October -- Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: October -- Infants & Toddlers

ALF and Lily (for your DH) have you tried coconut milk creamer, ice cream or milk for cereal?  That's what I have instead of cows milk, almond, or soy.  It's delish!! The coconut creamer is thick and better for you than 1/2 &1/2 anyway.   I went through many "milks" including oat and rice and finally decided coconut is the way to go! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'll let DH know.  We use Lactaid.  They even have ice cream and half and half now.
    I'll get him some if I see it at the store.  Do I need to go to Whole Foods or can I get it at a regualr grocery store?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks, ajuly. I abhor coconut or anything supersweet. :-)  I did try rice and almond milk and nearly vomited.  I'd rather spend the $$ on the goat milk and enjoy it.  I use the barest amount of half and half in my coffee [just enough to cut the taste] and just deal w/ the sniffles and gas.  If I were actually lactose intolerant like Lily's DH, rather than just sensitive, I may feel differently, but I just have dairy in moderation. 

I've tried frozen yoghurt and other 'fake' icecreams, but generally have an adverse reaction to them.  I can't digest aspartame - it makes me writhe on the floor in pain like someone is stabbing me in the gut until it goes through me - so I am leery of trying anything. They keep coming up w/ different names for aspartame and the kid behind the counter usually has no idea what is in whatever they are serving.

I'm just the weirdo who buys 3 quarts of goat milk at the grocery store - the cashier always gives me a look.  lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

misslily, you should be able to find Lactaid at any grocery store, no need for Whole Foods.  

But, speaking of Whole Foods, it might be worth one trip to try things.  They don't advertise it, but they are happy to open things for you to try and not buy if you don't like it.  I was looking for a dairy-free cheese, and I asked them to open a couple of things, and they did quite cheerfully.  I hated both things ("soy cheese" was particularly inedible, and I don't remember the other product).  They just ended up cutting them up for samples for any patron that wanted to try them.  No loss.

Trader Joe's will do the same thing - ask to try stuff, and if you hate it they don't mind at all.  They also put whatever it is out for samples.  Even if you aren't a convert, they end up selling more for having opened something.

ALF, fwiw, I can't digest Nutrasweet, either.  I bloat up like a whale and am pretty darned uncomfortable.  If I want something sweet (occasionally), I get the real thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DH and I cannot come to an agreement on CIO.  I truly believe that we are doing DD a disservice by allowing her to be up for 1-3 hours at a time, but he will not let me do CIO.  Last night he agreed to it, but gave in after 22 minutes.  I was actually proud of him for lasting that long.  But we can't be wishy washy about this - either we go for it or we don't.  I am probably in the dog house today; After she had been up for close to 3 hours, and he wouldn't let me try CIO again, I went to bed and told him it was his problem :o(

Does anyone have advice or experiences to share?  I want DH and I to be a team and clearly I did not act like a team player last night... But I feel like I'm the one who keeps track of how much she sleeps and I'm the one who reads books and yet he is standing in the way of what I think needs to be the next step... And thus he is standing in the way of the baby, and me, getting sleep!  Clearly I need to to tell him this tonight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

How old is your baby Fram?  What's her day like?  Does she nap?  Is she in a crib?  

We never used CIO.  It wasn't for us.  However, we didn't have any real sleep issues with our kids and I could deal with the 1-2 wake-ups if necessary because I could just nurse them right back to sleep.  Only rarely would my kids be up and awake at 3:00 a.m.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Okay, I actually took the time to look.  So DD is 8 months.  Is she crawling?  Is she sitting up?  Is she on the verge of any major milestone? Has this sleep disruption been going on for a week or months?  

There.  I've exhausted my question allowance for the moment.  

