OT - totalled car

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OT - totalled car

I hope you don’t mind my off topic post, but I have 2 questions for y’all.  1) Have you ever totalled a car?  And 2) Do you have any suggestions for finding an inexpensive used car?  (We live on the North Shore.) 

DH totalled his car a MONTH ago and the insurance company still hasn’t settled the claim and told him how much they will pay out.  Should we be worried??  After about a week, they told him he would have to pay for a rental car from then on and they would reimburse him if everything panned out.  He has left message after message and they keep saying the investigation isn’t final yet.  I am so nervous that they aren’t going to pay out for some reason and they aren’t going to reimburse him for the rental car.  Argh!!  

He basically wants to take whatever cash they give him (probably less than $5k) and buy a car with it. Any recommendations for safe and inexpensive used cars on the North Shore?  He’s going to need a new car either way, so we should get this show on the road and buy one so we can return the rental. 
    Thanks in advance!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT - totalled car

Do you only have the $5k to work with?  What is your approximate total car budget?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The fastest way to get a response out of an insurance company or other business is to send them a certified letter.  Just write them a letter summarzing what they've verbally told yuo thus far about reimbursement, and include anything they've told you re the investigation - the name of the investigator, when the investigation started, etc and ask them to respond in writing to verify that they will be paying you as promised and that htey give you an anticipated investigation conclusion date.

A month is not that long.  Get a copy of the accident report from the responding police station if you haven't already. Even if that investigation is not complete, you should be able to get some information from them, including the police report, b/c you are an involved party.

Can't help you w/ a used car place.  I bought a new Toyota from Ira back in 2002.  Don't know that I'd recommend them. Heard bad things about the Dodge dealer on Rt 1 but that was years ago.  GL. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

I'm very sorry you are dealing with this.  Can't speak to the insurance end of things, but I highly recommend the Nissan on Rt. 1 in Lynnfield.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

FWIW, my husband's van was totalled a week ago Friday and we have already received a check from our insurance company.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Fra, in November of 2008, I was rear ended and the insurance company totaled my car.  It took me almost a month to get a check with the pay off.  I'm not sure what type of insurance you have, but I get a rental car for $30 a day for 30 days.  In this case I would have been able to get a car longer because I was rear ended.  In my case there wasn't much of an investigation as I was stopped for  red light and a huge pick up truck hit me. 

I can't help you with a used Car, but I did get a 2009 from IRA Nissan in Woburn and they were great. 

Good luck.

ETA:  It took me that long to get a check because I had to get a copy of my title from the Registry, since I had lost mine. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for your input so far!!  I'm really really hoping that what's holding up the process is the fact that the other driver drove off.  DH hit his car, but the guy just drove off.  We'll see, I guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I don't have any reccomendations for finding a new car, but I know that it can take a while to get reimbursed for a totalled car - DH was rear-ended and pushed into the car in front of him on 128. Our insurance company called the car totalled, but since it wasn't DH's fault wanted the guy who hit DH to pay for the damage to both vehicles (ours and the the one DH hit from being rear-ended). The guy who rear-ended him kept claiming that the muffler fell off our car, and that's why he hit DH. Since the muffler was still attached at the front of the car, but hanging down where it got hit, the investigation showed that his story was a load of hooey, but it took 4-5 weeks before we got the check. 

Sorry about having to deal with the whole thing though- it can suck. And for the future, you can get a rider on your insurance to cover a rental car for the entire length of time you are without a vehicle, and it isn't a whole lot extra per year on the insurance. It will also pay for a rental if your car is damaged, but repairable, while it is in the shop.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Turns out I was right to worry :o(
    The insurance company called DH yesterday and said the damage to his car is not consistent with hitting another vehicle and they won't pay out anything.  They are returning his car to our house today.  We are completely dumbfounded.  So because the other driver drove off, we are just completely screwed??  Hopefully he can appeal it.  What a mess!  Either way, we need to go car shopping this weekend!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I hope other people are around on this Friday afternoon!  Insurance company says their decision can't be appealed, so we're grasping at straws here. 
    Does anyone have any experience with trading in a piece of junk??  I wonder if we could tow his SUV to the dealer and at least get something for it.
    Any other ideas?  I've heard of people selling their cars to salvage companies (?) for a few hundred dollars.
    What about Craig's List?  The tires are brand new, so we're thinking maybe we could sell them CL.

Thanks for ANY ideas or information!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Fra - this isn't fair.  My insurer paid out a claim when I was hit in a parking lot.  Thankfully someone saw it and wrote down the others drivers license number.  He denied hitting me, but all the same, my insurer paid out for the repairs.
    How can they say that the damage isn't consistant with a crash when your DH was in a crash?  I think they are trying to get out of paying since the other driver took off.
    Pay no attention to that "you can't appeal" stuff - you can always appeal everything.  Heck - murderers get to appeal!
    Keep calling your insurer and trying to go up the chain until you get some real answers.
    BTW - who is your insurer?  I'd like to make sure I never use them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

What is the Blue Book value on the car? Is it even worth fighting over?

