Strollers - bugaboo? let me hear it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

Strollers - bugaboo? let me hear it

hi, I am thinking about strollers..... in particular the seemingly controversial Bugaboo models.  I am due just after the holidays, and was originally planning to go with the Graco Snugride carseat and the snap n go frame, putting off the stroller decision until the weather warms up.  now I'm thinking why 'waste' the money on a cheapie frame if I can just do the research and buy a stroller now that will work from the start and last.

so, my reasons for considering the Bugaboo (frog or cameleon).  We walk alot - daily - with our dog.  including all kinds of weather - snow/ice, or across grass fields, or on walking trails on town parks.  I don't jog/run and don't need a jogging stroller with huge tires.  I have back problems and probably won't be wearing the baby in a carrier on walks.  I want a stroller that is good on uneven surfaces but also good for shopping and indoors.  we both have a good amount of trunk space in our vehicles, so I'm not concerned about the fold up size being small as possible.  I've seen the resale values on craigslist and don't feel the upfront cost is that bad when you consider how much they go for used.  But I am in no way going for a status stroller and am also weighing that factor in my decision.  will I have to always lock the stroller up and feel self-conscious, like a snob, while pushing it around. 

I really like the reversible handle, high chair position, 2-wheel option, bassinet for naps at friends/family's houses before they outgrow it, and small size yet able to handle somewhat rough terrain.  also seems durable and able to buy replacement parts, which is a plus since we will hopefully have more than 1 child and use it again in the future.  anybody have any thoughts?  I've read tons of reviews and have seen it in the store.  but if there is another stroller out there that I should be considering, I'd like to hear about it.  so far, I'm not impressed with the typical travel system strollers - they look very bulky to me, and like they would not function well on our walks.  and the jogging strollers look like more than I need on walks, as well as too big to maneuver in stores.  but if you love or hate the bugaboo or any other stroller, I'd love to hear about it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: Strollers - bugaboo? let me hear it

I can't offer any feedback on the bugaboo. But if I had it to do all over again (or if I can break my current one), or this was available when I was looking, I would have gone with this http://www.kolcraft.com/product.aspx?id=169&shopby=category It has the option to switch the way the seat faces. And I think you can keep the seat attached when you break it down. Not sure if you can do that with the bugaboo. Though the kolcraft one doesn't have the bassient-but my 9mo slept well in his infant car seat when visiting people-though they can get hot in them.

We went with the chicco travel system-and i'm only eh about stroller systems. My idea stroller is something close to the peg pergo uno...but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that type of $$ on a stroller-though I would spend the $$ if I could do it all over again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hello!  I OBSESSED over strollers.  I ended up with a BOB and a snap-in Graco metrolite (it's a stroller and fits the carseat) but then some coworkers also ended giving me an umbrella stroller.  All have worked out great for what I need - my neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks and the BOB is a must for me.  It is bulky, but we do take it in the car at times.  The Graco is a decent stroller for malls and what I need and it was very easy to use with the carseat.  In retrospect though, the snap-n-go kind would have been sufficient, especially since my coworkers ended up surprising me with a nice umbrella stroller.  I definitely have a bit of stroller overload, but I use them all in different ways and it works.  My family is out of state, so the umbrella stroller has been good for road trips when car space is at a premium.
        Since a lot of my friends also are expecting or have infants, we all just about have every model out there.  If you are considering a Bugaboo, I would recommend you possibly consider the UPPABaby Vista instead.  My friend just got this and it is fantastic... especially the 2009 model.  I wish it was out and reviewed in time for when I was looking.  You can use it as a carseat snap in stroller, it has the bassinet, and the two-direction seating for older infants, plus the bigger set of wheels for added maneauvering on difficult terrain.  It comes with a lot of extras that the Bugaboo charges for.  It also has other extras (additional charge) that don't exist for the Bugaboo (or I'm at least not aware of) such as an extra seat you can add on for a second child and a stand for the bassinet to use it as a bassinet in the home.  And I believe it is at least $200 cheaper than the cameleon.  I am definitely happy with my strollers, but I do admit I totaly did stroller envy over my friend's Vista.  Just thought I'd give you the heads up on it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

