  That wasn't my thinking at all.  My daughter drinks so much I was worried she was diabetic for a while! (she's fine BTW).
    Offer away, and if leaving it out for sipping works for you, then that's what you should do.
    I was just stating options that have been given to me and have, for the most part been successful.
    Personally I'm worried about choking if my kids eat in the car or while running around, but I know some people aren't worried about those things either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

[QUOTE]  Have you tried (probably have, though) giving her a tiny (TINY) bit of prune juice in her yogurt, or slipped into milk, or watered down heavily (it's icky sweet and thick) with water to help with her constipation? 

water is fabulous for constipation - we had a child who needed to drink constantly, although they also had him drinking juice to try to keep things moving.

Poor baby, it's horrible to be constipated, and it hurts!  how old is your daughter now, I've lost time and don't remember but I think she's about 13 months old?
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(Misslily, we thought our puppy was diabetic, too, until I realized that her treats were far too salty and sugary.  When I stopped giving her those, suddenly she wasn't gulping down the water (and always needing to pee!), anymore.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Reading about all the drinkers out there made me wonder when to start with sippy cups of water.. We had DS's 6 Mon check up today and he had another round of shots. Last time he screamed for a long time and even had a fever when we got home 1/2hr later. I asked my pedi if I could use the room to nurse af the shots and she asked if I wanted to nurse while he got them. I was happy she suggested it, and it worked wonders!! He cried a bit for each shot but latched right back on. He was happy when we left a few minutes later! I remember this being in the discussions a while back, and thought it may be helpful to learn that it works! Also we tried peas tonight, just cooked frozen peas and strained the skins, he's not too sure about them yet. It's hard to believe that he'll be eating what we're eating before long!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Happy Birthday baby Lost and baby IPW!!!

We give DS a sippy of water that he drinks from throughout the evening after we get home from daycare.  At dinner we rinse it out and put milk in it and then that is it for the night.  If we are drinking DS has to drink too and if he doesn't have his sippy then he wants to drink from our cups.  I am one of those who walks around with a water bottle all day but I know I don't drink enough water at meals and I do a lot of talking so it is what it is.  In the morning he has milk again with breakfast. 

I don't feed DS breakfast but I know DH doesn't put him in his highchair to eat as usually I find the plate on the table in the livingroom when I get home.  We did have a discussion about it and I did give my argument for eating in his highchair at the table but he is in charge in the morning as I am long gone to work.  On weekends he eats all his meals in his highchair. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]Reading about all the drinkers out there made me wonder when to start with sippy cups of water..
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]
    I think our pediatrician advised us to start water when we started solids.  Probably due to the aforementioned constipation issues!  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

CT -- oh, prunes.  We're big prune fans at the GC household.  DD seems to be immune to them, however.  She loves them, and will eat two of the 2.5oz jars, plus the whole prunes I cut up, and take prune juice mixed with water, and she's still passing hard, man-sized poops.