FWIW, my son (1 year) still occasionally wakes up once per night and he usually does it when there's something happening (tooth, walking, learning how to growl??!!--yes, that's his new skill.  He wants you to growl back and forth with him).  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Add my DD to the list put on Miralax.  After trying everything, this was my last resort and seems to be working ok.  The doctor said she might not have to be on it too long, just enought to regulate her and so she is not scared to go on potty.  I hope it works, It really makes me sad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Echoing Lostgrouse...I've always taken DD's cues to tell us when to put her down (a yawn, rubbing eyes, just looking tired), and we always start by snuggling with me or her dad, then when she's almost asleep, putting her down.  Not that we don't have an evening routine, with bath, pjs, bottle, story, but if she's not doing sleep cues by the story, we just keep reading or will let her play a little longer.  Never seems to be more than an extra 20 minutes or so.  She'll occasionally cry for a bit, and we will leave her, but when I had tried putting her down at the same time every day, it really didn't work for us...lots of crying and making herself sick a couple of times. 

And also the developmental milestones make a HUGE difference in DD's sleep.  If she's about to cut a tooth, sleep is off for a good day or two unless I realize it's coming and do some baby advil before bed.  When she first learned how to stand, that was a tough one too...she'd wake up, pull herself up and then not know how to get back down!  Now she's more likely to wake up and settle back down, unless it's really time to get up. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Fram, when you pick DD up does she stop crying?  If so I'd let her CIO too.  What we did with DD was that I basically took over the week that we started.  DH got up one night and it was too heart breaking for him.  I think the longest DD went was 20 mins, and it was a long 20 mins. It took about a week for her to stop waking but it was really worth it.  For us neither of us would be able to happily function being up that often and for the long periods of time.  I'd also mention "the dr said" I say that pretty often when I don't have anything else...ha!

Quad, How are you doing back to work?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: October -- Infants & Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]DH and I cannot come to an agreement on CIO.  I truly believe that we are doing DD a disservice by allowing her to be up for 1-3 hours at a time, but he will not let me do CIO.  Last night he agreed to it, but gave in after 22 minutes.  I was actually proud of him for lasting that long.  But we can't be wishy washy about this - either we go for it or we don't.  I am probably in the dog house today; After she had been up for close to 3 hours, and he wouldn't let me try CIO again, I went to bed and told him it was his problem :o( Does anyone have advice or experiences to share?  I want DH and I to be a team and clearly I did not act like a team player last night... But I feel like I'm the one who keeps track of how much she sleeps and I'm the one who reads books and yet he is standing in the way of what I think needs to be the next step... And thus he is standing in the way of the baby, and me, getting sleep!  Clearly I need to to tell him this tonight.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    My husband was really reluctant to sleep train. I had to physically restrain him from going in to "rescue" his baby. (There's a funny episode of Modern Family about this too.) I finally convinced him by haranguing him with facts from Nurtureshock about the effects of sleep deprivation on children (definitely worth a read -- it will totally change your thinking about your child's sleep). This blog has a pretty good distillation of the chapter on sleep: http://mommymanders.com/2011/10/06/nurtureshock-lessons-on-sleep-the-lost-hour/. These two quotes were enough for my husband: "The loss of one hour of sleep is equivalent to the loss of 2 years of cognitive development"; and "Sleep disorders can impair children's IQ as much as lead exposure."
    Also, I was losing my mind from lack of sleep. Literally going crazy.
    We used Ferber. I liked that you check in with the baby -- I didn't want her to feel abandoned. And seeing her rage escalate when I'd check in made me realize that she wasn't sad or sick or hungry -- she was just super ticked because she wasn't getting her way.
    We sleep trained at 13 months but if I have another I will do it earlier, around 6-8 months depending on the baby. The arguments I presented to my husband aside, I mostly trained her for my own sake. But the change I saw in her behavior, mood, and physical/emotional/mental development was so dramatic, I realized that, as you said, I was doing her a disservice by not instilling healthy sleep habits earlier.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DH called today - didn't think that would happen - and he is not furious with me.  Phew!!!  I feel so much better.