Most dealers will take any car for a trade in. I didn't have my car w/ me when I bought my new one and they offered me $1000 for it sight unseen and asked if it were driveable. There was nothing seriously wrong w/ my car (2002 Corolla; the engine light kept coming on - I was told by 2 mechanics that it was just an electrical glitch but that it would cost a bundle to cure the glitch and I could not pass the emission test w/o the fix, so it was time for a new car) and they were willing to give me $1k sight unseen.  I probably could have gotten more for the car if I'd brought it in and then negotiated but I was tired and just wanted to get it done w/ then.  If nothing else, the dealers can poach it for parts.

Another option - get a copy of the police report. I am assuming that your DH called the police and reported the accident if his car was totaled. If he did NOT, then this is probably part of the reason why the ins co isn't paying out. If he did fill out a report, send a copy of it to the insurance co via certified mail and demand that they reopen your case.

Of course, if the car isn't worth that much, you may be better off just seeing what a dealer would offer you for it as a trade.  And change your ins co.  GL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks ladies,
    The blue book value is around 4k, so obviously it would be better to get that then a few hundred bucks for a trade-in. 

DH didn't call the police, but he filled out a report later.  His car didn't look that bad, but he has AAA, so he figured he'd get things going.  It was in the a.m. before work, so he was in a hurry.  I think he probably didn't go about things in the best way, HOWEVER, he called his insurance while he was waiting and told them he had called AAA and they never said not to have the car towed or to call the police.

We'll keep making phone calls and trying to find a way to appeal this.  Thanks for the encouragement.

The company is MetLife.  Worst customer service I have ever seen!!  I've dealt with Traveler's insurance 3 times for accidents that were not my fault and they were SO much better than this.  The woman left him a voicemail saying they were not going to pay and then didn't return his calls for 2 days and we still haven't received anything in writing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If you haven't received anything in writing, then it's not final yet.  They may be telling you can't appeal b/c there has not been a final decision yet, so there is nothing to appeal. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If you haven't received anything in writing, then it's not final yet.  They may be telling you can't appeal b/c there has not been a final decision yet, so there is nothing to appeal. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTMum. Show CTMum's posts

Hi Fram,
    So sorry for what you are dealing with.  As I was reading the thread, I began to wonder if your insurance company was Met Life ...

About 10 years ago, I was involved in an accident near Fenway. The other driver (a Met Life customer) clearly ran into me.  It was my first accident ever so I called the police, just to be safe.  When the police arrived, she admitted she was at fault ... yet her insurance company denied the claim, saying she was less than 50% at fault.  I sued them in small claims court and won. And I had my check within 48 hours.  I remember my husband saying (he was in the insurance business at the time) that Met Life had a reputation of systematically denying claims.  It is unfair insurance practice, but I gather it worked for them as most people don't bother to pursue a claim once the company denies them.

So, long story short, based on my long-ago experience with Met Life, don't give up on this one.  If you have the time and determination.

Good luck!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Isn't MA a no fault state?  Don't they have to pay regardless?
    Tell them that if they don't reopen your case you are calling the Attorney General.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Misslily, What it really comes down to is that they're saying DH lied and that he didn't really hit another vehicle.  So because he supposedly lied, they have no obligation to pay.  It's such a nightmare.  We're going to give it a couple weeks and see if there is anything we can do to fight it.  We were THIS close to trading it in today, but it was really moving too fast for me and I want to give this our best shot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a nightmare, Fram!!  How insulting (to say the least) to your DH, too.  Sorry to hear you guys are going through that and hope it gets resolved fairly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Fram, if he was able to drive the car to work, how is it totaled? 

The delay in reporting the incident, driving to work [and away from the accident site] and then filling out reports, you are rowing against the tide. No, it's not fair that you may get nothing out of the ins co, but unfortunately, your DH did everything he possibly could wrong.  If the car is driveable, drive it to the dealership and take whatever they are willing to give you as a  trade. Or try to sell it on Craigslist.  

I'd give the ins co another try - ask to speak to supervisors, but you are probably out of luck on this one.  Next time, know that if you have a major accident or damage over $1k to your car, you do not move the car, but wait for the police to come to the accident site and document the event.  GL. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

ALF - He didn't drive it to work, he called AAA to tow it, so he could hurry up and get a rental and get to work.  Definitely was not a wise decision, but like I said, he spoke to his insurance before AAA got there and they didn't tell him not to have it towed or to get the police to the scene.  At this point, we are probably out of luck, but we'll try making a couple more calls.  I don't think it's worth it to hire a lawyer or anything like that.

We spoke to one dealer this weekend who was willing to send a tow truck for DH's truck and let us trade it in for the price of the new tires that are on it plus a little more, so at least we know we should be able to get something.  One way or another, it will be over this week and I won't have to bore you with my tales of woe!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Fram, that still stinks.  I hope you are definitely changing insurance companies!  They certainly are treating you like po-o.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Fra - he spoke to the insurance company from the scene and they are still accusing him of not telling the truth? If they didn't tell him to wait for the police, then why would he? I would have had AAA tow also.
    He should call them and remind them of this fact. I assume he can have the AAA tow driver attest to the fact that he towed him from the accident site and that he hadn't hit a fence or tree or whatever.  so he must have hit a car that drove off.
    I'd keep hassling Met LIfe until they gave in.  I'd also threaten them with a lawyer and the attorney general.
    Really - this is nonsense.
    BTW - call Liberty Mutual - I've never had a problem.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Fra - call the Mass. Division of Insurance Consumer Services section and ask if they can help with your situation and talk to the insurance company for you - 617-521-7794