thank you both, this is exactly the type of advice I'm looking for.  I don't have many friends with infants, so I'm mainly relying on online reviews and babybargains book.  and babybargains review of the bugaboo isn't particularly helpful, 2 pages about how expensive they are.  which is true, but I just want a good stroller.  I will definitely check out the strollers you both recommended.  I'm trying to comprehend whether a high end stroller means we'll only need one (+ maybe an umbrella down the road) or if I should just assume we're going to need 2 or 3 strollers to meet all our needs anyway, so don't break the bank on one.  and I'm hoping to not buy something we end up hating, but I'm sure that's a distinct possibility because it's so hard to envision everything when you don't have alot of experience with babies :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Hi - I have the chicco travel system too and I really like it - I think the stroller is great - rarely did I go for walks with the infant carrier after DD was about a month or so and I think it rides great on all different kinds of terrain (sidewalk, dirt, etc).  The downfall with the Chicco is that (from my experience) the carrier does not fit on the top of any supermarket carriage - so when I take DD food shopping she literally takes up the whole cart.

The reversable handle on the bugaboo does seem really nice - I would like to see DD's face while we go for walks instead of having to stop and check on her.

Another option would be to get the bugaboo and a smaller umbrella stroller that you could use for quick trips like the mall etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Glad this is helpful, lesal.  I don't know where you live, but if you can get to a Magic Beans (www.mbeans.com), they have most of the "higher end" strollers set up and on display, so you can play around with them and test them out.  That includes Uppa, Bugaboo, etc.  I'm a big fan of the store and I know it sounds cheesy, but they do have some sort of stroller matcher consulting program that can help you figure out what meets your needs.  That might help in your decision making.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

KT, we really liked the Chicco Keyfit infant seat - better than the Graco - but I was ruling it out because it's not compatible with many strollers.  (I had read that the seat doesn't fit on a shopping carriage, but that it's not that safe to do anyway)  And I had ruled out the travel systems in general, but maybe the Chicco is worth considering.  and I also found out last night that the Chicco seat works with the Uppababy, so that's interesting too.

MM - thanks for the store recommendation, I had never heard of them, but live close to wellesley so I can get there easily.  I went to their website and filled out the stroller matching survey, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

My big strooler is the Phil and Teds.  We love it.  It is kind of big and heavy but it is great for walking and my DD seems to be very comfy in it.  With that said, this is not the storller I wanted as I thought that was way too much money to spend, but this was the 1 item my husband had to have a say in and that was the one he wanted.  He wanted to make sure the stroller was "cool" enough.  We also have the attachment that the infant car seat can snap into.  We did not use that often and mostly used my graco snap and go frame.  That was the best when she was really little and also DD loves the car seat so it worked out well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from move-on. Show move-on's posts

I had a Graco travel system which lasted through two kids and I also had a Graco two seater for a while. These were both fine, although I did always feels they were bulky (especially the two seater). I ended up getting rid of both the Gracos and scored a used MacLaren which I wished I had had all along. In retrospect, I would have gone for the snap & go with the infant car seat and then the Mac for when they were old enough to sit up. The Macs also have taller handles, which was nice for my tall husband. For me the bottom line was finding something that was sturdy enough to take walks in the neighborhood but that wasn't bulky when I was indoors in a store or at the mall, etc. I also ended finding that even though you could spend a fortune for a really nice stroller with all the bells and whistles, a mid range good value stroller is pretty much all you need. Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arugulacm. Show arugulacm's posts

In Response to Strollers - bugaboo? let me hear it:

I have the uppababy vista 2009. I chose it over the Chameleon and Quinny.  We've used it over sand, gravel, grass, boardwalks, etc., and haven't had any problems.

