PACK AND PLAY WITH NEWBORN NAPPER???? ANYBODY USING THIS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

PACK AND PLAY WITH NEWBORN NAPPER???? ANYBODY USING THIS?

hi. my dh and i are 5 months pregnant with our first child and trying to figure out our bassinet/pack and play situation... basically, we live in a one floor apartment and want something for the baby to sleep in for the few first months that can fit in our room before moving him to his crib and we also need a portable crib for overnights... we've seen these graco pack and plays that offer a playyard, yes, but also have a bassinet attachment, changing table attachment and (some) with an infant napper meant for very young babies... anyone using one of these as a bassinet??? is it worth getting the ones with the infant napper? if so, have you had them just nap in that or sleep through the night in it before later moving them to the bassinet portion of the product when they get older... just a little confused and want to make sure we are understanding the uses of these items correctly... if so, it seems to make more sense to buy this rather then a more plain pack and play AND a separate bassinet... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trhoward. Show trhoward's posts

Re: PACK AND PLAY WITH NEWBORN NAPPER???? ANYBODY USING THIS?

With my first I used a small pack n play with bassinet next to my bed for the first 2 months. I feel like DS did NOT like it. It was so big and cold compared to a cozy bassinet or Moses basket. He slept terribly in it and ended up sleeping on me most nights. My DS #2 is due in ten weeks and I plan on trying the fisher price rock n play sleeper because it is small and seems much cozier. I have a few friends that are using it for naps and travel and they really like it.

Every baby is different, that is the tricky part about decided what to buy. In a 1 floor apartment situation you may be better off with a portable bassinet in my opinion. You could get one of the inexpensive basic pack n plays down the road if you decide to. We have 2 pack n plays and only use the changing table part of it on the first floor of our house.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from twaitsfan. Show twaitsfan's posts

We ended up getting the Graco Pack N Play without the napper or table.  Instead we'd put DD in the bassinet part for naps during the day downstairs. She was fine in the bassinet part but still does not like to sleep when it is set up as a crib now.  I think it is too low to the floor, maybe??  Each baby is different, my nephew doesn't mind it.    For the night time we found a slightly used traditional bassinet on craigslist for $10 that was in great condition. We have two floors so it made sense for us to have both. If it weren't for that I would have probably not gotten both of them. The higher setting on the pnp also worked well as a changing table. We probably used it more for that than anything else.
    Good luck and congratulations!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

We had what you are describing: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4133853
    We kept it in our room for the first two months and ds slept well in it. Ours had a vibration feature that goes for several minutes to help them get to sleep. He slept in it all the time - naps and nighttime sleeping. When he was going to sleep overnight (or they best they can do the first two months), we had him in a swaddle. For naps, we'd just put him in it without the swaddle. HTH!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTSept06. Show CTSept06's posts

We used the pack and play with the newborn napper attachment with our daughter.  When she was a newborn she would nap in it during the day, and when we travelled overnight the first couple of months she would sleep in it overnight. I thought it was a great addition to the pack and play for when they are really small because the regular mattress part was just so big for newborns. I felt like we got a good amount of use out of this for the first few months, but that said, my daughter arrived a month early so she was pretty tiny. I can't remember exactly when we stopped using the napper attachment, but I thing she outgrew the length first. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostongal19. Show Bostongal19's posts

We bought the Pack n' Play with the newborn napper/bassinet- DS used it for about 2 weeks and then he was over it.   We have a bassinet in our room that he has been sleeping in at night.  Every baby is different. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

We didn't have the newborn napper, but did have the bassinet feature.  Since it felt so big, we took our moses basket and put it in the pack n play to make her feel secure.  She was a little thing, so she slept like that until about 4 months...now sleeping in either the bassinet of pack n play or her crib.  If you're planning to get a moses basket anyway, it's a good solution.  We also used the moses basket in the crib, as a way to transition her in there...again, got her used to being in her room and seeing new things, but still safe in her smaller basket. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I originally registered for this, but when I went back to the store w/ a bunch of gift cards and store credits, I realilzed I didn't want to spend nearly 3x's the amount on that PNP for 2 really unnecessary features.

1.) the bassinet feature in my opinion is enough - babies sleep in those all the time. The napper is only good for up to 15lbs or somethign and I'm expecting a bigger baby so the investment wasn't worth it to me.

2.) you can change the baby's diaper on the floor.

I ended up getting the  $70 "pippin" style. My mom has the same one at her house and my nieces/nephews sleep in it all the time and love it. Nothing fancy, and I was able to spend the extra money on other things that we needed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

I agree with Bostongal that every baby is different.  We had the chicco play yard/pnp thing with the changing table attachment downstairs and a co-sleeper attached to our bed upstairs. DS wouldn't nap or sleep in either as a newborn. Essentially the chicco contraption served as a pricey changing table till we went away on vacation in Decemeber and DS had to sleep in it (he was 6mos).  I held him to sleep (awful) till he was almost 2.5 months old.....part of that was his reflux too and no wedge or elevated surface helped.

