Travel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Travel

In two weeks (yikes!) we're headed to Ireland with DH whole family. As DH puts it this is not a vacation it is a trip.  We're going to a new city every 2-3 nights and have full days booked from 8am on.  We have a van with a driver that will take us to the sites.  (this is not really a trip for a toddler huh?) Now that the itinerary is finalized I am starting to wonder how this will go with LO.  DS at 15 months takes a nap from 12-2, and of course we won't be near a hotel except for one day out of our week trip at this time.  We are doing day excursions anywhere from 1-3 hr drives from our hotel each day.   Before I saw the itinerary I thought, well, if DS is fussy or something we'll just hang back at the hotel, but then we'll be missing out on seeing everything.   I guess I will not know how it will work until we get there and see how he sleeps. Hoping he sleeps in the car rides, but we will be leaving at 8am from the hotels so thinking he won't nap then.   I have an ergo and a uppa baby g-luxe that reclines.  He has never slept in an ergo and hasn't slept in a stroller since about 5 months.  He's not a sleep anywhere kind of kid (even in the car), but maybe he'll just be so exhausted that he does.    
      I have gone back and read lots of posts (and blogs) about traveling with toddlers and got lots of advice for the plane etc.  I feel like I have those details under control, how it will really go is another story (leaving at 7:30 pm getting there 6 am IRE time)! 
       Any advice is helpful! I am sure that I just need to go with the flow and not have any expectations before we leave.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Travel

Ajuly - I don't have any advice, but wanted to say have a nice trip!  I hope everything works out as well as it can.  I would have the same concerns as you, but I'm sure it will work itself out.  And keep telling yourself that one week of chaos will not permanantly throw off DS's schedule!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: Travel

Just got back from a week camping with 8 other families, with kids 11 mths to 17 years old. All over the map in ages and what they wanted to do. We were in a trailer and like all of the above suggestions, just let DS lead the way (21 mths). He did so well. His bedtime is, at the latest, 7:30 at home. And he was up until 9:30 one night. And also like others, his internal clock going off at 5:50-6am. But, even those days after a smaller sleep, he did great. Napped a few times in his pack and play (thank goodness slept really well in it too at night, although by far the last time we can use it I think because of his length). Napped several times in the car at random times. Even napped once from 4:30-6:30pm and went to bed around 8 that night. We also allowed a few bottles not during regular morning only time, and the binky a few times during non sleep times. But already back one day, and those "habits" are gone. And he's back on his regular schedule already. My only suggestion would be let him run, get out, exercise as much as possible since you guys will be sitting for a lot more than he's used to. At his age, he's got energy to burn. That helped us tremendously, just tuckering DS out every day. And have fun!!