October Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Re: October Infants & Toddlers

Med--you could try a legs only swaddle or try the Magic Merlin sleep suit. DD became obsessed with sucking her thumb overnight so we switched legs only swaddle by not fully zipping her woombie. But I've heard the Merlin suit is great. 

The challenge we've been dealing with is that DD comes home from daycare so exhausted that she just wants to nurse and sleep in my arms from 4-7 pm almost continuously. If I put her down, she starts wailing. Once we hit her bedtime, i can put her down in her crib but not earlier. In other ccircumstances, I don't have trouble getting her to nap in her crib or fall asleep on her own after some soothing. But when she gets home she is just so tired and so clingy. 

She seems to like daycare just fine although she has trouble napping there for longer than 45 minutes in a stretch. Have any other daycare moms dealt with this? Any ideas? DD is 3.5 months old.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, KAM. We seem to be getting better. Had several nights of DS going to bed happy, and last night he was in a weird hyper mood and cried for a few minutes after going down but calmed himself. Fingers crossed!

Med - DS was the same way around that age. We used the Halo Sleepsack with the swaddle flaps. For awhile, we just swaddled him fully even though he usually broke at least 1 arm out, but once it became silly to bother we just fastened them under his arms. 

Siena - Is she on a nap schedule, and is daycare following it? At 3.5 months she' probably a bit young for that to be the issue, but if she's starting to get sleep rhythms that might be part of it. What's the room situation? Is she in with other kids napping? Do they follow the same routines you do when putting her down? 

FWIW, when DS was still on a 2 nap schedule at home (just recently -- up until he was about 17 mos), he always did only 1 at daycare and even that was usually much shorter than at home. I think he was so stimulated there that he wouldn't go to sleep until he was utterly exhausted, but because it was off his normal routine he never slept long. We kept asking and i think the provider did her best to follow our schedule and routine, but he just wouldn't do it there. Since we've moved him to 1 nap at the same time as his daycare nap, he's started sleeping much longer and better there. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

If DD is only 3.5 - she may just need to have that contact. DD is 13 months, and she still needs that half hour right after coming home just to nurse and hang on to me, even if she is not sleepy. (and even DS at 3 years still sometimes tries to push her off me in that same window of time for his mommy time). Even if they love daycare, they seem to just want to be touching/cudding me for a while when they get home. When I went back to work after 3 months, both kids would glue onto me just as your DD is doing.

As for naps... no idea. I found both of my kids had hard time napping in the infant room because there was always a few kids playing or screaming so they never settled down. DD only started napping an hour or longer when she got mobile and more tired. As soon as they moved to the next room where everyone is put to nap at the same time, they napped for 2 hours (DD just moved up, and she naps there like a champ). So it is really dependent on the baby.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Unfortunately I agree with cwag that post-daycare time is clingy time.  And my DD almost never napped more than 45 minutes at a time anywhere until she went to one nap a day, so I'm not very helpful here.  DS (5 months) usually will do 3 naps at daycare, between 30-90 minutes each, but usually between 45-60.  And, he'll usually catch a nap on the way home in the car (20 minutes) and I'll let him keep napping for another 20 after we get home.  Any chance your LO could catch a nap on the commute to refresh her a bit?

Thanks for the swaddle ideas!  I will try legs only tonight.  I have heard great things about the merlin suit, but I think it's supposed to be ideal if they startle awake, but he doesn't seem to be doing that.  I'll try legs only first!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Yes, Med, we just wrapped legs her using one of those big muslin swaddle blankets.

Siena - what does she sleep in at home and what does she sleep in at daycare?  DD slept in a rock and play at home adn when she first started daycare wouldn't sleep flat in the crib, o we had them let her sleep in the swing for awhile.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks for the thoughts! DD doesn't seem to have trouble falling asleep at daycare, but she just won't stay down long. At home she may sleep for 2-3 hours in one of her daily naps. She still gets tired within 2 hours of wakefulness and so her daycare center is putting her down for naps at that interval as I requested. I will try to transition her to a schedule in a month her so if I can, following the advice of the Healthy Sleep Habits book.  she sleeps in a crib at home and at school.  I think the noise and stimulation may be a big factor. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks for all the ideas for Christmas gifts. I have so many ideas for Christmas traditions (thanks Pinterest)! I saw something on simple gift giving where Santa brings "Something to you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read". I really like the idea to help keep me from going overboard. I think we might just start it this year. CT - I love the dropsy toys!

We have the same sleep sack as Arcain. Now that DS is turning into a side sleeper, we don't bother swaddle his arms anymore but we do swaddle his torso. He seems to like it. We actually sent one in to daycare and that was the answer to DS's sleep troubles at daycare. He doesn't always sleep great, but he does get a few catnaps in while he's there. I've noticed that he's more snuggly/hungry when he's home at night too. I thought it might have to do with the fact that he can actually nurse now so he wants to do it non-stop. I was surprised when they said at daycare that he's not very snuggly during the day, but he LOVES to be held at home. It can get annoying at times but it does make me happy that he misses us during the day. He's getting to the stage when he reaches for people and it totally makes me melt when he reaches out for me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

cwag-I just saw your posting from teh Sept thread...she does have a little buddie in her new room-someone she was in the infants room together, they were seperated last year but we are friendly with his parents so they're still familiar with each other. In fact the two of them go running off if they arrive in the building at the same time-which leads to us parents chasing the kids to get them in their room. She's fine until she sees her brother. I guess time will help her get over it. We were also out of school most of last week, so we'll see how things go this week. I do love how close she is to her brother.

