September - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: September - Infants and Toddlers

fram - if it's helpful (and for another way to look at it), at 11 months DD drinks 24 ounces of formula (stopped bf'ing at 9 months) a day.  I find that the amount she drinks at each bottle has varied quite a lot in the past few months, since she's been getting more established on solids, so iIt has been much easier for me to keep track based on the ounces per day.  In talking with my friends who have babies around the same age, they all seem to drink different numbers of bottles and different amounts (ounces) per bottle... but they almost all add up to about 24 oz per day.  So that makes me feel like DD is on the right track. But I do plan to check in with my pedi at her year appt, just to make sure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

KT - i think he would love those bisquits too - haha :-)

Poppy you bring up a good point about ounces and not necessarily when they get it.. i think the range is like 24- 30 oz/day - we're at like 28 now at almost 8 months but i think by 11 month he'll definitely be down at around 24.  he's been doing the weaning down himself so I'll stay with it for now. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thank you all!  I really appreciate your input.  I've been trying to handle this transition without posting a million questions :o)

At her 6 month appointment, the pediatrician also mentioned that she should get around 24 oz a day.  But how they heck can you measure that for a breastfed baby?!!  What I do know is that she gets 18 oz in bottles on week days and I think that is too much, but I'm not going to attempt to cut back until we start 3 meals, which will be soon. 
    It seems like she will eat whatever you feed her.  I've been BFing first and then feeding her meals (on weekends), so maybe it's time to switch the order and let her BF for as little as she wants after eating.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Fram, I could be wrong, but I thought that the focus was still on BM or formula until 12 months.  The solids don't replace the need for the bottles/nursing.  DD is bottle-fed, so it's easier to measure but she was getting about 24oz right through her first birthday, and still ate three meals. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I remember at one point my twins were eating 32oz EACH of formula.  At this age food is for fun and learning - most of the nutrition still comes from formula or nursing. don't worry about too much of mom's milk - that's a good thing! :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sigh I think you are right - I keep going in circles and getting all confused! 
    Before her 6 month appointment, they had made a big deal of not replacing milk with meals... But I thought that changed after 6 months and the ped even mentioned that bottles will start to come in between meals and not be the main event.  But I guess that still doesn't occur for a while?  It probably sounds like I'm in a rush to stop BFing, but I swear I'm not!  I'd be happy to keep solely BFing and keep things simple LOL.  So even though we will be feeding her 3 meals, we give her the same bottles as long as she'll take them?  Or should we not even do 3 meals yet?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Keeping your family in our prayers kt

Fram - I thought the same as GC and was always told BM first solids second up to a year.  I have no idea what DS got daily because I breastfed but as long as he was happy and growing I learned to let it go...not reasy but I managed!  Good luck and try not to make yourself crazy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

KT - glad to hear the good news.  Thinking of you.

Fram - I know it seems overwhelming.  But truly, if the baby is healthy and happy and growing at an appropriate pace, you can do what works for you.  I agree with the posters above that the BM (or formula) is the most important source of balanced nutrition until they are one year.
    For us, DD (13 months and on BM) just started doing less nursing as she ate more solids.  It was just a slow transition and we just followed her lead.  Eventually, maybe around 10 or 11 months, she stopped finishing her bottles.  The baby will let you know!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

You'll also find, Fram, that as you move from purees to more finger- and table-foods that the BM becomes REALLY important in terms of making sure they get enough nutrition (little fingers aren't super-good at getting food into mouth) and to prevent constipation. 

Before we introduced solids, I used to send DD to daycare with two 6oz bottles and one 4oz "snack" bottle.  She also took 6-8 oz morning and night pretty consistently. The only change after introducing solids was that she dropped the 4oz bottle.  Her schedule was more loosey-goosey then, so it was always a bit of a crap-shoot as when she would nap, then eat, so sometimes if she skewed early she'd need that extra bub.  Once we went to three meals, she shifted to a more predictable schedule and dropped that extra bottle. 

A three-meal day for DD looked/looks like this:

6am(ish) -- wake-up, bottle

7am(ish) -- breakfast w/water in a sippy

mid-morning -- bottle, then nap

midday -- lunch w/water in a sippy
    mid-afternoon -- bottle, then nap
    6pm -- dinner w/water in a sippy
    7:30pm -- bottle, then bed

That's been true about 80% of the time for the last five months.  There are obviously nap-strike days or wildly-off days, but in general, that's our schedule.  We see the pedi today, but my guess is our next shift will be to replace the mid-morning and mid-afternoon bottles with a snack and milk in a sippy, then phase out the morning bottle, then finally the nighttime bottle. 

