Teaching to hold a bottle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod18. Show capecod18's posts

Teaching to hold a bottle

Does anyone have any advice on how to get my 9 month old to hold his own bottle.  He seemed to get the hang of it a few months ago but since then it doesn't really interest him and he seems more content having someone else hold his bottle.  The little rascal!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: Teaching to hold a bottle

Give him that attention, and be glad mealtime is a social time for him.  He is getting your attention in a nice way, not screaming or any other.

There is no reason whatsoever for a 9 month old to need to hold his bottle independently.  In time, with developmental changes, he will want to.  Then, let him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Hi capecod18,

At 9 months your baby might be ready to start working with a sippy cup, which would save you the trouble of trying to transition to one later (they're supposed to be better for teeth than bottles). We started our daughter on playtex first sipsters (sold at star/shaws, among other places). The dual handles would make it easier for a baby to hold and manipulate than a bottle. They're more-or-less leak-proof, so you can just put EBM or formula in it and let the baby play with it and figure it out. Someone in another thread mentioned a sippy that has some sort of advanced technology which eliminates the need for head-tilting, but I can't recall what it was -- the Nuby, perhaps?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

The sippy that Lemonmelon is referring to is called the Tilty.  http://www.tiltycup.com/ They aren't that easy to find, as they aren't sold in that many places, but the website tells you where to find them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod18. Show capecod18's posts

Thanks guys.  All great advice.  I really don't mind holding the bottle for him.  I was just concerned as I was reading the web (which I should stop doing) and a few sites noted that by 9 months they should be holding their own bottle.  I need to stop reading these sites as I know that all babies are different.  I just bought a few sippy cups last weekend so I will try them this weekend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

All babies are different!  I have twins and they don't even do things at the same time.  DS rolled over at four months and DD didn't do it until six months.
    At nine months she loves to hold her bottle and he wants me to hold his.  He's got 6 teeth and she only has 4.  He babbles all the time - she, much less.  I could go on and on.
    Unfortunately they both figured out how to pull themselves to standing on the same day last week.  I need an extra pair of arms STAT! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Misslily--isn't it so fun, though?  I love that I can clearly see how different babies are from each other without leaving my home.  DS started crawling the day after Xmas and pulled up a week later--day after New Years.  DD started pulling up a couple days before crawling--but almost 2 months after DS!  Now, they're both on track to start walking any day now.  They've both taken a couple of tentative steps.  Of course, after his first one, DS had to take a break to clap for himself when I said "yay!"  He then lost his balance and couldn't be bothered to try again.  I hope they stay this sweet forever!

I can't believe your kids have so many teeth already and are pulling up!  It's really amazing how fast they grow.  Are they being more cooperative about solid foods these days?

I hope you're having fun and enjoying every second!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

We used the playtex drop ins so there was no need to tilt the head back to drink as the liner would colapse as DS sucked and the desgin of the bottle made it so he could just hold it with a few fingers at the bottom, he didn't have to get two hands around it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

capecod18, you're absolutely right about those milestone charts -- they'll really mess with your head! I'm sure your kiddo is doing a-okay, but you may as well let him play with a sippy cup because he'll enjoy it and it will make your life easier in the long run (until he learns to throw it).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

DS never held his own bottle.  His is 5.5 and perfectly fine.  :-)  DD did hold hers.  We used playtex drop-ins for DD and they were easier to hold than the platytex ventaires we used for DS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ERPT. Show ERPT's posts

My son didn't hold his bottle until he was around a year old.  He could actually hold it, but just chose not to.  I think because his bottle was his 'down time'.  Don't worry about it!