If I could do it all over again I would have gone with an affordable bassinet or moses basket for the beginning and then reevaluated our needs after we had been home awhile. Its so hard to plan.

Sorry to be wishy washy. HTH!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I have the pack n play with the newborn napper.  I thought the newborn napper was going to be useless but DS absolutely loved it and slept in it for naps for the first 2 months, then he got too long for it.  I liked it a lot and purchased another one for my parents house down the cape.  We also used the changing table on it all the time.  My only complaint was that as DS got bigger he would roll to the side that wasn't supported and we had to stop using it. 

I was surprised but it worked out great for us!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

this migh be repeating b/c i just skimmed the posts but i'm trying to get RID of my super deluxe p-n-p because i just want the basic one!  i did not ever use the changing top or bassinet feature.  esp given the size of your apt - get the basic version is my advice.  it's more useful long-term for when you ultimately just want it for travel or popping the baby in to contain him/her.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Congratulations!  I have a pack and play with a bassinet for the first floor.  It's similiar to this one:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11231379&searchURL=true

We also had a co-sleeper attached to our bed.  DD slept in both for naps and did not have a problem (we swaddled her).  We also used the changing table often and I agree with IPW that it was helpful after a c-section. 

It does take up a significant amount of space but it worked for our needs.  I agree with the other posters, every baby is different and you won't really know until your LO arrives.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

If you are really just on one floor, you don't need to get a PnP with a changer, you can just do it in the nursery.  And my word of caution on an infant napper would be, you never know how big the baby will be (my first was almost 11lbs and 23 inches) or how quickly the baby will grow.  So you may not get your money's worth out of an infant napper.  I recommend saving your money and just getting a PnP with a basic bassinet attachment. 

That said, my DS slept in our room in the bassinet portion of the PnP happily for probably longer than he should have (after he out grew his actual bassinet) while his twin hated hers.

Every baby is different.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

wow thanks so much everyone for your advice! i definitely needed it... it was especially helpful to read about the any different ways your babies managed to "sleep" (lol!) during the first few months... i'm planning to share all this info with my hubbie and then make a (much better informed, thanks to all of you) decision.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sesvv. Show sesvv's posts

We used a pack and play with bassinet attachment as our only crib for the first two months as we were planning to move and didn't want to buy one in the interim (for our at the time very small apt).  Works great.  Also doubled as a changing table.  Of course our first baby was an easy baby who would sleep often and easily.  Our second, on the other hand preferred to cry...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We have twin,s so sleeping in our room wasn't an option.  Our babies slept in their crib for the first night they were home.  I put a twin bed in there and slept in with them often so DH could get a full nights sleep and go to work.  I have a friend with a singleton who did this too.
    We used pnp with bassinet and infant napper feature in the family room for daytime naps until they were about 2 months old - then just the bassinet.
    I never used the changer - too small IMHO - we have a changing table downstairs.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aidansmama. Show aidansmama's posts

We had the newborn napper and my son napped and slept at night in it until his feet were about to dangle off the edge.  I loved that it kept him snug at night and I didn't have to worry about im rolling over.  When we bought the Pack n Play I didn't think we'd get a ton of use out of it but it was a great help!  I have now removed the napper but still use the changing table and my son is 6 months old.  Good luck with your pregnancy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I think most everyone will need a PnP, whether for the early weeks home, other floor, grandma's, or a safe place to put LO for a few min once they are mobile... so the question becomes how fancy?  (DD Is into Fancy Nancy at the moment!)

In my opinion, less is more.  We bought a pretty basic model for 60 bucks and it has been worth every penny!  #1 slept in it (in the higher/bassinette location) in our room for the first 6 to 8 weeks and #2 for the first 4 months (they share a room now).  We also live on one floor and I never used the changing table attachement.  That thing has been camping, to hotels, to both grandmas, I used to put DD in it with a few toys when I packed the car in the morning

congrats on your upcoming new arrival!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsBlahdidah. Show MrsBlahdidah's posts

My DD loved the newborn napper attachment. We had it set up in the living room (still do, except we've removed all attachments, as she's now 8 mos. old. She just plays in there now.) She'd nap in the napper all the time. It was cozy and it cradled her.  It wasn't totally necessary, but she liked napping in there, so it worked for us.  She didn't sleep there over night though. We had a bassinet in our room that came with our stroller.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from robinreale. Show robinreale's posts

I used the newborn napper til DD was exactly 3 months old. She is on the smaller side and she was not rolling at the time. They say you can use it til baby is 3 months or rolling. After that we removed the newborn napper and she sleeps in bassinet portion now - still in our bedroom. (She is 4 months and 1 week old).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

We live in an apartment, so I opted not to get a pack n play due to space issues.  Once the baby is more mobile, I may get a hand me down from a friend.

For now, DD sleeps in this in our room.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fisher-Price-Newborn-Rock-and-Play-Sleeper/11149739