September - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

September - Infants and Toddlers

Welcome to September! I know it has caught me by surprise, and since the new I&T thread hasn't started, I know the rest of you must be busy too! So here is an update for my LO...

DS is now 9 months old and at his check-up was 20lbs and 28 3/4 inches long. He looks like such a big kid to me, but is pretty much right in the middle with his weight and a little tall with the height. His two bottom front teeth are through and making their way to being all the way up. DS is now absolutely interested in "big people" food. Even if he has eaten his own dinner first, he will stare at yours as if he has never eaten before in his life! It is pretty cute and he is doing very well with getting small bites of table food. I think I may have to invest in an immersion blender so I can blend up whatever we are having for him when it isn't something that can easily be made into small enough bites. Any thoughts/advice on that?

DS has been a pretty good sleeper all along, and we are now just starting to get to the point where he realizes that we pick him up when he cries, so he makes this "fake" crying thing that makes me crazy. But it upset my DH to hear him cry, especially in the middle of the night, so the sleep training has now begun in my house. DS went down into his crib awake last night and I stayed and played with him a little, turned on the overhead light projecter thing and had some music going. He whined a little but did just fine. Fingers crossed for the rest of the weekend...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: September - Infants and Toddlers

LCG- so crazy that kids at 9 mon can already fake a cry to get something from us!  :) 

AFM- DS is 4 1/2 mon. and rolling all over the place. He is no longer in the same spot from where I left him, esp. in his crib. He now rolls to his tummy when he sleeps, which wakes him up and he cries. So from about 8 when we put him down he wakes up 3 or 4 times until he is in a deep sleep and doesn't mind being on his tummy.  If we leave him to just CIO he gets more and more frustrated and then I have to feed him to sleep again.    
        I am back at work, school started before labor day for us.  It was a tough first week, but I am able to make pumping at work, work.  I am actually getting more milk than he needs right now since I have a ton in the morning.  He is going longer between feedings (3hrs) on the bottle with our nanny, but when he's with me he's still eating every 2 hrs! I wonder if it's because he smells my milk and/or for comfort. 
      It feels good to get through the first week of work and know that I can do it! I have to keep telling myself that though because I can see how easy it would be for me to get super stressed out when I have a full time "job" once I get home to take care of LO. Good bye to any "me" time! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Congratulations on your first week back, ajuly!
    I had the same experience with the baby nursing more frequently with me than she would want a bottle from my mom.  I think it stayed that way until she starting eating substantial quantities of solid food.

We are doing okay.  Lots going on with the transition to daycare, including that she brought home a stomach bug.  She is fine now, although we did take her to the doctor since it was the first real stomach bug.  Now that we know what to look for, I will definitely not take her again for ordinary "sick".  The appointment was tough -- she cried and cried, especially when they wanted to weigh her.  (Which was fine; she had only dropped a few ounces, down to 18 lb 15 oz from 19 and 3 at the one year.)  Anyway, then I got the bug which was awful.  I need to be much more careful about not sharing her germs now that she's getting them from daycare!  I have been un-careful until now, and it was a terrible feeling to be so sick I couldn't take care of her.  Thank goodness for my husband and my mom!  How do single parents do this???

Hope everyone is going to get a long weekend!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

Medford - I know exactly how you feel about being too sick to take care of your LO. I had an incredibly bad stomach bug early in the summer. I started feeling bad at the end of the work day, but thought I could tough it out. I threw up on the sidewalk getting to my parking garage at work, then I pretty much kept on throwing up all night. I tried to pick up DS from daycare, and I couldn't even lift him into the car. It was a nightmare and really tough since my DH wasn't in a place where he could easily come get me. We got DS safely into the car and he was in a good happy spot and I made it driving about half a mile up the road from daycare before my DH and MIL had to come get us. And I felt like death for about 2 days and couldn't do anything to help the baby. It was the worst feeling in the world! I'm glad to hear you are all feeling better now - fingers crossed for a strong immune system for DD!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congrats on making it through your first week, ajuly!