I really like that is has a telescoping handle (so if you and DH are different height, you can change the handle height at the touch of a button), the amount of storage under the chair, and the method to collapse the base (seemed easier, though maybe not as compact; I think w/bugaboo, you have to take the chair off to collapse it).  I also like that the chair can face either towards you or out. 

negatives - the back wheels have a wide base.  occasionally, I have to chose a different route to navigate my way through stores.  sometimes I bash the back wheels into things b/c I'm only making sure the front wheels fit through a space.  I beleive they make a different set of wheels, which are narrower - but they may not be as rugged.  Also - the base is a little heavier than the chameleon, and it is awkward to carry up/down stairs.  Not a big deal for a couple of stairs, but a pain to carry up/down flights of stairs every time you go out. 

I've heard on another message board that uppababy (they are in Rockland, MA) sometimes has slightly damaged (paint scratched) strollers for sale at a significnt discount.  I think they have a factory store at their corporate office.  If you are interested, it would be worth a call to inquire.   

Wild Child and Magic Bean stores have uppababys and chameleons, and many of the other models mentioned in other replies - you can go and play / try out the various models to see what you like.  When I initially looked, I said I wasn't buying right now, and they (wild child) still spent a lot of time showing me the various models.   You and/or DH can try folding them, lifting the bases, changing the attachements (car set, bassinet, chair), etc. to see how they all work to determine which you like.     

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

I went to Magic Beans to look at strollers last night - they were so so helpful, I was very impressed - thanks to everyone who recommeded that store.  although now I am more confused than I was before!  I spent alot of timing looking at the Uppababy and Cameleon (btw occ - he told me the 2010 uppa (avail Jan) will add a 4th upright seat position which addresses one of their biggest complaints if you've been reading reviews).  and I really like them both - alot.  but after talking about how much walking we do, and the types of terrain (beaches, trails in the woods, cobblestones in boston - long walks are a typical weekend activity for us almost all year)  those all-purpose strollers may not be the best fit.  so we also looked at the joggers.  I went in there fully expecting to love the Uppa and Cameleon and just debating which one to get.  But left there thinking we may go with multiple strollers - ie jogger + umbrella.  It's a tough decision, either we get one all-purpose stroller that is not quite rough enough for our walks and also slightly big/heavy for the car/shopping trips - but will function in either situation; or we get 2 strollers that are excellent for their purposes but then we have nothing in between (ie something comfortable for the baby and good on outdoor light terrain yet still easy enough to put in the car).  we're pretty stumped yet leaning towards the multiple stroller route.  although this means I need to figure out what to do about missing the other features like the travel bassinet and I can't think what else...

also we were told that the cameleon/uppa are not suitable for jogging at all.  while it's not a big factor in our decision, we used to jog before all the ttc stuff started and dh still does (at the gym mostly) but it is in the back of my mind that I'll start again to lose the weight, so maybe I should be thinking about joggers, especially if it makes sense anyway.

I have a question - how long is it before a baby outgrows the infant seat (I know this varies, but approx) and at that time are they big enough to sit up in an umbrella stroller?  I'm wondering if I need one of the umbrella strollers that lie flat for a newborn (they still seem sort of bulky) - or if we should get the snap n go frame for the infant seat then get one of the really small/lightweight umbrellas for when they outgrow the infant seat.  or would there be a gap in between?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

