October -- Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Re: October -- Infants & Toddlers

I'm actually calling the pedi tomorrow b/c I think this is becoming a problem and my daycare lady is getting worried.  I strongly suspect that cow's milk is to blame.  No small human can eat the amount of fruits, veggies, whole grains and PRUNES that this child does and still have to do more than sneeze to push out a movement.  She hasn't seen a banana in well over a month, cheese is a distant memory, I cut out all white starches ... and still we have pain.  I'm losing my mind.  Her bowels defy me.  She's on freaking antibiotics right now and STILL isn't having loose stools. 

I mean, she goes every day.  I just get the notebook back from daycare with a sad face, like:

[DD] had a large firm BM at 1:30pm.  Lots of pushing and tears. :(

If I had a nice lady caring for me, my notebook would read: "GC read daycare notebook, rested forehead on said notebook and sniffled a little.  Then she poured a HUGE glass of wine and started googling 'hard bowel movements in toddlers.'  AGAIN."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Is she drinking enough water?  Without water, the body can't process fiber correctly and will just get more bound up.
    Also, you've probably already thought of this, but iron supplements can cause constipation too. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Oh, God, am I supposed to be giving her iron supplements? 

the not-drinking-enough water thing is also high on my list of culprits.  I make sure she gets a lot of watery fruits and I actually water down her milk bottles, so she's getting about 12oz of water over the course of the day, plus whatever we can get her to take from a sippy. 

She's good at everything else.  How can she not be good at pooping?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

You are too funny with the notebook.
    Poor little baby GC with the pushing and tears!  That's so sweet and so sad.  :(
    She's getting 12 oz of water in *addition* to whatever quantity of milk or formula?  Like not counting water that is mixed into formula (if that's what you're using)?  If so, that seems like enough water for a little person.
    At about 20 pounds, our LO probably does 10 oz water, 2-4 oz whole milk, and two nursing sessions per day.

Re: iron - did they check her iron levels at the same time as lead levels?  If so and all is good, no supplements needed.  Hopefully ped would have mentioned it if her iron was low.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

You probably don't need supplements.  It's just that if you WERE giving them to her they would bind her up.  Don't worry too much about the tears.  My DD cries like there's no tomorrow when she's pooping and she doesn't have any troubles with constipation.  The other day I was in the kitchen and she started yelling gleefully "Mummy!  I'm poopin' a really big p00p!  I'm pushin' and pushin'!  I'm holdin' onto the handles [of her potty] and I've got tears runnin' down my face!"  I think maybe she has less practice with the whole thing than an adult so she might be tensing up/pushing everything she can, not just the muscles for her intestines.

But of course, if you've got a diaper's load of pebbles to prove the constipation misery, you've probably got other stuff going on. 
    PS - Remember, apples are fruit but they are actually binding.  Have you tried cutting out meat and dairy?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

GC- I actually use a lot of pears- all fruits that start with P are supposed to be good for creating poopin (finally a parenting thing that makes sense). Early on, I bought prune juice and it came right back at me, but the pear juice was tolerated. I also tend to sneak it into things like babyfood I made  and such (e.g., all mango is blended with pears).  he eats chunks of pears and peaches for snacks, and he can bite into asian pears without me even peeling them... he basically only gets other fruits (strawberries or whatever) when mixed in with a "p" fruit. I can't imagine your frustration with this- but DS occasionally still has a day or two where he is constipated and I can't ever figure out what it is, but it isn't every day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

question- I feel like we are hitting "Toddlerland" really rapidly... and i am not sure how to handle all of these transitions.  DS is now excited about eating what we are eating at dinner- but he is trying to boycott his high chair. He screams when we put him in it (some days, apparently on others he is hungry enough he doesn't care). Last night, when I took him out, he pointed at my chair- I had to move to another chair and put him in my seat, but then- although he couldn't really see what was on the table, he happily ate.  so do I transition to a booster, or push back and have him in the high chair? I don't want to shift everything around every time he changes his mind...  but on the other hand, I don't really care where he sits as long as he eats. 

my mother says that she thinks we are too flexible with him- we do have a lot of rules and routines, but i am flexible about some things... just worried they aren't the right ones.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: October -- Infants & Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]question- I feel like we are hitting "Toddlerland" really rapidly... and i am not sure how to handle all of these transitions.  DS is now excited about eating what we are eating at dinner- but he is trying to boycott his high chair. He screams when we put him in it (some days, apparently on others he is hungry enough he doesn't care). Last night, when I took him out, he pointed at my chair- I had to move to another chair and put him in my seat, but then- although he couldn't really see what was on the table, he happily ate.  so do I transition to a booster, or push back and have him in the high chair? I don't want to shift everything around every time he changes his mind...  but on the other hand, I don't really care where he sits as long as he eats.  my mother says that she thinks we are too flexible with him- we do have a lot of rules and routines, but i am flexible about some things... just worried they aren't the right ones.
    Posted by winter09wedding[/QUOTE]