I'm struggling to think of good holiday gifts for her. when I go down the "girl" section in the toy store I kinda want to throw up with how pink and sexist everything is. sad. She loves to color, so I guess it's lots of arts and crafts stuff, I'm looking for a good table and chairs for her room. Sniffle, my baby girl is growing up! I'm trying to decide when to move her out of her crib...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

DS slept a lot better last night!  I swaddled just armpits down with a muslin blanket like you suggested, Novem.  So thanks, everyone for the idea!  I will say, I had a hard time getting it super tight and he was sleeping so well that I kept getting nervous that he had wiggled out of the blanket and it was loose in his crib.  I think tonight I will swaddle him and then put the lightweight halo sleep sack over it.  Complicated, but I will sleep better!

KAM - I completely understand.  As soon as DD turned 2, all the gifts from family and friends got so... pink.  I have had much better luck at smaller toy stores and online.  They often have things like toy brooms, doll houses, et cetera that are in neutral or primary colors, even for the types of toys that are usually pink at the big box stores.  That's my preference since I want everything to be used by DS as well.  Not that DS can't play with pink things if he wants, anyway!  But DD has repeatedly chosen blue or green things over pink when there's a choice, so we are in agreement for now!

Anyway, I'm rambling.  Are there any of these things you don't have left from your DS that might be good: serious wooden blocks, duplos, easel, doll stroller, play kitchen, those cardboard bricks?  I *really* want those cardboard bricks, but I'm debating whether or not to get them this year or next.  They were the absolute hands down best toy my brother and I had growing up.  I can't remember how old we were when we got them, but we played with them well into elementary school.  They do take up a lot of room, though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Glad it worked, Med! 

I have my own blanket/sleeping question: Now that the weather's getting cold, I'm wondering how to keep DS warm enough. We always used the Halo sleepsacks, even when he was past swaddling, but it seems funny to keep using them when DS does a lot of standing and walking (though thankfully not climbing...yet) in his crib. And parents of toddlers must have done something before sleepsacks were invented, right?

We've tried giving him a blanket, but he moves around so much it's kind of useless. Do we just keep giving it to him, show him how to cover himself with it, and let him figure it out? I just don't want him to get cold while he's still figuring out the blanket...such a first-time mom thing, I know :-).

Another cold-weather topic: anyone have a cheap source for snow boots? I checked craigslist and didn't see any in DS's size, and I'm rather horrified by the prices I see online. I can accept paying $40 for shoes he wears every day so his feet develop right, but boots he might only wear a dozen times? I found some around $30 at Carter's, but I'm wondering if there are better deals out there...

Ok, enough on the cold weather talk -- it's still fall, and October baseball time! We were watching the Sox the other night and taught DS to say "baseball." Now he says it in this adorable sing-songy way every time it's on: "bay-baw! baybaw!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

HALO do make sleep sacks with feet out for walkers. DS has the 2T to 3T one (he still refuses at 3 years to have a blanket although he is no longer objecting as much about blankets as he used to) - when he was a year old, we used the fleece feetie one piece jammies and sometimes a onsie under that, and then in the summer, he got used to the 2 piece jammies and refused to do one piece ones, so last winter, we got the fleece sleep sack with feet out so he could walk in them but still be really warm at night. I saw a girl at a hotel showing up to breakfast in one which is how I knew those existed. It looks like HALO makes an early walker one too.

DD is in one piece feetie jammies so we hope to re-use DS's fleece feetie one pieces, and then most likely next year, get her the sleep sack with feet out if she hates the blanket too. We also got flannel sheets which can absorb your body heat better than regular sheets, and both kids love the flannel.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lucy617. Show Lucy617's posts

Arcain - I bought the Snow Flurry boots for DS from the Lands End website.  They are on sale for $19.99.  We had them last year too and my DS seemed fine with them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

medford--if you want a snuggly/stretchy arms out swaddle, check out the woombie.  They have one that converts to arms out, although we just don't zip her regular one up all the way.  I've never seen it come up near her face, so I feel comfortable letting her sleep that way.

Our nights got even worse this week. DD is refusing to go into her crib at bedtime.  She wails and shrieks unless she is being held by me or DH.  I think it is all from being over-tired by some long days at daycare.  (I'm trying to transition from a 6 hour to a 8-9 hour day). We didn't get her to sleep until almost 11 pm last night, and only by letting her lie next to me in my bed and then transfering to her crib.  I've never done that before!  DH is NOT a fan of bed sharing bc of SIDS risk, which I understand. I tried to stay awake but did doze lightly last night with her.  Sigh.  