An infant can sit upright when they can fully hold their head up.  I think most strollers that don't completely recline say 3-4mos.  You have a couple of options here.  I did go the three stroller route myself - umbrella, a lightweight Graco (metrolite), and a BOB jogger *by far my favorite stroller and an awesome pic).  Both the BOB and the Graco take the carseat too.  I'd say out of my friends, most of us went the jogger route b/c of our neighborhoods and lifestyle habits.  I'm the only one who didn't do the snap n go trying to save myself from also having an umbrella stroller which I ended up with anyway!  Here's my suggestion if you are really torn:  get a snap n' go on craigslist (I've seen them as low as $15) and register for a nice umbrella (go for one that reclines even if you won't use it until baby is older) and also register for the jogger, most of which have carseat adapters for the first few months.  That way, you'll have the convenience of the snap n go without the guilt of purchasing 3 brand new strollers. You can use the snap n go out, but the jogger in the neighborhood and with rough weather.  Baby Bargains even suggests waiting on the umbrella all together - get the snap n go, a jogger if necessary, and then wait on the umbrella until baby outgrows the carseat.  Then you can test them out with the baby.  I think it really varies on how long the baby is in the carseat depending on baby's size and if you get a 30+ pound one or a 22lb one.  I did a Snugride and he was in it until about 8 mos.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

DD does not enjoy sitting in the carrier so we barely used ours for walks.  I think I probably used it for a month or 2 max, then I would lay her down in the stroller instead - she liked that a lot better.  I started using the umbrella stroller around 3 months, DD would need to be adjusted to sit up here and there - it is great stroller to have.  One of my friends has 3 strollers - snap and go, bob jogger, and an umbrella stroller - she really loves having all three options.  The stroller is something that you will most likely use a LOT.  You could always start out with the one good stroller and then get an ubrella stroller down the line.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think we'd do best with the 3 stroller option.  though it does seem unbelievable!  I guess registering for a snap n go and the BOB + accessories (the Bob is the jogger we liked best at the store & one of my neighbors has it and loves it too) at this point makes sense.  then wait until we are ready for the umbrella and see what stage we're at.  I'm afraid the Uppa or Bug would be great for the first few months - but that at some point we'll wind up wishing we had a jogger and umbrella anyway, and what a waste of money it would end up to be.  though I do think they look awesome and if we didn't need the jogger for our walks I would totally go with one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

My daughter outgrew her infant car seat by 4 months.  However, I wish I had bought the snap and go stroller for those four months (and I will for the next one).  At the time I didn't want to spend the money on it but it was a pain in the neck hauling out the huge graco stroller for a quick trip into the mall.  Now we mostly just use the umbrella stroller since that is the one that fits most easily in the car trunk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from corsetkitty. Show corsetkitty's posts

We have a bugaboo bee...

I would say get the graco carseat and the snap n go...it has a HUGE basket (which is especially awesome during Xmas shopping) and at first the baby will be sleeping most of the time (especially in the car) and using the snap n go allows you to transfer them without hassle or waking, which BOTH of you will appreciate.  Unlike others, I have a small baby (someone has to be in the first percentile) so at 11 months, we can still use the graco seat...but she doesn't want to be reclined, so at around 5 months old we bought the bee, and have been using it for the past 6 months.

Having talked to a lot of people, the bassinet looks nifty, but if you do any serious travel with  the car (as opposed to living and dying by public transpo) they're a huge pain.  You have to set up the frame, add the bassinet, wake up your baby to take them out and put them in the bassinet, etc.

BUT, consider the Bee.  I will admit that part of me is jealous that they did a redesign on it and that I can't afford (or more specifically that my husband won't let me) buy the newer version.  There's an adapter you can buy that lets you use the frame just like a snap n go, making the bassinet totally useless (and saving you over 300 in the process).

It's 17 lbs, which as I have back issues like you was no small consideration.  Most reversible strollers are around 30 lbs, which as I have trouble with my 15 lbs baby, were impractical.  It does a full fold with the seat facing in either direction (our DD wants to face us and pitches a fit when we've turned it out, even though she's a pretty social kid), which again most reversibles don't.

But regardless of which model you go with, I highly recommend Bugaboo because of customer service.  My stroller broke while we were on vacation in the UK last month--not the stroller's fault--I dragged (literally dragged) it up a flight of stairs in a castle and broke the seat.  I called them crying, and they were able to ship a new seat to our next destination at no cost to me.  I was also immediately notified of the brake issue and sent a repair kit when the Bee was found to have a small brake issue (which has been fixed in the redesign).

