Standing up in the crib

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

Standing up in the crib

Hi All,

So, my DS is coming up on 9 months. We finally had him sleeping through the night about 3 weeks so. He had been getting up once a night around 3am to eat and our pedi said a night feeding shouldn't be necessary at this point, plus as a working mother I was completely exhausted and didn't know how much longer I could keep up with the routine so over 3 nights I weaned him and he started sleeping from about 8pm-6am which was amazing. Then two things happened. One, he learned to crawl about two weeks ago and two, about a week ago figured out how to stand up in his crib. So now for about a week at 3 or 4am he is crying hysterically. My husband tells me to just let him cry but I can't, and the issue is that he's standing up in his crib and I'm not sure that he knows how to lie back down. Last night I tried putting a sleep sack on him thinking he might not be able to stand up in it but he did. He seems ready to go after I go to him, smiling at me and touching my face and babbling. I try hard to ignore him and get him back to sleep but the only way I can is to nurse him, so I am afraid I am starting the cycle of him getting used to a night feeding again. What do I do here?? Any advice? I know "they" say sleep can get disrupted when milestones like crawling and standing hit. Will this pass on its own? Also, I have tried sending my DH in but DS just gets pissed and keeps on crying hysterically until I go in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Re: Standing up in the crib

Would you put a bottle of water in his crib at night that he can find and drink if he wants to?

DD started really sleeping through the night when she started walking, it just burns up all her energy. Perhaps getting him good and worn out from crawling will help?

As for the standing in the crib, I have yet to find a solution myself at almost 13 months. Having a few items to keep her busy in the crib helps keep her quiet and lets her get herself back to sleep.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

He could be in a growth spurt and is waking up because of it.  Sleep patterns do change pretty often for many reasons, and hunger needs change as growth demands on his body change.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

If you think the issue is him not being able to get down from standing I would spend a lot of time teaching him to go from standing back down to at least sitting in the crib.

Once you know he can get himself down I personallly would let him cry it out since he is 9 months - its heart breaking but it works. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

two questions
    (1) does he know how to fall on his bum in real life (e.g., not in the middle of the night)? once they learn to do that, they can easily "get down". since he is crawling he can also roll back into whatever position he wants.
    (2) do you have a video monitor? if you are worried about him falling, you can see if he fell and hurt himself vs. yelling because "hey look mom I'm standing up."

We had a period of this- when they first learn to stand I think it is common. Later, when my DS started walking, we had another one where he would "Walk" around the edges of his crib.

what worked for us-
    - first, in our house dad HAD TO do this because i was nursing and if i went in the room DS thought he was going to get fed, and honestly my milk would let down because he was crying so I wanted to feed.  the increased crying will abate in a day or two.
    - go it at the very beginning, lay him down, cover him (or whatever you do when you are putting him down) and pat him on the back or rub his belly. then leave.  sometimes I don't even think they know that they are awake. 
     - once they know that they are awake and excited to be standing, I would lay him down and then give him a stuffed something to have in the crib to play with. you really don't want to put anything hard in there in case he does fall over and you don't want a pile of stuff for him to crawl up on. However, chances are, he will just try to stand up again.  Maybe every 15-20 minutes or so.  DH only did this one or two nights, and then we switched to CIO (it was reducing anyway)
    - it will pass in a week or two. or change slightly. although I know it is horrible to be so sleep deprived, a friend of mine with older kids always reminds me that "if their sleep doesn't get distrupted, they aren't making huge developmental gains." It has been true for crawling, standing, walking... but is really hard to be so tired.

*if he doesn't know how to fall yet, then someone needs to help him down at night each time he gets up, but that is a really quick thing for them to learn. watch him standing at other times and if he doesn't get it, teach him.  pull back on his shoulders to get him to fall on his bum.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh, I feel for you.  When DD learned to stand up in her crib, we went through about a week or two of hell before it got better.  She did the exact same thing - would stand up once or twice (or more) in the middle of the night and cry for us.

We could not let her CIO because, like you, weren't confident she knew how to get herself lying down again.  Here's what we did (which might not work for everyone): We would stand there and keep lying her down until she got tired and stopped standing up (it was as if her crib mattress had turned into a trampoline - the second she was lying down, *spring!!* she'd be up again).  Sometimes she would stand up 30 times before giving up.  We would NOT take her out of the crib.  It was NOT fun.  But it did end.  Now if she cries at 3am (like last night) I can go in and just lie her down and she stays down.

I wish you luck in whatever method you choose! 