To answer some questions.  DD is 8 months.  She takes 2 2-hour naps at day care and usually goes to bed at night around 7-7:30. Overall she is an excellent sleeper, but every few nights she wakes up - not from hunger.  I am grateful that she sleeps as well as she does, I just worry about the nights when she does wake up because she stays awake for 1-3 hours.  It's really not good for her to lose 3 hours of sleep and that is what I keep reminding DH.  I think I'm going to force a Weissbluth chapter on him tonight.  (Even if "some guy" at work told him today that DD is too young to CIO.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Ferber, ferber, ferber.  And go get the book - don't just try to figure out by yourself when to go in.  I used to set the timer so DH would know when he or I could go back in.  No picking up or anything, but they know you are there for them.  Ferber also has lots of other common sense advice about all kinds of sleep issues for babies as they get into toddlerhood etc.
    And 8 months isn't too young.  I started sleep training my twins at 16 weeks!  That's when the night nurse said to start, so that's what we did.  They don't seem to have been harmed in any way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

In Response to Re: October -- Infants & Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I'll let DH know.  We use Lactaid.  They even have ice cream and half and half now. I'll get him some if I see it at the store.  Do I need to go to Whole Foods or can I get it at a regualr grocery store?
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

Lily, they sell it at many stores now shaws, (only the non-refrigerated cartons), hannaford as well as Whole Foods.  I usually stock up at whole foods. I buy the unsweetened kind and it has no sugar compared to regualar milk that has 8g or more of "naturally occuring" sugar.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram - your DH works with "SOME GUY", the infamous dad who posts the harshest of opinions on here?!?!?!  LOL!

Sorry, the idea of that cracked me up.

I wish you luck with the CIO - it is so hard, especially if both parents are not on the same page.  If it makes you feel any better, DH and I had a few AWFUL nights of trying CIO when one of the other of us really didn't want to do it, lots of arguing and not speaking the next day, and it totally sucks... but then it worked!!  and everything was ok again.  you get through it.  I feel for you, and I know that feeling of relief when he calls when you don't think he's going to.  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

So I have a related sleep question that Fram's post made me ponder...

(Fram, I hope you don't mind if I use your DD as an example in my ponderings below...)

Fram's DD sleeps 4 hours worth of naps per day.  Then currently is awake between 1-3 hours in the night.  So I'm guessing her DD is getting approximately 14 hours of sleep per day.  Then we have my DD.  She takes 2 naps per day, and each one lasts between 30-45 minutes.  Then she sleeps about 12 hours at night.  So my DD, although she is sleeping through the night, is actually getting less sleep than Fram's DD.

So what I'm wondering is, how does this figure in to the whole theory of, "The loss of one hour of sleep is equivalent to the loss of 2 years of cognitive development"; and "Sleep disorders can impair children's IQ as much as lead exposure."  ??  Thoughts?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Weissbluth had a graphic of some sort with a range of sleep amounts by age group. I didn't pay much attention to it because I had a general idea of how much sleep my daughter needed, and I think that's probably true for most moms. And uninterrupted sleep is better than interrupted sleep -- something about the different cycles you go through. Daisy knows this stuff. Daisy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I don't really expect anyone to coach me through the whole thing, I just do sometimes worry because DD is not a good napper.  I should just do the research my damn self!  :)  But it's so difficult when I know you are all here and so knowledgable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy, I also prefer here to my own research.  :)

Fram, I feel like with a nighttime waking where they need to get back to sleep, the dichotomy is CIO vs. snuggles and/or feeding, but in either case they go back to sleep.
    But in your case, it sounds like snuggles and/or feeding are not helping her go back to sleep... the LO is just plain old awake?  Is that right?

I don't know what to say about that.  And actually, our 14 month old has been having the same thing this week.  I have no idea what's going on.  She's mad when we get her and mad when we don't.  Maybe it's the phase of the moon!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I have a similar question as Poppy. My DS is a great sleeper, once asleep. And that used to be easy. 7pm came, plop him down in crib, turn on lullaby and within 5 mins he'd be out. Waking between 5-5:30 gave him 10-10 1/2 hrs sleep. Now, and this past week every night, I still put him down at 7, and I hear babbling and singing for 45 minutes. I'm being serenaded right now and he's been in his crib 35 mins. He turns on his lullabies 3-4 more times and just hums/moans along. His naps are so varied, can do 2 totaling 4 hours or can do 1 1 hour. I wonder if I'm missing the window and putting him down too late. I'll get an occasional yawn at 5:30 but I get home at 5:15, so can't get him fed, bathed, etc that fast. Should I just trust that he's just self regulating and hopefully not losing all that cognitive brain power? Now tonight for example, i can still hear him so he's getting closer to 8pm when he'll finally nod off, and will wake at 5:30. That's only 9 1/2 hours, which sounds so low.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Hi Everyone. 
    IPW - have you thought about having the room quiet?  Perhaps he is too distracted by the music?  I do think if he is just babbling and finally goes to sleep on his own, there is not much you can do other than try an earlier bedtime.  DD is tired at around 6:00.  It is sometimes a struggle to get it all done, I agree.