I think there's a difference between giving in to unreasonable toddler demands and encouraging him to progress. I would say that moving from a high chair to a booster is a really big deal for a toddler and if you're not opposed to the idea you should encourage it. I went on amazon with my daughter and we picked out a booster together, opened the box together, and installed it together (kind of). Later we picked up a step stool at Ikea so she could climb up by herself. It meant a lot to her, and it still makes her feel important and more like a big girl. And it paved the way for dinner-time chores, like setting the table. It also makes life easier for me, because she can get herself set up and she's better behaved once she's in her seat because it's something she wanted and picked out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

GC, My daughter is the queen of constipation.    I have tried everything.  When she was a baby, we put prune juice in her formula and when she switched to milk, we used pro biotics.  It is a powder we added to one drink a day.  That did the trick and after a few weeks it seemed to regulate her and she was fine for a long time, until….we started to potty train.    It started all over again.  It’s a nightmare, I am so sad for her.  I have spoke to the doctor so many times and she basically says diet, diet,d iet.  DD is a poor eater as it is but I limit the amount of binding foods.  It is a tough thing to get through; I know exactly how you feel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

GC, until you figure this out, can you put her back on formula? Did she po0p more easily on the formula?

I feel so badly for baby GC, I can't imagine how hard it must be watching your baby struggle to do something basic like po0p.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ooh, I love this "p" fruit rule!  I'm going to start doing that, since we are also having some issues... nothing like baby GC, though - poor thing!  I would be a wreck if Zoe cried every time she tried to p00p!  :(  I wonder if it is the cow's milk, as you suspect?  If so, is there an alternative other than soy?  Along those lines, is anyone's toddler doing less than whole milk?  A friend was telling me her son is on 2% milk only (he's 2).  I hadn't heard that before and am now curious.

Winter, we have the same sort of high chair issues.  Usually once there is food in front of her she's ok, but initially she screams when I try to strap her in.  Lemon, I like your involvement of your daughter in the transition to the booster seat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We were told to go to 2% milk at our 2 year appointment.  I have one friend who has her 18 month old on 2% milk, but he's already 29 pounds.
    I'd stay on whole milk poppy, unless your pedi suggests otherwise.

I had my twins in booster seats (with straps) at 18 months when we were in Canada, but went back to big high chairs once we got home.  When they won't get in I simplly put them in the playroom and close the gate - and continue serving the meal. (used to put them in a p&p). After about 5 minutes they are ready to come to the table and eat. espeically if one of them is happily eating and drinking.  Ususally it's DD who is being difficult - once she sees DS at table with mommy and daddy, she changes her mind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

[QUOTE] Along those lines, is anyone's toddler doing less than whole milk?  A friend was telling me her son is on 2% milk only (he's 2).  I hadn't heard that before and am now curious. Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

We just has DS#1's 2-year check-up yesterday and the NP said to make the switch to 2% milk instead of whole. She said even 1% percent would be fine, but my DS is a skinny minny so 2% is where we're at right now. The pedi encouraged whole milk for ages 1-2, so I think it's a 2 year thing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

As for highchairs, we have the Stokke Tripp Trapp and we removed the tray and pulled it up to the dining table once DS started to fuss about sitting in it. He loves being able to sit at the "big" table and will often climb in to work on puzzles at the table even when it's not mealtime. We also got the table top that goes with the TT and it's been great for working on numbers and the alphabet while eating.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ah, yes, maybe the 2% is a 2-year thing.  We're not even on milk at all yet - I still have 1.5 weeks!!  I'm afraid of the switch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Winter, I know how you feel.  Regardless of the specifics about the high chair, I am having the same questions approaching toddlerhood.  I remember someone on here (lemon?) saying it was a hard transition for the parents out of "you can't spoil a baby".
    On the highchair specifically, I like the ideas about booster seats unless you really want him to be in a highchair.  If it doesn't matter to you, it doesn't matter, even if others call you "flexible".  ;)
    Our particular toddler-transition-trouble is throwing toys... it's starting to get to where she really flings things, and I don't know how to stop it / how much to stop it / what is reasonable to expect from her (14 mo) in terms of listening / and how to draw the distinction between the "not OK" toy flinging and the games we play all the time (dropping toys off the couch onto the floor, rolling balls back and forth)...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

ML -- that's what I'm going to ask when I finally connect with the pedi, if we can revert to formula.  I would have called today, but my office is kind of open and I try to deemphasize my p**p obsession in front of people I deal with every day. 