Sniff. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

GC's schedule looks a lot like my DD's now.  She's 11 months...I figure once we go off the formula, those mid-day bottles will get replaced by snacks?  Not sure about how we'll lose the evening one, though, since that's a big part of her bedtime routine. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

GC's schedule looks a lot like my DS's now and he is 10 months. We do about four bottles a day of about 6 oz each, and lots of water in the sippy cup during his meals/snacks. He has two bottom teeth only, so the solid foods are interesting sometimes, but he REALLY wants to eat them, so we let him try just about anything at least once. He loves to have bread with hummus on it and it is pretty easy for him to chew little bread chunks. There is a Brazilian baker near us that makes a cheesy-bread roll that is suuuuper yummy and DS will eat that until there is only the outer crust left.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Fra - I just consulted my "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron and for 7 month old baby it says:
    Babies should be eating 2 meals a day - maybe 3. Each meal should be 2 to 3 servings (1 to 4 tablespoons depending on the baby).
    It then says your baby should nurse 5 times a day or drink 30-32 ounces of formula a day.  If your baby isn't drinking this much, decrease the food servings.
    This info doesn't really change until 9 months when it says to nurse 3 to 4 times a day or offer 26-30 ounces of formula.  And to offer 3 meals of 3 servings each (again one to 4 tablespoons per serving).
    I found it a great resource and guideline - it tells you when it's okay to offer new foods and has lots of healthy finger food and toddler options to try as your baby gets older.
    HTH!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Fra, until DD turns 1, you shouldnt replace her BM or formula, its her main source of nutrients.  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Luv - My DD is 14 months and we have just weaned her off bottles.  My pedi said that we could always give her milk in her sippy before bed, so that it is still part of the routine, but not in a bottle.  We have been doing that and it is going fine.  She doesn't drink as much from the sippy, but it does seem to calm her down like the bottle would.  Just wanted you to know that you could do this as a transition.  Eventually I think we won't do this before bed, but it is working for now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Just had DD's one year and the pedi said that "they" say that she should be off the bottle by 18 months.  We're having some MAJOR constipation issues at the moment (thank you, Cow's Milk) so we'll ride that out with bottles, then start slowly switching out bottle feeds for snacks/sippy during the day.  She just doesn't get enough water out of the sippy for me to start on that yet. 

Any sippy recommendations?  We have the take & toss, a fancy one from Beaba, some Nuk ones that are more cup-shaped, and random others.  She does OK with most, but I think she has to work too hard to get the water out of some, so she loses interest and starts chewing on the bottom of it.  I've tried taking out the valve so the liquid flows more freely, but unless she can absorb water through her soaking wet onesie/skin, that's not doing it either.  I've already been worried that she's not getting enough out of a sippy, but now I'm doubly concerned since it's going to be our new focus. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

We've had some luck starting with the Nubby sippy cups.  The top is rubbery and super easy to get water out of without leaking too much (at least until they have chewed on them enough to break the top a little and learn how to shake the water out like my 3 y/o does.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

GC - Our LO seems to enjoy the take and toss sippy cups the most, but I notice that she will take down liquid much faster from a straw cup.
    We got some Playtex ones and they are cheap and cheerful.  Sometimes liquid stays in the top part of the straw (the valve is halfway down) and then makes a mess, but whatever.  Someone else recommended the Foogo which we might try.  A lot of people like the Zoli because the straw is weighted, but I didn't want a bite valve on the top.

I am not sure why "they" say that sippy or straw cups are better than bottles.  It kind of seems the same to me.  Unless you let the kid walk around all day with it or sleep with it, which I could see would be bad for teeth unless it was just water, it doesn't seem like a big difference to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Medford - I think the reason they say to use various sippy cups, straws, drinking from a regular cup, etc. is that each uses different muscles and lip/tongue movements, that help with getting all the parts moving for speech. Also, by mixing it up no one set of muscles gets over or under developed. 