LCGC, that sounds awful!!  I went to the doc for a sinus infection right before DD was due.  He said everyone warns you that your children will get sick from day care, but don't forget that you and your husband will get sick too!  He basically said to expect to be sick for the next two years.  Such a pleasant thought :oP

And on that note, DH has a cold, which I believe DD and I have just caught as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

DD was sick/grumpy/icky all last week.  Had a low grade fever for a couple of days, a terrible diaper rash (due to some diarrhea), and was generally not herself.  It was the first time in her 10 months that she's really been off. 

The good news is that she's back to herself, rash is gone, and she's also back to sleeping through the night, in her crib!  This is huge, since ever since she started teething in early July, she's been up 2-3 times a night, and more often than not, ended up in our bed.  So all three of us are sleeping better!

Good thing, since all she wants to do now is stand up and "walk" (either holding hands or holding onto the couch/ottoman/coffee table/whatever's there).  All going by too fast!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Luv - what did you find worked best for the diaper rash?  DS had his first little bug this past week.. just so happens that he also started daycare so I don't think it's a coincidence.  he's had quite a few loose stools.. usually once a day and one day it was about 8 times which triggered the diaper rash..  it's leveling out now and the stools are getting harder and less frequent but the poor rash.  Now I just found out one of the kids at daycare got strep!  :-(  i hope he doesn't get that too.. oh the woes of daycare! 

on a good note, he turns 7 months tomorrow!  he's a wopping 22lbs and 29 inches!  he's been sleeping through the night in 11 hour stretches for the last couple weeks (big yay!).  I think he's going to skip crawling and go straight to walking as all he wants to do is stand and have you hold him while he lifts his feet like he's walking.  and no teeth yet either.. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

There must be something going around! DD was super crabby this week, had quite a fever and we blamed it on teething. After 3 days DH took her in for a sick visit and they told us she had pink eye! Of course, we immediately realized we all had it. Once the fever went down, DD was happy, slept and independent - but while she was sick, ugh, no one slept, she wouldn't eat (we actually gave her a flav-r-ice we found in the freezer, her first corn syrup!)

Med, I am sorry you were so sick!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Jan - Triple Paste is the BEST for diaper rash.  Spread it on nice and thick - usually works in 12 hours...really! :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: September - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]we actually gave her a flav-r-ice we found in the freezer
    Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]
    We bought pedialyte popsicles (which I now believe are just flavorice with salt added) for the LO and it ended up that only I ate them!  She also despised the liquid pedialyte.
    Considering how truly rotten I have been feeling, I am actually pretty impressed with how well she did.  Even when she threw up *everywhere* in the middle of the night, she seemed more confused than upset.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Hi Everyone, Its been a while since I posted.
    I second the triple paste, that is all we use.  It is expensive but a tub lasts forever.

So DS was 7 weeks old yesterday.  I have to admit he has not been the easiest baby in the world to take care of during the day.  He doesnt nap very well, constantly has to be held which makes it hard when I am also chasing a 2 1/2 year old and managing the house.  On the other hand, I cant complain too much because he has been sleeping 8 hours straight at night since 5 weeks.  He goes to bed at 10ish and bascially sleeps till 6.  It took DS 12 weeks to sleep this well.   Some of you may remember we ended up in the ER when he was 3 days old becuase he would not eat, found it it was the powered formula he did not like.  Well I have been mixing the past few days and half and half works well but when I moved to 3 oz of powder and 1 liquid the feeding was a little more diffucult.  I am wondering if I might just stick with the liquid.  Traveling is the only really diffucult part.

I have also managed to potty train DD during my maternity leave.  She took to it pretty quickly.  We used a sticker chart for rewards.  She is fully trained in and out of the house for peeing but we are having a really diffucult time with the p00p.  She has always has p00ping issues since she was really young.  We have controlled the constipation with her diet.  The issue is now that she seems to be scared to p00p on potty because we see her trying to go and then put her and she holds it.  Then she will p00p five times a day a little at a time.  I spoke to the doctor about it and she told me I was lucky she was trained to pee at 2 1/2 ecspecially with an infant at home and give it time.  Do I just let her have the accidents in her underwear?  I dont want to get into the habit of having her put on a pull up or diaper when she has to go.   I also read through the potty training thread.  I put a portable potty in the car and just use it when there is no bathroom available.  For instance, we were at a pond the other day just playing on the beach and she had to go.  So I use it for instances like that.