ETA: Ditto Winter09 - Many times it had to be my DH who did the lie-the-baby-down routine.  She would get too hysterical to be picked up if I did it.  Also, I found I had much less patience with it than my DH.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful. I think the thing to do is probably lie him back down without taking him out of the crib. Poppy, I do think what you did would work for him. I'll just plan to start on a Friday night so I'm not sleeping at my desk the next day. Winter, I agree with having DH do it also. Hopefully I can get him on board.

He doesn't stand up anywhere other than his crib yet. I haven't seen him pull himself up on the coffee table or couch so I am thinking the bars of the crib are helping him up. So I'm sure he doesn't know how to get back down. Teaching him is also a good idea. I unfortunately do not have a video monitor. I was going to ask for one for Christmas but maybe I'll need to invest in one before then...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Crackers - I would try the Poppy method since it is sweeter and more benign then the method we would likely have to do.  DD is a give her an inch she will take a mile kiddo when it comes to sleep so if we went in, you bet she would wake up every night.

That being said, we have not had this issue.  I think you may be having this issue b/c your child is used to you coming in and just recently began sleeping through the night.  So, I would say if the Poppy method does not work after a few days, a little CIO may be in order - painful as that is.

Once DS really learns how to sleep soundly during the night, I think this will go away.  The only time DD ever stands up is when she is ready to get up in the morning. Oh, and yeah, the sleep sacks doesn't prevent this at all! :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ha - "the Poppy method".  I do have to make the disclaimer that DD absolutely wakes up at least once every night hysterically crying.  She's only ever slept all the way through maybe a handful of times.  We don't have a problem with this because she goes *right* back to sleep, so we're only up for 30 seconds, but I know for some families that wouldn't work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

Thanks Luck. That is what I am afraid of now - starting bad habits. I just don't know how long he would stand up and cry for if he can't get back down. My biggest issue is that he seems to be wide awake and that I have to nurse him back to sleep. Crossing my fingers that just lying him down with his glow worm and leaving as many times as needed for him to fall asleep works.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Babies do what works, they eventually stop what doesn't.  If you nurse him, he will continue to cry to be nursed.
    Teach him how to get down by himself, go in and lay him back down (or send your DH in).  Do not pick up, do not nurse.
    BTW - it's a phase that passes.  It won't go on forever.
    Good luck.  As the mother of twins who are 26 months I can say that there are lots of these "speed bumps" between blissful nights where they "sleep through". Hang in there!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i hate to say it, but i think you're past starting bad habits - or entering into one, at least.  i think DS is waking up out of habit and he knows you will come nurse him if he cries.  miss lily is right - he'll stop once it doesn't work anymore.  it's HARD on you to show him that, i know, but it's best in the long run.  definitely work on teaching him to sit.  oh, and the video monitor - yup, this is why they are useful (regarding that other post!).  i have 10.5 month old twins who have never woken up in the middle of the night since sleep training - not for growth spurts, not for teeth, not for crawling milestones, so i'm a big proponent of sleep training (early if possible!) - hope my post doesn't come off as "harsh."  GL. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

Thanks misslily and stefani. I know his inability to sleep through the night has partially been my fault. We never sleep trained before 8 months because I never thought we had to. He has always fallen asleep on his own when I initially put him to bed at night so I didn't think his night wakings were a self-soothing issue. We had him down to one night feeding until 8 months which my pedi said was normal for a lot of babies. Then at 8 months I just couldn't take it anymore so we let him cry through that night waking for 3 nights which worked. It's just so hard for me to figure out if he just wants me or if he is teething, sick, having a growth spurt or what. And I fully admit that if I have to work the next day it's easier to go in there and feed him for 10 minutes than be up listening to him cry for an hour (we live in a 2 bedroom condo and I can hear him even with both bedroom doors closed). Bad, I know!

Anyway, as an update. Saturday night he was up as usual. My husband was not home so I went in, lay him down, rubbed his back and left. Let him cry for 10 or so minutes and then repeated. This went on for 1.5 hours but he did finally fall asleep without me nursing him. When I went back into my room between going to him I turned the lights on and read. I found this to be easier than lying in the dark listening to him cry for some reason. Sunday night he was up twice. My DH went in both times, lay him down and left and he was right back to sleep. Last night he was up once and I lay him down and he was asleep again. SO, I'm hoping the three night rule will apply to this situation and he won't get up tonight. We'll see.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Hooray!  I know it is sooooo hard when they cry at night.  Mine are 26 months and I just went through a six week stretch with DS waking at night.  I'd go in and make sure he was okay, put him back down and leave.  Sometimes he would cry out again and sometimes he would go back to sleep.  It was really hard.  And I never knew what time it would happen 11:00, 2am 5am - always different.
    And finally - it stopped as suddenly as it had started.
    Peace once again.
    Hang in there - you're doing great!!!