Transition out of the Pack and Play for Travel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Transition out of the Pack and Play for Travel

My DS, 2 yrs, 4 mths still (barely) fits in his PNP for sleep when we travel. His head and feet are just about bursting out.  I'm hesitant to make the transition as he is still in his crib at home, and I think likes the similar "walls" that the PNP provides like his crib.  He sleeps on a cot at daycare, and on my MIL's couch when are her house.  So I know its possible for him to sleep without the high sides.  But when we travel to places he's not familiar, I have no doubt he'd freak out at trying an actual bed.  We have a cabin up north, and he's been many times, but its probably still somewhat unfamiliar to him.  He's got a sleeping bag he really likes (and has napped on the floor several times).  Shall I try that?  We have a trundle, but he's tried that at my MIL's house and gets scared.

I've seen little inflatable toddler beds for travel.  What do folks use, and how was the transition if your LO was still in their crib?

Thanks all! Happy Friday!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Transition out of the Pack and Play for Travel

There are slim inflatable camping mats you could put under his sleeping bag if you wanted to go that route - it would give him cushioning but not be high enough to fall from like a regular inflatable bed.  But, I really stopped by to say I remember being afraid of trundle beds, too; I secretly feared they'd roll back under the bed and crush me.

Here's one that looks nice and would be easy to travel with

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/

High-Peak-Medium-Self-Inflatable-Camping-Mat/

2651338/product.html

ETA: did your orig post say anything about the cushion?

am I losing my mind?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

IPW - we recently went through this with DD (2.5).  She is still in her crib at home, but for travel the pack n play has been too small since last summer really.  For Christmas we got her a sleeping bag, which she loves and we bought the toddler size inflatable bed from One Step Ahead.  It comes with its own bag and electric pump and has short 'sides' on it to prevent her from rolling out.  She's used it a few times and likes it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

We have used a twin size Aerobed on the floor with DS#1 (since he was about 2.5). He loves it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We are having the exact same dilemma (and still in crib at home with no end in sight!)

I am seriously considering the toddler inflatable bed ALS mentioned, although I balked a little at the price.  Also, we had a Chicco for our pack and play, and for a recent trip we borrowed a Joovy Room2 (something like that) from a friend.  It was really good because it was a lot wider, so by going at an angle DD had plenty of room.  Again, though, not sure I want to make the investment in one at this point.

Need to figure it out soon, since the last time we tried our own PNP, DD was pretty uncomfortable... I'm just not totally okay with her being able to get up and out in rooms that are most distinctly NOT childproof.  Maybe I will try a mat and sleeping bag, plus try to do some childproofing??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

I hear ya on the price of the One Step Ahead bed.  It was definitely more $, but it seemed like good quality so I just went for it.  One thing that we do is when she is sleeping on that (like she did for 3 days when we lost power last weekend and were staying with my in-laws in a definitely non-childproofed room) one of us stays in the room until she is asleep and then we also bring our audio monitor so we can hear if she happens to wake up.  But I definitely miss the confines of the crib!  But we have to get ready to transition her to a big girl bed anyways before DD#2 arrives in June, so I guess this is good practice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

ALS, glad you mentioned that bed... I pause on that page every time I'm flipping through the One Step Ahead catalogue.  It looks as if he would be able to use it for several years (especially if I get the larger one), so I think worth the investment.  And sounds like you give it a plus.  Thanks so much!    We could even put his sleeping bag on top of it (similiar to Kar's suggestion, although he seems to have no problem sleeping on the floor oddly enough).

I think I'll prepare to say goodbye to the PNP after this weekend and order that inflatable bed.  When we aren't traveling, I could probably even leave it at my MIL's and he could use that for naps rather than her couch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I know this is not the case with all kids, but DD is now in a twin bed pushed up against a wall on one side, with a fairly long bed rail on the other side (almost the length of her body) and it does not seem to occur to her that she can get out. I think being "blocked in" on both sides probably has a similar feel to being in the crib. Again, not sure how common this is (I think it was MissLily who said her kids instantly realized they could escape a bed), but a feasible (maybe last-resort) travel option could be bringing along two bed rails and putting DS in a regular bed (if there was one available).

That said, we have not traveled anywhere since the transition. She is going to stay at my in-laws on Sunday night; we'll see what the sleeping situations ends up being. It will either be the guest bed, or her old crib there. Curious where she'll end up!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Poppy - Ha ha ha. My twins managed to escape the cribs at 21 months! There was no keeping them in a bed!

I have no advice or suggestions since we haven't traveled since they got out of the cribs. I'm thinking by the time we do, I won't have to worry so much about them wandering and getting into trouble at night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from malw. Show malw's posts

Laughing.  My twins were both climbing out of their cribs young too - the first one escaped at 17 months. She figured it out first, he followed less than 2 weeks later.  I remember trying to explain at our 18 mos pedi visit why our night routine had blown up, I was in there until they'd fall asleep trying to keep them from climbing out of the crib 20+ times a night.  (her suggestion was just let them climb out and sleep on the floor) We gave up at about twenty months and went to toddler rails.  Son fell out twice that first night - not from rolling, from leaping to his feet and reaching for a now missing crib railing.  She never fell out, he hasn't since.  Not sure if it's the "good" news of the story, but they don't tend to wander or play in their room - they head straight for ours when they wake up :-), at what ever time that may be.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

WE just got back from 3 nights away.  This was DD1's first time sleeping out of the house since we had DD2 so we weren't sure how it was going to go with her not being able to sleep in the PnP.  We bought a twin air mattress and pushed it up against the wall. She did great!  We brought her favorite fleece blanket from home and her pillow and made a big deal about her "vacation bed." She was excited about it.  Definitely a good cheap option - we went with a very cheap air mattress because we figured she only weighs 30+ lbs and didn't need one with all the bells and whistles.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wasMM379. Show wasMM379's posts

We have the One Step Ahead mattress - very well made, easy to set up, and love the bumpers.  However, DS used it post PNP (we travel to out of state family often) and because he moved a lot in his sleep, there was a bit of a "rustling" b/c of the material it was made of, but I think that would happen with any air mattress.  The plus side is the bumpers helped a lot with his moving!  However, the rustling was enough to wake him up a few times and when sharing a room with him away, wasn't the most fun for me.  I really do think it is a good product overall, however, and now that DD is almost 2 and probably getting too big for the PNP herself, I am willing to give it another try.