September Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: September Infants and Toddlers

Siena - I also just wipe them a bit and put them in the cooler with the milk and put the whole cooler in the fridge at work.  The only sink that's convenient to my pumping room is a grungy basement bathroom, and I figured if they're in the fridge, no different than the milk in the bottles!  When I get home they go in the dishwasher.

If you can swing it, get a few sets.  Being able to drop them in the dishwasher and still have a clean, dry set available to pack up for the next day right away without having to either wait or hand wash if the dishwasher's not full... made my life about a zillion times easier.  I also keep an extra set at work (in case I forget something or one of those stupid white membranes breaks), an extra bottle (in case of surprising increase in pumping volume), extra nursing pads, and a burp cloth (which I often put over my lap in case of drips).  None of this is very frugal, but it took a lot of stress out of my life.  Once with DD I did forget all the lids!  I made a complicated set up with plastic wrap and tin foil and walked very, very slowly.  :)  Someone else on here (forget who) forgot the bottles and pumped into an empty water bottle!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In response to medfordcc's comment:

Someone else on here (forget who) forgot the bottles and pumped into an empty water bottle!

I am one of those who did that. Multiple times. :)  I agree about the extra parts, especially the little white membranes. You can buy a little package of just those. I found they did tear a lot with all the use they got at work, and the whole system is useless without them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Ditto the extra set!  Worth the $$.  As is the handsfree bra IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy-yes a 12 mo sleep regression is true! As our pedi put it, at that age they are testing limits all day long, what can they get away with. Then at night they like to check that you're still there and they haven't pushed you away. lovely isn't it! Push my buttons all day THEN wake me up at night? great. Is your DS about to start walking? that might be part of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Absolutely need a hands-free bra. I actually miss pumping at work because I had 3 15-minute guaranteed reading breaks. When that ended, so did my book reading.

KAM - thanks for the validation. He might be close to walking, perhaps that is part of it. In general, he is just so much busier than my DD was (at least in my memory). DD didn't give him the nickname "Rascal" for no reason. ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

I need to clarify my comment earlier this week about the medela cleaning wipes.  Totally depends on what kind of pump you have.  I have been using the medela freestyle, which uses different parts than the pump-in-style.  Well, I got a second pump to keep as my office pump (so I don't have to lug the whole thing back and forth through downtown Boston and to daycare and then home).  It is a pump-in-style and the parts are much harder to clean with the wipes in my opinion.  I'm probably going to rinse mid-day and keep in fridge and then wash at the end of the day.  I don't think I'm going to bother with the wipes anymore.

...oh and as an additional comment - if you have Blue Cross insurance they will likely cover a new pump for each baby (I have 2 kids - hence I now have 2 pumps).  Back in 2010 I got the freestyle through BCBS.  At first I though it was frivolous and a waste to have 2 pumps.  But after 2 weeks of lugging the pump bag, my work bag, and then my DD1's daycare lunchbox and backpack through the city, all the while keeping a free hand to hold her hand as we cross streets - my back & shoulders were in agony!  One less bag is a welcome scenario.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I just read the Barbara Meltz article posted yesterday (http://www.boston.com/community/moms/blogs/child_caring/2013/09/how_often_do_you_read_to_your_children_at_night.html) and got all stressed out. DS, at 1, will not let me actually read books to him. He wants to open it himself, flip through a few pages, then go on to the next book. He screeches in frustration with me if I try to turn each page, or have him do it, and actually read the book (we're talking 6/7 page board books). Normal? I don't remember this issue with DD. We still attempt it every night, but it's not actual *reading*.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

poppy, I recall DS used to be like that. I don't think we got to sitting down and reading a story from start to end until 18 months or so... and he just turned 3 and will sit for an hour to read long books (when his babysitter leaves, I sometimes find a HUGE pile of books that they read together on the floor).

DD just turned one and she is like that too, wants to turn a few pages (she goes one step further, then she tries to eat them, sigh). I am not worried yet about her attention span for books (none, zip, nada right now) since DS was a lot like that at her age, and he loves books now. I figure that as she gets older and more aware that DS is reading books, she will get interested - when she is ready. Right now, her priority for night time is nursing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Perhaps your 12 month old would like to have you "read" (look at books and point out 2 objects on each page, max, before turning pages!) at a different time than right before bed, when she/he is tired.  So just keep board books all around the house and read them when asked, or offer throughout the day.  In terms of the higher-order language a child will hear from having books read to him/her - you can sing lots of different songs and that will also work at that age!  Your children will come to love books, if reading is a wonderful, snuggly, enjoyable thing that is done between 2 caring people - you (or your husband) and your child.  (and between your child and the babysitter/teacher/grandparent/nanny).  What gives a child the positive feelings about books starts with the positive experiences that the child feels during the reading - the time spent with the important people in life. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi everyone - Hope your almost-fall is going well.  Haven't been around for a few weeks, so sorry to just pop in with a question.  You may remember we moved a couple months ago.  After that, I struggled with the new routine and got DD to bed late every day for like 2 weeks.  She's 2 1/2 now.  She used to go to bed at 7:30, but it was more like 8-8:40 for a couple weeks.  It's been at least 2 weeks since then and I have usually put her down by 8:00, but without fail it doesn't go silent in there until about 8:40. 