Fun to hear everyones updates, the babies are getting so big.  It does go by very quickly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Having a BM on the potty is hard for some children, especially when they tend towards constipation.  you're right, it hurts to go, which they associate with the potty, and then they hold it.... it's a vicious cycle.

So, you MUST make sure she has juice, prunes, whatever it is that helps her not be constipated.  You might want to amp up whatevery you do a bit (not too much or she'll have diarrhea which is also uncomfortable).  So can you sneak 1 prune into her at breakfast time?  or a 1/4 tsp or whatever of prune juice into her yogurt or orange juice?  or something???

Then, if she is still p00ping on the potty, altho smaller amounts and often, then I'd say it's fine, just see if you can make potty time be relaxing - not hurried. (ha! you have a newborn in the house!) but really, pretend you have all the time in the world as you sit with her and sing songs or talk about your day... rather than saying you really gotta hurry up, honey, we need to leave soon, or baby needs to eat.... "

if she's really just withholding, then you might consider that she tells you when she needs a diaper, you put it on for the p00p, then take it off immediately. 

I know this feels like "going backward" but remember, diapers (and bottles and sippy cups) are transitional items - they will move toward the real thing (underpants and regular cups) eventually.  The good news - she recognizes when she has to have a BM, she can tell, and she can hold and let go.  So she's def. trained, has the concept, just scared to death!  If you do this system, then make sure it's done in a calm, non judgemental way - you're not angry at her, or disappointed, you know she'll get it, and soon she'll go potty for both #1 and #2.

The other alternative is that she has accidents for BM in her underpants - but if she does this lots she's not learning anything, is she, (other than how to do multiple loads of laundry...)? 

You'll have to decide how best to handle it.... 

But what you DON'T want is a child who holds her BM for a day or days and ends up so constipated she CAN'T go, it HURTS like bloody heck, etc. etc. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Quad I worked to potty train DD during my leave too and it went well.  P00p was a little bit of an issue for us too, the first day you could really tell she was trying to control it.  I tried coaxing her all day but and she did eventually go.  She still get a little scared when she has to go but I try and make a huge deal out of it and tell her how proud I am of her...she loves to hear that.  I agree with CT too, I'd put her back in a diaper or pull up if she is absolutely refusing as I'd hate to have her get sick from holding it.  Also glad to hear that DS is tranistioning to the powder - will make life a little easier and save a few bucks while you're at it! 

DS will be 6 (YIKES!) months in about 2 weeks, boy has time flown.  He is the sweetest little guy.  He is sitting up now and loves hearing his voice and playing in bed.  He talks up a blue streak when he wakes up in the morning, I think because the rest of the day DD is talking the day away and he can't get a peep in.  He is an eating champ and we have introduced all the foods except for green ones and meat.  Pedi told us to wait on those, anyone else wait til 6 months to introduce green foods?

Other than that looking forward to some fun fall activities!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

KT - I've never heard that about waiting to try green foods, but it seems like ever doc has something different to say about food!  DD has only tried peas, as far as greens go, and it's the one things she really hated - I think she was just about 6 months. She made some funny faces with apple sauce and pears but ultimately ate them all up.  Next we try green beans.

DD is 6 1/2 months now and there is so much going on!!!  She was babbling constantly this weekend - dadadada and yayayaya.  She hasn't done that much and I figured it was because she's more focused on the physical stuff.  She will sit up now if you get her balanced just right, but I don't count it just yet.  She is also THIS close to crawling!!  She gets into position and does the bouncing thing, but her arms aren't quite strong enough for her to shift her weight.  Next weekend, we look for new (clean) rugs and wash the floors LOL!
    She also loves to get into that position and start bouncing while I'm trying to feed her at bedtime so that's interesting!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

I can't believe that DD is 12 weeks tomorrow.  I go back to work next week and am so not looking forward to it.  I dread leaving her at daycare!  It doesn't help that she still won't take a bottle consistently or for a full feeding so I am afraid she is going to starve.  I think it will take a week or two to get our schedule down, haven't figured out how I am going to get ready and keep her entertained as well.  I am hoping she will go back to sleep after I feed her, she doesn't always want to though.   DH won't be able to help as he is going to go to work early so he can pick her up by 4 at daycare so she is not there until 6.  