Did any of you use CIO methods of sleep training?  I think she is still too young for them, but when she gets a little bigger I think I will try it.  I feel like we are not doing her any favors if she can't get to sleep...  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Siena - I rocked DS to sleep until he was 8 months old but had trouble with the transfer to his bed.  What I found worked for me is if I rocked him with a small blanket wrapped around him and then laid that down in the crib and him on top of it he stayed asleep.  It was the transition to the cold sheet that was waking him up.  I have a small "taggies" blanket that's fleece that I used.  It might be worth a shot.

Arcain - My DS sleeps in fleece feetie pjs on cold nights.  I haven't had to yet but I could layer a onsie underneath if I thought he really needed it.  He does sleep with a blanket in his crib but he uses it more to snuggle than anything else.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Arcain, my DD is 3 and in a twin bed and she still doesn't use blankets really.  Sometimes she starts under it, but it's pretty much gone in 60 seconds.  I also felt like fleece got really sweaty, so we tend to go with layers - onesies, leggings, socks...  That reminds me I need to look for some undershirts now that it's getting cold again.  I am also planning on getting flannel sheets!

Also I got snow boots last year at the Stride Rite outlet in Watertown for less than $20 - not sure if they have any now, though.

Siena, sorry you are having a hard time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Arcain - We have been putting DS in a onesie then fleece footy pjs and the sleep sack. Plus he has a blanket but as you said it is useless.  Im glad to hear about the Halo sleepers for walkers.  Im going to check them out! 

I could believe the prices on winter jackets for toddlers!  I ended up getting DS one from the GAP, the primaloft jacket which was on sale.  It says its the warmest but not with the bulk.  Im thinking of getting DS the snow pants to match and they are having a sale this weekend for Columbus Day.  Ill have to look into the snow boots on Lands End but not sure if they have toddler sizes?

Siena - DS did the same thing as your DD when I went back to work. First, I rocked him to sleep then would put in the crib asleep.  Eventually, I moved rocking him and watching for his eyes to start closing then I would lay him down while he was still awake. But a lot of the time it back fired.  Eventually, we let him CIO and it was awful for a few nights.  Now, he has no problem going to bed.  Good Luck!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks for the tips! I have to see how warm his room is once the heat comes on. It felt cold upstairs this morning, but that may have been b/c DH left the window open in his office all night. Urgh! 

Lucy - thanks, those Lands End boots look great! Pugs - they do have toddler sizes: you have to click on the boys' boots and then select the toddler tab. I'm debating whether to order online now, though. I just bought DS new shoes and he's a 5-5.5 depending on the shoes, but most boots are only whole sizes. Carters is having a big sale this weekend so I may try some while I'm there to see what works best. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Hi all!  I haven't been on lately because things have been so busy between work and home.  I just read through everyone's updates, and I have some questions of my own.  DS is almost 6 months and has not been a good sleeper since he started rolling around 3.5 months.  He really liked being swaddled but he moves around so much and likes sleeping on his stomach, so I ditched the swaddle.  Some nights (like last night) he wakes 5-6 times.  I am only feeding him one of those times.  It is really hard to manage and DH and I are arguing a lot because we are cranky and tired.  Things got a little better about a month ago after we did a sleep consult where they suggested CIO at set intervals and putting him to sleep awake.  My issue now is that he rolls around and gets stuck in a corner and then gets himself hysterically crying.  So, at that point I usually go in and get him.  This pattern isn't good for any of us.  Any suggestions? He actually tends to nap fine with usually 3-4 naps per day.

He has also been a little more fussy lately when awake, not sure why.  And he is on medicine for acid reflux.  I just feel bad that I can't seem to fix his issues.  Advice please!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Oh memes - I remember the exhaustion around this time.  DS also struggled once he started rolling.  Do you have bumpers on his crib?  He didn't like the feeling of the wood against his head even though he wasn't hitting it hard he would wake up hysterical if it touched his head.  We added the breathable bumpers and that did the trick.  Before we had those I use to sneak in a few times a night and move him back to the center of the crib.  It usually bought me a few hours at least.  Good luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

good luck, memes! this is a tough age. I don't have any advice to offer - we just have a mattress with the bed bug bumpers next to ours on the floor for our year old, which she has been using since she outgrew her co-sleeper which was around 6 months - but the cosleeper had mesh/soft sides and she never minded when she rolled to one corner so clc may have a good point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Memes - Does he have some teeth coming in?  Maybe they are hurting him and thats why he is waking up so much and been more fussy?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Memes, try dropping a nap; he might not be tired enough at night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

For boots I've had a lot of luck at Kohl's, though it takes some luck.  We live near the ocean and DD loves to go wading, even in the winter, so I have to make sure she's got well-insulated boots that are actually waterproof (including the zipper) for the days she goes in to her ankles.  I had success one year at Target but other years I found great boots but not her size and ended up leaving empty handed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Pretty sure I jinxed myself yesterday saying that DS was such a great sleeper... up from 4-530 am this morning crying for no apparent reason.  I did something that I haven't done in 8 months and gave him a sippy of milk to get him back to bed.  Why oh why did I have to say that out loud? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Wanted to share in case you all hadn't seen this! Sale on Melissa and Doug toys.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/house/bargainbin/2013/10/stellabella_toys_has_melissa.html