Does anyone have suggestions for getting a 2 1/2 year old to fall asleep earlier?  Is it possible this is a natural age for her bedtime to get later?  No way I'm sticking with 8:40, but maybe a little later is a natural progression?  Selfishly, I hope not!  But also, my nephew who's 7 still goes to bed by like 8:00, so it just seems crazy for her bedtime to be pushed back already.  She does seem fine with the amount of sleep she's getting - sleeps 8:40 to 7:00 and still naps.  Thanks for any ideas!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi Fram,

What time does she nap, and for how long? I know you have a lot going on with your recent move, which could be behind the issue, but when DD was about 2.5 we noticed if she napped past 3pm or so she just was not tired until 8:30/9. Now she is 2.11 and naps probably 30% of the time. Days she does not nap, she is asleep by 7:45. Days if she naps at ALL she is not tired until about 8:30. Doesn't matter what time the nap is. You could be dealing with just a sleep disturbance, which hopefully will regulate if you keep trying, or she could be getting to a point where the napping is interfering with bedtime. We were like you, not willing to have her going to sleep so late (because then we had no time to unwind at the end of the day), so we sacrificed that nap time to make bedtime easier. Most days she is ok without the nap (i.e., doesn't become a beast in the evening). If we have a super busy morning, she does still nap but I always wake her after an hour or so. On days she doesn't nap, she has to have quiet time in her room reading or resting for about an hour while DS is also sleeping.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy-oh how I hated to read to the kids until about 15 months- they sooo were not interested at all. so frustrating! Here I wanted this nice bonding time and it was just frustrating more than anything, so I surrendered and figured there would become a time they could handle a book. Now both kids love books.

Fram-DD just 2 is the same way, bedtimes totally feel apart with an illness and it took me 2 weeks to get back on track. A few weeks on track and now she's a hot mess at bedtime again. Some nights it's not until 9:15-9:30 that she's asleep-which is NOT okay with me! I find at home that I have to wake her up by 1:30 from her nap or else it's a late night.  She starts this week in her new day care room and they do later naps, so I'll have to talk to her teachers to have her awake as early as they can (I understand they have to get things done and need a moment just to sit). DS at 2.5 started dropping naps about 50% of the time. If he takes a nape he's up until 10pm, then wakes up naturally between 6-6:30 the next morning-not much of a break for Mama! Sorry no suggestions-just sympathy!

the loss of the nap is a double edge sword-you miss that down time to relax/get things done, but it's nice not to be tied to the house for that time!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I meant to say thanks to those who allayed my fears about reading to my 12 month old. He does reach for the books and wants to "read" at bedtime (and other times, when he stops moving long enough). So that will have to be good enough for now! :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Poppy - it took awhile for my DS to want to read at night too.  I just tried every night and eventually he started sitting still and enjoying it.  We started with Llama Llama Nighty Night which is a short board book that he could help turn the page and because it's only a few lines I had it memorized in a few days so I don't need to see the pages to read the book in case all he wants to do is flip pages.  At this point we read two books every night of his choosing; although, he only has about 3 books in which he will actually choose despite having a full book shelf.  We still have some nights though that he wants nothing to do with reading and I don't fight it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Fram, my first question to you is whether your DD naps during the day? My DD (3.5) doesn't nap very often anymore (maybe like 1x/week or 1x every two weeks).  On most nights she is asleep by 8 but on the days she naps she is awake until 9 or even later.  If she is used to napping during the day expect her to be cranky and tired for a few weeks as she adjusts to no daytime nap but eventually her habits will regulate.  It stinks giving up the break during the day! 

Poppy, my 13 month old DD loves to play with books, hold them, chew them, turn the pages etc. but doesn't really listen to the story.  I have had the most success reading her books that she can touch like lift the flaps (the ones that aren't broken from DD1!)  and Pat the Bunny etc. and also word books that each page is an object and you say what it is. 