DD is full of smiles and laughs now, as long as we are at home.  She always seems to be grumpy if we go visiting for some reason.  She has started to reach for the toys on her activity mat and likes to grab on to them.  I started to sort her 3-6m clothes this weekend to see what we needed, it's sad to think she has already outgrown 2 sizes of clothes!  She was in the NB size for 6 weeks and since then seems like she has grown so much!  She is now 10.5 lbs and 23.5 inches.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Other than the sicknesses (no more stomach bugs for anyone!), lots of great updates! 

Ajuly - So glad to hear pumping at work is going ok, and that your milk supply is in full force!  Definitely plan for some "you" time over the weekends - even if someone takes DS for an hour and you can do whatever you want.  For me, at least, even an hour of that can transport my mood from monster mommy to cheerful mommy.  Better for everyone, I tell my DH! 

Luv - great news about the sleeping!

Quad - so impressed that you are able to care for a newborn and simultaneously potty-train DD.  Good luck with the p00ping!

Wed - it's so stressful when they won't take the bottle and work is looming in your future.  With us, when I went back to work DD became suddenly all fine with the bottle, where she had SCREAMED about it for the several weeks leading up to me going back.  I hope your DD does the same magical transition.

As for us, DD is about 10.5 months and the one thing that has had me in constant amazement recently is how much she takes in and learns, without anyone “teaching” her.  There are certainly things we *try* to teach her of course, and she’s quick to pick stuff up, but it’s this suddenly coming out with something that we haven’t specifically taught her that takes me aback.  She understands all kinds of words all of a sudden, and can take direction. It’s just so bizarre, but in a wonderful, fun way.  She’s finally mostly sleeping through the night, which is such a relief.  Still not a great napper though (took two measly 30 minute naps yesterday… I was exhausted monster mommy by the end of the day).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Happy September.  Hope everyone had a nice long weekend (if you had yesterday off).  I have a nap question for my almost 11 mth DS.  He goes to bed at 7pm, and M-F I get him at 5:40am, weekends I try to wait until 6am.  9 out of 10 times he is awake babbling around 5:15am.  So he still needs a very early morning nap.  Usually no later than 7:30am, and "normally" about an hour.  Then he's been good until an early afternoon nap that can run 2-3 hours.
    Yesterday (and this could have been a fluke, but my curiosity has the best of me) he slept from 8am-11am.  Eek.  Well... he then wasn't interested in any kind of afternoon nap (15 minute catnap in the stroller) and of course, by 3-4pm was a nightmare.  
    I absolutely hate waking a sleeping baby... but anyone have any thoughts if I should have woken him from the marathon morning nap?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

IPW - I cannot help you as DD takes MAYBE two 30 minute naps per day. I just had to tell you I am now suffering from EXTREME nap envy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

IPW - that same thing happened to us with our DS.  Suddenly his morning naps got longer and he was less and less interested in afternoon naps.  Eventually he went down to one nap a day. Most people told me they drop their morning nap first but that didn't happen with us.  So I just kept pushing back his morning nap later and later but he never made it later than 10:30am.  Now he just takes one nap a day at daycare usually from 12noon til about 2:30-3:00.  Hopefully it was a fluke and your DS keeps two naps going for a little longer for you!  I missed the two naps but he did take pretty long morning naps when he dropped his afternoon nap.  And it was nice to have the afternoons to go and do whatever we wanted without needing to be home for a nap!