YOU'RE WELCOME, office-mates! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Oh- GC... speaking of formula- I have gotten coupons for "toddler formula"- I am sure it is still a million dollars a can, but maybe that would be better than the infant stuff, but easier for her belly to manage? 

and medford- ironically, I had such a hard time getting that post posted. it wouldn't tell me which word was the problem... but flexible replaced the word  s p o i l  which was so odd that it wouldn't take it (but it wouldn't tell me what word it wasn't taking.)  i get the throwing thing. we worked with DS on throwing a ball, and now he thinks that throwing remotes and blocks is also fun. oops. we do a lot of removing the blocks- they are in clear containers and they go on the top of the fridge where he can see them but not get them (for the day. they reappear the next day).

kiwi- that is a great idea. our high chair is adjustable... we could try that. who knows. maybe this will pass in a week.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I don't think it's spoiling him to let him make a big step he's going to have to eventually make anyway.  It will be more messy and it's up to you whether he seems ready to sit with you at dinner for long enough to get some food into him. 
    We switched to a booster seat to transition but if I had known how quickly my strong-willed daughter would decide she wanted to move on to a regular grown up chair I wouldn't have spent the money. 

I think 2% milk is a 2year thing.  We switched a little before that because we drink 2% and I just got lazy about buying separate milk for her.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Winter, I know how you feel.  Regardless of the specifics about the high chair, I am having the same questions approaching toddlerhood.  I remember someone on here (lemon?) saying it was a hard transition for the parents out of "you can't spoil a baby".
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]
    Yes, that was me. I still miss not spoiling the baby. Although the trade-offs of having a toddler definitely outweigh the drawbacks. I finally have someone who WANTS to go to Ikea with me.

When you're moving to booster seats and the table, you might want to invest in a "splat mat" or some sort of thing under the kid's chair if you have a rug. I also found the baby bjorn trough bibs a real lifesaver. And Ikea makes oversized placemats that are cute and easy to clean. A combination of those items has kept meals from turning  to tragedy in our house. Mostly.

Oh, and our  ped said that she usually tells parents to switch to 2% milk at 2 as well. Although in the case of our daughter she said to keep her on whole milk because she is so skinny.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'm avidly reading all the comments on transitioning to toddlerhood. DH just said the other day that he was glad we chose a three syllable formal first name for our daughter (she's gone by a two syllable nick name from day one) - because now that she's a toddler, we like having three syllables to get through when she is being naughty. 

My great eater now won't each any greens but beans and peas, and won't eat anything she can't feed herself. We give her a container of yogurt and a spoon, hope for the best and mop up afterwards. I worry our compromises to get food into her will result in bad table manners and habits long term.

I have to look at older posts to see what's been said, but I am struggling with a new bedtime routine, it seems like jammies, bottle, books, song, bed is disrupted by the fight to brush teeth and before bed diaper check - I feel like the dipey change and teeth brush get her all riled up again. 

I forgot to say happy B-Day to all the October babies, Lost, IPW and soon Poppy et al. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

GC--have you tried plumsmart juice?  It worked wonders for our DD who was constipated off and on from about 18 months to 22 months or so.  It tastes way better than prune juice.  Also, I second the p fruits.  The pedi might want you to use miralax or something similar.  I hope baby GC gets over this quickly!

Happy birthday baby IPW!!!  I couldn't remember exactly who was right around my DS's birthday!

Oh and speaking of birthdays, his 1 year check-up... 28lbs 15oz and 32 inches.  The kid is HUGE still!!!  My 3 y.o. daughter weighs 30lbs.  Ha!  At least he's proportionately huge!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

[QUOTE]why don't you do all the diaper, face wash, toothbrushing before getting into pajamas and reading a book?  ah, because it's a formula/milk bottle?  can you switch that to water, then it won't matter?  or get rid of the bottle and replace that with lots of snuggles and books.  because I'd agree, you want to have the snuggling and book reading and rocking to be the last thing before going to bed.  especially because the bathroom has bright lights, etc, and would get anyone awake again.

Can you work on getting rid of bottle before bed, or at least switch that to water?
    Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

ML- us too! we are struggling with the huge increase in our need to shape his behavior. our seemlingly sweet DS has turned into a grabbing, no sharing, meanie at times... he tends to tower over the other kids at day care and just takes what he wants. however, if we use a stern voice he laughs (e.g., no throwing), and if we raise our voice he bursts into tears (this- ironically- happens more to grandma but it happens mostly with safety stuff). However, he has become much more snuggly and huggy, especially when he is upset. argh!! I thought we had until 2!!  I can't figure out sometimes if he is just trying to be soothed after I have taken something away from him or if he is trying to get it back!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Our daughter went through the "terrible twos" between 1 and 2. I've been told that's not unusual -- something to do with the emergence of free will running headlong into a lack of vocabulary. The good news is that she was over the most horrifying behavior right around the 2-year-mark.