As far as which cups to use, I'm a big fan of the take & toss sippy cups and straw cups. If getting enpugh out of the sippy lid is an issue, you can get the Tupperware little cups with lids, the opening is much larger. My only problem with those is that if DD turns them upside down she can sometimes get quite a lot of liquid out before I see it and stop her. If all you are using is water in them, that isn't a big deal, but milk or juice can make a big mess.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

"Just had DD's one year and the pedi said that "they" say that she should be off the bottle by 18 months."
    "I've already been worried that she's not getting enough out of a sippy, but now I'm doubly concerned since it's going to be our new focus. "

GC, remember that you have SIX months for the transition.  Relax now, get her constipation under control (can you add a wee bit of pureed prunes to her yogurt or to something or other? will she drink a wee bit of prune juice, or can you add the prune juice to a bottle of milk?  a WEE BIT or you'll have a diarrhea disaster....)

anyway...  she will get better about using sippy cups - and i think the take and toss are kind of nice because they don't have those stupid valves, which DO make it hard to drink from (you try it, they can be hard).  you can also hold a hard cup (not one that was a sippy cup that had a screw sippy top, since those grooves make it hard to drink - just get a plastic glass like a 4 yr old would drink from) and help her learn to drink from an open cup.  Remember, all of us drank only from those (with our mother/father holding the cup and tilting it for us, slooooowwwllly) - there were no sippy cups in the olden days.

As she gets better at using the sippies - in 2 months - you can start to drop a bottle at a time.  Remember that dropping a bottle (or a nursing session for those nursing) will mean that she won't get the snuggling that goes with the bottle/nursing time - so make sure when you give her a 'wake up from nap cup instead of a bottle" that you stlil hold her on your lap, cuddle her and give her the cup.  Or however it translates for you.   Because often they really miss all the snuggling that was bottle feeding/nursing.

Honest to goodness, I promise she'll be a pro at sippy cups at 15 months, and that you can then focus on getting rid of bottles fairly quickly.  (or at 14 months if she gets to be a pro sooner).  But keep offering open lid cups when you can sit there and help (meal times) to keep that skill up, since you're going to want to drop the sippy cup habit by 2 yrs or 21/2 yrs when she's sitting at a table for snack and meals. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

re: Sippy Cups

The SLP who worked with DS definitely recommended a valveless sippy. We started with the Tilty which has an insert so that the child doesn't have to bend his/her neck so far to get the flow going. The overall favorite is definitely the Take N Toss--cheap and easy. We've also been using water bottles with only an inch or so of water for DS to practice taking "real" sips. Sometimes it goes better than others, but in general has been pretty successful.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Why did the SLP recommend valveless?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

My DS is a huge fan of straws.  We have some sippys with straws, but he also likes regular straws.  I was going to try to find the cups that restaurants serve... they have lids and you use regular straws.  Those are ones you need to watch or only do with meals as they would leak I'm sure... but he's just slowly starting to get better drinking with his meals.  The regular straw he can really get a lot out of quickly.  And my DS will drink ANYTHING out of a regular cup held by mama.  He thinks that is beyond cool.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

IPW- I am right there with you, we bought a ton of different ones. I really liked the tommy tippee ones, but DH couldn't ever get them sealed. we wound up buying playtex ones, they match his plates and bowls, and they look like the kinds of cups that mom and dad use... DS loves them- I think just because they are just like ours. And i think that the valves are easier to pull/replace.

that said, he always has access to water in the cups because they are pretty hard to make a mess of, which alleviates some of my fear of him not drinking enough (and platex makes insulated ones so that milk stays reasonably cold.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Kiwi and Amy - thanks for the information about the connection between speech muscles and drinking.  I had never known that!

It still seems to me like it would not be a big big problem if a baby is "late" getting rid of one bottle at nighttime, because they would be doing other types of cups for the rest of the time.  Does that seem reasonable?

IPW - I think the take and toss straw cups are really similar to the restaurant ones.  I love those restaurant ones, too!  A waiter brought us one unasked, and we gave it a whirl and that's how we discovered her love for straws.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

In Response to Re: September - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Why did the SLP recommend valveless?
    Posted by nene72[/QUOTE]

Her feeling was that the valve was a convenience for the parents' sake (less mess) and could hinder a child learning to take real sips beacuse of the intricate mouth contortions to get the valve to work. One of the first things she did was take out the valves in all our valved cups. So, we just went with the Tilty and TnT after that. It was a much quicker transition for DS.