AFM, DS turned 1 on Monday!  We had a party on Saturday with family and some friends.  It was so wonderful!!  He loved his birthday cake and managed to get it all over himself...in his hair, even in his nose!!  It was so cute and we got some great pictures.  I can't believe my baby is 1 already.  The time went so fast!

He is starting to climb everything!  If we open the fridge he tries to climb the shelves.  Open the dishwasher and he wants to climb inside.  He makes attemps to climb onto the couch but no luck, still too short.  We went for breakfast on Sunday morning and he tried very hard to get his footing to climb out of his seat.  He signs all done and we are working on more, and hungry but he doesn't seem interested.  When we pick him up at daycare he sometimes signs all done, it melts my heart and is so cute. 

His top two teeth have now broken through (thankfully).  My first week back to work was tough as he woke up 2-3 times every night for 3 days straight...oy!

Tomorrow we take him for his one year appt.  I can't wait to see how big he is!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I'd wake him after an hour and a half if he does it this early.  Then have him sleep in the afternoon for his other nap.  yes, it kills you to wake a sleeping baby, but you could always just open his bedroom door, pull up the shade, and do "loud" things outside and inside his bedroom until he wakes up (like vacuuming in the hall, or putting laundry away in his bedroom drawers, etc.)  That way he can still wake up but not by you having to wake him actively.

But otherwise he won't be able to hold out until 6pm at night, and he'll end up taking a stupid 5-7 pm nap, then be up until midnight... .and around the clock you'll go!

yes, he'll eventually push his AM nap to one afternoon nap (this happens usually naturally somewhere around 15-17 months) but that's by pushing his morning nap to late morning (11am ish). 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

LLLE--I have a climber too.  The dishwasher is a favorite place for him.  That and the stairs.  He can go up them in no time flat.  Congrats on the 1 year milestone!

Poppy--I hear you on the amazing things that they pick up now!  It's crazy!

Ajuly--So glad to hear that things are going well with pumping at work!  You can do it!  :-)

DS is almost 11 months now and he's ready to walk.  He pushes anything he can around the house (highchair, DD's shopping cart etc) so he can walk.  He stands up on his own for short periods of time, so I wouldn't be surprised to see first steps within the next month.  He's also taken into dropping things off of his high chair and saying "uh oh" and then laughing about it.  It's very cute.  

We finally have the MMM sound down, so we get "Ma Ma" now along with "Daddy".  He can't do his sister's name yet, but "doggie" and "ball" are high on his priority list.  His molars are coming in now so that makes for some lovely interrupted sleep, but I'm taking advantage of it and working (it's 4:00 a.m. right now) although I'll pay for it later tonight.  

DS and DD play together well (although a little more physical than I would like sometimes) and DS will chase after DD laughing all the way.  It's adorable. It's also a good thing that they pretty much weigh the same because sometimes DD gets really too excited when she plays with him, but he can handle it.

We just had outdoor pictures done at our house this past weekend and it's so worth it.  I love every one we got.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

[QUOTE]Wed - it's so stressful when they won't take the bottle and work is looming in your future.  With us, when I went back to work DD became suddenly all fine with the bottle, where she had SCREAMED about it for the several weeks leading up to me going back.  I hope your DD does the same magical transition. 
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Poppy, I hope you are right!  Still screaming at it this morning!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Great to hear everyone's updates.

DD is now 10 1/2 months.  She is all over the place and just goofy and happy.  I agree that it is crazy how much she is just starting to understand.  She says "ball" and maybe "dog" along with mamma although I am not sure that it specific just yet.   She is getting close to walking and cruises everywhere.  She is very physical and loves to be upside down and climb all over us and is constantly laughing.  I certainly hope her disposition continues.  She is a love bug!

I especially hope her disposition continues because I just got BFP and now she will be a big sister if all goes well.  Yay!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

OMG Luck, Congrats on the BFP!! That's awesome news!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE] It doesn't help that she still won't take a bottle consistently or for a full feeding so I am afraid she is going to starve
    Posted by wedoct09[/QUOTE]

Even if she never takes a bottle, she won't starve. She'll make you miserable and crazy, but she won't starve.

I don't know if that's any consolation.