Traveling with Carseats - Necessary?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from codog24. Show codog24's posts

Traveling with Carseats - Necessary?

We are taking a family trip to Florida next month - me, my husband, 2.5 year old and 8 month old. Do we have to bring our carseats or can I rely on the ones from the rental car company? I have heard the car seats from the rental car companies are not exactly the latest models, but I am trying to weigh that against the inconvenince of schlepping the kids, luggage, stroller, and carseats through the airport. Any advice from frequent flyer moms?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Re: Traveling with Carseats - Necessary?

Wow...a mom asking if it is OK not to move heaven and earth, and to do something that is practical and reasonably safe instead of the optimum thing possible, and allowing other persons to be a factor in her children's safety..perhaps even questioning whether the perfect needs to be the enemy of the good for absolutely everything.

I believe this is a sign of the apocalypse.

Seriously, though...if you take your own car seats, and you are renting a car of a different model than your own, the car seats are not going to have the "ideal" fit you got with your car.  Can you live with pretty good and legal? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

We've done a bunch of trips with our now 2 year old and have always brought our carseat. Most airlines let you check them for free (at least Jetblue, Southwest and Alaska do) so you really don't have to lug them too far through the airport. They also usually have big plastic bags for you to put them in to protect them. I've heard a couple anecdotes of people having bad experiences with the rental car carseats - mostly that they are unfamiliar seats and they had trouble installing them properly. Also, I've heard that the rental car companies do not provide any information about installation and they won't help you (I guess due to liability). As I see it, the benefits of bringing your own seat include 1) familiarity of knowing how to install it quickly and also the straps will be adjusted properly 2) it's free, I think most rentals add $10/day 3) you know your kids will be safe and comfortable in them.  Though, it definitely adds to the load of stuff you have to lug into the airport, especially with 2 kids! Good luck! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

The rental guy will say, "We used to but then someone got sued," which is corporate-speak for "Not our problem because it's a pain in the neck, but we'll blame lawsuits because then we don't have to do it, but it sounds like we care."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We travel frequently, and when renting a car we always bring our own seats. The ease of installation, and familiarity is nice. I've always checked them for free with no hassle.

the cost of renting them per day is definitely worth the hassle to DH of carrying them into the airport to get checked.

I've also checked the stroller and just wore DD in the ergo carrier in the airport. the less stuff we're lugging around in the terminal the better! (Learned this while connecting in Munich and their general lack of elevators). Check as much stuff as you can-its worth the price!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedplan. Show Wedplan's posts

my family just took a trip to florida with my sons (1 & 2.5) we brought our carseats and used them on the plane and in the rental car.  I posted a brief summary of our experience in the Carseats on Southwest thread.  If you do decide to bring carseats, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the GoGo Babyz travelmates - they were worth their wait in gold for trucking through the airport.  The boys were both comfortable in their seats (we did purchase tickets for both of them so we could use the carseats on the plane).  The baby fell asleep for most of both flights so to me the added expense was worth it - plus his is not a small 1 yr old and I didn't want him on my lap for 3+ hours squirming. :)

I hope you have a great trip. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from codog24. Show codog24's posts

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I guess we'll bite the bullet and bring the carseats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from codog24. Show codog24's posts

In response to purplecow89's comment:

Wow...a mom asking if it is OK not to move heaven and earth, and to do something that is practical and reasonably safe instead of the optimum thing possible, and allowing other persons to be a factor in her children's safety..perhaps even questioning whether the perfect needs to be the enemy of the good for absolutely everything.

I believe this is a sign of the apocalypse.

This post made my day :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedplan. Show Wedplan's posts

In response to codog24's comment:

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I guess we'll bite the bullet and bring the carseats.

One other thing - i was able to get the gogo babyz travelmates on Craigslist and saved a bundle.  We were able to strap the carseat to the gogo travelmate and then put the kids in the carseats - we were even able to wheel them right onto the plain - it was a tight squeeze but it worked great. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I've only done it twice, but I used the rental carseats and they were fine.  Not super fancy, but all car seats have to pass standard safety testing and installation was a breeze if you're familiar with car seat installation (usually the simple clips and a strap).  I didn't want the extra hassle of lugging the seats through the airport, along with the kids and our luggage.  Just wanted to let you know it's a viable option if you're consiering it.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

coming late to the game, but i also used rental car seats for a trip to FL with my 2yo twins and it was FINE.  seriously.  if it's easier to not bring them, then DON'T.  your kid can't live in a bubble forever!  :) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Glad to hear it!