I second the suggestion to go to Magic Beans.  If you give them your license, they'll let you take the stroller on a test drive, which I did.

But to buy the stroller, go to Isis.  If you're a member (35 for a year, IIRC) you get 10% off EVERYTHING.  They can't technically discount Bugaboo as the company doesn't allow it, but what they WILL do is discount all the accessories (cupholders etc) and give you a gift card for 10% of the value of the stroller (which you can then use to buy your cup holders, which at 25 bucks a pop, aren't cheap).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rc74. Show rc74's posts

We love our cameleon.  I'm glad we splurged on it.  I was torn between it and the uppababy.  The uppababy now has the avail to attach the 2nd seat.  If they'd had that a few yrs ago I would have gotten that instead.

In Response to Strollers - bugaboo? let me hear it:
    [QUOTE]hi, I am thinking about strollers..... in particular the seemingly controversial Bugaboo models.  I am due just after the holidays, and was originally planning to go with the Graco Snugride carseat and the snap n go frame, putting off the stroller decision until the weather warms up.  now I'm thinking why 'waste' the money on a cheapie frame if I can just do the research and buy a stroller now that will work from the start and last. so, my reasons for considering the Bugaboo (frog or cameleon).  We walk alot - daily - with our dog.  including all kinds of weather - snow/ice, or across grass fields, or on walking trails on town parks.  I don't jog/run and don't need a jogging stroller with huge tires.  I have back problems and probably won't be wearing the baby in a carrier on walks.  I want a stroller that is good on uneven surfaces but also good for shopping and indoors.  we both have a good amount of trunk space in our vehicles, so I'm not concerned about the fold up size being small as possible.  I've seen the resale values on craigslist and don't feel the upfront cost is that bad when you consider how much they go for used.  But I am in no way going for a status stroller and am also weighing that factor in my decision.  will I have to always lock the stroller up and feel self-conscious, like a snob, while pushing it around.  I really like the reversible handle, high chair position, 2-wheel option, bassinet for naps at friends/family's houses before they outgrow it, and small size yet able to handle somewhat rough terrain.  also seems durable and able to buy replacement parts, which is a plus since we will hopefully have more than 1 child and use it again in the future.  anybody have any thoughts?  I've read tons of reviews and have seen it in the store.  but if there is another stroller out there that I should be considering, I'd like to hear about it.  so far, I'm not impressed with the typical travel system strollers - they look very bulky to me, and like they would not function well on our walks.  and the jogging strollers look like more than I need on walks, as well as too big to maneuver in stores.  but if you love or hate the bugaboo or any other stroller, I'd love to hear about it!
    Posted by lesal[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

I went to the store to buy a Bugaboo and walked out with a Uppa baby VISTA. It is the only stroller I use and the only one I've needed so far. I've been using it for 6 months. It's very smooth even on my morning walks - which are on a dirt road!
    We used the bassinet for the first two months. It's made with organic and soy fabrics. Now, we use the regular seat - which is adjustable in 3 positions.
    Also, you can add a second seat for baby #2!

You can read my full review here:
    http://isaidyousaid.wordpress.com/2009/07/03/lulu-loves-uppababy-vista-stroller/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Lesal, if you end up going for a jogger for your all-terrain walks, definitely check out Craigslist. There are always seem to be several posted here for good prices/condition at any one time. I don't know where you live, but consignment shops Kid to Kid (in Natick) and Children's Orchard (there's one in Brookline) often have joggers for good prices.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

You don't need 3 strollers, only 2.  I don't have the storage space for multiple strollers, but had similar needs.  I am a big walker (woods, beach, etc.) so I wanted a good jogging stroller.  We got the BOB and it's great.  However, I also wanted something small, yet functional and got the Mclaren triumph, which is lightweight and fits easily in the car for shopping, travel, etc, AND is super durable and comfy.  I did get a Snap n' Go frame for the infant seat, but we outgrew that by 6 months. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hi Smiley
    I think these might be the three strollers getting discussed when the poster mentioned having three - a snap n go, an umbrella, and heavy duty jogger.  I think more and more, this is the way a lot of people are going.  I second your praise of the BOB.  I can't say enough good things about that stroller.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

yes, those are the 3 strollers I meant...  thanks for everyone's replies, I have been checking in to read them all.

