Totally OT -- landscaping

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Totally OT -- landscaping

Sorry for the majorly off topic post, but you all give such good advice and I imagine many of you are homeowners. We bought our house last year and there was a ton of landscaping -- flowers, bushes, vines, etc. I got pg almost right away and we just really let it all go bc we never had the time or energy to deal with it. I've tried to weed/prune a few times but I just don't know what to do and don't enjoy it, and it is, consequently, a mess. I just want something presentable and low maintenance, so I'm thinking of hiring landscapers to tear it up and replace it. I reeeeally don't want to spend a ton of money on this. Any tips on saving $ (other than doing it ourselves, which just isn't going to happen)? Does anyone have any guidelines for what you can expect to pay for this stuff? The space is fairly small -- two plots both about 10 x 6 feet or so.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Re: Totally OT -- landscaping

Arcain:

Where do you live?  Close to Reading, MA?  My sister is a landscaper/designer - go to her website and check it out.  She would give you good advice about what to keep and what to get rid of, and what to add for the look you want.  She also does some maintenance, too, I think - not that she'll come by daily and weed, but I do think she offers a maintenance plan, too.  I have no idea how much any of this would cost, but you'd just have to shop around a bit to start getting a sense.  She can install plants, remove plants, but also design the hardscaping (walkways, walls) and think about the general vision you want for your garden.  (none of which you might have thought about, and that's fine, that's HER job!)

www.gardensbydemetra.com

You could also go to a local gardening place (like Mahoney's in Cambridge/Winchester) to see if they have any postings.  You could google it, too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

HGTV.  Or if you just want to rip it out, post a flyer at the grocery store and put something up on line and hire some kids or some odd jobs guy to do it.  If you are talking mature plants and trees and bushes w/ roots, it's going to be hard and probably expensive, unless you don't dig up the roots. 

You may just want to consider cutting everything way back rather than ripping it all out and starting over.  GL!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Ripping out sounds rather drastic if you really want low mainenance. There are about a million landscaping companies - have someone come and prune the bushes and mulch around the plants so the weeds won't grow.

Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I would strongly recommend that you ask your neighbors- we needed to cut back a lot of trees, and the guy that the neighbors recommended was not who I found in the phone book (but ironically, he had worked on our property several times before we moved in.)

ditto on the cost though- having stumps removed, even from 10-15 year old bushes, can run a couple a hundred, especially if you have it ground out. but once you get everything all set, I am sure there are a few teens who do lawn care who will happily weed once a month for 20 bucks.