Since there are a few of us with kids who are recently 1 year old - how much milk/day are they drinking and are they using cups or bottles??   My DD2 is 13 months and she drinks about 6 oz of milk from a bottle upon wake up, and she drinks from a sippy cup the rest of the day but not a lot, maybe 5 oz throughout the day, and has a bottle of about 3-4 oz after dinner before bedtime. I'm still nursing her at night right before bed but I don't think she's getting very much and I'm planning to wean very shortly.  I feel like I waste a ton of milk during the day, not that it matters, but i'm not sure how much to push it on her. She's a great eater otherwise, eats tons of finger foods, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese etc. and baby food pouches .   I bet if i offered a bottle she would drink more but I'm trying to eliminate the bottles. My DD1 used to have the opposite problem - she'd drink an entire gallon of milk if we would have let her - so i'm not used to what is typical.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks for the advice on pumping! I am using your idea of storing pump parts in the fridge, and I will look into ordering a 2nd set  of parts. I am also using the cleaning wipes. 

Today was supposed to be my first full day back at work and I'm exhausted. DD went from having one or two night wakeups to wakin up screaming 5 or 6 times last night. And she wouldnt self soothe back to sleep after feeding the way she usually does. I have no clue what that was about, but I really hope we get back to normal tonight. I'm mmiserable and grouchy when sleep deprived. And I thought sleep regression wasn't supposed to happen until 4 mo.  she's just 12 weeks old...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Oh, Poppy, your DS sounds like mine (except mine is 19 months!). He is obsessed with books but I have yet manage to sit down and read a whole one to him. He'll sit by himself in front of his bookshelf for 20 minutes sometimes, flipping through individual books (and surrounding himself with such a big pile of them that he can't get out). He loudly demands books at bedtime, but, again, all on his terms. He flips through each one and then begs for another. I basically read as much as he lets me and don't worry about getting through the whole story. He just wants to point out every animal and truck on each page anyway. His English major mama has resigned herself that it'll be awhile before he appreciates a good narrative :-).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Siena, hang in there... I am with you today.  DS is sick and woke up all night screaming like he was being stabbed.

rama - DD drank much less milk than that at 1 year and pedi said it was fine with cheese, yogurt, and such.

re: bedtime and naps, DD (3) is often awake past 9 if she naps.  One thing I realized about elementary school kids is often they have to get up earlier.  DD sleeps until 7 on daycare days, 7:30 other days, but when she starts K she'll have to get up at least by 6:30.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Siena, sorry to hear you had a rough night! Are you familiar with the book Wonder Weeks? It talks about various developmental changes that happen at various times throughout the first year or so. Anyway, I remember 12 weeks being a wonder week and the book said to expect fussiness. DS was very fussy around that time (I think I found the book when I was Googling "baby extremely fussy at 12 weeks" or similar). It's also an iphone app if you're interested (I think it cost like $5).  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Rama, DD is 14 months and off bottles for about 3 weeks.  She drinks milk at wake-up (5-6oz), one or two more glasses through the day (smaller 3-4 oz), and one more (5-6) either with or right after dinner.  She seems to have dropped the right before bed drink now that she is eating bigger dinners.  Other than that she drinks water. 

File us under "will not sit still for an entire story" also.  She brings books to me but only last about two pages before she is getting down off my lap, thowing them, chewing them, tearing off the peekaboo flaps.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Rama - my DS, 15 months, has 4-5 oz when he wakes up, 4-5 oz in the afternoon, 4-5 oz with dinner and another 4 oz at bedtime.  Some days he has a mid-morning sippy as well but most often he drinks water the rest of the day.  We are on all sippys at this point.  He is also great about eating cheese and yogurt during the day.  We tried cottage cheese but he wouldn't touch it!  Like Nov I've been finding that my DS has been drinking less milk at night if he's had a big dinner.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for weighing on in DD's bedtime!  She still naps from about 12-2 at daycare every day and usually from about 1-3 on weekends.  I think my first experiment will be to try having her nap earlier on the weekends.  I also wonder if I skip naps one weekend, if she might be tired enough to reset her clock if you will.  We'll see!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

is she hollering and yelling from 8pm to 8:40pm or is she lying in bed singing songs, talking (quietly) to her stuffed animals, and otherwise just putting herself to sleep?  If the former then ugh, I'd try resetting and an earlier naptime on the weekend.  If it's the latter, though, then I'd just let it go as long as she isn't cranky during the day - she's in bed at 8pm, you and your husband have some much needed adult quiet time, and all is well in Fram land!

Which center did you choose and are you happy? Are you all unpacked and how is all that going?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Looking for thoughts on a good costume for a 15 mo old for Halloween.  Are the puffy Carter's ones too much to move around in?  Should I look for a onesie/pj type one?  What worked for those with older kids?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

DS started walking last night!  He walked between me and my DH several times and was so proud of himself.  It was great that we were both able to witness it! 

Nov - we bought a lion costume from BRU.  It's one of the onsie costumes but no extra padding so it shouldn't be hard for him to move around in.