do you find the BOB okay to navigate through the grocery store, drugstore, library, etc?  Every time I read a rave review of the Bugaboos and Uppa I feel like I need to have one :)  I'm wondering if I'll be cursing the BOB when I just need to walk down to CVS or something.  But I also know that we are going to need a jogger at times, and I just can't make the decision on whether the high end stroller will be worth it for our lifestyle until after the baby comes.  The whole stroller thing is too hard to figure out beforehand!  We finally decided that we're going to do the BOB now with the car seat adaptor since we'll be navigating snow banks at times (due in Jan) - and a Snap n Go (probably from craigslist).  but put off the decision on whether to splurge on the high end stroller or go right to an umbrella type until later.  So I am still interested in all your stroller recommendations......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

I can't speak for the BOB since I don't have one....I have the Graco safe seat and the travel system for it (should have bought the snap and go but just never got around to it).  The safe seat is good and I do like the travel system stroller too.  It is good for walks and both my kids have seemed to be comfortable in it.  As for an umbrella stroller - I LOVE my maclaren stroller....I have the single and the double and love them both.  Not sure if this helps since I don't have the BOB....Good luck!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ES57. Show ES57's posts

Hello,

I love strollers too!! I must say the 3 last years the US are catching up with Europe. My son is 3 now! in 2006 I also wanted the bugaboo for him until I saw a British mag for pregos with the LOOLA  stroller, bebe confort makes it. Bebe confort is part of the Dorel group (the same as maxi cosy) and now Maxi cosy is brinking us the LOOLA to the US (with a few positive changes the basket is one of them). I went everywhere with the LOOLA and never had a problem. so the loola has multiple positions (the baby is very comfy to almost a flat one), you can have it face you or the road. very easy to unfold. very compact (it goes in the trunk of my small car) even witha  smaller basket and big bags on the stroller you can easely go through doors!!!
    They have multiple accessories. I also had the windoo which is the bassinet/pram! this one is great to have too even just as a little bed if you go visit friends!!! In some european countries this bassinet is  even car safe (I know people here dislike this idea!)
    the negative in 2006!!! I got my LOOLA shipped from France but their carseat wasn't tested in the US so impossible to get it (they have the carseat too so perfect traveller system) now with Maxi Cosy in the US if you get the LOOLA, the maxi cosy infant seat is compatible with the LOOLA!
    Friends of mine have the Bugaboo Cameleon and they all prefere mine. I must say we got noticed a lot with this traveller system. People always asked me where I got it.
    I did hear some bad stories with Bugaboo!
    If I am pregnant ever again now that my Loola is still like new (and I used it constantly for 18 months!!! lately if I go to the mall I put my son in it he still loves it) I will buy the maxi cosy carseat which is adaptable with the LOOLA!!!!
    I had also the snap and go with the Peg perego carseat!!! the snap and go in comparison of the LOOLA frame is very flemsy!!!
    http://www.maxi-cosi.com/maxicosi/productdetail.aspx?id=72&tn=2
    And yes if you want to see the best of every babygear for to magic beans! very nice store!!!
    I hope this helps!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ES57. Show ES57's posts

here is the website from bebe confort UK site.
     http://www.bebeconfort.com/collection-2009/UK/prom_sortir_1.htm
    it gives you even more info! I have everything except the babycarseat. got all the accessories and was always very happy with it!
    I just wanted one stroller to do it all and this is it!! When I see people with big jogger at the mall I am so happy I have my nice and compact one (I use it now very rarely! but for 18 months it was used daily)
    Happy stroller shopping!