Poppy - With regards to naps, one I would not sweat it too much since we are all approaching the transition to one nap.  Did you ever have her CIO for naps?   We used to do that as well.  So if the nap was only 30 minutes we would let her CIO. Ultimately, this definitely lead to longer naps.  She used to literally wake up at exactly 30 minutes.

Fram- Oh it is so hard when you are not on the same page!  I am not sure I could have done CIO without my husband there on my team.  DD was difficult but boy did it pay off.  People often talk about children waking up for developmental milestones/teeth, etc.  I have never experienced that (and she has 10 teeth).  Even though it was tough to do CIO, the result is a super sleeper and very little crankiness.  We had to keep saying to ourselves, this CIO is as much for her as it is for us and then really had to believe it.  That is what kept us going.
    Literally, she hands me the pacifier before going to her crib and that is the end of that.  She may talk a little but that is it. 

I admire those who try to tackle CIO at the older ages but I think I would have such a hard time with that.  We started at 3 1/2 months b/c she was waking up constantly every hour.  Ideally, I would probably start closer to 4 months particularly for naps.

I CANNOT tell you how much I am dreading this with our new baby.  I am hoping we just get a good sleeper.  I can't remember who posted about their baby waking up 1-2 times but going to sleep right away.  I would take that anyday and proabaly would not bother with CIO in that situation.  DD would be the most underslept, cranky baby if we followed her lead. I would probably be in an institution - I don't do well without sleep.

As for us - Oh my goodness she was 32.5 inches and 26 lbs at her 12 month check up.  Holy big child.  She is so tall it is crazy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'm sorry, Poppy, I didn't mean to sound snotty. I just meant to say that if you feel like your kiddo is getting enough sleep she probably is -- trust your instincts and don't worry too much about what the "right" amount of sleep is supposed to be if your baby is happy and seems rested. My daughter needs a LOT of sleep -- when she can sleep in on weekends she usually goes 7:30 pm to 8:30 or 9 am, and then naps for 2 hours. She's always needed that much sleep, but she wasn't getting it before we trained her, and she was a total crankypants.

IPW, my daughter will sing or talk to herself or her toys at night sometimes too. I kind of play it by ear -- if she sounds like she's soothing herself to sleep I let it go, but if she sounds like she's having a great time and maybe ramping up a bit I go in and tell her to pipe down and go to sleep.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram,  a book on passive aggressiveness, (edited post)

I'm not saying that's always the reason behind non-cooperation, but figured our experience might prove helpful to share just in case it strikes a chord.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for all your input!

Medford - She does seem to just be awake for no reason.  DH keeps coming back to teething, but I think if she were teething she wouldn't stop crying so easily.  She usually only takes a minute or two to calm down in our arms and start sucking her thumb, but then she won't let us put her down.

Big improvement last night - She woke up after 45 minutes again.  I handled the whole thing and had her back to bed after an hour instead of 4 hours.  Still think we need to do CIO, but at least she didn't lose 4 hours of sleep last night.

Kar - I absolutely think that could be part of it.  Sometimes I think he disagrees just to assert himself.  We'll figure it out!

Poppy - I think if your DD is sleeping through the night and going to bed without a struggle, that is a very good indication that she's getting enough sleep.  I would be worried about the naps too, because I worry about sleep constantly.  My DD only gets 14 hours if she doesn't wake up at night.  And on weekends, she still only naps for 45 minutes at a time most of the time. 
    I'm actually going to try to let her CIO for naps this weekend (DH will be at work!) and see if she'll nap for 2 hours like she does at daycare.  I'm sure it won't work right away but I'll try.  SO much for getting out of the house this weekend!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, if you think that could be part of it, you could order the book (linked above) and skim some yourself and see if it's worth suggesting reading together.